Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: It's not Thomas or Marbury - Eddy Curry is the Problem

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    9

    Default It's not Thomas or Marbury - Eddy Curry is the Problem

    > "It's going to take some patience to work, some hard work," Curry said. "We're two players who need the ball to make our
    > presence out there. It's going to take some work. I think they're trying to look for me."

    Do not get me wrong. Both Thomas and Marbury have done some bone headed things. The Knicks doubtless would be better off with Jerry West as GM, Rick Carlyle as coach, and a true point guard with less "talent" than Marbury.

    However, the quote above shows that Eddy Curry has learned exactly ZERO in his previous six years as a "professional". The Knicks would have a chance at becoming winners precisely when Eddy Curry learns how to and desires to be effective and contribute without the ball.

    Just imagine the Knicks, if Eddy Curry consistently put in the defensive effort that Andrew Bogut gave in the fourth quarter of Friday's game.

    Combine this with the fact that, despite the offseason hype and the encouraging weight-loss, Curry is still not in NBA shape (according to Greg Anthony on the Knicks-Celtics gamecast - and a guy has to be pretty badly out of shape for a national broadcaster to admit it). Put simply, if he had the upper-body development of the average NBA player, Eddy Curry would not be getting stripped of the ball and having his layups rejected by 6-1 point guards. Just look at Curry's arms and shoulders, and then look at any NBA player whom you admire. The difference is obvious; the conclusion is shameful.

  2. #2
    Cutest Guy Here Kennedy Curse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Queens New York Ozone park
    Posts
    913
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    u know that weight gives him that POWER! but ok umm who can replace curry than?

  3. #3
    Veteran Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    1,472
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    It's all of them.

    Years later, this team will go down in the history books as one the most obtuse rosters ever assembled in NBA, maybe even sports, history! Thomas and the Knicks are an icon of undisputed failure from top to bottom.

    This is the worst possible team for every person on our roster to be on based on their overall game, defense, and leadership abilities. It's quite remarkable actually, when you think about how one GM can be so horrific about his job, and still be employed and get paid millions.

    Only in America

  4. #4
    Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    He is 7 years in the league, you would think he could at least improve more. He wont. Turnovers turnovers and turnovers are Eddy Currys bad habits. I disagree with the title its not Thomas or Marbury 100%. The Problem is Isiah Thomas and Marbury. Curry can be the problem too. BUT again who was the one to bring him in? ISIAH THOMAS....



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    403
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Curry doesn't really need to lose weight. He needs to change his diet and start lifting weights. That will turn all that flab and fat into well defined muscle. If he would do that, he would increase his quickness on defense and offense, be even stronger, and maybe even jump a little better.

    I do want to add one small thing in Curry's defense.

    He's obviously not a "good" rebounder, but one of the reasons his rebounds are down is that Zach is such a good rebounder. There are only so many rebound attempts per game. So if you add one player that is especially good at it, he will take rebounds away from the other players. I think even Lee's rebounds per 48 minutes are down a bit- most likely for the same reason. When he's in with Randolph, Zach gets a few rebounds that Lee would have otherwise gotten and did get last year.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    9

    Default I don't hate Curry's talent - I hate his work ethic

    Point taken that if he gained the muscle I want, his weight would not drop (might even increase). But we meant the same thing: lose the fat, increase the stamina and muscle. I don't want to trade Curry, I just want to have hime play off the bench until they can get him into a serious weights and aerobics training program, as well as serious coaching of defensive footwork.

    In the interim, I would like to see Morris and Chandler getting serious minutes, as well as an increase in minutes for Lee and Balkman. I like that Jones is getting more court time, and hope that Collins, and even James, gets used when healthy.

    I do not like the way Thomas juggles minutes, such as Nate's recent DNPs. Many similar teams (deep but not great starting five) have been successful with a scheme where 10-12 players gets 16-20 minutes a night, unless a particular player gets red-hot on a particular night. This allows players to stay healthy and all be in game shape. It also allows for more consistent defensive pressure because players have no excuse to "save" themselves for the fourth quarter.

    I agree that Marbury and Thomas have the wrong approach. However, in terms of what the biggest problem on the court is right now, it is the lack of a shot-blocking interior help-defense and stopping the pick and roll. I believe that Morris and Chandler would be more effective defensively than Curry right now, and that Curry would be more effective getting spot offensive runs off the bench. When Curry is on the court, I would NOT feed him in the half-court post. I would force him to play run and gun for 15 minutes a game until he gets in real shape.

  7. #7
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by knicklover
    Curry doesn't really need to lose weight. He needs to change his diet and start lifting weights. That will turn all that flab and fat into well defined muscle. If he would do that, he would increase his quickness on defense and offense, be even stronger, and maybe even jump a little better.

    I do want to add one small thing in Curry's defense.

