New York Knicks vs Washington Wizards Game Thread 2/18

Which of the following players would you like to see the Knicks trade for?

• Ron Artest

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Jermaine O'Neil

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jason Williams

• Kurt Thomas

• Sebastian Telfair

• Im happy with the direction Isiah has this team heading in

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Najera, Smith, Kleiza, and Hunter

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No more trades until Isiah is fired/murked

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
The New York Knicks(15-37) vs The Wasington Wizards(25-27)
Tues. 2/19 at 7:00pm ET on MSG​

verizoncenter.jpg

Welcome to the MSGKnickz33 Pregame show, Im your host Jazzy Jeff and it feels like its been a long time. The Knicks have now lost 9 out of their last 10 games. Their most recent loss occured against the Boston Celtics. Some might argue that the Celtics lost also, because of my classic game thread. In all reality, only the Knicks lost.

The Wizards have been struggling, losing 8 of their last 10 games. Gilbert Arenas has set March 2nd as his return date, hoping to help his team climb the ladder and get the highest playoff position possible once he comes back. The Wizards are only 1 and 7 so far in February, so they will be looking to take advantage of an easy oppertunity against the Knicks.

knicks.gif

hongkong_073007rh.jpg

STARTING LINEUPS

The Washington Wizards

pg-Antonio Daniels
sg-Deshawn Stevenson
sf-Caron Butler?
pf-Antawn Jamison
C-Brendan Haywood

*Caron Butler is listed as day-to-day

AND NOW YOUR NEW YORK KNICKS!!!!

AT POINT GUARD JAMAL CRAWFORD
AT SHOOTING GUARD FRED JONES
AT SMALL FORWARD QUENTIN RICHARDSON
AT POWER FORWARD ZACH RANDOLPH
AT CENTER EDDY CURRY

MSG33 PresEnTs the KeY MatChuP: Antonio Daniels vs Jamal Crawford

antonio_daniels.jpg

crawford7_090707dwpg.jpg

knicks101.jpg

jamalcrawford_01.jpg

Jamal Crawford

Before the All-Star break, Jamal Crawford was leading the team in scoring and assists. His numbers, however, were not very efficient. Lets take a look at what he did in his previous 5 games:

44mpg
23.8ppg
39fg%
34.3% 3PT
6.4apg
3rpg
1.6spg
2.6topg

Good numbers for Crawford, excluding the shooting percentages. Dont be confused by those 1.6 steals per game, he had 6 steals against the Celtics but in the other 4 games he only recorded 2 steals. The shooting percentages dont tell the whole story, as well. Lets look further into the stats.

7.8 field goals made per game
20 field goals attempted per game

2.4 3PT made per game
7 3PT attempted per game

One last quick note, Crawford has attempted 35 3pointers and 34 freethrows over the last 5 games.

*Just a reminder, all of the above stats are for the last 5 games

Antonio Daniels (February Stats)

31mpg
8ppg
44.7fg%
3.7apg
3rpg
1.5spg
1topg

While Antonio Daniels doesnt blow you away with stats, he is a solid team player who does not turn the ball over and plays within the team system. Hes a better passer then his 3.7 assists indicate. He has averaged 5 assists in just over 31 minutes for the season. In his 1 game against the Knicks, he scored 8 points and dished 7 assists.

The Official MSG33 Pregame Strategy:
  • Limit Fouls!!!! Wizards=3rd best free throw shooting team(79.8%)
  • Get Physical Down Low!!!!!(no homo) Wizards=42.4rpg(10th)
  • Play careful, because the Wizards do (13.4topg,9th)
  • Try different matchups with Jamison and Butler, instead of playing Z-Bo and Q-Rich 35 to 40 minutes

Player Spotlight

spotlight_title.gif

Fred Jones is having his best month so far. He has been getting more minutes then previous months and continues to play good defense, and attempting almost 8 shots per game. In January, Jones only averaged 3.7 field goal attempts per game.

act_fred_jones.jpg

FredJones2.jpg

Fred Jones-February Stats

• 34.7mpg
  • 10.6ppg
  • 41.8fg% (7.9fga)
  • 41.4% 3PT
  • 4.6rpg
  • 3.3apg
  • .86spg

Good stats for Fred Jones but they dont tell the whole story, he is the best guard defensively on this Knicks team. Isiah needs to continue to find minutes for him and give him more freedom on offense.

