Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas Mavericks vs New York Knicks Game Thread

Hybrid View

Game Thread Dallas Mavericks vs New York Knicks Game Thread

Dallas Mavericks (13-8) vs New York Knicks (6-13)
    7:30p.m. ET live on MSG

Im your host Jazzy Jeff and its time to take a look at my pregame strategy for a difficult matchup against one of the best teams in the West. Dallas is coming off an impressive 125-117 victory over the Utah Jazz. Josh Howard led the way with 47 points and 10 rebounds, maybe the best player on the Mavericks even ahead of last years MVP Dirk Nowitzki. The Knicks will have to play a near-perfect game if they want to win.

Lets take a look at the starting lineups:

Dallas Mavericks

pg = Devin Harris
    sg = Jason Terry
    sf = Josh Howard
    pf = Dirk Nowitzki
    C = Erick Dampier

New York Knicks

Point Guard - Stephon Marbury
    Shooting Guard - Jamal Crawford
    Small Forward - Quentin Richardson
    Power Forward - Zach Randolph

Center - Eddy Curry

What do the Knicks need to do to win?

• Defend the perimeter: Dallas has 3 or 4 guys who can hit 3's all night so the Knicks need to contest those shots.
    • Play half court game: This will protect the Knicks from falling behind real big, a slower pace will not allow Mavs to put points on board in a hurry.
    • Play hard defense: The Mavs turn the ball over more then the Knicks, they need to pressure on defense and try to force turnovers

Lets take a look at each matchup:

Stephon Marbury vs Devin Harris

Two solid point guards going head to head, They both are averaging similar numbers. I think Marbury can outplay Harris assuming hes gotten some rest, Harris does not do anything special but he does what he needs to do. He's a good defender, but Marbury is stronger and when hes determined to get to the hoop, few point guards can get in his way. Stephon needs to outplay Harris. There will be matchup problems for the Knicks at other positions so Marbury needs to outplay Harris. One other note, Devin Harris is only shooting 23% from downtown.

Jamal Crawford vs Jason Terry

Jason Terry is small, but quick. He'll be a tough cover for Jamal Crawford because of his speed. He's shooting about 47 percent from behind the stripe so Crawford needs to at least get a hand in his face. Most likely, Crawford will not bring anything defensively so he needs to take advantage of a smaller opponent on offense. Jamal needs to be efficient on offense, take care of the ball, and look to pass. I would like to see him attack the hoop and shoot a better percentage then normal. I'm giving him the pass on defense as long as he is productive on offense.

Quentin Richardson vs Josh Howard

If Josh Howard can score 47 points against Andre Kirilenko, the Knicks could have a big problem tomorrow night. Q-Rich will have to do his best to stay in front of Howard and contest every single one of his shots. He needs to give it 100% and nothing less. If Richardson cannot get anything going on offense, he needs to stop shooting and put all his focus on defense and rebounding. Howard is shooting almost 50% from the field and he will be a tough player to stop.

Zach Randolph vs Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is one of the best powerforwards in the league. He scores, rebounds, passes, and hes not a bad defender averaging a block a game. Dirk plays with alot of heart and passion. He will be a tough cover for Zach because of his inside-outside game. Z-Bo needs to take away Dirks inside game by using his strength advantage. Nowitzki should not be able to back down Zach, but things don't always happen the way they are supposed to.

Eddy Curry vs Erick Dampier

Curry will have a tough time on offense so for the 4th straight game its another good oppertunity for Curry to work on his defense and rebounding. DeSagana Diop is a good backup center who will also give Curry a tough time. Dampier might be even tougher then Dalembert because hes not only a good shotblocker but hes also stronger, which will allow him to hold his position better against Curry.

Knicks bench vs Mavs bench

Jerry Stackhouse, DeSagana Diop, Brandon Bass, and Trenton Hassel are the biggest names off of Dallas's bench. Brandon Bass is a young, talented player who is a very good defender. Hassel is also capable of slowing down a good scorer, and Stackhouse can quickly put some points on the board. Isiah needs to bring Lee and Balkmen into the game as soon as the starters start to look not interested. Instead of falling behind early, maybe the bench can bring their energy and keep the Knicks in the game.

