Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shaq to the Suns?

Say what you want about the Suns, but they just became one of the most interesting teams to watch now.

I know I'll tune in to their next few games

Veteran

Originally Posted by jeckomaru
    I mean some of us thought getting zach for francis was going to be a good thing for knicks.
    i gotta raise my hand and say 'that be me'... boy was i wrong... did zach at least bring some of that good west coast 'kush'???

Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar

February 6th 2008. 5:51 eastern time the TRADE IS OFFICIAL Marcus Banks, and Shawn Marion are traded to the Miami Heat for Shaquille O'Neal. Shaqs new team Phoenix

wow this trade makes no SENSE! they were just desperate because of what Lakers did wit gasol...WOW! well there goes Phoenix season....

Panic trade by the suns. If they were smart they should have traded Marion at the start of the season for a Jefferson or someone that they could use.
    They knew Marion wanted out for a long time and made the worst trade possible.

Veteran

i got start off by saying i think that wide-load curry sux's big time

b u t ...

almost as big as shaq, 10 years younger, probably at this stage as good on "O" as shaq, probably a tad worse on "D" (maybe not), a contract that while it run s longer is 1/2 of shaq's, both waddle down the court at a similar pace...

why not trade for wide-load???

i do not get this trade.... i am confused...

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by New New York
    I agree with you mostly in that Lakers and Celtics are front runners, but the Celtics still have to get past Detroit. And out West it's all about who you match up against. Case in point, Dallas maybe makes the Finals if they don't run into Golden State last year. Denver and Golden State could be some number one or two seed first round match up. This is going to be a very fun playoffs to watch
    Detroit doesn't scare anyone, they couldn't even beat Cleveland in a series.

Dallas is only a regular season team, they have no stability and their starters have been injury prone.

New Orleans are better than Golden State, Denver, Dallas and Detroit. Don't underestimate the best guard in the NBA, Chris Paul.

Back to this trade, here is my input.

It seems like an Isiah-like move what Kerr did, but we need to look deeper.

If Shaq does get back in Shaq and gets back to his serious work ethic, its a good deal for Phoneix. Phoneix doesn't play much defense, so it shouldn't a problem for O'Neil. Phoneix obviously went from a small team to a giant team

Nash at 6"3
    Bell at 6"5
    Hill at 6"8
    Amare at 6"10
    Shaq at 7"1

Shaq's court awareness and passing skills aren't diminished. Nash, Hill, and Shaq are really some of the best passers at their positions, them playing together makes Phoneix's half court offense the best in the NBA, behind the Lakers. If Phoneix wants to speed up the tempo, you'll sub in Diaw and Barbosa, not a problem.

People are bitching about this trade because Shaq isn't the 28 ppg 12 rebound guy anymore, but he still can be very serviceable with his skills, veteran leadership and the respect he gets on the court with his size and power.

If Shaq develops a 3pt shot out of no where, Phoneix will average 130 ppg, literally.

For Miami, its not a bad deal. All they need now is Beasley at PF and sign a defensive minded center and try to grab a PG, and they'll have a pretty legit team.

Drafted PG
    Wade
    Marion
    Beasley
    Center

Not bad.

Understandable deal for both team.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Detroit doesn't scare anyone, they couldn't even beat Cleveland in a series.

Dallas is only a regular season team, they have no stability and their starters have been injury prone.

New Orleans are better than Golden State, Denver, Dallas and Detroit. Don't underestimate the best guard in the NBA, Chris Paul.

Back to this trade, here is my input.

It seems like an Isiah-like move what Kerr did, but we need to look deeper.

If Shaq does get back in Shaq and gets back to his serious work ethic, its a good deal for Phoneix. Phoneix doesn't play much defense, so it shouldn't a problem for O'Neil. Phoneix obviously went from a small team to a giant team

Nash at 6"3
    Bell at 6"5
    Hill at 6"8
    Amare at 6"10
    Shaq at 7"1

Shaq's court awareness and passing skills aren't diminished. Nash, Hill, and Shaq are really some of the best passers at their positions, them playing together makes Phoneix's half court offense the best in the NBA, behind the Lakers. If Phoneix wants to speed up the tempo, you'll sub in Diaw and Barbosa, not a problem.

People are bitching about this trade because Shaq isn't the 28 ppg 12 rebound guy anymore, but he still can be very serviceable with his skills, veteran leadership and the respect he gets on the court with his size and power.

If Shaq develops a 3pt shot out of no where, Phoneix will average 130 ppg, literally.

For Miami, its not a bad deal. All they need now is Beasley at PF and sign a defensive minded center and try to grab a PG, and they'll have a pretty legit team.

Drafted PG
    Wade
    Marion
    Beasley
    Center

Not bad.

Understandable deal for both team.
    You made some strong points. Shaq can pass and he has had some good games this year. The problem I see with the deal is the fast tempo of the Suns. I cant see Shaq gettin up and down the court quick enough but like you said they dont play defense. I think it was a good deal for the Heat but a risk for the Suns. It could end up workin out for them.

You also mentioned Hill, Nash, and Shaq being good passers which will make them dangerous in the halfcourt game. They usually dont play much half court (especially during the season) but they will now and I think they will be good at it. Pheonix has alot of versatilty. They need to do what works against their opponents and Shaqs minutes should be based on that.

If their playing a team where the halfcourt game favors them then Shaq should get more minutes. If they play a team where the fast pace favors them then thats what they need to do. In the playoffs the Suns seem to play more halfcourt which will be good for Shaq.

Shawn Marion has been a big part of this team. Some analysts have argued that hes been the most consistent player on the Suns over the last couple of years. The matrix so far this season is averaging about 16pts(52.6fg%), 10rbs, and 1.5blks. Boris Diaw will benefit the most from this trade. He will get minutes as a pf and a sf.

I still think Miami wins the deal but I shouldnt be so quick to doubt the Suns. If Shaq can get himself into better shape and the Suns slow it down it can work. Only time will tell how this trade works for the Suns. If no one makes a poll question about this trade, there will be one on my next game thread.

I have mixed feelings about this trade, it is a high risk, high reward trade. If it works as good as it could, then size them up for those rings. If it works then they have as good a starting 5 as the Celtics and Lakers, with a better bench. But we'll have to wait and see how is pans out, but to cosighn what someone said before, they just became a bit more interesting to watch!

Shaq wont stay fit and Suns lose Marion. After seeing the suns game against the Hornets, they were missing sme defensive pressure. Stoudamire got 20 odd rebs but dont let that fool you. Zach gets 16 rebs and we all know he doesnt play defence.
    Miami r def the big winners in this deal.

I think this isnt as bad as everyone sees it.

Shaq is old but he once was one of the greatest players to play this game. He is a great defender and still has great timing.

The suns have many players who can score 20 + points a game (nash, stouds, hill, barbosa,) they need someone who can get blocks and stop the damage from big pfs in the playoffs which has cost them.

In terms of player calibre they have lost.

But Phoenix have done well and have put them selves in a position to take it all.

Originally Posted by theknicks3
    I think this isnt as bad as everyone sees it.

Shaq is old but he once was one of the greatest players to play this game. He is a great defender and still has great timing.

The suns have many players who can score 20 + points a game (nash, stouds, hill, barbosa,) they need someone who can get blocks and stop the damage from big pfs in the playoffs which has cost them.

In terms of player calibre they have lost.

But Phoenix have done well and have put them selves in a position to take it all.
    he was a great defender and had great timing but his body is failing him and he is giving away simple fouls and it results in him being on the bench.
    Just because you are one of the greatest players shouldnt mean that you are good enough for any trade, Marion right now is a better player.
    The thing is they are saying it releases Stoudamire off the centres but the thing is he is going to get arse raped by the PFs like Gasol, Boozer and Dirk cause he isnt a good defender.
    How slow is the suns offense going to be now with Shaq lumbering up and down the court? He isnt the same player.
    I have no issue with Phoenix for trading Marion cause it was coming a long time but during this time they could have easily got a different player for him who will be younger, fitter and more suited to the suns style.

Also Shaqs contract is MASSIVE, what were they thinking.

Worst. Trade. Ever. lol. Well, maybe the Curry trade was worse. Are the Suns going to completely change their style of play now? The style they've been playing for 4 years and the style that Dantoni is convinced will win a championship.

The reason the Suns got rid of Kurt Thomas was so they could stay under the salary cap, but now they've taken on more salary for a player that doesn't fit into their system as well as Kurt Thomas.

Are they going to run pick and rolls with Shaq or are they going to now completely change and become a post-up/inside-outside team? What about the run-and-gun offense? How will that work with an injured and old 330 pound man?

This is like an Isiah trade. Just get whatever you can, regardless of the system played and matching of talents.
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; Feb 07, 2008 at 10:10.

The trade seems bad on paper on so many levels for Phoenix but they were other factors at play here.

Marrion wanted out of Phoenix all along, and eveyone knew he wouldn't have re-signed with the Suns. Maybe they could have shopped him around more, but Marrion was a goner before the season even began. So ofcourse they delt him

Veteran

Originally Posted by Starks
    Marrion wanted out of Phoenix all along, and eveyone knew he wouldn't have re-signed with the Suns. Maybe they could have shopped him around more, but Marrion was a goner before the season even began. So ofcourse they delt him

the above makes no sense.. if he was not going to re-sign with the suns, they would have lost him, but would have saved 18m next year. trading him means they now have shaq for next year at 20m + an add. year at 20m.

i would have thought they would have been better off to let him walk...