New York Knicks vs Portland Trail Blazers Game Thread 2/1

Which Knick has been playing the best recently?

• David Lee

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Nate Robinson

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Jamal Crawford

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Zach Randolph

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Renaldo Balkman

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Jared Jeffries

• Eddy Curry

• Mardy Collins

• Total voters

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
The New York Knicks(14-31) vs The Portland Trail Blazers(26-19)
Fri. 2/1 at 10:30pm ET on MSG​

Welcome to the MSGKnickz33 Pregame show, Im your host Jazzy Jeff and were here to take a look at Friday nights matchup. The Blazers have won 4 out of their last 10 games. Their record is 26 and 19 but suprisingly they are only 9th in the Western Conference, not even in the playoffs. In the East they would be one of the best teams. The Knicks lost their 3rd straight game lasat night against the Utah Jazz. A poor 1st half and poor perimeter offense prevented the Knicks from ending a 2 game losing streak. They have now lost their first 3 of 5 games on this West coast trip.

STARTING LINEUPS

The Portland Trail Blazers

pg-Steve Blake
sg-Brandon Roy
sf-Martell Webster
pf-Lamarcus Aldridge
C-Joel Pryzbilla

AND NOW YOUR NEW YORK KNICKERBOCKERS!!!!

AT POINT GUARD JAMAL CRAWFORD
AT SHOOTING GUARD FRED JONES
AT SMALL FORWARD QUENTIN RICHARDSON
AT POWER FORWARD ZACH RANDOLPH
AT CENTER EDDY CURRY

*Quentin Richardson and Eddy Curry are both listed as day to day

MSG33 PresEnTs the KeY MatChuP: Lamarcus Aldridge vs Zach Randolph

Aldridge_270.jpg

t1_randolph.jpg

zbo.jpg

This was really my only option for the key matchup. At least statistically it should be an interesting matchup with the former teammates going head to head. Aldridge is not as good of a rebounder as Randolph but hes a better team player and defender. He doesnt have the jumpshot either but whats so good about having a good jumpshot when you shoot at the wrong times, against double teams and triple teams?

Zach Randolph Last 5 Games

39.2mpg
17.6ppg
47.2fg%
11.8rpg
2.8topg

Lamarcus Aldridge

30.2mpg
14.2ppg
45.3fg%
7.2rpg
.8topg

Z-Bo's been averaging 9 more minutes over the last 5 games. There stats would be closer if they were both getting the same amount of playing time except for the turnovers. Aldridge was often compared to Channing Frye when they first came into the league. Hes clearly the better player of the 2 now. Lamarcus doesnt do anything great or incredible but hes consistent and solid. Hes a starter, Frye is a role player. Zach Randolph is 2 inches shorter but hes heavier. He should be able to get good positioning down low but it is more likely that he will look to take 18 foot jumpshots.

The Official MSG33 Pregame Strategy:
  • Portland = 7th best team defensively (95.5pts allowed).....Move the Ball!!!
  • Perimeter Defense Needed!!!! Blazers=2nd best 3 point shooting (39%)
  • Play Physical Down Low!!!!!(no homo)......Blazers-28th rebounding (40.2rpg)
  • Find a way to contain Brandon Roy.....He is the player that makes this team go by doing a little bit of everything

Player Spotlight

spotlight_title.gif

*A special thanks goes to NYKnicks15 for the new smaller spotlight

David Lee deserves to have the spotlight

davidlee.jpg

Eddy Curry:"No Homo"

Recently I have neglected to mention David Lees excellent play. Hes a very consistent player and is always deserving of some praise. You dont see Lee having a good week then a bad week. Many Knicks fans feel like Lee should be getting more minutes. He could have his chance tomorrow night if Eddy Curry misses the game with the Flu.

David Lee Last 5 Games

29.2mpg
13.2ppg
9.6rpg
65.1fg%
.6blks

Lee's even showing he has some (not much) shot blocking ability. Compared to Randolph and curry .6 blocks isnt too bad. He is a better team player then both of them and he brings more energy and heart.

Eastern Conference Standings

1. Celtics(35-8)
  2. Pistons(32-13)-4GB
  3. Magic(29-18)-8GB
  4. Cavs(25-19)-10.5GB
  5. Raptors(25-20)11GB
  6. Wizards(24-20)11.5GB
  7. Hawks(18-24)16.5GB
  8. Nets(19-26)17GB
  9. Pacers(19-27)17.5GB
  10. Bulls(18-27)18GB
  11. 76ers(18-28)18.5GB
  12. Bobcats(18-28)18.5GB
  13. Bucks(18-29)19GB
  14. Knicks(14-31)22GB
  15. Heat(9-35)26.5GB

The Official Playoff Race: Knicks are 5 games out

Lets compare numbers from the first 3 months of the NBA season.