This will be a tough game for the Knicks, but in my opinion Dallas is a very good team but they are overrated. They can score, but their defense and rebounding is average. The Knicks are capable of at least being a better rebounding team then they have shown, and they need to show it if they want to somehow beat Dallas and makeup for those 2 bad losses against Philadelphia.

Thanks for joining me and remember that you can catch the Knicks Monday night, 7:30p.m. on MSG.

Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar

I think we all know the outcome of this game.

yea man I can say it now but I cant say it in the thread, we're gonna get raped by Dallas.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Jose Juan Barea drops 101 points on the Knicks.

well idk...anywun remember the game in Dallas last season...one of the best games...well hopefully i can be like that 1...BUT threw all the shyt were going threw expect a 30 point blowout

Im expecting a win and a 10 year contract extension afterward for isiah.

Originally Posted by MSGKnickz33
    Dallas Mavericks (13-8) vs New York Knicks (6-13)

7:30p.m. ET live on MSG

Im your host Jazzy Jeff and its time to take a look at my pregame strategy for a difficult matchup against one of the best teams in the West. Dallas is coming off an impressive 125-117 victory over the Utah Jazz. Josh Howard led the way with 47 points and 10 rebounds, maybe the best player on the Mavericks even ahead of last years MVP Dirk Nowitzki. The Knicks will have to play a near-perfect game if they want to win.

Quentin Richardson vs Josh Howard

If Josh Howard can score 47 points against Andre Kirilenko, the Knicks could have a big problem tomorrow night. Q-Rich will have to do his best to stay in front of Howard and contest every single one of his shots. He needs to give it 100% and nothing less. If Richardson cannot get anything going on offense, he needs to stop shooting and put all his focus on defense and rebounding. Howard is shooting almost 50% from the field and he will be a tough player to stop.
    MSGknicks, No that picture you have is of will smith not Jazzy jeff! Kidding
    On a serious note, Kirilenko is a sick defender and thats a good point. Hopefully the fact that Q is a little more stocky than Howard and Kirilenko, he'll be able to push him around a little, box out better.
    But overall I see myself disgusted and yelling at the TV again. Fire Isiah.
    P.S. You do look like the will smith.

Is anyone actually going to be foolish enough to waste their time and energy watching this game?

Do yourself a favor.

Spend more time with the kids, wife, girlfriend, do Christmas shopping etc.... Do anything but waste your time watching this team until Isiah is gone, the team has some players on it that haven't already thrown in the towel, or the team is taken away from Dolan (or he dies). There is no point in continuing to suffer until there is some hope. There is no hope the way things are now.

We have hit bottom. Like all addicts, we have to admit the problem and then go forward. GO COLD TURKEY!

I think Im at that point, I dont know why I keep watchin them. Im wastin my time, this team is goin nowhere until player/coach/management changes are made.

Halftime report (For those of you who are as dumb as me and are watchin the game, well at least we got this, were still smarter then Isiah and Dolan).

New York (36points)

Crawford - 12pts(3-12), 2 asts
    Richardson - 7pts, 4rbs
    Randolph - 0pts(0-6)
    Curry - 2pts(1-7)

Dallas (49pts)

Nowitzki - 19pts(8-12), 5rbs

Were lucky to be down by 13 points, Zach and Curry should be benched the second half. Play Morris, Chandler, Collins, Balkmen, and Lee.

im watching this via gamecast and it seems we have nothing upfront. very lucky to be this close.
    I have money on Crawford to hit over 20pts so drain a few 3's baby

Screw these losers.... I'm gona put on WWE RAW. Who's with me?

I hear Brett Hart is gona be there... brings me back to when i was a kid

Originally Posted by Starks

I dont think i can get into wrestling again but I aint hatin, anything is more entertaining then the Knicks game. Im not sure why im still watching the game.

Originally Posted by Starks

i'm with ya.

luv seeing them old clips they're showing. hope the Rock can make a appearence.

oh by the way, it's the 3rd quarter and the Knicks are still lossing. what a shock (very,Very sarcastic.)

DAMN!!!!
    I got Atlanta to win, Crawford 21 pts or more and Miami to beat Phoenix!!
    Will win $900, give the rock to Jamal!!!!!
    Miami up by 11pts at quarter time and Atlanta will win