A new floor general needed

knicklover

Benchwarmer
The only reason why marbury wasnt made a 2 before was because we didnt have a pg to replace him now we do we should make it happen :gony:

Agree totally.

Marbury is not a natural point guard. He can put up stats that make it SEEM LIKE HE's a POINT GUARD, but he doesn't make anyone else on the team better or create plays.

He stands around and dribbles the ball in place too often and for too long. Then has to do something crazy to bail himself out of a tough spot on the clock.

When he drives he puts up too many crazy shots.

When he dishes he doesn't dish in a way that gives the Knicks an easy basket. Someone has to make a tough shot off the dish and when they do he gets the assist. Big deal.

A real point guard is always creating difficult situations for the defense and when he dishes he creates an easy shot for his team mate.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
Curry
Randolph
Balkman/ Lee when we go big.
Richardson
Marbury

When Collins is 100%, we should go with:

Curry
Randolph
Balkman/Lee
Marbury (shooting guard)
Collins (PG)

Lee can also spell either Curry or Randolph when we are playing Balkman.

This would give us 5/6 players playing at their correct position and enough energy, youth and defense to compete with almost anyone. All we need is for Mardy Collins to be 100% healthy (and Balkman too of course) and for him to develop a little from where he was late last year when he showed so much poise and potential. Pray for Collins to get it all together because this is the line up that will rock NY. Remember this post.

metrocard

Legend
When will you guys learn Marbury is NOT a SG?

The only time I fully disagree with Kiyaman is his assessment on Marbury and his infatuation with Robinson.

GTKnicksFAN

Benchwarmer
you guys I wanna change something I said about nate robinson not being able to be the first option floor general ... I'm watching the preseason game he is doing great and is being a great leader and passer he doing a little of everything I'm going to qoute mike breeen '' you put a cerieble approach to his athletisum, you can have a heck of a player'' I believe that and he's been watching videos of really good point guards nash, davis, billups not a bad selection.

NYC-BOY

Benchwarmer
LOl

To all those who were hating on my boy Nate ive been telling yall since summer league it would be a mistake to trade this guy damn he was doing his thing. I dont want to hear anyone say it dosnt count this was a preseason game well neither team played like it was a pre season game the big 3 on boston played almost 40 minutes each and the only reason we were able to switch it up so much is of course our bench is so much deaper.

Crawford did well at the 1 spot today i still would rather see him come off the bench though but he did make some good passes into the paint not as good as Nates but still good.

Please people dont start hoping or wanting Nate to start not with this line up he is much better suited coming of the bench with the running team. Nates D is rediculous to he was the best all around player in the game i see what Isiah was talking about him being the best player in practice it showed today.

:gony:

knicklover

Benchwarmer
Nate is OK as a backup. He's a gifted athlete and will improve, but he's too darn small in many spots to be the starting PG or SG. He'll be a liability on defense.

jzero29

Rotation player
the problem isn't at point, well not exactly

the problem is Crawford tends to run the offense, and he is not a point guard. Put the ball back in marbury's hands, bench crawford, Start q at guard. give that a shot for now, play crawford less, let him be a spark off the bench, don't run offense through him.

pat

Starter
On the real, Marbury has been the worst Starting PG in this league ever since he was with the N.J. Nets. He is a Halfcourt offense PG that can not pass off his dribble which leads to alot of his teammates getting turnovers from his passes. Marbury brings the ball down the court after the oponent is already setup on defense making it hard to get an easy basket.

The N.J. Nets gave up on Marbury leading their team, the Phoenix Suns gave up on Marbury leading their team, and Isiah Thomas does'nt mind that Marbury has average him a 33 WIN season for the last FOUR Knick Seasons by leading this team.

Nate Robinson is a great back-up PG to bring off the bench with some fresh running legs that play both ends of the court.
Nate would be a better Starting PG than Marbury on this team if he did not have to Start with slow Halfcourt offense teammates (Curry, Zach, Q.Rich, Jefferies, and Crawford) that has no defensive mind set.

I dont think Collins could run the PG position with Marbury or Crawford demanding the ball from him everytime on offense.
Collins could do very well if the coach gave him confidence to do his own thang on the court.

I agree with you 100%.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Nate is OK as a backup. He's a gifted athlete and will improve, but he's too darn small in many spots to be the starting PG or SG. He'll be a liability on defense.