November(5-11):Opponents Points per game=101.5
93.1ppg,43.4rpg,17apg,42.9fg%,32.2%3P,70.2FT%,6.9spg,3.2bpg

December(3-11):Opponents Points per game=102.6
94.6ppg,41.3rpg,16.4apg,42.6fg%,33.1%3P,70.7FT%,6.7spg,1.5bpg

January(6-10):Opponents Points per game=98.8
96.4ppg,40.4rpg,21.3apg,46.1fg%,35.2%3P,74.4FT%,5.8spg,2.3bpg

The rebounds are down(-1.95) but the assists are up(+4.6). We are also playing better defense but the game against Detroit where the Pistons only scored 65 points brings down the average. Without that game the Knicks are allowing 101.1 points per game this month. What a difference that one game makes. I suprised myself with this stat. That rarely happens. It appears as if we are playing better defense but without that Detroit game were still a below average team defensively. 101.1 points allowed per game would be the 21st worst defense in the NBA.

Trail Blazers Top 3 Point shooters
  1. James Jones-50%
  2. Steve Blake-45%
  3. Travis Outlaw-44%
  4. Martell Webster-38.4%
  5. Brandon Roy-33.8%
  6. Jarret Jack-33.3%

Despite the Blazers not playing as well lately they are a tough young team that will continue to get better. Joel Pryzbilla is an underrated center who is capable of rebounding and blocking shots. In only 21 minutes of play he averages 7.1rbs and 1.2blks per game. Martell Webster is a solid all around player who does a good job of taking care of the ball and playing within a team system.

The Blazers also have an underrated bench. James Jones can come off the bench and put points on the board quickly. Hes the best 3 point shooter on the Blazers so the Knicks will have to do more then keep their eye on him. They need to be on his case like Columbo. (I like Columbo better then Sherlock Holmes) Jarret Jack is not really that good. He averages 2.2 turnovers in only 26 mintues of play. I thought he would be better then this. Travis Outlaw is clutch and he can shoot. He can be a potential Knick killer. Hes a very versatile player that does some of everything kind of like Darius Miles but better.

The Last player I want to talk about is the former Knick Channing Frye. I've been hard on him in the past (no homo) but I was partially right/partially wrong. After watching Portland more there are games where he comes in and makes an impact by working hard and playing within the team system. Theres other games where he looks soft and lost. Im still not a big Channing Frye fan, I just wish they used him in a better trade. He would prove to be valuable now with talks of a Ron Artest trade going on.

Throwback HipHop Video of the Day:

Artist:Big Pun feat. Prodigy & Inspectah Deck
Title:Tres Leches
Album:Capitol Punishment
Year:1998

That does it for my pregame show. I thank everyone for joining me and remember to tune in Friday night to catch the Knicks and the Blazers.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Good game thread, I feel like I am repeating myself.

I voted for David Lee on the poll by the way. He is like the only player that has hustle, and actually cares about winning.

The Knicks are going out of Portland with a win. I predict a 93-90 win for the Knicks. Z Bo will have a good game. I like your Key match up section good look.

I got a throwback for you. Its referred to gangen in Poland.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e88I1zGSSOA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e88I1zGSSOA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Trin_Starr

Starter
The blazers are a totally different team and a much, much better one at that.
After suffering a very close loss to the Cavs - I expect them to come out guns blazin' and I don't the knicks will have a chance - but atleast it's one step closer to getting a better pick in the draft

The only win of this west coast trip might come against Seattle.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac

I voted for David Lee on the poll by the way. He is like the only player that has hustle, and actually cares about winning.

The Knicks are going out of Portland with a win. I predict a 93-90 win for the Knicks. Z Bo will have a good game. I like your Key match up section good look.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e88I1zGSSOA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e88I1zGSSOA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Great throwback song. Their called gangen in Poland, Gangstarr in America, legends everywhere. DJ premier is one of the top 5 producers and guru is a great rapper.

I voted for Lee too. Hes always consistent and I wish Isiah would put him in the starting 5.

Pricey

Rotation player
I voted for Nate. Wasnt great against the Utah but the other games this month he has been fantastic.

