Terrible teams in the last decade that turned it around with good draft picks

dre48ny

Rotation player
I know the knicks suck, but we have to be optimistic. As long as Isaiah doesn't f- it ip, there is hope. Here is a list of teams that have been able to turn it around in the last decade after having a horrific season like the Knicks are having, with a great draft choice:

Portland Trailblazers
2006 nba draft
drafts Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge
2007 Greg Ogden. Bright future.
Portland currently 29-25
before last draft record: 21-61

Utah Jazz
2005 draft
selected Deron williams with the third pick
Current record: 35-19
Before draft: 26-56

New orleans Hornets
selected chris paul with the fourth pick
Current record: 37-15
Before draft pick: 18-64

Orlando Magic
2004 draft #1 pick goes to orlando
Select dwight howard
Current record:34-22
record prior to draft: 21-61

Cleveland Cavaliers

2003 draft
say no more
# 1 pick lebron James Cleveland
Current record:30-24
Appeared in Finals
Record prior to draft: 17-65

Denver nuggets
# 3 pick Carmelo Anthony
Current record: 33-20
Record prior o draft: 17-65

Toronto Raptors
# 4 pick Chris Bosh
Current record 29-23
won the atlantic last year
Record prior: 24-58

Miami Heat
# 5 pick Dwayne Wade
Current record: 9-43
did win an Nba Championship already
Record prior: 25-57

Houston Rockets
2002 draft
# 1 pick Yao ming
Current record: 34-20
Record prior to draft: 28-54

Phoenix Suns
# 9 pick Amare Stoudamire
Current record 37-17
Record Prior to draft: 36-46

New Jersey Nets
2000 Kenyon Martin # 1 pick
Went to finals 2 times
Prior record :31-51

Toronto Raptors
1998 draft
# 5 Vince Carter Made them relevant
previous record prior to draft: 16-66
made the playoffs 2 years later. first time in franchise history

San Antonio Spurs
1997 draft
# 1 pick Tim Duncan
Say no more, we know what he has done
previous record: 20-62

So I believe strongly in a good draft pick and obviously surrounding that player with talent and a supporting cast. Not all these players were the # 1 pick, but they were in the top 5 for the most part, with the exception of Stoudamire. Hope the Knicks draft well and we have something to look forward to.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Excellent THREAD Very very nice. +2 definately agree that a draft pick will help this team big time. I just hope the draft pick doesn't get spoiled by two fat garbages, an injury prone player, ball hogs, and poor leaders.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Definitely draft picks can be risky. There have been big time busts, i agree. Kwame brown is a clear example. We gotta have faith that we will get lucky!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Thomas should draft a point guard then immediately be fired. He can say that he's resigning just to save face but we need new direction. Bring in some vets that work hard and play defense with short term contracts. All of this 'we like to shoot' shit is getting old. We need to completely rebuild over the summer. Curry, Crawford, Randolph all need to be on the block. Throw in Lee or Balkman to get rid of James or Richardson. We can clean house with one big swoop and really get on the right track.

Starks

Starter
What we have to do is follow the same model the Pestri is using with the Sonics.

CLEAN HOUSE!!!!! Sign or trade (don't think we can draft) a FRANCHISE PLAYER on the UPSIDE of his career. (Jermaine Oneal, Ron Artest, Vince Carter DO NOT FIT THAT MOLD folks)

Attain as many expiring contracts as possible and just accept the fact that Zeke f@#ked us over and we have no choice but to wait another 2-3 years before we can even think of returning to relevance.

I Love what the Sonics are doing. They are really positioning themselves to be a good team if Pestri is shrewd enough to know which players to get over the next 2-3 years

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Definitely draft picks can be risky. There have been big time busts, i agree. Kwame brown is a clear example. We gotta have faith that we will get lucky!

We should not expect us hitting the jackpot and getting a franchise player in this year's draft. However, most teams get their franchise player in the draft as oppose to via trade or signing through free agency. I can't stress this enough...we need to be patient. Starks, you are right. We shouldn't even think about returning to relevance until 2-3 years down the line. That means making it back to the playoffs.

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks really need to hold on to their draft picks. The two positions the Knicks need most help with are the Center and Point Guard position.We need a Center that can block shots and rebound, and a point guard that can play defense and dribble the basketball up and down the floor.

The people I would keep:
Stephon Marbury(expiring contract),Nate Robinson(energy and 3pt shooting), Jamal Crawford(with a reduced role of 30 mpg),Fred Jones(defense),Renaldo Balkman(defense), Wilson Chandler(young player with potential),Zach Randolph(rebounding and perimeter shooting),David Lee(rebounds and energy),Randolph Morris(back up center), Malik Rose(expiring Contact)

The people I'd get rid of:
Eddy Curry(non-existant), Quentin Richardson(no jump shot), Jared Jeffries(overpaid), Jerome James(overpaid), Mardy Collins(for roster space)

GTKnicksFAN

Benchwarmer
The Knicks really need to hold on to their draft picks. The two positions the Knicks need most help with are the Center and Point Guard position.We need a Center that can block shots and rebound, and a point guard that can play defense and dribble the basketball up and down the floor.

