The Official NBA Draft 2008 Thread

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
As for Bayless. I think its pretty hard to know when he will be drafted in which pick. I think teams will skip on him which is a big mistake. What I see from him he is one of the most athletic players coming out of his freshmen year in college. He will be good in the NBA. I think the Knicks could use a player like Bayless, but the problem is that this player doesn't have a good secondary skill, other then shooting, his assist total isn't bad, but I think he will merge to be a good player in the NBA, he is definately NBA ready.

Wow I see a lot top 10 projected in the draft according to Draftexpress players that are from 19-20 years old. This draft has depth. DJ Augustin is CURRENTLY on the rise, he is projected 8-15 pick in the draft, Bayless top 3 pick, thats a little to much, the 6th pick should be were he will go at DEPENDING on the draft order, and team needs. Jordan has went down to the 7th pick overall, he might declare for the draft this year.

nyKnicks126

:update:RUMOR:update:

I heard ESPN, and Kenny Smith say that Michael Beasley might not declare for this years draft, and might stay with Kansas St. for another year.
If anyone watched the game yesterday you probably heard what Kenny Smith was saying about it.

I don't know why Michael Beasley won't want to declare for the draft he is a great player, and he is NBA ready. If you guys recall, Kenny Smith was talking about that Marvin Williams went to the pros to early, and made a point about Michael Beasley.

metrocard

Legend
I notice nobody is metioning Jerryd Bayless. This kid can play. He was one of the most highly touted PG's coming out of High school and he's backed it up. The guy is averaging 21.2 and 4.4 assists. Rose probably has the most upside buy Bayless has a jump shot and Rose doesn't.

I watch Texas last night and Augustine is a nice player but he's not a top 5 pick. If we get bad luck in the loterry or trade down i wouldn't mind Augustine but i couldnt see taking Augustine over Rose, Bayless, Mayo, Gordon, or possibly Ty Lawson. Lawson isnt NBA ready but he's one of the fastest guys i've ever seen.

I don't know about you guys, but just say we end up with the 6th pick and we can't get Beasley or Rose would you consider trading down and getting two first round picks and possibly unloaded a contract? Maybe you make a move with Seatlle who has like 4 1st round picks.

Augustine is much better than Bayless. Bayless isn't a PG and can't run an offense. He's Monta Ellis with range. Gordon is one dimensional. Mayo is awesome offensively and defensively, same as Rose.

Augustine leading one of the best teams in the NATION and is the best PG in college basketball right now.

Rose has a jumpshot, don't be fooled.

Jordan is mad raw, fuck him.

Lopez and Augustine are really the most skilled players at their position, along with immense talent and potential.

nyKnicks126

Augustine leading one of the best teams in the NATION and is the best PG in college basketball right now.

So if Rose is picked second. and the Knicks get the 5th pick, Lopez is picked already, would you risk, and draft him as a 5th pick? He is projected tenth pick. He really is one of the most improved, and most suprising player in my opinion. He was projected late first round, now he is top ten.

metrocard

Legend
So if Rose is picked second. and the Knicks get the 5th pick, Lopez is picked already, would you risk, and draft him as a 5th pick? He is projected tenth pick. He really is one of the most improved, and most surprising player in my opinion. He was projected late first round, now he is top ten.

I would draft Augustine or Mayo...Mayo is really underrated at this point, he reminds me a lot of Ginobili, can play defense, pass, score, shoot, very agile and athletically skilled.

Hasheem Thabeet is 7"3, but can run the floor and is the best defensive big in the draft. He has GREAT work ethic and shows he can improve within time. Compare his freshman year to his sophomore year and you'll see a huge difference in his skill. I would definately gamble on a potential Mutumbo. Thabeet > Hibbert.

nyKnicks126

I would draft Augustine or Mayo...Mayo is really underrated at this point, he reminds me a lot of Ginobili, can play defense, pass, score, shoot, very agile and athletically skilled.

Hasheem Thabeet is 7"3, but can run the floor and is the best defensive big in the draft. He has GREAT work ethic and shows he can improve within time. Compare his freshman year to his sophomore year and you'll see a huge difference in his skill. I would definately gamble on a potential Mutumbo. Thabeet > Hibbert.

Don't forget that Thabeet plays for a great College UConn. I believe that he would be good for this team too, anyone in the top ten projected in the draft can help us out, we just gotta clean house with JC, EC,and Z Bo.

Thabeet tied a school record in blocks in one game of 10, he tied Okafors record with 10 when he played there.

he's not much of a rebounder, in comparison to the NBA. Work ethic is not a problem with him, I like the school he is in. They just come to him with 8 per game. I think the extra year in college has helped this player a lot.

Metro do you have any latest videos of Thabeet?

If the Knicks get the 2nd pick lets say, would you draft Rose then? If he declared for the draft?

stevie

Benchwarmer
Augustine is much better than Bayless. Bayless isn't a PG and can't run an offense. He's Monta Ellis with range. Gordon is one dimensional. Mayo is awesome offensively and defensively, same as Rose.

Lopez and Augustine are really the most skilled players at their position, along with immense talent and potential.