Eastern Conference Standings

1. Celtics(41-9)
  2. Pistons(39-13)-3GB
  3. Magic(33-21)-10GB
  4. Cavs(29-23)-13GB
  5. Raptors(28-23)13.5GB
  6. Wizards(25-27)17GB
  7. Nets(23-30)19.5GB
  8. 76ers(23-30)19.5GB
  9. Hawks(21-28)19.5GB
  10. Bulls(21-31)21GB
  11. Pacers(21-32)21.5GB
  12. Bucks(19-34)23.5GB
  13. Bobcats(19-34)23.5GB
  14. Knicks(14-35)27GB
  15. Heat(9-42)32.5GB

The Official Playoff Race: Knicks are 6 games out

• The Green team and the Pistons continue to distance themselves from the rest of the Eastern Conference.
  • Orlando has quietly held down the 3rd spot in the East
  • 76ers have snuck into the playoffs
  • Chicago Bulls still a game and a half out, dissapointing season
  • Miami Heat are now 32.5 games behind the Celtics

Lets look at what is the opposite of the standings, the race for the worst record in the league. Suprisingly the Knicks managed to somehow be in the hunt for both the #8 spot in the playoffs and the worst record in the league. One outcome is much more likely then the other.

1. Heat(9-42)
  2. Timberwolves(10-41)1GB
  3. Sonics(13-38)4GB
  4. Grizzlies(14-38)4.5GB
  5. Knicks(15-37)5.5GB
  6. Clippers(17-33)8.5GB
  7. Bobcats(19-34)9GB
  8. Bucks(19-34)9GB
  9. Pacers(21-32)11GB
  10. Bulls(21-31)11.5GB
  11. Hawks(21-28)13GB
  12. 76ers(23-30)13GB
  13. Nets(23-30)13GB
  14. Kings(23-28)14GB
It turns out that the Knicks are 5.5 games away from having the worst record in the league and 7.5 games away from the #8 spot in the Eastern Conference.

Lets compare numbers from the first 4 months of the NBA season.

November(5-11):Opponents Points per game=101.5
93.1ppg,43.4rpg,17apg,42.9fg%,32.2%3P,70.2FT%,6.9spg,3.2bpg

December(3-11):Opponents Points per game=102.6
94.6ppg,41.3rpg,16.4apg,42.6fg%,33.1%3P,70.7FT%,6.7spg,1.5bpg

January(6-10):Opponents Points per game=98.8
96.4ppg,40.4rpg,21.3apg,46.1fg%,35.2%3P,74.4FT%,5.8spg,2.2bpg

February(1-6):Opponents Points per game=99.1
94.6ppg,43.1rpg,18.3apg,44.1fg%,32.3%3P,75.4FT%,5.9spg,2.6bpg

The Knicks have 1 win so far in February, only blocking 2.6 shots per game.

Wizards Top 3 Point shooters
  1. Nick Young-37.9%
  2. Roger Mason-36.9%
  3. Caron Butler-36.5%
  4. DeShawn Stevenson-36.3%
  5. Antawn Jamison-33%
  6. Antonio Daniels-28%
The Wizards are not one of the better 3 point shooting teams in the league.
Isiah should mention the name "Nick Young" several times.

Caron Butler has become one of the top small forwards in the league with his all around play. He makes an impact on offense, defense, and on the boards. It seems like Butler is underrated, theres not enough talk about him. If hes not a top 5 small forward, hes very close.

It is unclear whether or not Butler will be playing. He missed the All-Star game, and is listed as day-to-day. Rookie Dominic McGuire could be getting some minutes again. He is a 6'9" athletic small forward from Fresno State. In the Wizards last game before the all-star break, McGuire played 24 minutes grabbing an impressive 12 rebounds against the Clippers, but was unable to score.

Brendan Haywood has the size to slow down Curry, that is if Currys not already slowing himself down. Deshawn Stevenson is a good defender who is capable of slowing down Jamal Crawford. If we rewind back to January 15, it was Roger Mason who scored 20 points (8-14) in only 31 minutes. Hopefully the Knicks will come prepared, after playing the Wizards twice last month.

Throwback HipHop Video of the Day:

Artist:Lost Boyz
Title:Get Up
Album:Legal Drug Money
Year:1996

p22675k8oly.jpg

Knicks upcoming Schedule:

• Tue, Feb 19 @ Washington 7:00 PM
  • Wed, Feb 20 @ Philadelphia 7:00 PM
  • Fri, Feb 22 vs Toronto 7:30 PM
  • Sun, Feb 24 @ Toronto 6:00 PM
  • Wed, Feb 27 vs Charlotte 7:30 PM

That does it for my pregame show. I thank everyone for joining me and remember to tune in Wednesday night to catch the Knicks and the Wizards.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I think the Knicks will actually win this game.

