[article] Grieving Marbury Takes Leave From Knicks Again

reckoning

Benchwarmer
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/12/20/marbury.knicks.ap/index.html

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) -- Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury was away from the team again Thursday, and coach Isiah Thomas wasn't sure when he'd return.

Marbury has missed six of the last nine games since his father died Dec. 2.

Thomas hesitated when asked if he expected Marbury to bounce back and be a contributor.

"He's really having a rough time," Thomas said. "I hope that he can come out of this because he's having a very difficult time."

Marbury officially did not attend Thursday's practice because of a combination of flu-like symptoms and personal reasons. Thomas did not expect him to travel to Friday's game at Charlotte.

"I'm more concerned with Steph just getting back to being happy and dealing with the stuff he has to deal with more than getting back for basketball purposes," guard Jamal Crawford said.

Donald Marbury died after becoming ill while attending a game at Madison Square Garden. Stephon Marbury was in uniform for Wednesday's win over Cleveland but did not play. He had rejoined the team Sunday and played Monday, but didn't practice Tuesday on what would have been his father's birthday.

"We'll get him as much time as he needs," said Thomas, who hadn't yet spoken with Marbury on Thursday. "Again, he's having a very difficult time."

The mood was otherwise upbeat after Thursday's practice. A night earlier, the Knicks posted their most lopsided victory of the season, 108-90 over the reigning Eastern Conference champs.

Forward David Lee started laughing when he was asked if he slept better Wednesday night.

"Absolutely," he said. "Are you kidding me? I got home and went right to sleep. I had a couple nights where I didn't sleep as well thinking about a couple of those losses, so it was great to get a win."

The Knicks have strung together back-to-back victories just twice this season, and each time both wins were at home.

"I think this could be a big stepping stone for us," Lee said. "I guess we're going to see tomorrow. That's the big test: Can we follow it up with another win?"

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac

I gotta respect Crawford and yes, Isiah, for being patient and understanding with Marbury, knowing that his personal health comes 1st. I pray for Marbury, hopefully he can get through the pain of losing his father but I would like to see him happy and fully through the grieving process before he comes back. It would be nice if the team can keep playing hard and winning games while hes away.

reckoning

Benchwarmer
absolutely. there's nothing quite like losing a family member. especially a parent. it's times like those when you remember there is much much more to life than a stupid basketball game.

Trin_Starr

Starter
The death of his father is really affecting him big time.
As we all know basketball is 90% mental and right now, Steph is very emotionally unstable...
the death plus the fact that his dad's bday was a few days ago coupled with the fact that it's xmas - he's really struggling to cope with the whole situation.

The fact that Marbury has lost weight so quickly is a sure fire sign of depression. I hope that he is able to deal with this ordeal and move on a stronger person.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
i can see steph coming back blazing hot. Hes a fighter, hes got heart. Right now hes going through a tough time but i expect him to come back extremely focused.

I must say also i respect crawford and isiah for showing patience. Its nice to know that people come before winning.

GTKnicksFAN

Benchwarmer
I think this is waking crawford up and he is becoming a captain ... i feel for u marbury i say give all the time he needs

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
well idk...well yea crawford can become our leader hopefully he just gets betta...like become more consistent and take smart shots and HUSTLE AND D UP

Starks

Starter
There are whispers Marbury may not even come back at all.

For his sake, I think he should take the rest of the season off and try to have his contract bought out. Then make a judgment if he wants to return to NBA later on.

Athlete's have parents, children, and all other types of close relatives past away. And they all move on and go back to work, like our employer's would expect and demand from us.

Pretty soon, the media will catch on to this and nail him for his overall body of work this season. Being the over and borderline unstable emotional guy he is, I don't think he would be able to take any more stress.

If he makes an announcement that he isn't coming back now, people will be more understanding of it. But it remains a mystery when he will return, the critics will start to slam him just like Randolph got slammed for missing those few games.

The timing of all this was horrible for him. But coming back to the Knicks would probably not help his stress level. Looking at him on the bench the last game, the dude really looked like sick and tormented.

I don't blame him though. God forbid anything happened to my little sister, I would quit my job and stay home for months trying to regroup.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i always felt playing basketball was a way to get away from things like dat, i me personally i rather play ball than be home and thinking about da death of a close one but i guess ppl handle it different

Knicks1stLady

Benchwarmer
i always felt playing basketball was a way to get away from things like dat, i me personally i rather play ball than be home and thinking about da death of a close one but i guess ppl handle it different

Thats how I feel as well,I would rather keep my mind off it

mArBuRyIsAmOrOn

Benchwarmer
I gotta respect Crawford and yes, Isiah, for being patient and understanding with Marbury, knowing that his personal health comes 1st. ...

How pathetically gullible are you anyway. Marbury is doing nothing more than milking this situation for all it's worth in order to prolong the agony of having to get back on Thomass's SS Titanic.

Starks

Starter
w/Marbs - Knicks are 5-13(.278%)
w/o Marbs - Knicks are 3-4(.429%)

w/Marbs - Knicks averaging 92.1 ppg
w/o Marbs - Knicks averaging 99.9 ppg

w/Marbs - Jamal averaging 16.3 ppg, Fred Jones averaging 3.2 ppg
w/o Marbs - Jamal averaging 24.1 ppg, Fred Jones averaging 12.3 ppg

Maybe Thomas hopes he stays home?

metrocard

Legend
w/Marbs - Knicks are 5-13(.278%)
w/o Marbs - Knicks are 3-4(.429%)

w/Marbs - Knicks averaging 92.1 ppg
w/o Marbs - Knicks averaging 99.9 ppg

w/Marbs - Jamal averaging 16.3 ppg, Fred Jones averaging 3.2 ppg
w/o Marbs - Jamal averaging 24.1 ppg, Fred Jones averaging 12.3 ppg

Maybe Thomas hopes he stays home?

We're not a better team without Marbury.

We're a better team when Curry's minutes are limited.

Trin_Starr

Starter
How pathetically gullible are you anyway. Marbury is doing nothing more than milking this situation for all it's worth in order to prolong the agony of having to get back on Thomass's SS Titanic.

Riiiiiiiight
I guess Jordan was doing the same thing in 93 when he retired from Basketball because of the death of his father?
Or when Odom took months off and also contemplated retirement when he lost his daughter....

They were both milking the situation...right of course. They had to be.

Some fathers actually play a pivotal role in their son's life and that loss cuts very deep.

Roy Munson

Rookie
We're not a better team without Marbury.

Of course not. Don't let crazy things like FACTS cloud your judgement.

Marbury has played for UNDERPERFORMING teams his entire career. But I'm sure it was always someone else's fault.

There's so much more to being a basketball player than physical skills. The ability to WIN is most important, and in that area, Marbury is completely inadequate. People who keep buying into his hype are morons. You don't win basketball games by getting the most highlights on Sportscenter.

---

Now, as far as who I'd rather take, Marbury or Jones on my team....it's not even a question. JONES. Jones can't shoot as well, and he can't dribble as well, and he doesn't make as many fancy plays, but in EVERY OTHER ASPECT of the game, JONES IS BETTER. Defense, passing, hustle, rebounding and teamwork, JONES IS BETTER. Being able to win games, JONES IS BETTER. Look at the lifetime winning percentage since they've been in the league...JONES IS BETTER.