Keep James and waive Nichols???

nixon7

Benchwarmer
This move (waiving Nichols rather than buying out James) made no sense in terms of on-court value as a player. Especially on a team that seems to have major problems consistently nailing the plethora of open jump shots due to Curry/Randolph triple-teams.

The only thing that makes sense is that James is more valuable for salary-cap reasons (one of those strange "valuable because of the bad contract" scenarios).

Do the Knicks want to let James come off the cap by "injury" retirement or use James as salary-cap relief trade-bait? Or they are completely insane?

Is James valuable as trade-bait between now and the trade deadline? Or only during the next off-season?

Or will he be forced into injury retirement (or natural retirement) by the Knicks? If so, when?

I realize that the NBA (sadly) is more of a business than a game. But I have never really understood this side of things.

Does anyone out there know how all these scenarios work (under current league rules)?

They won't buy out James, becuase they gave such a big contract they now need to let him try to work it out. Otherwise Dolan and Thomas look bad.

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
Well I think James is not worth keeping. He was injured most of the last season. Even though he's a good player, he's unhealthy. Demetris Nichols is good player. He played outstanding basketball during the summer league. I think he should stay. He's young, healthy, and talented. I say keep Nichols and waive James.

jzero29

Rotation player
What a waste!!!

They won't buy out James, becuase they gave such a big contract they now need to let him try to work it out. Otherwise Dolan and Thomas look bad.
It's a waste keeping him, your going to pay him anyway to do nothing, the only added expence would be that of nichols rookie contract, which wouldn't be that much. So we could have paid james to do nothing and kept nichols for what nichols cost. Or paid james to do nothing and release nichols. hmmm, sounds like a no brainer.
Well I think James is not worth keeping. He was injured most of the last season. Even though he's a good player, he's unhealthy. Demetris Nichols is good player. He played outstanding basketball during the summer league. I think he should stay. He's young, healthy, and talented. I say keep Nichols and waive James.
Even if he was healthy he's not good, he's fat out of shape, loser. and just for argument sake, you keep james, he returns, now you have to bench morris, halt his development for jerome james, to lug his fat ass around the court?

NYC-BOY

Benchwarmer
Damn

Yeah this was a stupid move letting nichols go now when lebron makes his move to the basket he has a pure shooter and you know how are perimeter shooting is right now i just hope he dosnt kill us the first game we play them damn, this was a stupid move.

:agreed:

umynot

Benchwarmer
James can end up as something!!

Penny cause of his contract ended up being valuable in the final year due to the fact that his contract came off the cap!!
That is most likely the way Isiah is thinking!!
Not to mention big men are scarce!!
We also have the fact that players we trade end up doing better elsewhere!! Hence Tim Thomas , Ariza ,Camby (Even though he was already the man)(Damn Van Gundy)& Mohamed!!
Nichols looks clutch but would have never gotten run anyway!!!
LETS GET KOBE!!!!!!

paris401

Starter
Penny cause of his contract ended up being valuable in the final year due to the fact that his contract came off the cap!!
That is most likely the way Isiah is thinking!!
Not to mention big men are scarce!!
We also have the fact that players we trade end up doing better elsewhere!! Hence Tim Thomas , Ariza ,Camby (Even though he was already the man)(Damn Van Gundy)& Mohamed!!
Nichols looks clutch but would have never gotten run anyway!!!
LETS GET KOBE!!!!!!

so we should keep burger-king james .... not only for this year (07-08) but also the following year (08-09) and thru feb 10 (trading deadline) cause he will be 'valuable' for his expiring contract... the only person he will ever be valuable to is the owner of the local burger king franchise....

as to big men being scarce... i'll take pee-wee herman before this large tub of lard...

umynot

Benchwarmer
so we should keep burger-king james .... not only for this year (07-08) but also the following year (08-09) and thru feb 10 (trading deadline) cause he will be 'valuable' for his expiring contract... the only person he will ever be valuable to is the owner of the local burger king franchise....

as to big men being scarce... i'll take pee-wee herman before this large tub of lard...

I Was just referring to Isiah's thinking not mine!!