Dallas Mavericks vs New York Knicks Game Thread

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Dallas Mavericks (13-8) vs New York Knicks (6-13)
7:30p.m. ET live on MSG​

Im your host Jazzy Jeff and its time to take a look at my pregame strategy for a difficult matchup against one of the best teams in the West. Dallas is coming off an impressive 125-117 victory over the Utah Jazz. Josh Howard led the way with 47 points and 10 rebounds, maybe the best player on the Mavericks even ahead of last years MVP Dirk Nowitzki. The Knicks will have to play a near-perfect game if they want to win.

Lets take a look at the starting lineups:

Dallas Mavericks

pg = Devin Harris
sg = Jason Terry
sf = Josh Howard
pf = Dirk Nowitzki
C = Erick Dampier

New York Knicks:gony:

Point Guard - Stephon Marbury
Shooting Guard - Jamal Crawford
Small Forward - Quentin Richardson
Power Forward - Zach Randolph

Center - Eddy Curry

What do the Knicks need to do to win?

• Defend the perimeter: Dallas has 3 or 4 guys who can hit 3's all night so the Knicks need to contest those shots.
  • Play half court game: This will protect the Knicks from falling behind real big, a slower pace will not allow Mavs to put points on board in a hurry.
  • Play hard defense: The Mavs turn the ball over more then the Knicks, they need to pressure on defense and try to force turnovers

Lets take a look at each matchup:

Stephon Marbury vs Devin Harris

Two solid point guards going head to head, They both are averaging similar numbers. I think Marbury can outplay Harris assuming hes gotten some rest, Harris does not do anything special but he does what he needs to do. He's a good defender, but Marbury is stronger and when hes determined to get to the hoop, few point guards can get in his way. Stephon needs to outplay Harris. There will be matchup problems for the Knicks at other positions so Marbury needs to outplay Harris. One other note, Devin Harris is only shooting 23% from downtown.

Jamal Crawford vs Jason Terry

Jason Terry is small, but quick. He'll be a tough cover for Jamal Crawford because of his speed. He's shooting about 47 percent from behind the stripe so Crawford needs to at least get a hand in his face. Most likely, Crawford will not bring anything defensively so he needs to take advantage of a smaller opponent on offense. Jamal needs to be efficient on offense, take care of the ball, and look to pass. I would like to see him attack the hoop and shoot a better percentage then normal. I'm giving him the pass on defense as long as he is productive on offense.

Quentin Richardson vs Josh Howard

If Josh Howard can score 47 points against Andre Kirilenko, the Knicks could have a big problem tomorrow night. Q-Rich will have to do his best to stay in front of Howard and contest every single one of his shots. He needs to give it 100% and nothing less. If Richardson cannot get anything going on offense, he needs to stop shooting and put all his focus on defense and rebounding. Howard is shooting almost 50% from the field and he will be a tough player to stop.

Zach Randolph vs Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is one of the best powerforwards in the league. He scores, rebounds, passes, and hes not a bad defender averaging a block a game. Dirk plays with alot of heart and passion. He will be a tough cover for Zach because of his inside-outside game. Z-Bo needs to take away Dirks inside game by using his strength advantage. Nowitzki should not be able to back down Zach, but things don't always happen the way they are supposed to.

Eddy Curry vs Erick Dampier

Curry will have a tough time on offense so for the 4th straight game its another good oppertunity for Curry to work on his defense and rebounding. DeSagana Diop is a good backup center who will also give Curry a tough time. Dampier might be even tougher then Dalembert because hes not only a good shotblocker but hes also stronger, which will allow him to hold his position better against Curry.

Knicks bench vs Mavs bench

Jerry Stackhouse, DeSagana Diop, Brandon Bass, and Trenton Hassel are the biggest names off of Dallas's bench. Brandon Bass is a young, talented player who is a very good defender. Hassel is also capable of slowing down a good scorer, and Stackhouse can quickly put some points on the board. Isiah needs to bring Lee and Balkmen into the game as soon as the starters start to look not interested. Instead of falling behind early, maybe the bench can bring their energy and keep the Knicks in the game.

This will be a tough game for the Knicks, but in my opinion Dallas is a very good team but they are overrated. They can score, but their defense and rebounding is average. The Knicks are capable of at least being a better rebounding team then they have shown, and they need to show it if they want to somehow beat Dallas and makeup for those 2 bad losses against Philadelphia.

