Official Walt Clyde Frazier Thread

metrocard

Legend
Hey, with the current state of the Knicks what else is there to talk about?

Time to show some love to the legend, the best color commentator in sports and one of the greatest PG's of all time.

pho_clyde.jpg

Walter "Clyde" Frazier (
Position:point guard
Jersey #:10
Born: March 29, 1945 (age 62)
Atlanta, Georgia

He is known for catch phrases including:

* "dishing and swishing"
* "swooping and hooping"
* "bounding and astounding"
* "movin' and groovin'"
* "out-muscling and out-hustling"
* "shaking and baking"
* "spinning and winning"
* "posting and toasting"
* "stumbling and bumbling"
* "banking and thanking"
* "hustling and muscling"
* "slicing and dicing!"
* "huffing and puffing"
* "stopping and popping"
* "hanging and banging"
* "It don't mean a thing, If you don't have that swing"
* "The court is 50 feet wide, not wide enough for Houston"
* "[insert player here] beginning to percolate"
* "all the Knicks with the knack tonight"
* "matador D"

"Out-muscling and out-hustling"

"The Hawks have been persistent, but the Knicks have been resistent"

"Abdur-Rahim with fire and desire"

Walt Frazier's #10 jersey was retired by the New York Knicks on December 15, 1979.

In 1987, Walt Frazier was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame along with Pete Maravich and Rick Barry.

In 1996, he was elected to the NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team.

http://www.widewordofsports.com/Features/Walt_Frazier_Dictionary.htm

walt_frazier.jpg

The Walt "Clyde" Frazier Dictionary

A

adjacent - next to; adjoining Sprewell will inbound the ball adjacent to the Knicks bench.

altruistic - showing unselfish concern for the welfare of others A very altruistic Robinson here tonight - looking for his teammates.

aroused - to stir up, excite And the crowd at Madison Square Garden is aroused!

auspicious - marked by success Sprewell off to an auspicious beginning here tonight.

B

baffling - to frustrate by confusing or perplexing; stymie The Knicks defense is baffling the Hawks.

bedevil - to torment mercilessly, to plague It's the little things that bedevil losing teams.

blunder - A usually serious mistake typically caused by ignorance or confusion Ratliff makes a blunder there by fouling Eisley.

D

diminutive - extremely small in size Dion Glover is diminutive at 6'5".

diligent - marked by painstaking effort Glenn Robinson has been working diligently.

E

egregious - conspicuously bad or offensive as in "an egregious blunder"

I

impotence - the quality of lacking strength or power Harrington is providing the impotence on the defensive boards.

N

neophyte - a beginner or novice Two points there for the young neophyte.

O

omnipotence - having unlimited power or authority There you see the omnipotence of Rahim right there.

omnipresent - present in all places at the same time There's the omnipresent Ewing with another rebound.

P

penchant - a strong inclination The Knicks have a penchant for turning the ball over late in the game.

precocious - characterized by early maturity The precocious rookie is playing well tonight.

prodigious - impressively great in size, force or extent Sprewell is off to a prodigious start.

prolific - producing abundant works or results Houston is off to a prolific start in the second half.

prudent - wise in handling practical matters The Knicks are doing the prudent thing featuring Sprewell in the early going.

Q

quantum - something that can be counted or measured Rahim with a quantum leap!

R

rejuvenate - to restore to an original or new condition A rejuvinated Van Horn keeps the Knicks in the game.

riveting - to engross or hold The Knicks are playing riveting defense.

S

serendipidty - the faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident The ball comes off of Robinson's leg and goes right to Houston for three - a little serendipity right there.

stupor - a state of mental numbness The Knicks have a tendency to go into stupors.

T

tenacious - holding or tending to hold persistently to something The Knicks are playing tenacious 'd'.

tumultuous - noisy and disorderly Rahim has had a tumultuous night so far.

U

uncanny - peculiarly unsettling as if supernatural in nature Jason Terry is an uncanny shooter from three.

I want my Clyde TV
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/KBQB_blog/2007/11/i_want_my_clyde_tv.html
None of us can fix the Knicks, unless of course, James Dolan or one of his minions is a Keyboard Quarterbacks fan and reads this.

We doubt it, since if he had the time to read our little Web nook, then he has no excuse for presiding over the worst excuse for a New York sports team. At 4-11, the Knicks have the sixth worst record in the NBA. Of course, after a 748-point to Boston on Thursday night, it's a wonder the Knicks found four teams capable of scoring less points than them for a few hours.

However, here's an idea to make the Knicks infinitely more watchable on television. And the Dolan family, already cable television magnates, will be able to get behind this plan.

walt_frazier.jpgWe all know about Walt "Clyde" Frazier's auspicious penchant for vocabularic flare and invention. He's been thriving and surviving (when he's not swooping and hooping) for years behind the microphone.

It's time to capitalize on it from a viewing standpoint instead of just impersonating his schtick with your friends or on calls to WFAN.

