newyork-knicks.jpg

Friday, 7:30pm
The Day Before Cotto killls Mosley
vs. Magic
TV: MSGHD, NBALP
At: Madison Square Garden

startersfk7.jpg

79978003xa5.jpg

The Orlando Magic look to build upon the best road start in team history as they head to Madison Square Garden on Friday night to face the New York Knicks.

The Magic (4-1) split their first two games of the season at home before starting a four-game road swing. They've gone 3-0 so far, including a 105-96 victory in Toronto on Wednesday night, but to finish the trip without a loss, they'll have to hand the Knicks their first loss in three home games.

"I like the way our team is responding," first-year Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said. "Of course, I'd like it better if we'd just win by 15, but I like the way our team is responding. That's the way you're going to have to play to win games on the road in this league. I'm very, very pleased with them right now."

The scoring of Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis has been the primary reason for the Magic's fast start. Each player had 24 points on Wednesday, and Turkoglu added a career-high 15 rebounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
Lewis, who signed a $118 million contract in the offseason to join the Magic, is hitting 58.3 percent from the field to rank among the league leaders -- surprising for a player who does much of his work on the perimeter. He's averaging a team-leading 23.2 points and has made a team-high 17 3-pointers in 29 attempts (58.6 percent).

Many thought Turkoglu's role would decrease somewhat considering, like Lewis, he's also a 6-foot-10 small forward who spends most of his time on the outside. But the Turkish star is off to the best start of his career, averaging 20.8 points, 7.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists -- numbers that are considerably better than his previous season highs.

That duo along with center Dwight Howard's consistency (18.8 ppg, 13.0 rpg) closer to the hoop has given Orlando one of the most productive front lines in the league.

New York (2-1) lost its season opener at Cleveland, but has rebounded with home wins over Minnesota and Denver.

Offseason acquisition Zach Randolph has helped boost the team's middle-of-the-pack scoring numbers from last season, averaging 19.3 points and 13.7 rebounds. Along with center Eddy Curry (18.7 ppg), New York is not having trouble scoring points, which was very evident in its 119-112 win over Denver on Wednesday.

"I think that's what (coach) Isiah (Thomas) had in mind when he brought Zach in here," Curry said after scoring 24 points on 11-of-16 shooting. "I had a lot of fun (against Denver). This is probably the most fun I had in a basketball game."

A revived Jamal Crawford also has helped the Knicks improve offensively. The career 40-percent shooter, known for taking a high volume of shots, is still shooting the ball quite a bit - but is hitting more often. Crawford is averaging 24.7 points while shooting 47 percent from the field.

The Knicks have transformed from the league's 16th-best scoring team last season (97.5 ppg) to one of the best in the NBA (107.3 ppg).

"We don't care about who scores," Crawford said. "We just want to make it a team effort and it is hard for teams to defend us that way."

New York won two of three meetings with Orlando last season, but the Magic have won seven of their last 11 visits to Madison Square Garden.

Orlando Notes

All five of Orlando's starters recorded double figures in scoring. ... After missing Tuesday's game vs. Minnesota with a slight concussion, G Jameer Nelson was given clearance to play by team doctors just before game time. ... Orlando recorded a season-high 38 goals. ... F Hedo Turkoglu played a season-high 44 minutes and recorded his first double-double of the season and just the sixth of his career. ... G Keith Bogans had season highs of 17 points and 11 rebounds to record his first double-double since the 2003-04 season

New York Notes
During the morning shootaround, F Carmelo Anthony said that he spoke with Isiah Thomas and did not disclose the contents of their conversation. Thomas was also quiet about the chat when asked about it during his pregame media briefing. ... F Zach Randolph is the first Knick to record three doubles-doubles to start a season since Patrick Ewing in 1992-93. ... F Quentin Richardson played just 22 seconds in the fourth quarter while second-year F Renaldo Balkman played 11:56, most of it shadowing Anthony. "I thought Renaldo came in and changed the game for us," Thomas said after the game. "He's a special athlete and he played with intelligence and poise." ... G Nate Robinson played despite being questionable with a mild right hamstring sprain and was scoreless in 15 minutes. ... The Knicks can move two games over .500 for the first time since January 1, 2005 with a win over Orlando on Friday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2007110918

capt.c2cb8515c1fe46edb2b80d47adb0e044.nuggets_knicks_basketball_nyjj111.jpg

This should be a winnable game. Orlando's bench is garbage except for Arroyo who's inconsistent.

We need to defend the perimeter!