Thanks for joining me and remember that you can catch the Knicks Monday night, 7:30p.m. on MSG.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
well idk...anywun remember the game in Dallas last season...one of the best games...well hopefully i can be like that 1...BUT threw all the shyt were going threw expect a 30 point blowout

Pricey

Rotation player
If Boston can beat us by almost 50 then i think Dallas could get about that.
I would like to see Lee get a crack at Nowitzki, obviously Dirk is a better player but hell at least he would be able to run and jump with him.
Is there a Webcast of the game that i can watch from here in Australia?

Trin_Starr

Starter
don't think steph is playing tonight.

by the way - anyone going to the game?
I'll be in the 400s area and booin' like a motherf#cker!!
Got me some $10 seats :) lol

jzero29

Rotation player
Dallas Mavericks (13-8) vs New York Knicks (6-13)​

7:30p.m. ET live on MSG

Im your host Jazzy Jeff and its time to take a look at my pregame strategy for a difficult matchup against one of the best teams in the West. Dallas is coming off an impressive 125-117 victory over the Utah Jazz. Josh Howard led the way with 47 points and 10 rebounds, maybe the best player on the Mavericks even ahead of last years MVP Dirk Nowitzki. The Knicks will have to play a near-perfect game if they want to win.

Quentin Richardson vs Josh Howard

If Josh Howard can score 47 points against Andre Kirilenko, the Knicks could have a big problem tomorrow night. Q-Rich will have to do his best to stay in front of Howard and contest every single one of his shots. He needs to give it 100% and nothing less. If Richardson cannot get anything going on offense, he needs to stop shooting and put all his focus on defense and rebounding. Howard is shooting almost 50% from the field and he will be a tough player to stop.
MSGknicks, No that picture you have is of will smith not Jazzy jeff! Kidding
On a serious note, Kirilenko is a sick defender and thats a good point. Hopefully the fact that Q is a little more stocky than Howard and Kirilenko, he'll be able to push him around a little, box out better.
But overall I see myself disgusted and yelling at the TV again. Fire Isiah.
P.S. You do look like the will smith.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
Is anyone actually going to be foolish enough to waste their time and energy watching this game?

Do yourself a favor.

Spend more time with the kids, wife, girlfriend, do Christmas shopping etc.... Do anything but waste your time watching this team until Isiah is gone, the team has some players on it that haven't already thrown in the towel, or the team is taken away from Dolan (or he dies). There is no point in continuing to suffer until there is some hope. There is no hope the way things are now.

We have hit bottom. Like all addicts, we have to admit the problem and then go forward. GO COLD TURKEY!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think Im at that point, I dont know why I keep watchin them. Im wastin my time, this team is goin nowhere until player/coach/management changes are made.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
KNICKS PRE GAME Hype.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ROPnPh_YjQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ROPnPh_YjQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I never seen this kind of emotion from Isiah Thomas EVER..

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
o man i love that game...so close all the time showed me how good the knicks can be against the best team in the league last year...i miss those knicks 4 that 1 day

pat

Starter
The thing is every time you think they are done they come back and win a game. This could be such a game. Dallas is everything but consistent this year. Obviously they are not completely over their first round playoff disaster yet. Everybody is waiting for Dirk to choke again and that is a hell lot of pressure. I really hope the Knicks lose because it seems like the fasted way to a complete bottom-up rebuild but actually I think they will win this one. But don't ask me why.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Halftime report (For those of you who are as dumb as me and are watchin the game, well at least we got this, were still smarter then Isiah and Dolan).

New York (36points)

Crawford - 12pts(3-12), 2 asts
Richardson - 7pts, 4rbs
Randolph - 0pts(0-6)
Curry - 2pts(1-7)

Dallas (49pts)

Nowitzki - 19pts(8-12), 5rbs

Were lucky to be down by 13 points, Zach and Curry should be benched the second half. Play Morris, Chandler, Collins, Balkmen, and Lee.

Pricey

Rotation player
im watching this via gamecast and it seems we have nothing upfront. very lucky to be this close.
I have money on Crawford to hit over 20pts so drain a few 3's baby

Starks

Starter
Screw these losers.... I'm gona put on WWE RAW. Who's with me?

I hear Brett Hart is gona be there... brings me back to when i was a kid