Balkman & Morris the missing Knicks

Kiyaman

Legend
Balkman and Morris _ the missing Knicks

A lot of readers ask why Renaldo Balkman's stock has plummeted since his breakout rookie season and although he didn't say so flat-out Tuesday, Isiah Thomas suggested the second-year forward isn't as focused as he was a year ago.

"The energy and effort that he brought to the game last year and the consistency _ he was able to change the game with his effort and his energy, and a lot on the defensive side of the ball _ that hasn't happened much this year," Thomas said.

Then asked whether Balkman's preseason ankle injury set him back or if he's missing the commitment of last season, veteran Isiah-watchers recognized that what he didn't say meant more than what he did: "I think the injury set him back a little bit."

In other words, the bigger bit is that Balkman isn't working as hard.
So, when the trade rumors start to blow between now and the Feb. 21 league deadline, expect his name to come up, a lot.

And scratch Balkman's name from the list of Thomas' "draft gems" _ which now no longer includes the departed Trevor Ariza and Channing Frye. The jury's still out on Nate Robinson, which leaves David Lee.

Speaking of "gems," remember the hue and cry over Thomas signing Randolph Morris last spring, "an early lottery pick," as he was called?
Well, before Tuesday, Morris had played in exactly ONE game this season because, among other things, he's displayed the mobility of a lawn chair.

Thomas' explanation for the Kentucky big man not playing, though, was this: "He's a good player. He's a good rebounder. I think he understands the NBA concepts now in terms of pro offenses and pro defenses.

There are three guys playing in front of him [Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph, Lee] and with a veteran like Malik [Rose], it's just been tough to get him court time."

Which begs the question: When does Isiah call this season a wrap and start force-feeding youngsters at the expense of veterans?
Not yet, apparently.

"If your team's playing better, you can kind of take some more chances with the young guys," he said. "But with the situation that we're in right now, you want to try and win as many games as you possibly can to get your team moving."

Good line from Isiah about spending time with his mom Monday night. They were watching "Deal or No Deal" (remember when Howie Mandel was that weird comic who wore a plastic glove on his head and played Dr. Fiscus on "St.

Elsewhere" instead of the host of some schlocky prime-time quiz show?) and she watched a guy who had $79,000 turn down an opportunity for what turned out to be $111,000, her son said.

"She said, 'Oh man, he had $100,000, oh man,'" Thomas said. "I'm sitting there thinking to myself, 'I think you're doing all right, old lady.'"

Considering what he's made before the better part of $24 million he's still owed by the Knicks via his current contract, she should be.

I have No Luv for Isiah the Coach!

The most important lineup that the Knicks President/Coach was supposed to play during the Preseason Games were his 5-0 Summer League Starting-5 lineup of:

PG-Nate (MVP)
SG-D-Nichols
SF-Chandler
PF-Balkman if injured, David Lee
C-Randolph Morris

The above lineup could've been a second-unit lineup in the Preseason Games to see how well they learned to co-exist together vs NBA players.

Starks

Starter
I agree with the notion of playing the young ones more. This season is over. It's one of the worst I ever saw in my life, and I think fans should be paid a salary for putting up with the franchise at this point.

Rose should not be getting minutes.
Jeffries shouldn't.
Everyone else should have their minutes cut down.

Thomas may think he's cute with his "we're getting better each day, and we will make a run at the playoffs" speech after every game. But the fact of the matter is that he's just wasting valuable minutes on a starting lineup that should be regressing.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
It's hard to know how Morris would look if he got minutes, but I think I understand the problem with Balkman. The major weakness of this team right now is outside shooting - especially at small forward. It's tough to find minutes for Balkman because he can't shoot from the outside at all. If we had above average outside shooting at other positions, we could use Balkman's defense, energy, and hustle in a positive way. As it is now, if you combine him with Lee, Curry, Jeffries, Collins, and several other bench players you have a problem from the outside. If you combine him with Crawford/Robinson/Marbury they can't pick up the slack unless one of them just happens to be very hot that night. He's a very useful player, but maybe not on this team given its current players.

Last edited:

Starks

Starter
So much for the "Balkman was a better draftpick than Marcus Williams" talk.

Hey, who were some players drafted after our Joe Camel?

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Very good point Kiyaman!

I rather have young cheap players. Then old players that are used to loosing like Jamal, Eddy, Marbury, etc.

Thats why I like the summer leagues. Its how the future might look in the NBA. Knicks on top is what I like.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I thought Isiah Thomas made a bad decision by not giving Randolph Morris, Balkman, and Wilson Chandler more minutes. The Knicks need good defenders, and nobody on the starting lineup has shown they could consistently defend. Also, he should've kept Demitris Nichols(the 2nd Round pick from Portland). He did a good job at the Summer League, and he played well in his limited playing time in the Preseason.He is 6-8, so with Richardson having Injury problems, Nichols could've filled in for him and provided 3 point shooting.Also, Nichols shot a good ft% in college, which the Knicks need more of at the sf position especially(Richardson 54%ft, Jared Jeffries 50%ft, Balkman 40% ft).

bullshit, balkman's playin with the same energy and the same effort that he had last year. Isiah's just making excuses for being an asshole

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Yeah a great example of Balkman playing with energy was the 3rd game of the season.. 4th quarter were the Knicks had that run thanks to Balkmans hustle. (Denver game)

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Yeah a great example of Balkman playing with energy was the 3rd game of the season.. 4th quarter were the Knicks had that run thanks to Balkmans hustle. (Denver game)

Word Balkman shut Carmello down!!! That was the game where everyone was sayin that Curry was better then camby but after that game things really went downhill. I think with marbury back and Nate really playin well Balkman should get more minutes because we are gettin better perimeter shootin now.

Kiyaman

Legend
Here we go!

The WISE vs the Dummy.

The Orlando Magics took a money lost to gain a young energetic Team Player.
Francis for Penny but the Jewl was Trevor Ariza.

The Portland Blazers took a money lost to gain a young energetic Team-Player.
Zach for Francis but the Jewl was Channing Frye & Demetris Nichols.

The Dummy Management in the Knicks organization has made Flops after flops.
The Spurs trade of Malik Rose for Nazr the Jewl player was David Lee.
The Phoenix trade of Q.Richardson for Kurt Thomas the Jewl player was Nate Robinson.

The Knicks are lacking in the intelligence department within Management and Coaching.
Especially, if you watched the Knicks 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 Knicks Summer League Games in the offseason. The Potential young athletic players that were PURE Team-Players with offense & defense in their overall talents & Skillz starting with "Trevor Ariza, Nate Robinson, David Lee, Channing Frye, Jackie Butler, Mardy Collins, Renaldo Balkman, Randolph Morris, Wilson Chandler, and Demetris Nichols".

Having the chance to watch Ten young Athletic Players co-exist with a chemistry together on both offense/defense in the last four offseasons and not Keep each of these young potential future players on your Roster has to be insane when your Veteran Players are only worth 33 WINS in a 82 season.