Answer to our prayers

Toons

is the Bo$$
Nov 13, 2007 6:46am ET
Knicks May Reduce Marbury?s Role
In the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, Frank Isola writes ?a high-ranking team official told the Daily News that Isiah Thomas and James Dolan have been in talks in recent days concerning Stephon Marbury's future. Knicks brass is considering what options it has to reduce Marbury's role or get rid of him entirely. A trade is unlikely. Dolan's and Thomas' history suggests that they would not rule out negotiating a buyout for Marbury, who then would become a free agent. At the very least, Marbury's minutes could be reduced substantially for as long as he remains on the team.

now we will see what the knicks can do

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
i was just going to post it

send him to Miami for Jason Williams,

The trade would work considering Smush & Davis were just obtained

Real GM Trade ID: #4284589

[link=http://realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4284589]Link [/link]

As a Mabury fan I must say it will suck to see him go. But it probably is best for the team to move on without him. We need a floor general out there and Marbury just doesn't fit the bill.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i like steph too, but its like teams succeed when he leaves...ill take brevin knight over steph on this knicks roster. with our talent, even steph should average 10 dimes per game

paris401

Starter
i was just going to post it

send him to Miami for Jason Williams,

The trade would work considering Smush & Davis were just obtained

Real GM Trade ID: #4284589

[link=http://realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4284589]Link [/link]

why not send him to la for kobe, or boston for kg... those trades will work tooo

paris401

Starter
he ain't going no-where... unless dolan wants to buy him out for 42m...

he is untradeable this year... maybe in feb 09 at the deadline something can be done but at this point he is

" S T A R B U R Y "

metrocard

Legend
Why the hell would anyone replace Marbury for Williams? Williams sucks and is turnover prone and can't shoot...and is a terrible defender.

Marbury isn't the problem; stop using his as a scapegoat, its really played out.

He is tradeable, but for Brevin Knight and Jason Williams? Damn, you guys disappoint.

i like steph too, but its like teams succeed when he leaves...ill take brevin knight over steph on this knicks roster. with our talent, even steph should average 10 dimes per game

Marbury is one of the best assist men in the NBA, and has been that in the last decade. Not many guys are going to average 10 assist in the offense like the Knicks. You don't get many assist with Curry unless you got an open alley-oop. Curry is a black hole, once he gets the ball; you'll never see it again. If you're saying Marbury is selfish, then you need to watch more Knicks games.

Last edited:

pat

Starter
he ain't going no-where... unless dolan wants to buy him out for 42m...

he is untradeable this year... maybe in feb 09 at the deadline something can be done but at this point he is

" S T A R B U R Y "

Maybe we can trade him for one of the laker-girls! *rofl*

Trading him now would be just a typically erratic Isiah move. As much as I would like to see Marbury go, why didn't they sort something out during the summer. We could have kept Dickau or Nichols. Is it just me, or does the Knicks management only start to think about stuff once there is an immediate crisis? I really can't see in which direction the Knicks are supposed to develop.

But apart from the larger strategic goals:
What do you guys reckon, would Mardy and N8 be up to the challenge of taking over the 1-spot?

I have my doubts but then again people grow with the task ahead of them...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Why the hell would anyone replace Marbury for Williams? Williams sucks and is turnover prone and can't shoot...and is a terrible defender.

Marbury isn't the problem; stop using his as a scapegoat, its really played out.

He is tradeable, but for Brevin Knight and Jason Williams? Damn, you guys disappoint.

Marbury is one of the best assist men in the NBA, and has been that in the last decade. Not many guys are going to average 10 assist in the offense like the Knicks. You don't get many assist with Curry unless you got an open alley-oop. Curry is a black hole, once he gets the ball; you'll never see it again. If you're saying Marbury is selfish, then you need to watch more Knicks games.

Actually Marburysexual he is the problem. He cant keep anyone out of the paint, letting teams breakdown our D. He doesn't have a great TO/Assist ratio and he isn't scoring like he used to. He is mediocre at best. We need a floor general who can get Curry and Randolph the ball while being able to keep opposing guards in front of him. I am tired of seeing him burned on one end of the court then brick a three pointer or turn the ball over in response. Lets face facts, Marbury HAD tremendous talent and athleticism but never had the the right head. Now his athleticism is is going and his head is still as bad as ever. If he could play smart he could be effective like Billups but he doesn't and needs to go. At this point I'd rather develop Nate and Collins then waste anymore time with this underachieving chump. I personally would package him with a good player of ours (bench) for a true point guard and be done with him. Let Italy have him.

GetRealistic

Starter
Wow this is the greatest thing i've read in weeks. Marbury leaving the Knicks would be the biggest step in the right direction this team has made in years. I could really care less who we get in return. If the Knicks could somehow get somebody to take Marbury it would be a steal. Buyout Marbury or do whatever you have to do, let Mardy start and become the player he has to be and then go find Jared Jordan and bring him back.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Well, Steph is a scorer.

The Knicks have enough scorers.

They need someone who can defend and distribute.

agreed...we need to know what are strengths and weaknesses are and fix the areas we lack. I would keep Marbury if he would at least drive to the bucket and pick up more fouls but he doesnt do that effective anymore. Not to mention that he bricks freethows consistently now on top of everything else.

Seems more like a warning to Isiah than anything

Remember when the Knicks fired Lenny's top assistant at the begining of the same season they fired him?You can say that is what Dolan is pulling here with talks of letting Steph go. Steph's acqusition is the reason many Knick fans embraced Isiah his first season, and the two have been linked together ever since. So wheather we buy him out or not ( a trade is not happening), this is certainley a warning to Isiah that if he doesn't win he's next.

