Salary Cap situation MUST be Fixed

Blumatic

Rotation player
The Knicks have to get under the cap. No matter how long it takes. Though the coach sucks, personnel is not much to look at neither.

Every trade move we've made or been able to make is b/c or cap situtation restrict us so.

This team is such filth that it will take a deep cleaning. No special formula required, just roll up the sleeve and start scrubbing these scrubs.

We're not only a bad team but an embarassing one. Why should the salary be that high for that kind of performance. If the Knicks were under the cap it would be a totally situation and being in the NY market would be attractive for players.

Everyone knows the Knicks will suck for 20 years. Let's start from ground zero.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Salary cap is overrated. Maybe in Charlotte or Atlanta it would be a huge issue but in NY, the franchise that generates more money than any team in the league, it's not as big of a problem as some would lead you to believe. All going over the cap means is that a team will have to pay very high luxury tax. The Dolans are made of money so it doesn't matter. I hear they still own slaves. (joke) The Knicks are one big game to them. Could the franchise be ran better, absolutely, but what's 80 or 90 million when you're a billionaire and you make that money back with interest? It's not like they are losing money.

Why we really should get under the cap or at least acquire more marketable/tradable players is for D. Wade or Labron James. Knicks aint getting any where near under the cap for another two years. Trading Randolph would definitely be a step in the right financial direction.

Side note: Linas Kleiza is a quiet beast. I'd trade David Lee for him!

metrocard

Legend
Threadstarter is kinda late.

DonChris is still an idiot who doesn't understand the advantage of having cap control; even after Isiah's plan of ignoring the cap DonChris fails to understand the advantage of having cap control. There are a lot of teams who benefited from cap space in this league.

Who the hell is Labron James? Get under the cap, draft a franchise player in the draft and sign key free agents; keep it simple.

DonChris's side is just get to attention now, very desperate.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
OH Man ITS A huge advantage having a cap control!! Look what happened during the offseason with Orlando they got R. Lewis thanks to the trade the Knicks did with Francis, Penny Hardaway got wavied and they had money in the bank, cap wise. Then two years later signed R. Lewis to a huge contract because of salary cap. The best the Knicks can do with signing players is a mid level exception... That sucks, we need to get our salary cap fixed without a doubt.

LeBron James will be a Knick, Nike's main headquarters are in NY, and the best place for LeBron would be NY!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The solution to the Knicks' salary cap trouble is simple. Don't trade for players with huge contracts. About half of the players currently on the Knicks' contracts will be up after next year. We just have to make sure we don't trade those guys, and instead, we trade some of the guys that already make big money, like Curry, Randolph,James, Richardson, Jeffries, etc. I think the Knicks really should try and get rid of Richardson, Jeffries, and Curry, cause they've been the biggest liabilities so far(Curry's lack of defense and rebounds and heart and Richardson and Jeffries' lack of offense) but if we could get expiring contracts for Randolph and James, then that would help, too.The starting small forward should be Renaldo Balkman, and our starting Center should be David Lee, Zach Randolph, Jerome James, or Randolph Morris, in my opinion.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com

DonChris is still an idiot who doesn't understand the advantage of having cap control; even after Isiah's plan of ignoring the cap DonChris fails to understand the advantage of having cap control. There are a lot of teams who benefited from cap space in this league.

Who the hell is Labron James? Get under the cap, draft a franchise player in the draft and sign key free agents; keep it simple.

Agreed. I don't have nothing against Doncris, but that Ben Wallace trade proposal of his was sick. I don't care how good of a defender Wallace is. He ain't worth 14.5 million.Especially not at age 33, going on 34.

NYKnicks15

Starter
oh no doubt about it, cap control is HUGE. im not always in the favor of it IF a good trade comes along but the only way we should take on contracts at this point is if they are for brand, artest, amare like players. other than that DUMP IT.

LeBron James IS the target. i dont care what you say about JayZ's relationship with LBJ, he will be a knick when his contract is over.. not a Net. and not a Cav. hes an avid Yankees and Knicks fan straight up. ask him, hell tell you. hell make so much money coming here on top of his contract anyway that hell be rollin for a lifetime and then some. its just a matter of getting there.

we actually dont need to do much cause by the time he has the option to opt out and test free agency well only have zach 1 yr, eddy if he doesnt opt, jamal, jared and perhaps balkman, chandler and collins. and well be way over cap. i still think getting Zach out of here is number one priority so that we can resign nate & d-lee when the time comes. if that denver/zbo trade went down wed be gold but its unlikely.

Randolph gone & a good pick in this draft and were a-okay.

donchris

Everyone read closely and see how I clarify my position while simultaneously ethering metro, again!

