Will Kiki Vandeweghe be the Knicks next GM?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
According to NY Daily News Vandeweghe was sited at the Apollo Theater for a private screening of 'Black Magic', a film about basketball at historically black colleges. In short, Vandeweghe was allegedly Steve Mills' guest. Vandeweghe is currently under a six month contract with the Nets as special assistant to the GM Rod Thorn. His contract expires in June. It's all speculation at this point but could Kiki be our next GM and would he be a good one? Other possible candidates are Jerry Colangelo and Donnie Walsh.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-27_knicks_may_have_sights_set_on_kiki-2.html

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
jerry colangelo hes more experienced well hes a good Gm..

I'd prefer Jerry West, then Jerry Colangelo because West seems to be able to pull off lopsided trades and he seems to have an eye for talent. For example, the Divac for Kobe trade, Gasol for Shareef Abdur-Rahim and convincing Shaq to sign with the Lakers. Either way, I'd be happy with both GMs.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Quoted from article
Vandeweghe, Jerry Colangelo and Donnie Walsh have been mentioned as the three most likely candidates to replace Thomas, the Knicks president. But Vandeweghe appears to have a slight edge, according to several league sources.

"Hiring Kiki is a safe play for Steve," says a Knicks source. "They might be intimidated by Jerry and Donnie."

I don't want Kiki here. Drafting Carmelo was the only thing he did well in Denver. He'd be better than Isiah, but that's not saying much. We MUST get Jerry Colangelo for several reasons:

1.) He wants the challenge of bringing a championship to New York. In fact he was quoted as saying that bringing a championship to the Knicks would be his greatest achievement.

2.) He's a proven successful GM

3.) Because of what was quoted in the article - he won't be pushed around by Dolan and will force Dolan to stay out of the way and let him run this team.

donchris

Quoted from article

I don't want Kiki here. Drafting Carmelo was the only thing he did well in Denver. He'd be better than Isiah, but that's not saying much. We MUST get Jerry Colangelo for several reasons:

1.) He wants the challenge of bringing a championship to New York. In fact he was quoted as saying that bringing a championship to the Knicks would be his greatest achievement.

2.) He's a proven successful GM

3.) Because of what was quoted in the article - he won't be pushed around by Dolan and will force Dolan to stay out of the way and let him run this team.

Kiki transformed Denver from insignificant to a contender. Kiki traded for Camby also. The reasons you have mentioned that Colangelo would be good for the Knicks are the same reasons I think he would not be good. (Reason #3) Dolan may be a slow, former lead paint chip eating kid but he's the boss and that has to be respected by the GM. Even if he has no clue what to do his ego has to be stroked (no homo) and he must believe that he is calling the shots. A dude like Colangelo would run shit and tell Jimmy to go to a Rangers game and stay the fk out my way. That shit wouldn't work.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Kiki transformed Denver from insignificant to a contender. Kiki traded for Camby also. The reasons you have mentioned that Colangelo would be good for the Knicks are the same reasons I think he would not be good. (Reason #3) Dolan may be a slow, former lead paint chip eating kid but he's the boss and that has to be respected by the GM. Even if he has no clue what to do his ego has to be stroked (no homo) and he must believe that he is calling the shots. A dude like Colangelo would run shit and tell Jimmy to go to a Rangers game and stay the fk out my way. That shit wouldn't work.

I disagree. Telling Jimmy to stay out of the way is the best thing for this organization.

I'm not sure who to give credit to for the Camby trade. Kiki or Layden being an idiot.

Kiki has made a lot of bad moves and poor draft choices as well. The Nuggets were playing like crap until George Karl became the coach. But, you're right. The Nuggets were a perennial lottery team until Kiki came along. I just think Colangelo would do a better job in building a championship contender.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look we need someone with an impeccable background after Isiah. I'm not saying that Kiki is not good, but we need someone that there is no question about. Getting rid of Isiah to bring in Kiki is like replacing Curry for Chris Kaman. Replacing Isiah for Colangelo is like replacing Curry for Dwight Howard!

Kiki is an ex Knick which says something, and he did help transform Denver. But Colangelo has respect around the league, we need a total makeover and this would be a great, great start for us.

Moz106

Benchwarmer
Jerry is the man, i remember kiki drafting Nikoloz Tskitishvili, and passed on amre, bring jerry here.....

jzero29

Rotation player
Dolan's Mater plan!!!

Obviously you don't see the Dolan's master plan!(true genius) Isiah will be fired at end of season as GM/COACH...Then they will bring him back as COACH/GM. This way Dolan keeps his promise to Fire Isiah, and instead of Isiah being the GM and Coach, He'll be the Coach and GM. He'll trade the Knicks next seven first round picks to Phoenix for shaq. So we can have a starting Five Of centers! We'll start morris/curry/Randolph/Shaq and J.James!
The offense will be run by Randolph at PG, he'll take the ball up the court, wait for shaq/curry/james/morris to get position down low on one another then he'll shoot the ball. Why pass and turn it over. Curry can be the Shooting Guard...he's shoots 100% from 3 for his career(2 for 2 I believe, it's no big deal beacuse Randolph won't pass anyway) besides curry/shaq/Randolh and James have to post up. Shaq will lead team in free throw shooting. I can't wait for 2008-9 season!!! Maybe We can get that 7'8 guys who can't run from the draft, he can come off the bench.