Now do I think the Knicks would be better without him? Well I'd like to see, but a lot of Knick fans were sold on the notion that we would be a much more uptempo team with out Pat....yes I know Steph is no Patrick Ewing , the point I'm trying to make is you don't realize what you got until it's gone. But Minn,NJ,and Pheonix all manged to do well without him, and that was him playing at a much higher level than he is playing now.

Steph's Pro's and Con's

Pro's- can get to the basket about as good as any point in the league which draws fouls and he is a decent free throw shooter. Has worked on his D. Decent jump shot. Very rare combination of strength and speed. One of the games best ball handlers. assist to TO can be pretty good for stretches. Loves NY. Starbury movement.

Con's- not as good a finisher as he once was. Not nearly as explosive as he was when he arrived. Double Digit assist games are too infrequent. Improved D still only makes him an avereage defender, too often he's isolated on D. Hasn't played well in the clutch since his early days with the Knicks. Never developed into a true point. Has clashed with teamates and/or coach on every team he's been on. Shot selection is always a concern. Likes to score more than pass.

I don't want to see Steph gone off the team completely, but Mardy has potential, and is a better fit to this lineup than Steph. I'm not even saying that Steph has to come off the bench right away, but I think the days of 30 plus minutes are gone.

But besides Mardy who else fills his shoes at the PG? and Mardy didn't look all that great the other night, now granted it was his first game of the season, and he's coming off an injury (a concern in itself).

Nate- game almost identical to Steph's so that's not an upgrade

Jamal- same can be said for him too

Dan Dikau- a Clipper! could've been a good PG

Jared Jordan- cut by the team. pass first PG, but could he D at this level

Trin_Starr

Starter
Look Isiah is the biggest hypocrite here. He brought Marbury here to run an uptempo offense - we were supposed to be the Suns of the East - remember all that bullshit talk?
Lenny took the team to the playoffs and then the season after - when H20, JC and TT went down - he was fired because Isiah said, "The knicks are a 500 team and you aren't coaching right"

So as far as our prayers being answered - am no...he's just the scapegoat.
Isiah put together a poorly constructed team. First he wanted uptempo and went out and got Steph, JC, nate and Q - then he wanted to go half court, bigman plodding offense - so he got curry and now zach...
so what kind of team are we?
Only Isiah knows that and if anyone is to blame - it is him.

Personally, I think we should trade Marbury to Boston.
That way he can win a championship with KG, Pierce and Allen.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I wonder if there could be any way the Knicks could package Marbury, other players, draft picks and expiring contacts to Sacramento for Bibby, Artest and somenone else they would like to get rid of ? It seems like both teams have players that they don't want.

GetRealistic

Starter
Interesting all those comments come from somebody who has Marbury's jersey as there icon. All that said the suns weren't an up tempo team until they got Nash, and they didn't get Nash until they found some fool (Isiah and the Knicks) to take Marbury and his awful contract.

Isiah is to blame, Dolan is to blame, and MARBURY is to blame. The face of the franchise doesn't play hard, doesn't fit into the team concept, and just overally isn't the player he once was. Everybody argued that Marbury finally saw the light and changed last year. Well i guess over the summer he forgot everything he changed into.

Trade him to Boston. Who cares just get him off the team. Or even better let him sit on the end of the bench with his trademark towel over his head.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Interesting all those comments come from somebody who has Marbury's jersey as there icon. All that said the suns weren't an up tempo team until they got Nash, and they didn't get Nash until they found some fool (Isiah and the Knicks) to take Marbury and his awful contract.

Isiah is to blame, Dolan is to blame, and MARBURY is to blame. The face of the franchise doesn't play hard, doesn't fit into the team concept, and just overally isn't the player he once was. Everybody argued that Marbury finally saw the light and changed last year. Well i guess over the summer he forgot everything he changed into.

Trade him to Boston. Who cares just get him off the team. Or even better let him sit on the end of the bench with his trademark towel over his head.

I am not saying he should be absolved from blame - but as with any corporation - the man who is in charge is ultimately to blame for putting together his mess.

And you think by getting rid of just Marbury - we will be a better team?
Then unfortunately you are truly delusional. It is a bigger problem than that, and that is what my previous post explains.
You CANNOT take a square peg and try to fit it into a round hole.

Starks

Starter
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...stephon_marburys_days_with_knicks_might_.html

Hey guys Theres the link above.

Here are a few quotes that show how serious this is:

"Marbury, 30, made the trip west but there is some uncertainty whether he will even play. The Knicks traveled to Phoenix yesterday afternoon and were not available for comment."

"Also, Marbury made several infamous and bizarre television appearances over the summer that embarrassed the organization."

"A person close to Marbury says he is beaten down emotionally from everything that transpired over the summer and through the Sanders trial and that deep down he would welcome a change of scenery."

"But Marbury quickly alienated teammates, coaches and the media with his moody behavior. He was involved in a memorable altercation with former teammate Kurt Thomas and later with current teammate Quentin Richardson. Both players wanted to fight Marbury.Through it all, including the losing seasons and zero playoffs wins, Isiah Thomas stood firmly behind Marbury and exiled anyone that had a problem with his guard - including Kurt Thomas, Shandon Anderson, Tim Thomas, Keith Van Horn and Dikembe Mutombo."

Not sure if Steph has much value, at least to other GMS, left in him. Especially at his age and 42 mil contract. His best bet is to go to Philly or ATL and try to save his career. He'll find work when he is a free agent if he can go the rest of the year w/o talking to media and just doing his job. He's like the NBA's Manny Ramirez in that sense.

I'd trade him for Andre Miller if possible.

paris401

Starter
I wonder if there could be any way the Knicks could package Marbury, other players, draft picks and expiring contacts to Sacramento for Bibby, Artest and somenone else they would like to get rid of ? It seems like both teams have players that they don't want.

what expiring contracts do we have????