Good game thread MSG as usual. I think Roy is the key, he plays well and the Blazers win. The kid has everything and i think he should be a All-Star this season, if he misses out he is unlucky

nyKnicks126

Yeah Nate, is the man that sould get the Knicks player of January award. But he has chilled down a bit. I remember when I once made game thread (crappy job) there were almost never this much feedback in general about the game. I guess people write more when they see a nice job done. I got a tip for you though, it would be nice if you put a picture of the arena. I remember Rady did that on Gamethreads. It would look crazy.

GOOO KNICKS!!!!!!

Pricey

Rotation player
Yeah Nate, is the man that sould get the Knicks player of January award. But he has chilled down a bit. I remember when I once made game thread (crappy job) there were almost never this much feedback in general about the game. I guess people write more when they see a nice job done. I got a tip for you though, it would be nice if you put a picture of the arena. I remember Rady did that on Gamethreads. It would look crazy.

GOOO KNICKS!!!!!!
i would have responded but only found this site this end of last year :)
yeah a pic of MSG would be sweet

nyKnicks126

Thanks I got like around 40-60 replies, sometimes 80 sometimes 20. But I didn't really put any effort into them. But since MSG is doin a good job I can learn from him, and if he ever tells me to make one I will, but as far as I know he is the man at Gamethreads (no homo) and should continue to make them.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac

GOOO KNICKS!!!!!!

Thats sumthin I thought about and its comin, its one of my future improvements I have planned but I just added 4 new things:

• Eastern Conference Standings
  • Knicks stats month by month
  • The spotlight
  • throwback rap video of the day

The format is always changing. Ive seen other game threads where they post a picture of the arena and I like that idea.

Thanks I got like around 40-60 replies, sometimes 80 sometimes 20. But I didn't really put any effort into them. But since MSG is doin a good job I can learn from him, and if he ever tells me to make one I will, but as far as I know he is the man at Gamethreads (no homo) and should continue to make them.

On days like yesterday where we got back to back games and I work its tough for me to make them. I didnt have yesterdays up until 5:30 or 6. Luckily the game was at 9 but on days like that you can have the job. I'll let you know in advance or I'll try to but I forget things.

Yo msg I may think that some of your opinions on guys like Marbury are insane but I gotta hand it to ya your game threads are terrific. Good job by you pointing out that if you take out the pistons game the knicks are pretty much playing the same horrible defense that they've been playing all season long.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I credit the Knicks for playing hard this entire month.They've tried to play well offensively, but it's their defense that continues to be horrible.The top three current worst defenders on the Knicks are:#3 Jamal Crawford,#2 Zach Randolph,and #1 Eddy Curry.The Knicks shouldn't change a thing they've been doing.The way that they've played, even in this 3 game losing streak, is ironically what got them their 3 game winning streak, earlier this month.These Knicks have no defense,and you can tell from MSG's stats.They just need to keep playing hard on offense,and pray to god that they can overcome being dunked on by PG's,like Deron Williams and Baron Davis.This losing streak tells you why the Knicks shouldn't lose games on purpose,cause they'll still finish well under .500 and with a top 10 lottery pick,if they play hard,so why not?

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Yo msg I may think that some of your opinions on guys like Marbury are insane but I gotta hand it to ya your game threads are terrific. Good job by you pointing out that if you take out the pistons game the knicks are pretty much playing the same horrible defense that they've been playing all season long.

thanx man but how can you think my opinions are insane? There all backed up by stats. If starbury arguements have lasted as long as they have their must be some validity to both perspectives. I dont have problems with people disagreein (im sure it doesnt seem this way) but I think people should at least see that my point of view is a reasonable way to think.

I would say team Starbury won the battle. We laid down more facts and it wasnt all stats, their was alot of detailed analysis mixed in. If you go through all the Marbury battle threads theres alot of knowledge dropped:

MSG33
Metro
ABCD
Pricey
goknicksDLee42
and others

I know alot of shit was repeated by all of us but I think team starbury dropped more stats and facts. Team-Starbury-haters had a couple of good points but the only one I really value is Marbury not being a vocal leader off the court in the locker room. I feel like hes a leader on the court. He didnt get alot of consecutive playin time this year because of circumstances mentioned over and over again but he had some good games, how about that Chicago game where he dished to Lee for the dunk and then hit a 3 to seal the deal? I shouldnt be startin up with this again, the Starbury battles are played out for now. If a Starbury battle comes dont expect to see me stay out of it but I would like to avoid one. Im not doin a good job.

Pricey

Rotation player
u cant help it MSG lol. Its in the past now anyways. Utah game yesters backed us up.