I think this thinking is part of the problem we have been having. Building a great team cannot happen overnight. We need to stop looking for players that will be NBA ready for the first year. We need some projects for the future like Deandre Jordan. In my opinion this kid has the potential to be a Dwight Howard. There is no quick answer for this team. We need someone we can develop. For example the Lakers had Bynum took a few year to develop him and now look at him. If we had this mentality Rajno Rondo would be our point guard, and we would also have never traded Eddy Curry and would have had. Lamarcus Aldrige and Joakiam Noah.

How would you like our team if that was the case.

pg Rondo
sg Crawford
SF Wilson CHandler
pf Aldrige/LEE
C Jordan/Noah

All of a sudden a few more pieces and we have one of the most excitin young teams in the nba

metrocard

Legend
Projects for the future = Kwame Brown.

DJ Augustine = Chris Paul potential without the defense.

Lopez is no Frye.

Jordan is very raw, Lopez is the same AGE as Jordan is already 10 levels ahead of Jordan on terms of skill. Augustine and Lopez are both known for constantly practicing and thats what we needed. We have too many projects for the future on this team. Curry, Crawford, Richardson, Jefferies, etc; all these guys were projected to have high potential, but never lived up too it because of either poor work ethic or lack of practice on their weaknesses. Augustine and Lopez both turned their weaknesses into strengths in their sophomore seasons which shows very productive work ethic and ability to make strides and improvements each season. Jordan is getting 20 minutes a game on a non tournament team.

Knicks need matured young players with skill, work ethic and immense talent. Augustine and Lopez are the two top guys in this draft with those qualities.

:update:RUMOR:update:

I heard ESPN, and Kenny Smith say that Michael Beasley might not declare for this years draft, and might stay with Kansas St. for another year.
If anyone watched the game yesterday you probably heard what Kenny Smith was saying about it.

I don't know why Michael Beasley won't want to declare for the draft he is a great player, and he is NBA ready. If you guys recall, Kenny Smith was talking about that Marvin Williams went to the pros to early, and made a point about Michael Beasley.
yeah i heard that too. he said he's still immature and he wants to be a kid. but i think money could change his oppinion. plus, the fact that he's aware of some of the things he might do-might help him not do those things. if that made any sense.

youpddd

Rookie
why not draft chase budinger

this is a quote from draftxpress - There’s a very good chance Budinger will enter the draft this season, and if he does, he should be firmly in lottery discussions. With his work ethic, athleticism, and foundation of skills, he should be a fairly low risk prospect, likely amounting to a solid starter at worst. His continued improvement and learning curve will determine how high his ceiling is, though he doesn’t seem to have the mentality to ever be a #1 option scorer. Adding some strength, extending his shooting to NBA three-point range, and continuing to improve his ball-handling should be his main priorities at this stage.

Strengths:

• Size
• Explosiveness
• Speed
• Perimeter shooting
• Finishing ability
• Transition play
• Basketball IQ
Unselfishness
• Fundamentals
• Court vision
Willingness to defend
Upside

Weaknesses:

• Strength
• Offensive creativity
• Go-to scoring mentality
• Mid-range game
• Off the dribble shooting
• Ball-handling skills
• Mechanical/Stiff hips defensively
• Better suited for small forward position?
• Leadership?

metrocard, i wood lik 2 no wat u think about dis gy

nyKnicks126

If his leadership is uncurrent then I think that if we get the 5th pick like projected we should draft Bayless.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Does anybody know anything about Danilo Gallinari? Draft Express has him as

Best Case: European Lebron James
Worst Case: Hedo Turkoglu

Sounds pretty damn good to me! Draft Express has him going at 6th and NBADraft.net has him going at 5th (picked by Knicks). He should be available when the Knicks pick and he could be the solution to our SF issues. Wilson Chandler shows promise, but I sometimes feel like he will forever be a guy off the bench (same goes for Renaldo Balkman).

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
DrafExpress is forever changing. Now the Knicks are in line to get O.J. Mayo, which I'm all for. But this can change next week. I haven't followed Danilo Gallinari but that's a hell of a description. I did see a few Youtube videos and he's got some serious game. Might be a good pick. I can see us getting this kid and trading Crawford.

nyKnicks126

If Memphis, and Minnesota win another game and the knicks loose one all these teams will be tied for the 3rd worst teams in the NBA.

GetRealistic

Starter
Seems like the team with the worst record rarely wins the lottery. That said i really think the Knicks are going to win.

And when we do I don't want to hear any Derrick Rose stuff. Rose has tons of talent and most likely will be an all star in the league. But if we get the # 1 pick you have to take Beasley. I don't care if we have 100 forwards and desperately need a PG. Beasley from the looks of it is a sure thing to average 20 and 10 for his career. And oh yea he can defend.

GetRealistic

Starter
Dude they lost days ago. Get with it.

Heres a question for you guys. What represenitive would you send to the loterry to sit there when they award the picks.

nyKnicks126

wow great question. I think if Ewing wouldn't have had been an assisant for Houston, and now Orlando. I think it should have been Ewing. But the representitive should be a Legend. Walt Clyde Frazier. Who do you guys think should be the rep?