Isiah kicks H20 to the curb

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I want to see you at the age of 36 and a bad leg and running 20 minutes straight. You a knick hater. Give the guy respect for tryin. and thats Allan Houston to you! ;)

King Crab

Rookie
Hi everyone! Newbie here....been a Knick fan (even though I live somewhere far way) since 1993. I've been a supporter since the Ewing/Starks/Oakley era and up to now (though I surprise myself for this).

I've been a fan of Allan Houston ever since we got him back in 1996. Yes, I admit that the Knicks had overpaid him when his contract was renewed (I would have probably only given him 60% of what he was paid). I believe though that we cannot condemn him for that, a good future for your family would be quite a temptation. And from what I've heard from Allan, he has been doing a lot of charity work, so he's giving back to society what was bestowed on him.

I am extremely saddened that H20's comeback attempt to the Knicks had been cut short. He was not given a legit chance. Even Jamal Crawford admitted that H20 still could shoot...and that he was able to keep up guarding a highly athletic and energetic Wilson Chandler. However, six minutes in a preseason game? Why do I have a feeling that our beloved GM Isiah Thomas is afraid of H20 having a good game and showing that he still has something left?

Allan Houston would at least have been a solid veteran presence. Like John Starks serving as a mentor to him, Allan's presence "might" have had a positive impact on Jamal Crawford. As good as Jamal is now, he still has not been able to breakthrough to the level H20 had reached. There is a chance that Allan might have helped Jamal in that aspect.

Finally, this leads me to everybody's favorite GM. I respect Isiah Thomas as a player, I respect him as an evaluator of talent, but he has not done anything to earn respect as the GM of my favorite team in the NBA. I would not even go to the ugly out-of-court issues.

What really is his vision of the team? Does he want to build a run-and-gun team? This is what I got when he traded Kurt Thomas for Q and then got Jerome James ( a shotblocking space eater who is used to playing with an outside shooting team). Or does he want to build a grind-it, pound the ball down low team, the idea I got when he traded two high 1st round picks for Eddy Curry.

The closest thing I got to a vision was when he traded for Zach Randolph and said that he wanted a "power athletic" team and wanted to go low post every possession (thanks for telling everyone what our strategy is, though it is pretty obvious how to beat us). Does he want the Knicks to win by simply outscoring opponents (with our main big men having no defense)? If ever he preached defense in camp, I do not see the team having it soon, with the way the Knicks have been playing.

It is obvious Thomas wants the best possible talent, however this does not necessarily result in a synergy effect on the team. He has had signings which are redundant and not value adding (like overpay Jared Jeffries with a full MLE then draft Renaldo Balkman, a better player who is much cheaper).

If you look at the 1994 New York Knicks team, we did not have the best team out there in terms of talent. In terms of talent, the current team is better than that of the teams that reached the Finals in 1994 and 1999. Those two Eastern Conference champion teams, however, had tons of heart and played excellent defense. Only a very few players in this current team fits that description. We were just one decent game from Starks in order to win the championship in '94.

Until Isiah realizes this "lack of vision", we are not going to go anywhere far. I really hope he proves me wrong but I do not see this happening. I just have been let down a lot of times already. Allan Houston would have helped the young Knicks have a winning attitude, but Isiah just has too much pride to give H20 a chance (he wants it to be HIS team).

I admire Allan Houston's class in handling the situation...and it is unfortunate that he will not be given a second chance to redeem himself. However, with the current leadership the Knicks have at the GM Position, it might have been for the best.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
I want to see you at the age of 36 and a bad leg and running 20 minutes straight. You a knick hater. Give the guy respect for tryin. and thats Allan Houston to you! ;)

nah i respect allan houston for what he has done for the knicks but his time has past, its bad to see a player who was a force struggle to get to the other side of the court like ewing was when he was in da magics, honestly I wouldnt cut anybody for em, i would take nichols over em and it looks like he wont make da team, even if jerome james was to be cut but i would have still liked nichols to get the spot over houston

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
the only reason why houston resigned was because he knew isiah would cut him and u cant cut one of the best players in knicks history so houston saved his embarasement. So isiah likes fat jerome james who is out for the season,over allan houston. i cant believe isiah the sexual harasser no class piece a crap.

NYKnicks15

Starter
guys can we atleast get the facts straight... hate zeke or not.. ALLAN HOUSTON decided to end his comeback. it is true isiah gave him the chance because of dolan and needing an upgrade in morale/pr BUT it was H20 who was well aware that he wasnt ready to suit up just quite yet. you can bash isiah all you want, thats fine by me could care less... but lets atleast get the facts striaght when we do

NYC-BOY

Benchwarmer
Come On People

:gony:\
Allan quit you really thing Dolan let Isiah force him out you must be crazy. Dolan would have gotten rid of almost everyone on the team for Allan he loves the guy. You guys dont even make any since if you truly beleive Isiah kicked him off the team he just felt he wasnt ready yet

Kiyaman

Legend
In a press release handed out at the Knicks' open practice at Hofstra University yesterday, Houston said he decided to end his comeback wit h the club, feeling it was unfair to the team because he needed more time to get into game shape than the Knicks had to give.

