WFAN: FIRING Of Layden ?!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
3.30 on WFAN

i just read it on the realgm boards. i don't know if it's true or not, but looked quite serious.
man if this is so, i won't ask Santa Clause for gifts 3 years from now :)

it would be just to good to be true!!

Layden's replacement: Isiah Thomas

allan20

Benchwarmer
YESSS! It's true!!!
the news is everywhere, can't believe it! this is the best thing it's happening to me this year!
although it makes me wonder how come they choose thomas instead, i'm glad we got rid of that scum

Swifftey

Benchwarmer
this is absolutely HUGE!!
don't worry guys, thomas isn't worse than laydick (i think)

Here's some articles:

CBS Sportsline
NEW YORK -- Scott Layden was fired Monday as president of the New York Knicks and Isiah Thomas was hired to replace him, a source told the Associated Press.

The move comes after New York missed the playoffs the past two seasons with a roster largely assembled by Layden. The Knicks are 10-18 this season, and recent speculation centered on coach Don Chaney possibly losing his job.

Instead, the odd man out is Layden, who replaced Ernie Grunfeld in the summer of 1999 after the Knicks were coming off an appearance in the NBA Finals.

The team scheduled an afternoon news conference but would not specify what was being announced. An Eastern Conference official who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed Layden was out and Thomas in.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/6946487

ESPN
Scott Layden was fired Dec. 22 as president of the Knicks and Isiah Thomas was hired to replace him, a source told The Associated Press. The move comes after the Knicks missed the playoffs the past two seasons with a roster largely assembled by Layden. The Knicks are 10-18 this season, and recent speculation centered on coach Don Chaney possibly losing his job. Instead, the odd man out is Layden, who replaced Ernie Grunfeld in the summer of 1999 after the Knicks were coming off an appearance in the NBA Finals. The team scheduled an afternoon news conference but would not specify what was being announced. An Eastern Conference official who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed Layden was out and Thomas in.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=nyk

ESPN

NEW YORK -- Scott Layden was fired Monday as president of the New York Knicks and Isiah Thomas was hired to replace him, a source told The Associated Press.

The move comes after New York missed the playoffs the past two seasons with a roster largely assembled by Layden. The Knicks are 10-18 this season, and recent speculation centered on coach Don Chaney possibly losing his job.

Instead, the odd man out is Layden, who replaced Ernie Grunfeld in the summer of 1999 after the Knicks were coming off an appearance in the NBA Finals.

The team scheduled an 3:30 p.m. ET news conference but would not specify what was being announced. An Eastern Conference official who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed Layden was out and Thomas in.

Thomas has been out of the NBA since being fired over the summer by the Indiana Pacers, where he was the coach for three seasons.

"I want to stay in coaching," Thomas told the AP last month. "I enjoy it. I had a great deal of success helping shape and mold young people, making the playoffs with the youngest team to do it in 25 years. I got bit by the bug.

"I'll wait for my next opportunity," he said. "I wouldn't rule out college but I prefer the pro game."

Thomas' first task with the Knicks will be evaluating a roster with the league's highest payroll and ascertaining whether any of those massive contracts can be moved in a trade.

Layden's last major move was the four-team deal that sent Latrell Sprewell to Minnesota and brought Keith Van Horn to New York.

The deal has looked tilted in the Timberwolves' favor over the first two months of the season as Sprewell has averaged 17.2 points for Minnesota while Van Horn has struggled, averaging 14.8 points and getting benched for the fourth quarter of several recent games.

Prior to the Van Horn trade, Layden's biggest move came on draft night in 2002 when he sent Marcus Camby, Mark Jackson and the Knicks' lottery pick to Denver for Antonio McDyess.

McDyess fractured his kneecap in an exhibition game and missed the entire 2002-03 season, finally returning 11 games ago.

With the Knicks losing regularly while failing to draw the sellout crowds that were a staple during the 1990s, Layden became a lightning rod for criticism.

The anti-Layden feeling was so strong in New York that when LeBron James was selected with the overall No. 1 pick in the draft last June, commissioner David Stern's announcement of the selection was drowned out by a loud chant of "Fire Layden."

James Dolan, chairman of the team's corporate owner, Cablevision, notified Layden of the move late Monday morning, the AP's source said.

Layden did not answer a call placed to his cell phone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1692143

NYK Man8

Benchwarmer
maybe thomas isn't the best coach solution but i'll take him in a second if chaney's fired also

Great News!

GhostNYK

Benchwarmer
the best solution would be to bring doc rivers as a head coach while thomas remains the GM
now finaly williams will start, and who knows, we might even win

not in my wildest dreams i wouldn't have dreamed to this

SpreeFan

Benchwarmer
so long scottie boy, have a great time, you can take chaney with you but only if you guys don't forget to write