The Official NBA Draft 2008 Thread

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
With the 2 game winning streak the Knicks are currently the 5th worse team in the NBA. Which if the lottery would go as planned and the Knicks would get the 5th pick small forward Donte Greene would be a player the Knicks would shoot for.

Donte Greene is a player with loads of potential, and he is a shooter. People relate his game to Rashard Lewis. Donte is a 6'11 SMALL FORWARD, with his height he can be a weapon the Knicks would pick up if drafted.

PPG 18.9 | APG 1.9 | RPG 8.2 | 1.2 STL | 2.0 BLK

These numbers are great for a freshmen in Syracuse or any other school.

The Knicks with there 2 game winning streak. They are 2 1/2 games in front of Miami. 1 1/2 game in front of Memphis. 3 games in front of Seattle. and 6 1/2 games in front of Minnesota.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Nathan Jawai is an amazing player. He has only recently been discovered by the scouts. But I have been watching him early on this NBL season when he started his rook campaign.

He is amazing, and the word is that if he went to college he would be a lottery pick. Alot better than bogut in my opinion.

He is projected to go at 30, which would be the steal of the draft.

But any team who gets him after ten would be very happen once they see him.

I would love for the knicks to trade Crawford/Randolph/Curry to the warriors for the 20th pick and draft this guy.

The knicks team would look like

Marbury
Derrick Rose
Balkman
Lee
Jawai

that would be the best young team in the nba

metrocard

Legend
I love scouting guys people never talk about, so I'm going to introduce you guys to a lottery pick prospect from Congo.

Serge Ibaka
sergeibaka.jpg

H: 6' 10"
W: 220 lbs
Bday: 09/18/1989
(18 Years Old)

Strengths:

? Freakish athleticism
? Frame
? Wingspan
? Shot-blocking potential
? Lateral quickness
? Finishing ability
? Tenacity/Motor
? Perimeter shooting skills
? Range out to 3-point line
? Producing at fairly high European level
? Upside

Weaknesses:

? Experience
? Back to the basket skills
? Decision making
? Basketball IQ
? Fundamentals
? Ball-handling skills
? Passing ability
? Work in progress

1191206659.jpg

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
You should also put weight as a weakness. Quentin Richardson is 4 inches shorter than him, and he weighs 15 pounds more.lol

nyKnicks126

I have no clue what you talkin about...He is a fit player. and thanks to his height he can actually JUMP. Unlike Curry, Randolph, Q, Rose, ETC.

This guy is in good shape plain and simple. That is a weakness to you lol.

Plus the pounds he weighs will change over time, almost all NBA Centers gain weight over there career. He will be fine. Look at Shaq, Dwight, Ofakor (PF), Curry is in a different league he should play for the D league..

I think its better to weight 220 Then Currys 285

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
You have a good point.Weighing 220 doesn't stop you from playing well.There's plenty of players in this league who are slim and can still play well.Bad post by me.

Last edited:

nyKnicks126

Okay now there is a huge difference in what ESPN, and NBAdraft site tell me about the rookie standings.
Top 10 Rookies projected to be Drafted in 08.
ESPN
1. Michael Beasley
2. Derrick Rose
3. Eric Gordon
4. DeAndre Jordan
5. O.J. Mayo
6. Donte Greene
7. Brook Lopez
8. Chase Budinger
9. Marreese Speights
10. Darrell Arthur

NBAdraft. net
1. Beasley
2.Rose
3.Jordan
4.Gordon
5.Greene
6.Bayless
7.Lopez
8.Batum
9.Hibbert
10.Mayo.

Do you guys think Mayo will be a suprise in the NBA, I remember when he such a good player in HS, everyone thought he would be the best pick.

Anyway I vote NBAdraft. net the better site out of the two. That site knows what they are talkin about.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
How come NBADraft.net has DeAndre Jordan going 3rd and DraftExpress doesn't have him drafted at all? I don't think I've ever seen a discrepancy in mock drafts like that before.

DraftExpress also gives Roy Hibbert a high rating. Possibly another Georgetown center coming to the Knicks?

- Fire Isiah
- Trade Curry
- Draft Hibbert
- Hire Ewing as assistant coach
- Ewing teaches Hibbert

metrocard

Legend
Hibbert is too slow to play in today's NBA as a full time, especially with big men like Horford, KG, Dwight, Amare. He will be a serviceable back up at best.

A sleeper pick is Brook Lopez, 7 foot athletic big man who can defend, rebound and shoot, very well rounded big man and very strong at 260 lbs, he's still growing into his game; has a lot of room for improvement and excellent work ethic to get him to his full potential. He worked really hard to recover from his back surgery and is looking to lead Stanford through the Pac-10.