The people I would keep:
Stephon Marbury(expiring contract),Nate Robinson(energy and 3pt shooting), Jamal Crawford(with a reduced role of 30 mpg),Fred Jones(defense),Renaldo Balkman(defense), Wilson Chandler(young player with potential),Zach Randolph(rebounding and perimeter shooting),David Lee(rebounds and energy),Randolph Morris(back up center), Malik Rose(expiring Contact)

The people I'd get rid of:
Eddy Curry(non-existant), Quentin Richardson(no jump shot), Jared Jeffries(overpaid), Jerome James(overpaid), Mardy Collins(for roster space)

why would you want to keeep crawford and and fat hillbilly zach i under stand the rest but why those tooo assholes! they destroyed the knicks thats why ethe teams they were on were soo reluctant to get rid of them ... if marbury didnt have an expiring contract and malik (nothing bad on rose but hes a dead weight now) i would say the same for them.. randolph sux balls and crawford just chucks them up no future with these crap players

New New York

Quiet Storm
Great Thread! I'm not as familiar with this draft class as I've been in previous years. But is there a Franchise Player like Dwight in this years draft? I like the numbers the kid from K State is putting up, and I know some of yall have talked about Rose, who many compare to Baron Davis from what I've read on him

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
why would you want to keeep crawford and and fat hillbilly zach i under stand the rest but why those tooo assholes! they destroyed the knicks thats why ethe teams they were on were soo reluctant to get rid of them ... if marbury didnt have an expiring contract and malik (nothing bad on rose but hes a dead weight now) i would say the same for them.. randolph sux balls and crawford just chucks them up no future with these crap players
I would keep Crawford and Zach for offensive purposes.If we can get some draft picks and expiring contracts, then I'd trade them. But I think we could use them as part of the rebuilding process. I'd definitely get rid of Zach and Jamal after next year, though. But for now, we could use their offense.I disagree. Randolph does not suck balls. I think people are being too hard on him. This is just his first year with the team, and he's played well. I think he would make an excellent starting powerforward for the team, as a 2nd or 3rd option for the team.As far as Crawford's concerned, I agree. He's a no good chucker. But I didn't say keep Crawford at 42 mpg. I said keep him as a reduced role 30 mpg and less shot opportunities.Plus, the main cancers on the Knicks are not Crawford or Randolph. Our main cancers are Dolan and Isiah.
I agree about Marbury and Rose. If not for their expiring contracts, I'd try to get rid of them, too. I'd trade Marbury, cause Isiah's an idiot that likes to use him as a scapegoat for why the team sucks, like he did earlier this year.It would lead to too many distractions, if we have another confrontation between those two.And I'd trade Rose, cause he's old.

Last edited:

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Great Thread! I'm not as familiar with this draft class as I've been in previous years. But is there a Franchise Player like Dwight in this years draft? I like the numbers the kid from K State is putting up, and I know some of yall have talked about Rose, who many compare to Baron Davis from what I've read on him

This draft is good. I doubt we will be able to get beasley or rose

but other options around where our pick will be

Lopez, Gallinari, Mayo, Gordan

metrocard

Legend
Beasley is a rare talent who can score anyway and is better suited in the NBA than Durant is, Rose is IGHT; Augustine is a better PG option.

The players the Knicks need most are Lopez, Thabeet or DJ Augustine. Lopez has a Tim Duncan like game, Thabeet is a potential Mutumbo, really underrated player right now, and Augustine has complete PG guard skills with a killer jumper and unlimited scoring ability. Everyone else will be an OKAY pick, but those three guys will fill our holes and make our future bright as fuck.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I think the Knicks should go for a center in the first round. If Marbury decides to stay a Knick, we should let the offense run through him. He only has 1 year left, after this year, and we actually made the playoffs when he was our top player.I don't think Marbury is a 20 and 8 kind of player anymore, but I think he could still give us 18 and 6, which is good enough to help us get to the playoffs.He just needs to stay in shape, ignore Isiah's stupidity, and work as a team.I'm looking at the Knicks(no homo) and we might be able to make a scoring trio out of Marbury, Crawford, and Randolph next year.All 3 of those guys can score(even though their defense is very questionable), and we could give the younger players playing time, so that they could develop their game.I think that would be a good rebuilding idea for the Knicks. I doubt Isiah will do this, though. It makes too much sense. Instead, he'll sign some more overpaid players, keep Curry(our biggest liability on the team) and trade more draft picks.