This is true. Marbury is one of those players a lot of guys don't know how to coach. He's a natural born scorer. The last two seasons Marbury has shown that he can be a team player but no team will get the best of him as a PG. He'd be an all-star every year if we let him loose as a SG. I'd much rather have Blake and have Steph work on his jumper and three ball then have him pass to some other inconsistent shooter.

jzero29

Rotation player
I agree

This is true. Marbury is one of those players a lot of guys don't know how to coach. He's a natural born scorer. The last two seasons Marbury has shown that he can be a team player but no team will get the best of him as a PG. He'd be an all-star every year if we let him loose as a SG. I'd much rather have Blake and have Steph work on his jumper and three ball then have him pass to some other inconsistent shooter.
Well said, marbury used to be a force offensively, hten he'd get his assists. Now he passes first and he can't help it if that first pass is to a streaky player in crawford. Crawford is like a skid mark in a knicks uniform.

Martice

Rookie
As far as Marbury goes, I think the whole team was playing on high emotional levels. Every one was a little more aggressive than usual. You can tell Zeke had them pumped and the fact this very team blew them out just a few days ago, was probably the reason why every one was a little quick to shoot.

I think Marbury is going to have his best year. However, in the game last night against Boston, the team stalled when he was at point. The offense clicked regardless when Nate was in. He didnt just play with the reserves either. He played with the starting line up as well.

As far as Collins starting, I don't think so. In fact, Marbury is staying the starter and you can forget Collins taking Nate's spot. With Collins, you give up the scoring threat that Nate and Marbury brings. If that threat is not there, teams will just pack it in down low around our post threats. With a scoring PG, teams have to respect the top of the key which makes the entry pass to our post threats easier. You may remember last year, teams just surrounding Curry. A consistent scoring PG and 2 will stop that from happening so much. The key is patience and reacting to what the defense is taking away from you. Marbury and Nate have the ability to take advantage of what a defense is trying to take away from you.

Also, the idea of Nate being too small I don't buy. Nate is short but he plays big when he has to. I think he plays bigger than Collins. Note I didn't say he is bigger than Collins. There is a difference. Offenses have to take more into account when Nate is defending. They know they area one mistake away from a fast break when Nate is on them. He can jump and he is not light in the ass either.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
As far as Marbury goes, I think the whole team was playing on high emotional levels. Every one was a little more aggressive than usual. You can tell Zeke had them pumped and the fact this very team blew them out just a few days ago, was probably the reason why every one was a little quick to shoot.

I think Marbury is going to have his best year. However, in the game last night against Boston, the team stalled when he was at point. The offense clicked regardless when Nate was in. He didnt just play with the reserves either. He played with the starting line up as well.

As far as Collins starting, I don't think so. In fact, Marbury is staying the starter and you can forget Collins taking Nate's spot. With Collins, you give up the scoring threat that Nate and Marbury brings. If that threat is not there, teams will just pack it in down low around our post threats. With a scoring PG, teams have to respect the top of the key which makes the entry pass to our post threats easier. You may remember last year, teams just surrounding Curry. A consistent scoring PG and 2 will stop that from happening so much. The key is patience and reacting to what the defense is taking away from you. Marbury and Nate have the ability to take advantage of what a defense is trying to take away from you.

Also, the idea of Nate being too small I don't buy. Nate is short but he plays big when he has to. I think he plays bigger than Collins. Note I didn't say he is bigger than Collins. There is a difference. Offenses have to take more into account when Nate is defending. They know they area one mistake away from a fast break when Nate is on them. He can jump and he is not light in the ass either.

You are making a lot of good points, but Nate will be a defensive liability against a lot of teams and in some other situations. (not to mention the possibility of him spontanously combusting on occasion under extreme pressure) That's why he has to be a bench player. He'll be great in spots, but you have to pick the spots.

Collins has some decent skills and the temperment to be a starting PG. Yes he also has some limitations, but you could use him day in and day out and be OK. The problem this year is that he's coming off the injury and has not looked good at all. I think we have to judge his potential off late last season and hope he recovers soon.

Marbury is a talented guy without a position. He is a terrible point guard and not really a SG either (though he's better at the #2). I don't care what the stats say or what delusional people want to believe. A good PG CREATES EASY SHOTS for his teamates, makes them better, and also causes problems for the defense. Steph does none of that. That's why everyone else gave up on him. He stands around dribbling until there's no time on the clock or he drives and either puts up a terrible shot or makes a deperation pass. Sure he can score that way because he gets fouled or hits a deperation shot, but you don't win that way.

Last edited: