Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Official NBA Draft 2008 Thread

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Hibbert is too slow to play in today's NBA as a full time, especially with big men like Horford, KG, Dwight, Amare. He will be a serviceable back up at best.

A sleeper pick is Brook Lopez, 7 foot athletic big man who can defend, rebound and shoot, very well rounded big man and very strong at 260 lbs, he's still growing into his game; has a lot of room for improvement and excellent work ethic to get him to his full potential. He worked really hard to recover from his back surgery and is looking to lead Stanford through the Pac-10.

The best draft site is draftexpress. NBADraft.net seem to have Isiahsexual like prediction ability, so never trust those guys with player projections.

Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar

I got some new player updates from draftexpress. This part of the thread this should show you a player these young draft picks are simular too, and potential wise were they get in their career, best case, and worst case.
    Micheal Beasley
    Best Case: More Athletic Zach Randolph
    Worst Case: Al Harrington
    I gotta say a athletic Z Bo is just what this league needs. Micheal will be a All Star one day for sure.

Derrick Rose
    Best Case: Baron Davis
    Worst Case: Antonio Daniels
    Thats scary.. Antonio Daniels thats what Derrick Rose may become.. So far as a freshmen in Memphis, I am not to happy with his stats so far.. I hope he will prove people wrong so he will be as good or even better then Baron Davis.

Eric Gordon
    Best Case: Rich Man's Ben Gordon
    Worst Case: Flip Murray
    wow what a comparison.. I believe E. Gordon, would become a better defender then Ben Gordon. Flip Murray thats won't happen unless injuries come to play for this player.

OJ Mayo (Knicks projected 4th pick)
    Best Case: Dwyane Wade
    Worst Case: Willie Green
    That would be crazy if OJ Mayo gets more work ethic and becomes the next D Wade. Quick, and just to good (no homo) against other point guards. OJ primary position is PG, but does play SG on occasion.

What bothers me is the DeAndre Jordon is not on Draftexpress 2008 NBA Draft board. Thats messed up.

12th man

Beasley is a new breed of big man, he has no accurate comparison.

Derrick Rose isn't a chucker like Davis, Rose still has a lot of work to do, if he doesn't improved on the rest of the season, he should stay another year for his own benefit. His jumpshot isn't really much of a threat, he hasn't look like a "pure" PG everyone was raving over him to be, he has the defensive tools; but needs more experience to make those tools effective. I'm still high on him.

Eric Gordon is IGHT, I wouldn't ride out with him as a "franchise" player like I would with Beasley.

yo knicks126, OJ Mayo plays SG @ USC, Kruger plays PG for USC, OJ Mayo is purely a SG.

He reminds me of Larry Hughes(Washington Wizards version) with 3pt range.

See I dont watch much USC. And you said Draftexpress is the best site.. They give out inaccurate information then.

I watch Georgetown, Indiana, Georgia Tech.

Knicks update. The Knicks the the 5th worst team in the NBA. and Because of the recent trade Memphis and LA. The Memphis Grizzlies wont be doing much better at all. So the 5th spot is probably were the Knicks will be, unless they somehow win the lottery, which would be awesome. ANYONE? HERE going to the 2008 NBA Draft @ the theather?
    Last edited by nyKnicks126; Feb 02, 2008 at 09:57.

12th man

I'm a insane draft junkie, but DraftExpress is the best site by far, they cover EVERY league and have scouts all over the world. No other site can compare. Plus all their scouts are cool as hell to talk, you can PM or send them an email and they'll answer any question you have

I use to work @ another draft site that couldn't stay on the internet but had a huge internet fanbase called NBAdraft.tk I use to write a lot of profiles since I scouted a lot of NCAA players and players in the Latin American leagues. Since the Knicks been losing so much, it has allowed me to look into the draft deeper and deeper.

The main qualities I look for are

1. Work ethic
    2. Adequate at different dimensions
    3. Awareness on both ends.

I feel like "talent" and "potential" are two overrated terms that usually results in a bust; everyone has talent and potential but you can't go no where with it if you don't have good work ethic.

I look for gym rats in the draft, guys who are really determine to play basketball for a living instead of worry about how many cars they want to buy.

I'm probably going to write some scouting reports later this month when I got time, especially since March Madness is a weak away.

Keep an eye out for Jonathan Rodriguez, 6"5 SF/PF averaging 22 pg over 10 rebounds, shooting 50% in the Atlantic Sun division.

Hey Maj, I owe you a meet up; we should go to the draft together; when I find out how much are the tickets or w/e, we'll meet up and make noise @ the draft. It'll be my first ever draft I will attend.

Originally Posted by metrocard

Hey Maj, I owe you a meet up; we should go to the draft together; when I find out how much are the tickets or w/e, we'll meet up and make noise @ the draft. It'll be my first ever draft I will attend.
    yo Jose, We should go to the draft. I know they sell tickets in the morning of the draft. is it expensive?but I heard people are mad LOUD @ the theather. I just gotta know the prices, I think LadyNYK knows the prices, and I will ask her now. That too, will be the first draft I will attend. Hopefully the Knicks get somewhere in the top 3 in picks. Mad knick fans are going to be there. I want to meet almost all of you guys from the forum.

Anyone else thats interested, and wants to come to the draft wit us it would be cool.

12th man

Cool

Next Kevin Durant?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

AJ Majok

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Veteran

We have to take this draft as if no trades are made before deadline. or in the offseason for that matter which i dont see happening BUT that means we have a core of young guys that we should build off of Robinson, Balkman, Chandler, Lee, Morris, Collins and to an extent Curry/Randolph ugh.

