Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible teams in the last decade that turned it around with good draft picks

Cool Terrible teams in the last decade that turned it around with good draft picks

I know the knicks suck, but we have to be optimistic. As long as Isaiah doesn't f- it ip, there is hope. Here is a list of teams that have been able to turn it around in the last decade after having a horrific season like the Knicks are having, with a great draft choice:

Portland Trailblazers
    2006 nba draft
    drafts Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge
    2007 Greg Ogden. Bright future.
    Portland currently 29-25
    before last draft record: 21-61

Utah Jazz
    2005 draft
    selected Deron williams with the third pick
    Current record: 35-19
    Before draft: 26-56

New orleans Hornets
    selected chris paul with the fourth pick
    Current record: 37-15
    Before draft pick: 18-64

Orlando Magic
    2004 draft #1 pick goes to orlando
    Select dwight howard
    Current record:34-22
    record prior to draft: 21-61

Cleveland Cavaliers

2003 draft
    say no more
    # 1 pick lebron James Cleveland
    Current record:30-24
    Appeared in Finals
    Record prior to draft: 17-65

Denver nuggets
    # 3 pick Carmelo Anthony
    Current record: 33-20
    Record prior o draft: 17-65

Toronto Raptors
    # 4 pick Chris Bosh
    Current record 29-23
    won the atlantic last year
    Record prior: 24-58

Miami Heat
    # 5 pick Dwayne Wade
    Current record: 9-43
    did win an Nba Championship already
    Record prior: 25-57

Houston Rockets
    2002 draft
    # 1 pick Yao ming
    Current record: 34-20
    Record prior to draft: 28-54

Phoenix Suns
    # 9 pick Amare Stoudamire
    Current record 37-17
    Record Prior to draft: 36-46

New Jersey Nets
    2000 Kenyon Martin # 1 pick
    Went to finals 2 times
    Prior record :31-51

Toronto Raptors
    1998 draft
    # 5 Vince Carter Made them relevant
    previous record prior to draft: 16-66
    made the playoffs 2 years later. first time in franchise history

San Antonio Spurs
    1997 draft
    # 1 pick Tim Duncan
    Say no more, we know what he has done
    previous record: 20-62

So I believe strongly in a good draft pick and obviously surrounding that player with talent and a supporting cast. Not all these players were the # 1 pick, but they were in the top 5 for the most part, with the exception of Stoudamire. Hope the Knicks draft well and we have something to look forward to.

Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar

Excellent THREAD Very very nice. +2 definately agree that a draft pick will help this team big time. I just hope the draft pick doesn't get spoiled by two fat garbages, an injury prone player, ball hogs, and poor leaders.

Nyk Logo

Definitely draft picks can be risky. There have been big time busts, i agree. Kwame brown is a clear example. We gotta have faith that we will get lucky!

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Nyk Logo

Thomas should draft a point guard then immediately be fired. He can say that he's resigning just to save face but we need new direction. Bring in some vets that work hard and play defense with short term contracts. All of this 'we like to shoot' **** is getting old. We need to completely rebuild over the summer. Curry, Crawford, Randolph all need to be on the block. Throw in Lee or Balkman to get rid of James or Richardson. We can clean house with one big swoop and really get on the right track.

What we have to do is follow the same model the Pestri is using with the Sonics.

CLEAN HOUSE!!!!! Sign or trade (don't think we can draft) a FRANCHISE PLAYER on the UPSIDE of his career. (Jermaine Oneal, Ron Artest, Vince Carter DO NOT FIT THAT MOLD folks)

Attain as many expiring contracts as possible and just accept the fact that Zeke f@#ked us over and we have no choice but to wait another 2-3 years before we can even think of returning to relevance.

I Love what the Sonics are doing. They are really positioning themselves to be a good team if Pestri is shrewd enough to know which players to get over the next 2-3 years

Originally Posted by dre48ny
    Definitely draft picks can be risky. There have been big time busts, i agree. Kwame brown is a clear example. We gotta have faith that we will get lucky!
    We should not expect us hitting the jackpot and getting a franchise player in this year's draft. However, most teams get their franchise player in the draft as oppose to via trade or signing through free agency. I can't stress this enough...we need to be patient. Starks, you are right. We shouldn't even think about returning to relevance until 2-3 years down the line. That means making it back to the playoffs.
    Last edited by KnicksFan112; Feb 22, 2008 at 12:36.

KnicksonLIN.com

The Knicks really need to hold on to their draft picks. The two positions the Knicks need most help with are the Center and Point Guard position.We need a Center that can block shots and rebound, and a point guard that can play defense and dribble the basketball up and down the floor.

The people I would keep:
    Stephon Marbury(expiring contract),Nate Robinson(energy and 3pt shooting), Jamal Crawford(with a reduced role of 30 mpg),Fred Jones(defense),Renaldo Balkman(defense), Wilson Chandler(young player with potential),Zach Randolph(rebounding and perimeter shooting),David Lee(rebounds and energy),Randolph Morris(back up center), Malik Rose(expiring Contact)

The people I'd get rid of:
    Eddy Curry(non-existant), Quentin Richardson(no jump shot), Jared Jeffries(overpaid), Jerome James(overpaid), Mardy Collins(for roster space)

Originally Posted by abcd
    The Knicks really need to hold on to their draft picks. The two positions the Knicks need most help with are the Center and Point Guard position.We need a Center that can block shots and rebound, and a point guard that can play defense and dribble the basketball up and down the floor.

The people I would keep:
    Stephon Marbury(expiring contract),Nate Robinson(energy and 3pt shooting), Jamal Crawford(with a reduced role of 30 mpg),Fred Jones(defense),Renaldo Balkman(defense), Wilson Chandler(young player with potential),Zach Randolph(rebounding and perimeter shooting),David Lee(rebounds and energy),Randolph Morris(back up center), Malik Rose(expiring Contact)

The people I'd get rid of:
    Eddy Curry(non-existant), Quentin Richardson(no jump shot), Jared Jeffries(overpaid), Jerome James(overpaid), Mardy Collins(for roster space)
    why would you want to keeep crawford and and fat hillbilly zach i under stand the rest but why those tooo *******s! they destroyed the knicks thats why ethe teams they were on were soo reluctant to get rid of them ... if marbury didnt have an expiring contract and malik (nothing bad on rose but hes a dead weight now) i would say the same for them.. randolph sux balls and crawford just chucks them up no future with these crap players

Great Thread! I'm not as familiar with this draft class as I've been in previous years. But is there a Franchise Player like Dwight in this years draft? I like the numbers the kid from K State is putting up, and I know some of yall have talked about Rose, who many compare to Baron Davis from what I've read on him

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by GTKnicksFAN
    why would you want to keeep crawford and and fat hillbilly zach i under stand the rest but why those tooo *******s! they destroyed the knicks thats why ethe teams they were on were soo reluctant to get rid of them ... if marbury didnt have an expiring contract and malik (nothing bad on rose but hes a dead weight now) i would say the same for them.. randolph sux balls and crawford just chucks them up no future with these crap players
    I would keep Crawford and Zach for offensive purposes.If we can get some draft picks and expiring contracts, then I'd trade them. But I think we could use them as part of the rebuilding process. I'd definitely get rid of Zach and Jamal after next year, though. But for now, we could use their offense.I disagree. Randolph does not suck balls. I think people are being too hard on him. This is just his first year with the team, and he's played well. I think he would make an excellent starting powerforward for the team, as a 2nd or 3rd option for the team.As far as Crawford's concerned, I agree. He's a no good chucker. But I didn't say keep Crawford at 42 mpg. I said keep him as a reduced role 30 mpg and less shot opportunities.Plus, the main cancers on the Knicks are not Crawford or Randolph. Our main cancers are Dolan and Isiah.
    I agree about Marbury and Rose. If not for their expiring contracts, I'd try to get rid of them, too. I'd trade Marbury, cause Isiah's an idiot that likes to use him as a scapegoat for why the team sucks, like he did earlier this year.It would lead to too many distractions, if we have another confrontation between those two.And I'd trade Rose, cause he's old.
    Last edited by abcd; Feb 22, 2008 at 16:39.

Originally Posted by New New York
    Great Thread! I'm not as familiar with this draft class as I've been in previous years. But is there a Franchise Player like Dwight in this years draft? I like the numbers the kid from K State is putting up, and I know some of yall have talked about Rose, who many compare to Baron Davis from what I've read on him
    This draft is good. I doubt we will be able to get beasley or rose

but other options around where our pick will be

Lopez, Gallinari, Mayo, Gordan

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Beasley is a rare talent who can score anyway and is better suited in the NBA than Durant is, Rose is IGHT; Augustine is a better PG option.

The players the Knicks need most are Lopez, Thabeet or DJ Augustine. Lopez has a Tim Duncan like game, Thabeet is a potential Mutumbo, really underrated player right now, and Augustine has complete PG guard skills with a killer jumper and unlimited scoring ability. Everyone else will be an OKAY pick, but those three guys will fill our holes and make our future bright as ****.

KnicksonLIN.com

I think the Knicks should go for a center in the first round. If Marbury decides to stay a Knick, we should let the offense run through him. He only has 1 year left, after this year, and we actually made the playoffs when he was our top player.I don't think Marbury is a 20 and 8 kind of player anymore, but I think he could still give us 18 and 6, which is good enough to help us get to the playoffs.He just needs to stay in shape, ignore Isiah's stupidity, and work as a team.I'm looking at the Knicks(no homo) and we might be able to make a scoring trio out of Marbury, Crawford, and Randolph next year.All 3 of those guys can score(even though their defense is very questionable), and we could give the younger players playing time, so that they could develop their game.I think that would be a good rebuilding idea for the Knicks. I doubt Isiah will do this, though. It makes too much sense. Instead, he'll sign some more overpaid players, keep Curry(our biggest liability on the team) and trade more draft picks.

Great thread. Here is the problem. All those teams that turned it around with draft picks and it usually takes 3 good drafts. Set themselves up with cap room so that when there pics developed they were able to acquire a big free agent. We do not have that luxury. Also thanks to Isiah, we have no draft pick in 2010 he traded that away for Marbury.
    The more I look at it I am going to start watching the Yankees spring traing and say the hell with the knicks until like 2015

KnicksonLIN.com

Isiah also gave away our 2009 second round pick as part of the Curry trade.And if the Knicks finish with a top 9 NBA record in 2009, we'll lose our 2009 first round pick, too, as part of the Marbury trade.When you look at all the stupid things Isiah has done, it's shocking how Jim Dolan has not even thought about firing Isiah.He was even planning to give away this year's draft pick. We're just lucky to have a team that's 17-38.If not, the Jazz would have our pick for this year, too, and they'd take it with a smile.And as Paris pointed out, we can't forget about Draft night. Isiah also has the option to trade away our first round pick and second round pick, if he chooses.