stevie

Benchwarmer
Great thread. Here is the problem. All those teams that turned it around with draft picks and it usually takes 3 good drafts. Set themselves up with cap room so that when there pics developed they were able to acquire a big free agent. We do not have that luxury. Also thanks to Isiah, we have no draft pick in 2010 he traded that away for Marbury.
The more I look at it I am going to start watching the Yankees spring traing and say the hell with the knicks until like 2015

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Isiah also gave away our 2009 second round pick as part of the Curry trade.And if the Knicks finish with a top 9 NBA record in 2009, we'll lose our 2009 first round pick, too, as part of the Marbury trade.When you look at all the stupid things Isiah has done, it's shocking how Jim Dolan has not even thought about firing Isiah.He was even planning to give away this year's draft pick. We're just lucky to have a team that's 17-38.If not, the Jazz would have our pick for this year, too, and they'd take it with a smile.And as Paris pointed out, we can't forget about Draft night. Isiah also has the option to trade away our first round pick and second round pick, if he chooses.

metrocard

Legend
Isiah also gave away our 2009 second round pick as part of the Curry trade.And if the Knicks finish with a top 9 NBA record in 2009, we'll lose our 2009 first round pick, too, as part of the Marbury trade.When you look at all the stupid things Isiah has done, it's shocking how Jim Dolan has not even thought about firing Isiah.He was even planning to give away this year's draft pick. We're just lucky to have a team that's 17-38.If not, the Jazz would have our pick for this year, too, and they'd take it with a smile.And as Paris pointed out, we can't forget about Draft night. Isiah also has the option to trade away our first round pick and second round pick, if he chooses.

abcd, I really appreciate you picking up the Isiah bashing bat for me and smacking Isiah around like Albert Pujos smacking a baseball. I've been bashing Isiah for atleast 4 years already, but this 2007-08 season really drained me and my passion to bash Isiah and defend our Knicks. Whenever that passion comes back its going to be an ugly day for Isiahsexuals. But for now you're doing an amazing job of pointing out the OBVIOUS FACTS NO ONE WANTS TO READ(Mainly closet Isiahsexuals). Isiah ruined this franchise plain and simple. I hate Dolan, but Dolan gave Isiah the freedom and the responsibility, Thomas ruined it and thats 100% his fault, no one else. Isiah HAD NO PRESSURE; he had all the time and freedom he needed to change this organization around. Layden was pressured by Dolan especially since Layden had to continue the success from the 90's with aging players.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!

you really almost repeated what I said like 10 times over, I also told you about the 2nd round pick, and Utahs unprojected pick in 2010, 09 22nd protected in 09.....

Last edited:

GTKnicksFAN

Benchwarmer
This draft is good. I doubt we will be able to get beasley or rose

but other options around where our pick will be

Lopez, Gallinari, Mayo, Gordan

hey man be optimistic i know thats very hard with Isiah as our GM lol but we have a chance we are in the lottery draft this year if things keep going down hill we might get that fist pick who knows

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
abcd, I really appreciate you picking up the Isiah bashing bat for me and smacking Isiah around like Albert Pujos smacking a baseball. I've been bashing Isiah for atleast 4 years already, but this 2007-08 season really drained me and my passion to bash Isiah and defend our Knicks. Whenever that passion comes back its going to be an ugly day for Isiahsexuals. But for now you're doing an amazing job of pointing out the OBVIOUS FACTS NO ONE WANTS TO READ(Mainly closet Isiahsexuals). Isiah ruined this franchise plain and simple. I hate Dolan, but Dolan gave Isiah the freedom and the responsibility, Thomas ruined it and thats 100% his fault, no one else. Isiah HAD NO PRESSURE; he had all the time and freedom he needed to change this organization around. Layden was pressured by Dolan especially since Layden had to continue the success from the 90's with aging players.

I disagree...Dolan is more to blame than Isiah for the poor state of the Knicks. He's the prick that hired Layden and Isiah. Don't give him credit for giving Isiah financial freedom. Why the hell would you give a man who did a horrible job in Toronto and screwed up the CBA financial freedom? That's just plain stupid. And now, he's being a stubborn ass for not firing Isiah. Also, I don't want Isiah here for the draft. He's overrated as a drafter and I don't want any chance that he screws up the Knicks further by trading our first round pick during draft day.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
you really almost repeated what I said like 10 times over, I also told you about the 2nd round pick, and Utahs unprojected pick in 2010, 09 22nd protected in 09.....
Yeah, I know. It's just sickens me how Isiah can get away with doing all this bulls#!t. You wanna know Isiah's punishment for all of this? A 4 year contract extension worth 24 million dollars, and a lawsuit that Madison Square Garden has to pay, so Isiah gets off the hook.