It's time for "Clyde TV."

Every time the omnipotent Clyde drops a word never before associated with the game of basketball, a little graphic pops up on the screen and gives a definition of the word.

Or, MSG could flash three different definitions and ask viewers to text their answer choice to "CLYDE." Viewers could then compete for prizes for most correct answers each game. Or do it online through MSG's Web site. This has remarkable potential in a time when the team does not. And should the Knicks ever resemble the teams of the early 1990s and win games, having this function in place already would greatly benefit the Dolans' pockets.

When Clyde throws out a word that is not a word outside of Clyde's World, a little "That's not a real word, just a 'Clydeism'" graphic could pop up onto the screen. Or they could ask the viewers to guess if it's a real word or not.

Seriously, this could be sports' answer to "American Idol" and "Dancing With the Stars."

It could revolutionize the way we watch the Knicks on Dolan's MSG Network. Heck, it could even make us watch the games, especially later in the season when the Knicks are fighting for the right to screw up another high placement in the NBA lottery.

But, wait, there's more.

Back in the day, unconventional polysyllabic words that appear in English essays and nowhere else were called "50-cent words."

We can apply this to Clyde TV, too. Each time he throws out a big word, a cash register pops up onto the screen and displays the total amount of money Clyde's vociferous vocabulary has yielded on the night.

Any time he throws in a word in another language, that's worth a $1. Any time he makes up a word, that's a 50-cent debit.

If the Knicks' PR people were smart, they'd hook up a charity to the Clyde TV On-Screen Money Meter, move the decimal point two places to the right for home games and donate the money. In other words, if Clyde's expansive implementation of his own terminology totals $4.50 in a game, MSG would then be on the line for $450 in donations for that night. Add that up and that's a lot of good that could be done in the name of awful basketball.

Clyde TV would dish. Clyde TV would swish. Clyde TV would bound. Clyde TV would astound.

It's either this or we actually pay attention to the game.

frazier-ii.jpg

Funniest Clyde moment for me was while he was on the radio back during the second Bulls championship run. While talking about Rodman he mentioned how 'he had a provocative spread in this month's playboy' then I guess realising how he just started talking about playboy he said how he doesn't read the magazine but there's nothing wrong with 'connoiseurs of the magazine.'

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
clyde has the be the smoothest talker ever! his phrases are legendary!!!! i quote them alot to opposition when i play!!

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Clyde is a good person. It would be cool if we all get a package of a group of 15 or more each ticket 35 dollars in sections 300. 4 games and the 4th game we meet Clyde, get an autograph, and a replica jersey.

This guy is cool, sometimes it seems like he is in a contest with Mike.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Clyde definitely deserves his props. He played great as a Knick, and he is a great commentator as well.I also like how he's stuck with the team through losing seasons, cause he could've quit, but he's still working for the Knicks organization.He also stuck with the team, after the Knicks could no longer win a championship, back when he played for the Knicks.Good post, metrocard.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
Metro,

That was great.

This is one of the fews times I feel fortunate to be old to enough to have watched "Clyde" and the Knicks win their championships. Those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.....

knicksin60

Starter
I've always wanted Clyde to coach the Knicks.I think he would have been the type of person who would have coached the Knicks to a championship.His kind of knowledge of the game should be a prerequisite for any person who's trying to get an NBA coaching job.

YanksKnicks86

Benchwarmer
I wish I could have seen him play, being 23 I missed the 70s. He is one of the only reasons in the last 3 or 4 seasons that I have enjoyed watching the knicks, his commentary is Legit and fun.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
this is by far the BEST thread posted on here in a while! that was classic, and i got a good laugh outta that one......props metro

and Frazier is the man!

petescud

Starter
I saw Clyde play many a game on TV. Never saw him at MSG as my dad was not a BB fan. When I grew up i still never went. Point is I seen him play and he and Dave BeBusshere were my favorites. Phil Jackson was not one of my favorites and quite frankly was spastic as hell. he actually made me laugh many a night.....Have many of you seen Clyde play back in the day (either TV or MSG?)

Big C

Benchwarmer
Walt is the best. Last game he said,"Harrington looks like the ball is dribbling him instead of Harrington dribbling the ball." lol

tiger0330

Legend
lol Funny thread Metro, very creative. Clyde looks great for 65, looks like he can still play, hope he's commentating well into his 80s.

He was one of a kind back in the day, with that mink fur coat, players hat, Rolls Royce, man of the people that was often seen chilling on 125th, 167th in the Bronx, Bed-Stuy.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
lol Funny thread Metro, very creative. Clyde looks great for 65, looks like he can still play, hope he's commentating well into his 80s.

He was one of a kind back in the day, with that mink fur coat, players hat, Rolls Royce, man of the people that was often seen chilling on 125th, 167th in the Bronx, Bed-Stuy.

Really?
I grew up on 176th.