The New York Knicks are valued at $592,000,000. Their annual revenue is a whopping $185,000,000. This is higher than any team in the league.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/32/biz_06nba_NBA-Team-Valuations_Rank.html

Metro do you know why the NBA has a salary cap? Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question. Open book test puss. The purpose of the salary cap is to limit the amount teams can spend on player contracts to maintain competitive balance in the league. The league uses a soft cap that allows teams to exceed the salary cap with out penalty. This explains why 26 of the leagues 30 teams are over the cap. This is my point in saying that the cap is 'overrated'. Don't confuse my words. What makes the Knicks a mismanaged team to say the least is that Thomas is the black Santa close, giving large contracts to underachieving players and trading expiring contracts for mediocre one dimensional scorers. (Jerome James, Jared Jeffries) That's an issue with management. All I'm saying is financially the Knicks are still a solid investment and the number one money maker for the NBA. But again, Labron James is the truth. If you can't see that metro idiot isn't the right word to describe you. 'Who the hell is Labron James', this is the comment of a moron, jackass, simpleton, nitwit, nincompoop.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i agree wit donchris, salary cap in NY is very overrated cuz at the end of the day we could still get good players out of free agency, maybe not a LeBron James type player but players like a mike miller who arent a max contract player can be obtained, all u need a is owner who is willing to spend and we all know that we have that cuz its the same guy who agreed to give the max to allan houston

Starks

Starter
i agree wit donchris, salary cap in NY is very overrated cuz at the end of the day we could still get good players out of free agency, maybe not a LeBron James type player but players like a mike miller who arent a max contract player can be obtained, all u need a is owner who is willing to spend and we all know that we have that cuz its the same guy who agreed to give the max to allan houston

who the hell threw that airball?? That was the worst shot I ever seen in my life lol

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I agree with Doncris that salary cap is overrated, when it comes to teams that are already established. However,I don't think salary cap is overrated, when you're trying to rebuild. A key part to rebuilding is drafting and signing players that are multi-dimensional, and that can help your team get to the playoffs.Getting the talent needed and making the playoffs is the ultimate goal of rebuilding.If your team sucks(like the Knicks) and you're 70 million dollars over the salary cap, it makes it nearly impossible to become better.That is why a lot of the people that fans keep bringing up as guys that need to get traded are the same guys that have big contracts. I don't hear anyone saying Nate Robinson and Wilson Chandler need to get traded, but Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry keep coming up, cause they make a lot of money.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
who the hell threw that airball?? That was the worst shot I ever seen in my life lol
That was Marbury. I recognized his form on his free throw. If Datruth is trying to use that to say Marbury sucks, then he's just a hater. Marbury shoots 77% from the line for his career. It's not like he's getting airballs left and right.I can't lie, though. The video is funny.

Blumatic

Rotation player
Wrong datruth. Your way of thinking violates the spirit of the salary cap and league offices will deny a transaction that goes against the goals of the collective bargaining agreement. If it is so overrated why are we always settling for mid level guys. We can never get a franchise changing transaction by being over the cap. Look at the Celtice, Magic etc. They're over the cap now but they had room. They have the best record while we have the highest payroll. It doesn't add up to nothing but to the stupidity of management.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

That's the whole point of getting under the cap, so we can sign max-contract/all-star caliber free agents. When we are over the cap, the only way we can get these types of players is through a sign and trade agreement. We need to have attractive pieces (i.e. expiring contracts or valuable players) to trade with, which we don't have.

paris401

Starter

let's take mike miller as an example.. he will make next year 8.2, then 9m, then 9.7,

if these years were players option (they are not), how do we sign him??? the MLE is 5years at 30m....

so how is it done??

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
let's take mike miller as an example.. he will make next year 8.2, then 9m, then 9.7,

if these years were players option (they are not), how do we sign him??? the MLE is 5years at 30m....

so how is it done??

how did we get jamal crawford, how we ge curry similar to those numbers, how did we get stephon marbury???getting a superstar is not the only way to win, by the way, im not using the video of stephon shooting an airball to hate, its just funny t me

donchris

Overrated may have been a poor choice of words. Overemphasized is a better word. No one that is concerned about the cap would have signed a declining Shaquille Oneal with a remaining two years $40+ million on the books or signed Vince Carter to a a huge contract when he is slowly declining, or given Ben Wallace an out of this world contract. Next to the Knicks The Mavericks have the highest payroll in the league but the still found a way to take on Michal Findley's huge contract a few years back and are signing J. Kid. We could go on and on. Again, the cap is important but frankly it's overused in these forums.

The point that was brought up regarding signing mid-level players is a valid one. Notice that the other 20+ teams that are over the cap don't really have this problem. Many of them have tradable assets, draft picks or cash considerations to even out the trades. I agree 100% that a smart GM is at lease somewhat mindful of the cap situation (which Isiah was not) but again, if you've got the money to spend and your owner isn't breathing down your neck, spend it wisely like Dallas did. No one even talks about Dallas and their cap situation. Winning is what makes the difference.

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
how did we get jamal crawford, how we ge curry similar to those numbers, how did we get stephon marbury???getting a superstar is not the only way to win, by the way, im not using the video of stephon shooting an airball to hate, its just funny t me
I agree. That video is funny.Marbury looked like he was trying to make it, and it still was an airball. I wish I had one of Curry getting an airball on the Knicks. I've seen him get airballs so many times.