Dolan has invested in The brooklyn Nets. So he is trying to ruin this franchise.

donchris

Thomas wants Kiki and Thomas

The latest rumor according to the Daily News is that Dolan is prepared to strip Thomas as President/GM but is committed to keeping Thomas as coach. Kiki is rumored to take over as President/GM.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...8-02-28_james_dolan_wants_kiki_and_isiah.html

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Prior to this season I would have said that Thomas was a decent coach and an awful GM, but now, he really looks bad at both. This feels like needing $1,000 and only getting $500.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The latest rumor according to the Daily News is that Dolan is prepared to strip Thomas as President/GM but is committed to keeping Thomas as coach. Kiki is rumored to take over as President/GM.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...8-02-28_james_dolan_wants_kiki_and_isiah.html

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Prior to this season I would have said that Thomas was a decent coach and an awful GM, but now, he really looks bad at both. This feels like needing $1,000 and only getting $500.

This is awful news. Can somebody please assassinate Dolan! We need Jerry Colangelo and Rick Carlisle!

Trin_Starr

Starter
This is awful news. Can somebody please assassinate Dolan! We need Jerry Colangelo and Rick Carlisle!

Actually that is great news - and it finally shows some smarts on the part of Dolan's team of advisors.

Here's the breakdown.
Last year he gave Isiah a 4yr extension for $20mil.
If he fires Isiah - Isiah gets all his money BUT if Isiah quits - he gets none of it...
What is the best way to get an extremely proud, and self conscious man like Isiah to quit - demote him from the all powerful GM to just a coach to bear the brunt of the fan's ire, and continue to take a beating from the NY media...
Isiah will not stay and have whatever is left of his dignity to be stripped away and dragged through the mud. That is why he will quit, leaving millions on the table.
Classic mastermind :)

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Actually that is great news - and it finally shows some smarts on the part of Dolan's team of advisors.

Here's the breakdown.
If he fires Isiah - Isiah gets all his money BUT if Isiah quits - he gets none of it...
What is the best way to get an extremely proud, and self conscious man like Isiah to quit - demote him from the all powerful GM to just a coach to bear the brunt of the fan's ire, and continue to take a beating from the NY media...
Isiah will not stay and have whatever is left of his dignity to be stripped away and dragged through the mud. That is why he will quit, leaving millions on the table.

I hope you're right. But I don't see Isiah quitting.

Quoted from New York Post February 28, 2008 By MARC BERMAN
Stephon Marbury , don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

That was Isiah Thomas' cold message last night before the New York Knicks routed the Bobcats 113-89 at the Garden according to the New York Post.

Thomas strongly indicated Marbury is not in his plans for next season, though the Knick point guard has one year left on his contract.

I can think of a few posters on this site that this will piss off. Keeping Isiah and getting rid of Marbury. Personally, I think both need to go ASAP.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I hope you're right. But I don't see Isiah quitting.

Quoted from New York Post February 28, 2008 By MARC BERMAN

I can think of a few posters on this site that this will piss off. Keeping Isiah and getting rid of Marbury. Personally, I think both need to go ASAP.

Someones afraid to mention names, I been seein this all the time now from multiple posters.

jzero29

Rotation player
Garbage

Here's the breakdown.
I didn't think of it like that. The only problem I have with that is that we'd have to suffer through another year of his terrible coaching, and there is not much room for Kikki to make any real changes his first year. It would be like seeing the same team. He won't be able to really make a difference for a few years. Not that that lets Isiah off the hook. He is the one who had room to make changes to lock us in this whole mess. Instead of rebuilding when the time came he forced us in the other direction and screwed us for years to come.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Someones afraid to mention names, I been seein this all the time now from multiple posters.

I'm not afraid to mention names. I just thought I would try to keep this civil and avoid a childish retaliation laced with name-calling and personal insults. But since you want names, I meant you, Metrocard, and abcd mainly.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I'm not afraid to mention names. I just thought I would try to keep this civil and avoid a childish retaliation laced with name-calling and personal insults. But since you want names, I meant you, Metrocard, and abcd mainly.

Its understandable, If I was an average poster I would try to avoid gettin into arguments with elite posters.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Its understandable, If I was an average poster I would try to avoid gettin into arguments with elite posters.

I'm not afraid of arguing with you either. In fact, every argument I've had with you I...
><a style="padding:3px;background: transparent;color:

BITCH-SLAPPED YOU...

Hahaha!! But seriously, get over yourself man. You try and make every thread personal. This thread was about Kiki coming to the Knicks, Isiah staying and Marbury going. That's the news of the day. But typical, you had to go and make it about yourself....AGAIN!!! Can you at least make one relevant post today?

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I'm not afraid of arguing with you either. In fact, every argument I've had with you I...
><a style="padding:3px;background: transparent;color:

BITCH-SLAPPED YOU...

Hahaha!! But seriously, get over yourself man. You try and make every thread personal. This thread was about Kiki coming to the Knicks, Isiah staying and Marbury going. That's the news of the day. But typical, you had to go and make it about yourself....AGAIN!!! Can you at least make one relevant post today?

One relevant post? Im workin on the game thread for tomorrow....

I didnt make it about myself, you threw sublims at me and a couple others.

I never been beatin in an argument, im still undefeated. No one gets up after bein shot down by THE GOLD MAC 10.