The best draft site is draftexpress. NBADraft.net seem to have Isiahsexual like prediction ability, so never trust those guys with player projections.

nyKnicks126

I got some new player updates from draftexpress. This part of the thread this should show you a player these young draft picks are simular too, and potential wise were they get in their career, best case, and worst case.
Micheal Beasley
Best Case: More Athletic Zach Randolph
Worst Case: Al Harrington
I gotta say a athletic Z Bo is just what this league needs. Micheal will be a All Star one day for sure.

Derrick Rose
Best Case: Baron Davis
Worst Case: Antonio Daniels
Thats scary.. Antonio Daniels thats what Derrick Rose may become.. So far as a freshmen in Memphis, I am not to happy with his stats so far.. I hope he will prove people wrong so he will be as good or even better then Baron Davis.

Eric Gordon
Best Case: Rich Man's Ben Gordon
Worst Case: Flip Murray
wow what a comparison.. I believe E. Gordon, would become a better defender then Ben Gordon. Flip Murray thats won't happen unless injuries come to play for this player.

OJ Mayo (Knicks projected 4th pick)
Best Case: Dwyane Wade
Worst Case: Willie Green
That would be crazy if OJ Mayo gets more work ethic and becomes the next D Wade. Quick, and just to good (no homo) against other point guards. OJ primary position is PG, but does play SG on occasion.

What bothers me is the DeAndre Jordon is not on Draftexpress 2008 NBA Draft board. Thats messed up.

metrocard

Legend
Beasley is a new breed of big man, he has no accurate comparison.

Derrick Rose isn't a chucker like Davis, Rose still has a lot of work to do, if he doesn't improved on the rest of the season, he should stay another year for his own benefit. His jumpshot isn't really much of a threat, he hasn't look like a "pure" PG everyone was raving over him to be, he has the defensive tools; but needs more experience to make those tools effective. I'm still high on him.

Eric Gordon is IGHT, I wouldn't ride out with him as a "franchise" player like I would with Beasley.

yo knicks126, OJ Mayo plays SG @ USC, Kruger plays PG for USC, OJ Mayo is purely a SG.

He reminds me of Larry Hughes(Washington Wizards version) with 3pt range.

nyKnicks126

See I dont watch much USC. And you said Draftexpress is the best site.. They give out inaccurate information then.

I watch Georgetown, Indiana, Georgia Tech.

Knicks update. The Knicks the the 5th worst team in the NBA. and Because of the recent trade Memphis and LA. The Memphis Grizzlies wont be doing much better at all. So the 5th spot is probably were the Knicks will be, unless they somehow win the lottery, which would be awesome. ANYONE? HERE going to the 2008 NBA Draft @ the theather?

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
I'm a insane draft junkie, but DraftExpress is the best site by far, they cover EVERY league and have scouts all over the world. No other site can compare. Plus all their scouts are cool as hell to talk, you can PM or send them an email and they'll answer any question you have

I use to work @ another draft site that couldn't stay on the internet but had a huge internet fanbase called NBAdraft.tk I use to write a lot of profiles since I scouted a lot of NCAA players and players in the Latin American leagues. Since the Knicks been losing so much, it has allowed me to look into the draft deeper and deeper.

The main qualities I look for are

1. Work ethic
2. Adequate at different dimensions
3. Awareness on both ends.

I feel like "talent" and "potential" are two overrated terms that usually results in a bust; everyone has talent and potential but you can't go no where with it if you don't have good work ethic.

I look for gym rats in the draft, guys who are really determine to play basketball for a living instead of worry about how many cars they want to buy.

I'm probably going to write some scouting reports later this month when I got time, especially since March Madness is a weak away.

Keep an eye out for Jonathan Rodriguez, 6"5 SF/PF averaging 22 pg over 10 rebounds, shooting 50% in the Atlantic Sun division.

Hey Maj, I owe you a meet up; we should go to the draft together; when I find out how much are the tickets or w/e, we'll meet up and make noise @ the draft. It'll be my first ever draft I will attend.

nyKnicks126

Hey Maj, I owe you a meet up; we should go to the draft together; when I find out how much are the tickets or w/e, we'll meet up and make noise @ the draft. It'll be my first ever draft I will attend.

yo Jose, We should go to the draft. I know they sell tickets in the morning of the draft. is it expensive?but I heard people are mad LOUD @ the theather. I just gotta know the prices, I think LadyNYK knows the prices, and I will ask her now.:beer: That too, will be the first draft I will attend. Hopefully the Knicks get somewhere in the top 3 in picks. Mad knick fans are going to be there. I want to meet almost all of you guys from the forum.

