10 Greatest Emcees of All Time!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Basketball and Hip Hop go hand to hand to me. I love them both equally. So in honor of my version of the sites All Star Weekend I've created threads ranking some of the Knicks worst players, and overratted players. But lets get positive for a second as well as incorporate some Hip Hop into things.

So with out further a do I present you my 5 Greatest Emcees of All Time Thread. This will based off a number of factors 1st and most important, Lyrics, 2nd Longevity, 3rd Sucess (album sales, awards etc.)

10. Ice Cube: "The N you love to hate". Classic Albums like Amerikkka's Most Wanted, Death Certificate, The Predator, not to mention his contribution to NWA. He would later take on his whole former crew Dolo on No Vaseline. Jackin for beats is still biten 16 years later. Cube is an icon who can't be slept on

9. Common: Dude who handed Cube his ass on B#$ch In You, my favorite battle rap. But that alone does not put him past Cube ofcourse. Can I Borrow A Dollar, to Resurection, to his work now, dude hasn't switched his style up one bit. Lyrically he has gotten illa everytime out. Peep the Beatnuts Musical Massacare album for one of my favorite All Time verses that he delivered.

8. Kool G Rap: G Rap is one of the only old school emcees who get new school respect. Jay even compared himself to G Rap in his Prime, but G Rap can still rip at forty five. Ill Street Blues is still the most vivid rhymes I've heard

7.Redman: Yup Funk Dr. makes the list. Lyrically he can ride with anyone (peep the Blackout Album for further indications), Longeveity: he just released the Sleeper Album of The Year last year, and his success can't be questioned. Muddy Waters, What The Album, and Malpractice serve as his classics

6.Nas: Nas is to Hip Hop what the Knicks are to me in basketball! Illmatic was the first tape I ever bought myself. Nasir Jones has standed the test of time, and has another Album dropping soon! Respected by main stream heads to backpackers! Either was the Bomb that lossened Jay's grip on the game, and the Album Stillmatic was equally powerfull.

5. KRS ONE: Knowledge Reins Supreme Over Nearly Everybody! And this is so true. The Emcee that bought deep thought into hip hop. Went before The UN in order to have them embrace Hip Hop as a real culture. Teaches courses at Yale, Harvard, Berkley, etc. Self Destruction, Sound of The Police, Loves Gonna Git YA to name the tracks. Criminal Minded, Return of The Boom Bap, and By Any Means Necc. to name the albums, Kris is a true living legend

4. Big Pun: Pun is the first Latin Rapper to baffle my skull, I swore he was blacker than Cole, Like Nat King....I can remember having to pull my car over because of lines he spat. Capital Punishment was in my opinion a perfect Album. He was on the verge to be the Greatest had it not been for his ill timed death, but there will never be another Pun!

3. Pac/B.I.G: Call it a cop out, but I could never put one above the other. Their real life beef, and their deaths will forever keep them linked. I could list songs and verses all day from them that are Classic. Ready to Die and Life After Death serve as Big's Classic Albums, and 2Pacalyps, Strictly for My Niggaz, All eyes on me (just to name a few) are some of Pac's many classics.

2. Rakim: " Sip the Juice I got enough to go around" the illest intro to a song ever! Microphone Feind is the illest song ever! Mind Blowing Rymes, Style, Street Cred off the Charts! Classic albums are Paid In Full, Follow The Leader, Don't Sweat the Technique. Rakim is the master

1. Jay Z: Jay Z has ran hip hop since 1999, and has done it with an Iron Fist. Noone can match his success and his lyricism. He has been the standard for emcees since his breakout album In my Lifetime Volume 2. Although he gained attention in 99, it was his legendary album Reasonable Doubt that ranks as one of the Greatest All time Albums. Dynasty Album was the first Album when Jay took us deeper into his mind, with tales of missing father, and a miscarried child. He would eat up my favorite rapper and one of my favorite crews on "The Take Over" on another one of his classic albums "The Blue Print". He gave us Club Hits ( pick one) Lyrical tracks ( 22' two's, Lyrical Excercise, and Squeez First). Jay is not the Lyricist of Pun and Rakim, but his overall success is what makes him # 1