Anyways Balkman is back for this game, can u see him getting some decent match time especially if Curry is out with the flu

Pricey

Rotation player
thanx man but how can you think my opinions are insane? There all backed up by stats. If starbury arguements have lasted as long as they have their must be some validity to both perspectives. I dont have problems with people disagreein (im sure it doesnt seem this way) but I think people should at least see that my point of view is a reasonable way to think.

I would say team Starbury won the battle. We laid down more facts and it wasnt all stats, their was alot of detailed analysis mixed in. If you go through all the Marbury battle threads theres alot of knowledge dropped:

MSG33
Metro
ABCD
Pricey
goknicksDLee42
and others

I know alot of shit was repeated by all of us but I think team starbury dropped more stats and facts. Team-Starbury-haters had a couple of good points but the only one I really value is Marbury not being a vocal leader off the court in the locker room. I feel like hes a leader on the court. He didnt get alot of consecutive playin time this year because of circumstances mentioned over and over again but he had some good games, how about that Chicago game where he dished to Lee for the dunk and then hit a 3 to seal the deal? I shouldnt be startin up with this again, the Starbury battles are played out for now. If a Starbury battle comes dont expect to see me stay out of it but I would like to avoid one. Im not doin a good job.

Dont want to get into the whole thing but you guys leave out the most important stat, wins. For whatever reason, Marbury throughout his career, has not been a winning player.

It's always been amazing to me how many of Stephon's own teammates hate him. From KG to Shawn Marion to Kurt Thomas the list could go on and on. I can't think of another star player (maybe kobe a little) in any sport who has had as many teammates come out and say how they don't like the guy. I wonder what he does that pisses everybody off so much? He doesn't seem like a bad guy at all. Someday when his career is over we'll find out. I mean think about it Iverson is in many ways a better version of Marbury and his teammates in Philly loved A.I.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Dont want to get into the whole thing but you guys leave out the most important stat, wins. For whatever reason, Marbury throughout his career, has not been a winning player.

It's always been amazing to me how many of Stephon's own teammates hate him. From KG to Shawn Marion to Kurt Thomas the list could go on and on. I can't think of another star player (maybe kobe a little) in any sport who has had as many teammates come out and say how they don't like the guy. I wonder what he does that pisses everybody off so much? He doesn't seem like a bad guy at all. Someday when his career is over we'll find out. I mean think about it Iverson is in many ways a better version of Marbury and his teammates in Philly loved A.I.

All of this stuff has been addressed but I guess it depends on what perspective someone wants to take. Im lookin at things a step farther when it comes to Marbury not winning....instead of listing these reasons for the 100th time Im just gonna say he got bad luck.

metrocard

Legend
MSG spits the facts, mostly everything he says isn't opinionated, if it is; its backed up with the facts.

Capital Punishment is in my opinion the greatest album of all time.

I've seen it all up close, shit without the movies you'd be buggin
My cousin Juju, barely a juve' lost it and turned on the oven
He wasn't playin, blew out the flame and started inhalin
Baring a secret too deep to keep on the streets for sharin

Get off your high horse, or die off like an extinction
Borikens are like Mohicans, The Last of the Poor Ricans

wooooow

Terror Squad was the most talented/underrated rap group of all time.

got the sweetest heist, million in cash, another 3 in ice
Who can I trust?Cuban'll bust plus ?good thief the night?
Here's the plan (plan), we nab the man, bring a camcorder
Grab his fam, and run the train on his granddaughter
Nah chill, that's too ill, for real I'd rather kill somethin
Here's the deal, we shatter his grill, and drill fuck him
Oral torture, no doubt, the shit is holocaust
In two minutes tops he's guaranteed to cap and give up all the morsels
It's settled, blitt up, put on your metal, foot on the pedal
We got a half hour before the plan sours like Amaretto
Far from the ghetto, a rebel of chance, the devil in pants
Out for the fast cash, level advance
Takin a chance, I've only got one my hundred shot
tommy shotguns my judge jury and Johnny Cochran

Most gangsta song ever.

Pancakes is an idiot; Marbury took 3 of his NBA teams to the playoffs. Not everyone can win a championship or even first round, look at T-Mac, it doesn't mean they suck, they're still good, just not the best. Marbury definitely isn't a loser like Crawford or Curry who have no history in the playoffs.

Glad to see Joe Johnson get in there he deserves it. And a little off topic but can anybody tell me why new orleans is considered a west team?

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e88I1zGSSOA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
Gangstarr <3 lolz....that song reminds me of the big picture intro...kool kool song...and y is Zach ALWAYS our key matchup? oo wellz
well anyways if yall get the chance check out the group Cyne

the pics dont make sense but eh w.e