    He's obviously not a "good" rebounder, but one of the reasons his rebounds are down is that Zach is such a good rebounder. There are only so many rebound attempts per game. So if you add one player that is especially good at it, he will take rebounds away from the other players. I think even Lee's rebounds per 48 minutes are down a bit- most likely for the same reason. When he's in with Randolph, Zach gets a few rebounds that Lee would have otherwise gotten and did get last year.
    If that were entirely true Q would not be rebounding like a beast. Fact of the matter is rebounding has more to do with effort and timing then jumping ability.

  8. #8
    The Gold Mac MSGKnickz33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,474
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Curry is built to dominate, more so then anyone else on the team but yet hes soft like a teddy bear. He is the biggest dissapointment in the entire league and hes the #1 problem with this team, with Crawford closely behind him.

  9. #9
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Starks
    It's all of them.

    Years later, this team will go down in the history books as one the most obtuse rosters ever assembled in NBA, maybe even sports, history! Thomas and the Knicks are an icon of undisputed failure from top to bottom.

    This is the worst possible team for every person on our roster to be on based on their overall game, defense, and leadership abilities. It's quite remarkable actually, when you think about how one GM can be so horrific about his job, and still be employed and get paid millions.

    Only in America

    Agreed 100%

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Curry is the main issue.

    The defense gets broken down more so than not because of his lack of awareness and hustle. That is all defense is, awareness and hustle. Two things Im not sure Curry would ever be associated with on the defensive end. It's so bad, when he makes 1 decent defensive play in a game, they fine two columns in the paper to speak on it. Ewing did 7 times that a night on defense his whole career here, and we speak of him as an albatross because he did not have the personel to help bring a title here. If Ewing had these same players in his prime that Curry has, we'd be one of th ebest teams in basketball right now.

    That is why I say it's mainly Curry's fault than anyone's.

    And Isaiah is getting fired.

  11. #11
    Member lanceroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Two main problems of Curry are his work ethic and lack of good coaching to develop his defensive skills. Patrick Ewing could have guided this guy. Now he's with Orlando turning Dwight Howard into a future MVP. Of course Curry's no MVP, but he seriously lacks right coaching, and I'm surprised Knicks management hasn't considered this a high priority for the past couple of years. We know he could score, as evidence last season when he would score 20+ points consecutively. This guy just doesn't exert as much effort playing defense and rebounding. After all these years, it's incredible actually. Anyway after all I've said I still think that major changes should start with the head coach. The players need a change of coaching atmosphere.

  12. #12
    Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by MSGKnickz33
    Curry is built to dominate, more so then anyone else on the team but yet hes soft like a teddy bear. He is the biggest dissapointment in the entire league and hes the #1 problem with this team, with Crawford closely behind him.
    No you just dont see it. Crawford is a good player without your Marbury.... JC could shake and bake those old legs anytime... Eddy is a problem. JC is just a player that needs to be more consistent and not turn the ball over. Crawford barely takes open shots... Most are contested...

  13. #13
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    First of all Isiah traded for Curry, gave up 2 lottery picks to get him, so Isiah is accountable for Curry's contribution (both negative and positive). How can you excuse Marbury when he didn't do a damn thing for the Knicks before Curry was here. Isiah has to shoulder the blame for the teams struggles and lack of success. I actually blame Isiah more than I blame the players!!! He keeps adding on to the roster more players whose games conflict with the existing players on the team. The GM is supposed to gauge the needs of the team. He is supposed to be able to evaluate the current talent and see where the wholes are and try to patch them. Isiah just makes moves to just make a move. There doesn't seem to be any type of science or intelligent thought process behind it.

  14. #14
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by MSGKnickz33
    Curry is built to dominate, more so then anyone else on the team but yet hes soft like a teddy bear. He is the biggest dissapointment in the entire league and hes the #1 problem with this team, with Crawford closely behind him.
    I think Curry is probably more suited for a fast paced run and gun team where he can dominate offensively and not worry about the defensive end. Also, I think Brown, if he was given the chance, could have gotten Curry more focused and helped his game. Curry has had like 5 different coaches since entering the NBA right out of HS, that's allot of different philosophies and systems to try to take on and learn. Still, I think Defense is a fundamental attribute and you can't teach some one to have good instincts on either side of the ball. Curry just doesn't have a great basket ball IQ.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    403
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    If that were entirely true Q would not be rebounding like a beast. Fact of the matter is rebounding has more to do with effort and timing then jumping ability.
    I agree with you, but the makeup of the team does contribute to how many rebounds each player gets. QRich is rebounding well, but he's actually down a tad from last year also - 6.9 vs. 7.2

Similar Threads

  1. Hit the Panic Button
    By Starks in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: Dec 10, 2007, 07:13
  2. trade curry yes/no
    By theknicks3 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: Apr 01, 2007, 01:51
  3. My beef with Isiah
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: Jan 17, 2007, 03:21
  4. Starbury...what a joke!
    By JerseyCityNETSfan15 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Mar 20, 2006, 08:41
  5. Knick Concerns
    By mrj18 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan 04, 2005, 14:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •