5 MOST OVERRATED KNICKS OF ALL TIME: You gotta bost

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well we have no Knick in the All Star game! None in the Rookie Game, Shootout, or Dunk so this Knick fan has decided to pick on some Knick "Greats". This one is bound to ruffle some Feathers! Let the Games Begin

Side Note: This is all in good fun, so chill with the insults. in other words, lets call each other morans in a civilized manner!

5. Jamal Crawford: For sure will be someone's Number one, and if this was based on this season alone, I would agree (yes I did give him a B as a Grade for mid year, but I was caught up in our win streak) but there are four others that have been hyped up a little more than him (in my opinion).

4. Renaldo Balkman: Now that I have your attention.....allow me to explain. I know this is rough considering this kid is only in his second year and has much time to improve. I know he's an "energy player" and his value cant be measured by numbers....but his value can be measured by facts! Lets face the facts, he does have a Rodman type game (at times), but doesnt have Rodman type size.He is sized like a SF, but isnt a SF. He is a defender who can at time give scorers some trouble Melo, Durant (if Summer League counts), but isnt a lock down defender. He is a liability on offense, he can be explosive or out of control (just like number 5). Ok so why rank him higher this list than Jamal? Because fans know Crawfords limitations, and are quick to point them out, but not much is said about Renaldo's shortcomings.

Allow me to say this about Renaldo, I like him very much, this is not about liking or disliking. really this was hard to write, but this is what I think.

3. Eddy Curry: A Franchise with two of the Games 50 Greatest Players in Patrick Ewing, and Willis Reed was fooled into beleiving this guy could be as great. Both of the two Greats averaged double digits rebounding, and blocked more than 1 per game (no telling how many willis actually blocked because no stats were kept on blocks back then, however in his final year it was tracked that he blocked about 1.3) So with true legends before him, how was this guy dubbed the next great Knick Center with his averages?

2. Glen Rice: This is based soley on Knick fans embracing the trade for Ewing initially. I was in MSG the night he got up to scorers table against the Sixers to play his first Knick minutes (he wasnt even a full time starter). Jeff Van Gundy said that he was the reason the Lakers weren't as good defensively the year after their first Championship with Shaq and Kobe, ofcourse they would go on to win two more in a row without Glen. But again this is based on Him being the return chip for the All Time Greatest Knick

1. Spree: And you thought I was done pissing you off with the Balkman! Ok Spree was an All Star, and we don't make the Finals in 1999 without him. But was I the only person to notice he only had one hand? While not as bad a Crawford, Spree would take some very bad shots as well. Lets not forget too, that he was one of the more vocal players about how much better the Knicks would be without Patrick Ewing. Considered a great defender but got lit up by Vince Carter our last real year in the playoffs, and Allan Houston and Jamal Crawford would burn him in matchups against the Knicks after he was traded. He is one of the most popular Knicks of All Time, but to me it was more for his image, because skill wise he left much to be desired.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Strongly disagree with SPree being the most overrated.. dont know what you guys are watchin. The rest I agree too. Balkman isn't overrated he is under played, and under appreciated..

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
5- Latrell Sprewell(very good sg that got more credit than he deserved, just because he could get to the highlight reel. There are video games from the 90s that give Sprewell the best stats for the Knicks. Meanwhile, Patrick Ewing was obviously the best player on the team and Allan Houston was more consistent than Sprewell)

4- Eddy Curry( a good low post scorer that gets a free pass for not having defense or rebounding ability because he scores down low-most people don't think Curry is the next best thing now, but last year there was so many people acting like he was gonna be the next Shaq)

3- Marcus Camby(Was a very good defender and rebounder, but many people thought he was going to take Patrick Ewing's place.His injuries on the Knicks- missed 100 games in 4 years with knicks, and the first round playoff loss to the Raptors in 2001 proved otherwise)

2- Jared Jeffries(the Washington Wizards acted like if Jeffries was all that cause of his defense, so the idiot Isiah gave him a 30 million dollar contract. When he first came to the team, he was put in the starting lineup, but once Isiah found out Jeffries' ancient chinese secret-he has no offensive ability- he was benched for Quentin Richardson).

1- Jamal Crawford (Lots of people assume because he can hit buzzer beaters and gamewinners and he's averaging 20 ppg that he's a basketball god. What people fail to mention is that he has shot below 40% from the field on
3 different seasons, he has absolutely no defense , and he doesn't know when to settle for jumpers and when to drive to the basket, hence his 17 fg attempts per game and just 4.5 freethrows per game.He also has a long history of attempting over 2x as many 3's as freethrows. He even had 1 season in chicago where he attempted 3x as many 3's as free throws).

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Strongly disagree with SPree being the most overrated.. dont know what you guys are watchin. The rest I agree too. Balkman isn't overrated he is under played, and under appreciated..
Overrated doesn't mean the person sucks. I understand what New York is saying. He's saying he got more credit than he deserved, which is true in some cases. Every person I put on my list is a good player, except Jeffries. The list is just for the people that got treated better than they deserved, or that got treated better than players that were better than them.But I agree. Sprewell doesn't deserve to be most overrated, when you got Curry and Crawford on the Knicks.

metrocard

Legend
We're not really contributing to the forum by replying to the worst thread of all time.

Ignore this ignorance!!!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
We're not really contributing to the forum by replying to the worst thread of all time.

Ignore this ignorance!!!
Damn, that was cold! lol I thought this thread was good, cause you get to put Jamal Crawford and Curry on blast for being given the royal treatment, despite being one dimensional. I like your post, though. It's funny. I wish I would've came up with that. lol

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Well we have no Knick in the All Star game! None in the Rookie Game, Shootout, or Dunk so this Knick fan has decided to pick on some Knick "Greats". This one is bound to ruffle some Feathers! Let the Games Begin

Side Note: This is all in good fun, so chill with the insults. in other words, lets call each other morans in a civilized manner!

4. Renaldo Balkman: Now that I have your attention.....allow me to explain. I know this is rough considering this kid is only in his second year and has much time to improve. I know he's an "energy player" and his value cant be measured by numbers....but his value can be measured by facts! Lets face the facts, he does have a Rodman type game (at times), but doesnt have Rodman type size.He is sized like a SF, but isnt a SF. He is a defender who can at time give scorers some trouble Melo, Durant (if Summer League counts), but isnt a lock down defender. He is a liability on offense, he can be explosive or out of control (just like number 5). Ok so why rank him higher this list than Jamal? Because fans know Crawfords limitations, and are quick to point them out, but not much is said about Renaldo's shortcomings.

quote]
I like your thread, but my question to you is: Why is Renaldo Balkman on the list? He's a good defender, he plays with heart, he provides energy, and he does deserve to start. No offense to Quentin Richardson and Jeffries(they both used to be decent players) but they haven't sone sh*t this year. I'd take Balkman over them any day, unless we can go on a time machine and get Quentin Richardson from the Clippers, where he averaged 17 ppg and 6 rebounds.

New New York

Quiet Storm

Ignore this ignorance!!!

LOL! So does that you mean you disagree? Look man thats how I feel. I don't think Carlos Arroyo is the most underated player in the league, but I wouldnt call you ignorant for your opinion. Like I said it's all in good fun. If we all agreed on everything then this forum would be boring as hell!

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i know i'll get killed for this one but i think the most overrated allan houston is the most overrated knick player of all time, dont get me wrong, he was a solid player, but that shot against miami put em in a lot of knick fans best knick of all time, its funny though, the same ppl on this message board who knock current players for the lack of defense they play are the same ppl that say allan houston is a great player, lol, dats why what ya say dont phase me

New New York

Quiet Storm
i know i'll get killed for this one but i think the most overrated allan houston is the most overrated knick player of all time, dont get me wrong, he was a solid player, but that shot against miami put em in a lot of knick fans best knick of all time, its funny though, the same ppl on this message board who knock current players for the lack of defense they play are the same ppl that say allan houston is a great player, lol, dats why what ya say dont phase me

You know what I thought long about putting him on the list, but I think he did fall out of favor with Knick fans after all his injuries. But I do see where you are coming from on that.

nyKnicks126

3- Marcus Camby(Was a very good defender and rebounder, but many people thought he was going to take Patrick Ewing's place.His injuries on the Knicks- missed 100 games in 4 years with knicks, and the first round playoff loss to the Raptors in 2001 proved otherwise)

You really startin to piss me off. Get the f#CK out of here, You hatin on all these players that dont deserve it, you are definately the worst poster out next to GetRealistic on this forum...So you are tellin us you rather have Antonio Mcdyess, and Scrubs instead of a defensemen Marcus Camby since you are sayin he is SO overrated.. abcd you definatey the most unfair "fan" if I can even call you that I have ever seen, you definately dont know what you are talking about. You hatin on Spree, Camby, and Childs. Well I think you should reconsider and look for a different team to rout for. Go to Boston, maybe they might like your intellegent posts.
abcd- dumba$$ of the year award. Congratulations!