Allan Houston is a big threat to Isiah Thomas.
As soon as Isiah Thomas is Fired, Allan Houston and a couple other ex-Knick players will be in the front-office.

The past showed that Isiah Thomas was not strong enough for Allan Houston. And now, Isiah did not invite Allan Houston to camp and can not
cut or waive Allan Houston. So stop with the assumptions this is a multimillion dollar bussiness.

If the Dolan Family want Allan Houston on the roster this season then Allan Houston would be on the 2007-8 roster.
Allan Houston did his Job in checking out Syracuse Star Player Demetris Nicholes vs Isiah Thomas Pet Player Fred Jones.

pat

Starter
Allan Houston is a big threat to Isiah Thomas.
As soon as Isiah Thomas is Fired, Allan Houston and a couple other ex-Knick players will be in the front-office.

The past showed that Isiah Thomas was not strong enough for Allan Houston. And now, Isiah did not invite Allan Houston to camp and can not
cut or waive Allan Houston. So stop with the assumptions this is a multimillion dollar bussiness.

If the Dolan Family want Allan Houston on the roster this season then Allan Houston would be on the 2007-8 roster.
Allan Houston did his Job in checking out Syracuse Star Player Demetris Nicholes vs Isiah Thomas Pet Player Fred Jones.

To me that sounds a bit too much like an average conspiracy.

We all don't know what happened. But H20 just doesn't seem to be the guy who would say he is ready to play one week and saying he is not the next. It just seems fishy to me.

Last edited:

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I think even with bad knees and poor defense, his shooting touch would have probably been enough to keep him. waive/trade a few heads like James, Rose and whoever else... but it wasn't in the cards.
For people to believe that Isiah, at this point, has enough pull to force Houston to retire is str8 crazy and foolish. If he did, then houston would not have been on the team in the first place. Houston knew, that at this time, he couldn't compete. If the knicks make some trades and are competive laterin the season, don't be surprised to see Houston pull a Roger Clemens.

The positives that need to be seen from this move is, D-Nich will probably stay on the team, with James out (please waive his azz) and no reason to force a spot for Houston, it gives D-Nich the opportunity to make the team, hopefully he gets ample minutes in the next few games...

NYC-BOY

Benchwarmer
Agreed well Somewhat

I believe Jeffries has stepped it up defensively anyway but James yeah he can go. And for all the people haiting on Curry he held KG to 13 points its not his fault the rest of his team cant hold down there positions defensivly he was having his own problems in the paint. Curry stepped it up let him do him

:gony:

Kiyaman

Legend
To me that sounds a bit too much like an average conspiracy.

We all don't know what happened. But H20 just doesn't seem to be the guy who would say he is ready to play one week and saying he is not the next. It just seems fishy to me.

I'm not saying that Allan Houston did not want to come back and play at least one season in the NBA as a reserve Guard off the bench for a Playoff team. What I'm implicating is both Miami and Nets showed interest in Allan Houston comeback and offered him a ticket for Training Camp.
All of a sudden the Knicks come into the picture and give Allan Houston "Something" to make him stop and think.
Which made him not report on the first day of Training-Camp to any of the offers that were givin to him by the next team.
I do not think Allan Houston forgot any of the humiliation that Isiah Thomas put him through to think that Isiah would want him on the Knick roster.
Allan Houston is way to bright for that, so the Dolans had to offer him a position in the Front-Office if things dont work out well this season with Isiah Thomas. Allan Houston got a great chance to take a good look at all the Knick-Players and coaching staff while in the Knicks training-camp.

Why did the Knicks give Allan Houston that BIG Contract after the 1999 FINALS?
Maybe because Allan Houston accepted and played well with the Knicks New acqusitions that season of Kurt Thomas, Camby, and Sprewell.
Something that Ewing & Coach JVG did not do which caused a Fist fight right outside of MSG with G.M. Ernie Grunfield and Coach JVG. Which had G.M. Ernie Grunfield FIRED the next day. So the Owner Dolan gave FA Allan Houston that contract to stay and be the Captain of this Knick Team while Ewing was screamming publically that he wants to be traded...

nyk_nyk

All Star
It's probably best that H20 decided to call it quits again because the Knicks need to solidify positions now before the season begins. Honestly, I think between Marbury, Crawford, Q and Nate we are okay (not great but ok) at the guard position. I'm guessing that Allan's role would have been very minimal, especially against teams that feature quick backcourts.
The best teams are the ones that have their roles cleary defined among the players.