Caron Butler will probably not play, Arenas is out of course, so I think the Knicks will pull out a W in this game. Good thread by the way, but remember this the little guys, as in the mediocre players always play well against the Knicks, remember that.

The poll came down to Artest and the Package from Denver for Z Bo. I picked the package, but I think a sign and trade might be the the way the Knicks will plan things during the offseason.

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think the Knicks will actually win this game.

Caron Butler will probably not play, Arenas is out of course, so I think the Knicks will pull out a W in this game. Good thread by the way, but remember this the little guys, as in the mediocre players always play well against the Knicks, remember that.

Thanks, im not sure how much longer im gonna be making them like this. I timed it, and it took me almost 2 hours. I worked strictly on this, nothing else the whole 2 hours. It just doesnt make sense for the worst team to have the best game threads, lol. If the Knicks can at least be competitive I wouldnt mind doin this but its hard to show enthusiasm when there really isnt any. One of the big reasons why i still make them is because it gives me more interest in watching the games, knowing all the stats i include. Its also good practice for someday when I take over the NBA page of the local newspaper.

With that being said, I have reason to believe that the Wizards want it more but who knows, I got the Wizards by 10.

Pricey

Rotation player
Butler and Jamison killed us last game, Butler couldnt miss from the line.
If Butler doesnt play then i think we win but i really dont want us to win for draft purposes. sounds bad i know but its all about the future.
I also think Haywood is very underated, great rebounder and Zach or Eddy will have their work cut out.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I think the Knicks will win. The Knicks have been playing hard in almost all their games, since January, and I think they'll give it 100% tomorrow night. The Wizards took it hard to the Knicks, the last time these two teams met, but Caron Butler won't play as well as he normally does, even if he plays, cause he's listed day-to-day. The key player in this game is Jamal Crawford. Jamal is the Knicks' worst defensive guard, so he has to make sure he scores at least 25 points. Antonio Daniels is not known for his offense, but every guard is known for their offense against Jamal. Curry needs to get benched, and David Lee should get the start at Center.Balkman should start at small forward.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
By the way, I was the one that voted,"I think Isiah is taking the team in the right direction." I thought it would add comedy. lol Isiah's booked in New York for life, so I guess it's time to lie to myself and believe Isiah's doing an excellent job in New York.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I am watching the game, since I did buy the league pass for $149.99 I got to watch the games, plus I like to watch other games as well, but the main purpose of me buying the LP was to see knicks win games, I actually thought the Knicks would have a winning season when I bought the package in October, but I guess I was wrong. I will probably never buy the league pass its to expensive, for a team like the Knicks lol.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Haywood blows past Curry and throws it down!!!!

Nate Robinson started instead of Fred Jones (Z-Bo just go blocked by Haywood). I guess you can throw away my player spotlight. Tomorrows game thread will be dumbed down, got a physics test and the Knicks suck. And were playing the 76ers, which will be a loss.

If this game is anyhting like last year's, its gunna be a great game. Remember when steve francis hit the 3 to win the game at the buzzer with his grandma there and then standin on the scorer's table. That got them into the 8 seed for a lil while.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Not one block shot and it is 6 minutes into the 4th. It would probably take 30 games for us to block as many shots as we have TO's in one game.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Imagine that Q has shot 4 ft's tonight, and he's hit all 4! What is going on with this team tonight? Zach is blocking, Q is getting to the line, if Eddy starts rebounding, then hell as officially frozen over! What's next Isiah is going to admit to wrong doing in tonights press conference.

metrocard

Legend
Nate Robinson and Zach Randolph are throwing water and towels at each other at the last 19 seconds of the 4th quarter.

That sequence summarizes what Isiah has established in New York.

Pricey

Rotation player
Jamal is a tosser, clutch free throw shooter eh?
Oh well, was a great comeback in the last. Im sure we will lose it in the 1st minute of OT :)

That was the final straw. Zach's gotta go. I've officially changed my mind, Trade Zach before Curry. Reason being-Last year, as a team we were great. No FIGHTING WITH EACH OTHER. I've never seen Eddy start anything with anybody. I really dont care if this team does well this year, therefore-i really dont care how well zach plays. He needs to leave.

Up by 5 early in overtime, but with this team you never no...3