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Thats gonna be a battle tomorrow night between cotto and mosley.....Its got fight of the year potential written all over it. Damn you got a whole pregame show. The Knicks can and should win this game. I believe Orlando is a good team but I think the Knicks are better....or at least they should be better. Not every team plays up to there full potential, as a matter of fact most teams dont. Anyways, I think it will be a close game but the Knicks will win. I agree that defending the perimeter is the key to victory. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are both capable of puttin up big numbers.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
This should be a good matchup. Howard is probably a bit better than than Curry "all around". Lewis is also very good, but after that I think the Knicks are deeper. Plus they will be home. If Curry can more or less hold his own with Howard and they can keep Lewis and Turkoglu from going too wild outside, this game is supposed to be a W for the Knicks.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
Thats gonna be a battle tomorrow night between cotto and mosley.....Its got fight of the year potential written all over it.

I like Mosley. If he's got enough left, he should be able to outpoint him.
Mosley has a tough time with guys that have a longer reach and some power. Then he can't use his boxing skills as well because they keep him outside. He can outbox just about anyone (other than maybe Floyd these days) when the reach is similar.

metrocard

Legend
Thats gonna be a battle tomorrow night between cotto and mosley.....Its got fight of the year potential written all over it. Damn you got a whole pregame show. The Knicks can and should win this game. I believe Orlando is a good team but I think the Knicks are better....or at least they should be better. Not every team plays up to there full potential, as a matter of fact most teams dont. Anyways, I think it will be a close game but the Knicks will win. I agree that defending the perimeter is the key to victory. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are both capable of puttin up big numbers.

Even though I'm a blind Cotto fan, Mosley is by far the biggest challenge Cotto has faced, it definitely will be interesting to watch.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Too much TOs the Knicks can play better, they should have a larger lead then what they have now 1 pt at the half. All around good game.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Even though I'm a blind Cotto fan, Mosley is by far the biggest challenge Cotto has faced, it definitely will be interesting to watch.

Im embarrassed to admit Im a Zab Judah fan, he reminds me of Pernell Whitaker whos my favorite of all time. Zab dont have the chin and trainer to ever again be considered a top welterweight but I think Mosley is a step or 2 up from Judah. Cottos gonna get tested but I wouldnt bet on this match, the outcome is too hard to predict. I like Cotto, hes a very tough fighter who can take a punch. Hes one of the toughest welterweights and theres no way mosley or anyone will knock him out while hes in his prime. The winner should get to fight the winner of Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather, which will be mayweather. I dont know if anyone can beat him.

As for the KNicks, good first half. Zachs leading the way with 14 points and 5 rebounds, Richardson is also doin a good job on the boards, on Rashard Lewis, and on offense. They need to give Curry more touches in the 2nd half, hes only taken 3 shots. They also need to keep the ball out of Crawford hands. He's 2 for 7 with 3 turnovers. 1 and only, I agree with you. They are doin a nice job of moving the ball around. They gotta come out in the 3rd and look to jump on the Magic. Shit, it probably started back up. I gotta get off here.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
Too many stupid mistakes tonight. It doesn't look good.

I'll tell you one thing, without Randolph this team would be in big trouble. That may have been one of the greatest trades of all time.

Well bad loss tonight. We really took ourselves out of the game rather than Orlando. Too many dumb turnovers and stupid mistakes in general. I hope not to see too many more of these.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
The Magics are a good team so not a bad loss but a lazy one. Z Bo is the most consistant player on the team. and the knicks should learn from this game and come out hard against the Heat.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
guard play was pathetic, stephon played like a little girl until the last minute of the game, should do dat the whole game, jameer too small to guard em, jamal was had a nightmare game, he has to adjust to the carrying call, damn it seemed as if goaltending didnt exist today

Well, that was fun :|

It seems like everyone else on the team, needs to take a page out of the Zach Randolph book of consistency. I'm confident we can beat Orlando any other day, but damn on 2 days rest this one should've been money in the bank. Im gonna hold off on any pessimism until we are at least 25-30 games into the season. And as much as I loathe Boston, them boys are doing it.

If things do remain this way though, I do have a "Kobe trade proposition" :

Curry
Balkman
Crawford
Robinson

for

Kobe

That works for me.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Well, that was fun :|

It seems like everyone else on the team, needs to take a page out of the Zach Randolph book of consistency. I'm confident we can beat Orlando any other day, but damn on 2 days rest this one should've been money in the bank. Im gonna hold off on any pessimism until we are at least 25-30 games into the season. And as much as I loathe Boston, them boys are doing it.

If things do remain this way though, I do have a "Kobe trade proposition" :

Curry
Balkman
Crawford
Robinson

for

Kobe

That works for me.

that trade works for me as well

marbury
bryant (isnt just offence)
qrich