Starks

Starter
I think you really have to define what you mean by overrated.

Some players like Jeffries are straight trash, but they are not promoted or "sold" to us. "Sold" meaning Knick promos on websites & commercials, the management talking so highly of them, etc.

I think with that in mind, the Knicks currently spend too much time boasting Nate Robinson and David Lee. They are everywhere with this team in terms of commercials and promotions. Do they deserve such attention? Every team needs 1 or 2 guys to be the face of the team, so I guess they are all Knicks have.

I do think they are a bit over rated though. Nate looks good on this team many times, but if he were traded to another team, I think its a safe bet he would spend a lot of time on the bench. As for Lee, he is a great role player- but there is no way in hell he is the mega bucks franchise star some people make him out to be. (I remember when the Kobe trade talks were happening, and some people were like "If Lee is part of deal- No Way")

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think you really have to define what you mean by overrated.

Some players like Jeffries are straight trash, but they are not promoted or "sold" to us. "Sold" meaning Knick promos on websites & commercials, the management talking so highly of them, etc.

I think with that in mind, the Knicks currently spend too much time boasting Nate Robinson and David Lee. They are everywhere with this team in terms of commercials and promotions. Do they deserve such attention? Every team needs 1 or 2 guys to be the face of the team, so I guess they are all Knicks have.

I do think they are a bit over rated though. Nate looks good on this team many times, but if he were traded to another team, I think its a safe bet he would spend a lot of time on the bench. As for Lee, he is a great role player- but there is no way in hell he is the mega bucks franchise star some people make him out to be. (I remember when the Kobe trade talks were happening, and some people were like "If Lee is part of deal- No Way")

c/s your entire post.

As for the ABCD vs NYKnicks126, im cool wit both of you so im stayin out of it, but as for Chris Childs I liked him and always thought he was a key part to our success in the late 90's. Statistically he was garbage but he played within the team system and was a good role player. The same thing goes for Charlie Ward, his stats were bad but he was a real good defender/team player. I do disagree with ABCD but its cool, most of the time I agree with him and as Starks pointed out the word "overrated" can be interpreted different ways.

5. Allan Houston - I hate to put him on this list, its not his fault. The reason why hes on here is because of Scott Layden. Houston was a great player offensively, I use to criticize his defense but now Crawford makes Houston look like a great defender. I realize now I shouldve enjoyed Houston and those Knicks more instead of complainin about how Spree would be better at the 2-guard spot. I use to hope Houston would get traded even though I always liked him. This is my biggest regret as a Knicks fan, the teams from 99 to when Isiah took over didnt look good on paper but they really overachieved. I wish i could go back and enjoy watchin those Knicks, this group now is a bunch of homo-clowns.

4. David Lee - Another player who I wish i didnt have to put on my list but some Knicks fans talk to highly of him. I think hes good enough to start but I dont think hes a future all-star. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes more of a threat offensively, hes been lookin better (no homo) on offense but still has a ways to go. Lee's a hard working player, has a great work ethic and could end up suprising me.

3. Glen Rice - We gave up Patrick Ewing for this bum. I think he had a couple of good games but the big 3 (H20, Spree, and Rice) didnt work out.

2. Eddy Curry - Franchise player? Dont think so

1. Jamal Crawford - See the official Crawford sucks thread. His defense is non-existant, his shooting percentages are terrible. Everytime I run into a fan and they say Crawford is the best player on this team I want to murk them. Thats a f*ckin joke. That stupid member on here who cant spell likes crawford for whatever reason, whats his name again, is it Bugs Bunny or cartoons, sumthin like that. Crawfords stats show that he shoots more 3 pointers then free throws which makes him a Pussy. Go to the rim, draw the foul. I even heard knicks fans say if we had a better record Crawford would be an all-star.:barf:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
You really startin to piss me off. Get the f#CK out of here, You hatin on all these players that dont deserve it, you are definately the worst poster out next to GetRealistic on this forum...So you are tellin us you rather have Antonio Mcdyess, and Scrubs instead of a defensemen Marcus Camby since you are sayin he is SO overrated.. abcd you definatey the most unfair "fan" if I can even call you that I have ever seen, you definately dont know what you are talking about. You hatin on Spree, Camby, and Childs. Well I think you should reconsider and look for a different team to rout for. Go to Boston, maybe they might like your intellegent posts.
abcd- dumba$$ of the year award. Congratulations!
So you telling me that someone who missed 100 games and was thought to be the replacement for Patrick Ewing is not overrated? I think it's you that needs to get the f*ck outta here. Stop confusing what Camby's done on the Nuggets with what he did on the Knicks. Everyone knows he's a trillion x better now than he was in New York. So get off Camby's nuts.
By the way- I don't know what you talking about me being the worst poster. I got 14 people that gave me rep points, so it's obvious that people don't agree with you. Just because a player is overrated doesn't mean they suck. If you read my post CAREFULLY, I said that Camby was a good defender and rebounder. But because you don't know what overrated means, that's why you got Camny's nuts in your mouth.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
So you telling me that someone who missed 100 games and was thought to be the replacement for Patrick Ewing is not overrated? I think it's you that needs to get the f*ck outta here. Stop confusing what Camby's done on the Nuggets with what he did on the Knicks. Everyone knows he's a trillion x better now than he was in New York. So get off Camby's nuts.

Camby was one of my favorites when he was a Knick but that dont mean I have to be biased, he was injured all the time and even his first couple of years with denver. He helped us reach the 99 finals when Ewing got hurt so I can see where both of you are comin from on this one.

For the record, my vote goes to bugs bunny for dumbass poster of the year, dude cant even spell and he came out of the closet the other day.

nyKnicks126

By the way- I don't know what you talking about me being the worst poster. I got 14 people that gave me rep points, so it's obvious that people don't agree with you. Just because a player is overrated doesn't mean they suck. If you read my post CAREFULLY, I said that Camby was a good defender and rebounder. But because you don't know what overrated means, that's why you got Camny's nuts in your mouth.

lol. thats it? wow this is a walk away win thats all you got to say? Thanks to Camby in the 98-99 playoffs we reached the 99 finals 10 ppg, 7.7 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks a game, you call that OVER F#ckin rated. Actually I think Camby would have improved as much as he has in Denver, in New York. I aint on Cambys nuts, but you are a anti-knick for hatin on one of the best times in team history. You forgot about 1999? You better not insult me like that, cause thats your fantasy if you thinkin like that. So you saying that if one is injuried then you automatically overrated. Please save your stupid thoughts to yourself cause you aint speakin the truth for hatin on Camby, he would have bitch slapped you if he would read your posts. Injuries are injuries you got to stay off the court if you injuried.

Amare Stoudemire... Injuried whole season, one of the better Centers in the NBA.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
lol. thats it? wow this is a walk away win thats all you got to say? Thanks to Camby in the 98-99 playoffs we reached the 99 finals 10 ppg, 7.7 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks a game, you call that OVER F#ckin rated. Actually I think Camby would have improved as much as he has in Denver, in New York. I aint on Cambys nuts, but you are a anti-knick for hatin on one of the best times in team history. You forgot about 1999? You better not insult me like that, cause thats your fantasy if you thinkin like that. So you saying that if one is injuried then you automatically overrated. Please save your stupid thoughts to yourself cause you aint speakin the truth for hatin on Camby, he would have bitch slapped you if he would read your posts. Injuries are injuries you got to stay off the court if you injuried.

Amare Stoudemire... Injuried whole season, one of the better Centers in the NBA.
That's it. Now I gotta show you some stats, so you could stop talking all this nonsense. Marcus Camby: Career stats 10 points, 9 rebounds, 2.6 blocks.Patrick Ewing 21 points, 9.8 rebounds, 2.45 blocks, 50 greatest player.
People saying Camby is going to replace Ewing, despite the HUGE gap in stats and achievements. That was my point. I never said Camby sucks. You just overreacted when I wrote my post. Plus, Camby was overrated, whether you like it or not. He missed 100 games as a Knick, and he averaged 7 ppg on his first year with the Knicks.And as far as the 1998-1999 season is concerned, the main reason they made the finals was cause of everyone else other than Camby: Patrick Ewing, Allan Houston, Sprewell, and Larry Johnson played better than him for most of the playoffs.And who said I'm a hater? I actually said Camby should've been an all star for the all star thread from Metrocard:

I think the guys that made the Rookie Sophomore game are deserving. I wish Renaldo Balkman and Wilson Chandler could've made it, but with the 70 million dollar combined Contracts of Quentin Richardson(40 million) and Jared Jeffries(30 million), it was virtually impossible for them to make the team.Hopefully Chandler can get some playing time next year, and maybe he could make it in as a Sophomore.As far as the All Star game is concerned, it was a popularity contest, as usual. People that deserved a spot didn't get one, cause idiots put guys like "Pierced Pussy" and "Jason Kidd" on the team.No offense, but why would you put Pierced Pussy and Jason Kidd on the All Star team, if they made it about a trillion times? Why not let guys like Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Raymond Felton Marcus Camby,Jose Calderon or Richard Jefferson get in?This is further proof that there needs to be 15 all stars, instead of 12.

There you go. Get your facts straight before you start callin people a hater, cause if anything you the hater.
<!-- / message -->

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
the word overrated has caused alot of controversy, I think Camby plus the whole Knicks team helped us make the finals that year. This is from NBA.com:

"1999: Over the 20 post-season games (three starts), averaged 10.4 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.90 bpg, 1.20 spg and shot .566 over 25.5 mpg ? Finished fourth in FG pct. (.566) and 18th in rebounding (7.7) on NBA Playoff leader board ? Led Knicks in rebounds nine times (five times vs. Indiana) ? Had three 20+ scoring games, seven double-figure rebound games and five double-doubles ? Main cog in four-game sweep of Hawks, with 9.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg and 15-27 FGA (.556) ? Team-high 13 rebounds with 11 points in Game 2 ? Averaged 14.3 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 3.00 bpg, 2.17 spg and shot .577 (30-52 FGA) over 31.3 mpg in East Finals ? Had two, 21-point games (Games 3 and 5) and three double-doubles vs. Pacers ? Led Knicks in rebounds in five of the six games ? Established Knicks Playoff records for steals (13) and blocks (18) in a six-game series ? Averaged 9.6 ppg and 7.8 rpg in five games (three starts) vs. Spurs ? Started the last three games of the NBA Finals vs. Spurs, his first starts as a Knick ? As a starter, averaged 10.7 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.00 bpg and shot 13-25 FGA (.520) over 26.7 mpg."

I disagree that Camby was not a factor during our playoff run but I agree that he wasnt close to what Ewing was and that he missed alot of games. The following goes without saying, I wish we couldve kept him. Even if he missed an average of 20-25 games a year i wouldnt give a f*ck, hes 10 times better then Curry will ever be.

New New York

Quiet Storm
c/s your entire post.

As for the ABCD vs NYKnicks126, im cool wit both of you so im stayin out of it, but as for Chris Childs I liked him and always thought he was a key part to our success in the late 90's. Statistically he was garbage but he played within the team system and was a good role player. The same thing goes for Charlie Ward, his stats were bad but he was a real good defender/team player. I do disagree with ABCD but its cool, most of the time I agree with him and as Starks pointed out the word "overrated" can be interpreted different ways.

5. Allan Houston - I hate to put him on this list, its not his fault. The reason why hes on here is because of Scott Layden. Houston was a great player offensively, I use to criticize his defense but now Crawford makes Houston look like a great defender. I realize now I shouldve enjoyed Houston and those Knicks more instead of complainin about how Spree would be better at the 2-guard spot. I use to hope Houston would get traded even though I always liked him. This is my biggest regret as a Knicks fan, the teams from 99 to when Isiah took over didnt look good on paper but they really overachieved. I wish i could go back and enjoy watchin those Knicks, this group now is a bunch of homo-clowns.

4. David Lee - Another player who I wish i didnt have to put on my list but some Knicks fans talk to highly of him. I think hes good enough to start but I dont think hes a future all-star. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes more of a threat offensively, hes been lookin better (no homo) on offense but still has a ways to go. Lee's a hard working player, has a great work ethic and could end up suprising me.

3. Glen Rice - We gave up Patrick Ewing for this bum. I think he had a couple of good games but the big 3 (H20, Spree, and Rice) didnt work out.

2. Eddy Curry - Franchise player? Dont think so

1. Jamal Crawford - See the official Crawford sucks thread. His defense is non-existant, his shooting percentages are terrible. Everytime I run into a fan and they say Crawford is the best player on this team I want to murk them. Thats a f*ckin joke. That stupid member on here who cant spell likes crawford for whatever reason, whats his name again, is it Bugs Bunny or cartoons, sumthin like that. Crawfords stats show that he shoots more 3 pointers then free throws which makes him a Pussy. Go to the rim, draw the foul. I even heard knicks fans say if we had a better record Crawford would be an all-star.:barf:

Although I don't agree about David Lee, I respect you for speaking out against a current Knick favorite and not worrying about the backlash, cause at the end of the day, you have every right to your opinion....even though I like Lee (no homo)

And yeah...the hell with Glen Rice!

Just like David Lee, I don't agree with this one either, but I think it may be because Marcus is still playing at a high level still, and I just wish we still had him. But like Knickz 33 I respect you atleast not being afraid to speak your mind, That's Real!