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
That's a great lineup of rappers! There's too many great rappers for me to put a top 10, but the guys you put do deserve a spot.I would've put Ice Cube higher on the list, but it's hard to put any one of those 10 in the perfect order, cause they're all great.I think you should put a top 10 greatest Knicks thread, too. It would be interesting who people pick for the list.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
It's tough to make a top ten emcee list. I was a huge Redman fan coming up but I don't think he should be on the top ten. Where are Big Daddy Kane and Slick Rick? Jay-Z to me is no more than 3rd or 4th best. He had three solid albums and a bunch of commercial trash that every body jumped on. L.L. should be on the list also. He was the man before the steroids and bare chest.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
No way can Jay-Z be first!!!! I know im too hard on him (no homo), i love alot of his music, hes got one of the greatest flows but no way is he anywhere close to bein the best lyricist. I dont think its cool that Jay-z wears jeans with sandels and how he destroyed def jam, but as a rapper i got nothin but respect for his music except kindom come (worst album i ever bought).

Which of these 3 rappers had the best flow? Jay-Z, Big L, Mase?
Im goin with Big L, his flow was effortless but Mase is madd underrated, dont sleep mothaf*ckaz.

Wheres Prodigy on that list, anyone hear his new songs?

Prodigy-New Yitty (this beat is hard no homo, and cold)

Prodigy-you can never feel my pain (One of the best songs ever)

Mobb Deep still runnin sh*t, one of the best groups ever!!! And wheres Wu-tang rappers on that list, no ghostface? Rakim deserves that #2 spot, maybe even #1.

How is Jay-Z better then Nas after gettin ethered? Heres a video of Jay-Z after hearing ether the 1st time, classic video with him stuttering.

And wheres Cormega, AZ, DMX, and Big Daddy Kane?

Anyone ever hear Kool G Raps cd live and let die? that sh*ts crazy!!!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I'ma listen to the cd now. I never heard of Kool G, but if people are putting it in a top 10, then its gotta be good.

Starks

Starter
Gary Grice- AKA tHE Genius AKA MAXIMIILLON AKA GZA gets my vote on any thread asking for the best MCs. He can rhyme story the size of a novel if he wanted to

New New York

Quiet Storm
No way can Jay-Z be first!!!! I know im too hard on him (no homo), i love alot of his music, hes got one of the greatest flows but no way is he anywhere close to bein the best lyricist. I dont think its cool that Jay-z wears jeans with sandels and how he destroyed def jam, but as a rapper i got nothin but respect for his music except kindom come (worst album i ever bought).

Which of these 3 rappers had the best flow? Jay-Z, Big L, Mase?
Im goin with Big L, his flow was effortless but Mase is madd underrated, dont sleep mothaf*ckaz.

Wheres Prodigy on that list, anyone hear his new songs?

Prodigy-New Yitty (this beat is hard no homo, and cold)

Prodigy-you can never feel my pain (One of the best songs ever)

Mobb Deep still runnin sh*t, one of the best groups ever!!! And wheres Wu-tang rappers on that list, no ghostface? Rakim deserves that #2 spot, maybe even #1.

How is Jay-Z better then Nas after gettin ethered? Heres a video of Jay-Z after hearing ether the 1st time, classic video with him stuttering.

And wheres Cormega, AZ, DMX, and Big Daddy Kane?

Anyone ever hear Kool G Raps cd live and let die? that sh*ts crazy!!!

Kane is my number 11! I'm a Kane fan too. I also just realized I left off LL. I think like someone said it is way too damn hard to narrow it down to 10! I mean Chuck D, Snoop, and Meth all got left off, so I don't think it's possible. Mega is my dude, I still bump the Realness, but All Time great? I'd put Buckshot before Mega. Damn I forgot Shan too!