As much as i like Derrick rose if we are committed to nate robinson we dont draft him. and seeing i dont think well be worse than Memphis or Twolves we really dont have a chance at him anyway. but who knows with predraft stuff going on and teams drafting for need first.

our key weakness is small forward and shot blocking. i think if we just let Balkman and Chandler play with Randolph Morris wed cover them situations a little BUT dont see that happening.

say what you will about isiah thomas he is an incredible drafter. so he might go for something that surprises us.. granted hes still with us.

the logical pick is DeAndre Jordan. This kid can move his feet on D, block very nicely and play team ball NOT needing it down low 24-7. depending on our roster at that point in time he seems like the best pick to make. somehow make a deal for randolph to leave and then you have a Curry/Lee/Jordan rotation up front.

now i dont need to say that beasley should be our main priority IF available. but at this point unless kwame brown elevates the play of memphis or the twolves go on a streak its not possible.

Im a syracuse fan all the way, so the pick of Donte Green entices me. and at 6'10 being a small forward who can score AND play D (love you Boeheim! haha) he is what we could use.

SO depending on our roster at the time of the draft
    1. Beasley. 2. Jordan. 3.Green should be our order of importance.

i hate to think about rebuildin, but the time haz come to rebuild and let some1 with a real vision start. there are a bunch of solid players in the draft and hopefully we can find the one right 4 us. i love oj mayo' and derrick rose's game but obviously the last thing we need is more guards. while i dont want to get a high draft pics cuz id rather us make the playoffs, it is the inevitable that we will keep on losin

12th man

Originally Posted by allanhoustonfan220
    i hate to think about rebuildin, but the time haz come to rebuild and let some1 with a real vision start. there are a bunch of solid players in the draft and hopefully we can find the one right 4 us. i love oj mayo' and derrick rose's game but obviously the last thing we need is more guards. while i dont want to get a high draft pics cuz id rather us make the playoffs, it is the inevitable that we will keep on losin
    Dude, we should of rebuild 3-4 years ago. You're pretty late.

DeAndre Jordan is mad RAW...he doesn't have Bynum's talent level or work ethic, I wouldn't gamble on him.

We need a PG...I wouldn't mind grabbing DJ Augustine.
    Strengths:

Strong build
    Basketball instincts
    Mix between scoring/passing
    Outstanding ball-handling skills w/either hand
    Change of gears/Hesitation moves
    Ability to get to free throw line
    Pick and roll play
    Perimeter shooting
    Off the dribble shooting
    Quick release
    Mid-range game
    Transition play
    Court vision
    Unselfishness
    Under control play
    Assist to turnover ratio
    Commitment to playing defense
    Fundamentals
    Intangibles

Augustin's sophomore year so far:

34.9 mpg
    19.1 ppg
    7.0 assists
    2.4 rebounds
    57% FG
    86% FT
    47% 3 pts
    4.1 TO

TJ Ford's sophomore year (won national player of the year at Texas)

33.6 mpg
    15.0 ppg
    7.7 assists
    3.9 rebounds
    40% FG
    82% FT
    27% 3 pts
    3.2 TO

Chris Paul's sophomore year

33.4 mpg
    15.2 ppg
    6.6 assists
    ?? rebounds (can't find)
    45% FG
    83% FT
    47% 3 pt
    2.8 TO

Deron Williams junior year

33.7 mpg
    12.5 ppg
    6.8 assists
    ?? rebounds (can't find)
    43% FG
    68% FT
    36% 3 pt
    2.8 TO

Jameer Nelson senior year

33.9 mpg
    20.6 ppg
    5.3 assists
    ?? rebounds
    48% FG
    79% FT
    39% 3 pt
    2.8 TO

This a potential Steve Nash clone; passing on him would be ignorant. We need a matured complete PG, with a lot of dimensions. DJ is that guy.

The best big man in the draft is Brook Lopez, believe or not. He can shoot, scorer in the paint, and play incredible defense and is very athletic for his size. He's a hard working kid and is an angel(quiet kid that doesn't cause trouble).

If we can somehow get DJ Augustin and Brook Lopez in this draft(trade for a pick, anything), and draft a SG in the 2nd round like Courtney Lee, Richard Roby, Shan Foster, Brandon Rush(if he falls).

If this is accomplished, our future can look like

Augustin/Robinson
    Roby/Collins
    Balkman/Chandler
    Lee/Your mom
    Lopez/Morris

Pretty legit.
    Last edited by metrocard; Feb 05, 2008 at 21:37.

I'm telling you people. Second Rd pick is a guy from my school. Jason Thompson out of Rider. (Yes the Rider who stomped Manattan twice this year metro, ha)

6'10 250. He's one of only 3 players to average 20ppg and 10 rebounds last season, and hes doing it again this season and he blocks around 3 a game. The guy has a super high motor and good basketball IQ.

And NYKnicks126 Mayo is a combo guard. He's probably more suited to play the two spot but with his vision i'm sure he could play the point.
    Last edited by GetRealistic; Feb 05, 2008 at 22:06.

12th man

Jason Thompson is average.

I'm taking two courses with two basketball players from Manhattan College, they're chill dudes, but Manhattan fell off ever since Bobby Gonzalez left. Luis Flores >>> Jason Thompson.

Plus, you guys barely beat us with superior talent.

Well your wrong of course but what else is new

Ricky Rubio is supposedly the best player in the world. Lets draft Deandre this year and Rubio next year. Most importantly we need to move Randolph, Crawford, Jefferies. They all have another 3 years on their contracts after this one and we need to clear space for when king James is free agent

Jason Thompson looks like he is getting better and better each season. A senior is always good to have out of college because of there experience. Kinda like Josh Howard a few years back, expect Thompson is much taller, haven't heard much about him. Thompson according to draft express will be a early 2nd round pick.

I am seeing and hearing rumors about DeAndre Jordon heading to the 2009 draft, and not declaring for the 2008 draft, anyone hear something about that?