Anyone else thats interested, and wants to come to the draft wit us it would be cool.

NYKnicks15

Starter
We have to take this draft as if no trades are made before deadline. or in the offseason for that matter which i dont see happening BUT that means we have a core of young guys that we should build off of Robinson, Balkman, Chandler, Lee, Morris, Collins and to an extent Curry/Randolph ugh.

As much as i like Derrick rose if we are committed to nate robinson we dont draft him. and seeing i dont think well be worse than Memphis or Twolves we really dont have a chance at him anyway. but who knows with predraft stuff going on and teams drafting for need first.

our key weakness is small forward and shot blocking. i think if we just let Balkman and Chandler play with Randolph Morris wed cover them situations a little BUT dont see that happening.

say what you will about isiah thomas he is an incredible drafter. so he might go for something that surprises us.. granted hes still with us.

the logical pick is DeAndre Jordan. This kid can move his feet on D, block very nicely and play team ball NOT needing it down low 24-7. depending on our roster at that point in time he seems like the best pick to make. somehow make a deal for randolph to leave and then you have a Curry/Lee/Jordan rotation up front.

now i dont need to say that beasley should be our main priority IF available. but at this point unless kwame brown elevates the play of memphis or the twolves go on a streak its not possible.

Im a syracuse fan all the way, so the pick of Donte Green entices me. and at 6'10 being a small forward who can score AND play D (love you Boeheim! haha) he is what we could use.

SO depending on our roster at the time of the draft
1. Beasley. 2. Jordan. 3.Green should be our order of importance.

i hate to think about rebuildin, but the time haz come to rebuild and let some1 with a real vision start. there are a bunch of solid players in the draft and hopefully we can find the one right 4 us. i love oj mayo' and derrick rose's game but obviously the last thing we need is more guards. while i dont want to get a high draft pics cuz id rather us make the playoffs, it is the inevitable that we will keep on losin :(

metrocard

Legend
i hate to think about rebuildin, but the time haz come to rebuild and let some1 with a real vision start. there are a bunch of solid players in the draft and hopefully we can find the one right 4 us. i love oj mayo' and derrick rose's game but obviously the last thing we need is more guards. while i dont want to get a high draft pics cuz id rather us make the playoffs, it is the inevitable that we will keep on losin :(

Dude, we should of rebuild 3-4 years ago. You're pretty late.

DeAndre Jordan is mad RAW...he doesn't have Bynum's talent level or work ethic, I wouldn't gamble on him.

We need a PG...I wouldn't mind grabbing DJ Augustine.
Strengths:

? Strong build
? Basketball instincts
? Mix between scoring/passing
? Outstanding ball-handling skills w/either hand
? Change of gears/Hesitation moves
? Ability to get to free throw line
? Pick and roll play
? Perimeter shooting
? Off the dribble shooting
? Quick release
? Mid-range game
? Transition play
? Court vision
? Unselfishness
? Under control play
? Assist to turnover ratio
? Commitment to playing defense
? Fundamentals
? Intangibles

Augustin's sophomore year so far:

34.9 mpg
19.1 ppg
7.0 assists
2.4 rebounds
57% FG
86% FT
47% 3 pts
4.1 TO

TJ Ford's sophomore year (won national player of the year at Texas)

33.6 mpg
15.0 ppg
7.7 assists
3.9 rebounds
40% FG
82% FT
27% 3 pts
3.2 TO

Chris Paul's sophomore year

33.4 mpg
15.2 ppg
6.6 assists
?? rebounds (can't find)
45% FG
83% FT
47% 3 pt
2.8 TO

Deron Williams junior year

33.7 mpg
12.5 ppg
6.8 assists
?? rebounds (can't find)
43% FG
68% FT
36% 3 pt
2.8 TO

Jameer Nelson senior year

33.9 mpg
20.6 ppg
5.3 assists
?? rebounds
48% FG
79% FT
39% 3 pt
2.8 TO

This a potential Steve Nash clone; passing on him would be ignorant. We need a matured complete PG, with a lot of dimensions. DJ is that guy.

The best big man in the draft is Brook Lopez, believe or not. He can shoot, scorer in the paint, and play incredible defense and is very athletic for his size. He's a hard working kid and is an angel(quiet kid that doesn't cause trouble).

If we can somehow get DJ Augustin and Brook Lopez in this draft(trade for a pick, anything), and draft a SG in the 2nd round like Courtney Lee, Richard Roby, Shan Foster, Brandon Rush(if he falls).

If this is accomplished, our future can look like

Augustin/Robinson
Roby/Collins
Balkman/Chandler
Lee/Your mom
Lopez/Morris

Pretty legit.

Last edited: