Greatest news of the 07-08 season: Curry to have season ending surgery

metrocard

Legend
Eddy Curry is likely to have season-ending knee surgery after an MRI revealed a vertical cartilage tear in his right knee.
The plan is for Curry to take a few days and see if the swelling goes down, and then make a decision on whether to play on or have surgery. But with nothing left to play for, it would make sense for Curry to have the procedure now. He?ll need 4-6 weeks to recover, so he should be fine going into next season. With Curry out, David Lee should see more stable playing time the rest of the way, while Randolph Morris will also get a long look from the Knicks. Officially, Curry has been ruled out for Monday?s game, and is questionable for Wednesday in Miami.

taz2ja3.gif

Taz approves.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm curious why someone would say Curry having a season ending knee injury is great news.

Eddy Curry has been Coached wrong his entire career except for his last season with the Chicago Bulls when Scottie Pippin became part of the Bulls Coaching Staff and "6.11 Curry & 7.0 Chandler" became the first three quarters Frontcourt Force to reckon with. And having Rookies Deng or Nocioni at the SF spot made the Bulls oposition think twice about doubling Curry.

The Knicks Coaching Staff went hay wire at the hiring of HOF Coach Lenny Wilkins. And hiring the HOF Player Hater Coach Larry Brown a year after the USA Team condemed him as being finished really brought extreme havoc into the Knicks Coaching Staff and organization.

Curry best season in the NBA was when he played beside a Defensive PF in Chandler & Davis with a rebounding slasher SF Deng or Nocioni.

The Knicks got a defensive PF in Randolph Morris this offseason to play alongside Curry. And had three rebounding slasher SF in Lee, Balkman, and Chandler to play alongside of the Curry & Morris frontcourt.

When Portland drafted Center Greg Oden, and traded PF-Zach Randolph that draft night, then paid Francis a $30 million buy out.
What does that say about Zach Randolph? other than he is damage GOODS.

The Knicks coaching staff had two seasons to be knowledgable and wide aware of whom Eddy Curry needed beside him as his main PF for this 2007-8 season (Lee or Morris, or both together).
The conditions on the trade for Zach Randolph (and why Portland traded him) automatically put Zach Randolph in the position to come off the Knick bench alongside Balkman, Nate, and Chandler.

The poor defense that was shown from both Curry & Zach during the Preseason games, should've had the Knicks coaching-staff working with the frontcourt Tandem of Curry & Morris, and Zach & Morris.
That would've gave the Knicks the oportunity to run big lineups early in the season putting Lee at SF, and Balkman, Chandler, or Q.Rich as SG with Nate or Collins at the PG. By midseason lineups with Nate, Crawford, Q.Rich, Chandler, and Balkman, could've been dangerous 8 minute running lineups.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
let me know when the good part of this news comes out

If Randolph Morris plays more, then its great news. Im hopin we dont have to watch malik take stupid shots, and here whoevers broadcasting go on about his "leadership" and other great things that he supposedly brings

Datruth....do you post on sohh.com?

New New York

Quiet Storm
The only good news is that now atleast we can see Morris gets some burn, like someone has already said. But honestly the season is over, and at this point the only good news is if we land a top 3 pick in the draft, but there is really no news that is going to save this season....except ofcourse the dismissal of a certain GM and Coach.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
This is not good news. If Curry has season ending surgery, that means he won't be able to pass a physical, which means we'll most likely be stuck with Curry for the 2008-2009 season. In addition to Curry's knee problems, he also has heart problems, and as Paris correctly points out, he's a 300 lb. wide load. It was already gonna be hard to get rid of Curry, considering how much he's declined from last year.Now that he's having surgery to go along with it, it's going to be nearly impossible to trade him.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Curry's Injury

ABCD makes a good point. Curry's injury diminishes his trade value. It also makes it less likely that, for once, he will use the off season to get into shape.

He is young enough, if motivated enough, to change his body from fat to a defined fit and to increase his endurance by multiples in the off season. Now he has an excuse and will likely show up next year just as fat and soft as he is now. What a waste of talent.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I'm curious why someone would say Curry having a season ending knee injury is great news.

Eddy Curry has been Coached wrong his entire career except for his last season with the Chicago Bulls when Scottie Pippin became part of the Bulls Coaching Staff and "6.11 Curry & 7.0 Chandler" became the first three quarters Frontcourt Force to reckon with. And having Rookies Deng or Nocioni at the SF spot made the Bulls oposition think twice about doubling Curry.

The Knicks Coaching Staff went hay wire at the hiring of HOF Coach Lenny Wilkins. And hiring the HOF Player Hater Coach Larry Brown a year after the USA Team condemed him as being finished really brought extreme havoc into the Knicks Coaching Staff and organization.

Curry best season in the NBA was when he played beside a Defensive PF in Chandler & Davis with a rebounding slasher SF Deng or Nocioni.

The Knicks got a defensive PF in Randolph Morris this offseason to play alongside Curry. And had three rebounding slasher SF in Lee, Balkman, and Chandler to play alongside of the Curry & Morris frontcourt.

When Portland drafted Center Greg Oden, and traded PF-Zach Randolph that draft night, then paid Francis a $30 million buy out.
What does that say about Zach Randolph? other than he is damage GOODS.

The Knicks coaching staff had two seasons to be knowledgable and wide aware of whom Eddy Curry needed beside him as his main PF for this 2007-8 season (Lee or Morris, or both together).
The conditions on the trade for Zach Randolph (and why Portland traded him) automatically put Zach Randolph in the position to come off the Knick bench alongside Balkman, Nate, and Chandler.

The poor defense that was shown from both Curry & Zach during the Preseason games, should've had the Knicks coaching-staff working with the frontcourt Tandem of Curry & Morris, and Zach & Morris.
That would've gave the Knicks the oportunity to run big lineups early in the season putting Lee at SF, and Balkman, Chandler, or Q.Rich as SG with Nate or Collins at the PG. By midseason lineups with Nate, Crawford, Q.Rich, Chandler, and Balkman, could've been dangerous 8 minute running lineups.

If you want Curry to be the starting center, you need two things.

1. A defense oriented PF that can help out, rebound, and block a lot of shots.

2. A SF and SG that can hit from the outside (including 3 pointers) at a high enough percentage that it makes double teaming Curry very difficult.

The strategy is then to dump it into Curry and allow him to score his 20 or so points per night (like he started doing again as soon as Randolph was out) and to have him kick it out IF he gets doubled to someone that can actually hit from the outside in the upper 40% range.

The Knicks suffered badly for two reasons this year.

1. Randolph was the worst possible player to put next to Curry (even though he's a legit 20-10 guy and could be valuable elsewhere) because he shares many of Curry's weaknesses.

2. QRich couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and they have no SF that is a good outside shooter. Guys like Balkman are good, but not with a guy like Curry on the floor unless there are other good outside shooters on the court. Lee can't shoot from outside and Crawford takes way too many bad shots. We have none.

Randolph is a better all around player than Curry, but IMHO, if we can move Randolph and get either a dominant defensive PF or sharp shooting SF it would be better than getting rid of the wide load.

Morris is not the answer at PF (as someone suggested). He's a center. If he develops into a better player than Curry that's great. We can play him and bench Curry, but he's not really a PF.

Perhaps Chandler will develop into a good outside shooting SF.

That's what these last few games are about. We need to see what Morrris and Chandler can do so we know who to draft and what to trade for.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
ABCD makes a good point. Curry's injury diminishes his trade value. It also makes it less likely that, for once, he will use the off season to get into shape.

He is young enough, if motivated enough, to change his body from fat to a defined fit and to increase his endurance by multiples in the off season. Now he has an excuse and will likely show up next year just as fat and soft as he is now. What a waste of talent.
I know. Curry has the potential to be a top 5 center in the league. But he will never reach his potential, because he cares more about food and money than he does about basketball. In my opinion, if you're making millions of dollars and are on a team's starting lineup, the least you could do is stay in shape and give it 100% every night.But I guess this is asking too much from a guy that eats 50x more calories than he burns.I would have respect for Curry, if he weighed 20 pounds less and if he at least tried to play defense. But he doesn't, which is why I show no mercy, when it comes to criticizing Curry.

jzero29

Rotation player
We need Curry to play,

For one reason, he has to prove he has some sort of value so we can ditch his fat ass and his fat ass contract.
I do like that maybe Chandler and Morris will se more time because of this. Not so excited about Rose seeing more time. He's peeked he's done, it's over for him. If he didn't cost 8 mill per he could go play somewhere else and be a productive role player for a contender. But he is useless on this team. We don't need a defensive role player, we need a defensive stud.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Another evil thread. Besides the obvious reasons stated above that this injury further reduces Curry's trade value, to wish or cheer because a player on your team gets hurt is just wrong. Metro, I thought you were involved with boxing, so as a fellow athelete you cheer when another athelete has a major injury???? From your own team nonetheless??? Ever heard of a thing called KARMA???

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
If Randolph Morris plays more, then its great news. Im hopin we dont have to watch malik take stupid shots, and here whoevers broadcasting go on about his "leadership" and other great things that he supposedly brings

Datruth....do you post on sohh.com?

nah, i do post on boxden though but this is not good news, now curry will be home wit a cast eating all kinds of shyt wit no kinds of excersize

metrocard

Legend
Curry has no work ethic or passion for his profession; therefor as an athlete, someone who studies exercise and coaching and just an passionate Knick fan, I cannot respect Eddy. Anyone who respects or actually "likes" Curry obviously has no work ethic or passion for what they do themselves, and are also fat.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
nah, i do post on boxden though but this is not good news, now curry will be home wit a cast eating all kinds of shyt wit no kinds of excersize

my bad, there was sumone with a name similar to yours. I asked them if they listened to siagon and if they liked the Knicks, they said no.

Good posts from everyone except jimmy

jzero29

Rotation player
Evil? lets not get carried away

Another evil thread. Besides the obvious reasons stated above that this injury further reduces Curry's trade value, to wish or cheer because a player on your team gets hurt is just wrong. Metro, I thought you were involved with boxing, so as a fellow athelete you cheer when another athelete has a major injury???? From your own team nonetheless??? Ever heard of a thing called KARMA???
Sure is it wrong to cheer when someone gets hurt or to wish he did? Yes
But in this case, he's hurt, he's not dying. He hurt his knee, maybe his career will end, but not untill after he collects the near 31mil he has left on his contract. His life is barely affected by this event. I mean in the grand scheme of things. He is not getting thrown out of his house because he can't work to pay rent, he's collecting 31mill!!! So do i think it is good when I won't have to see the pathetic effort by curry night in and night out? Do i think I should cheer when I hear he won't be disgracing professional basket ball players anymore. The guy has a bad attitude. He can't stay out of foul trouble, and when he does manage to not get into foul trouble, he gets winded. He lacks hustle heart and desire. He is not some rookie who makes the NBA minimum, and needs to play to pay the bills. He's set for life. I'll cheer if I don't ever have to see him again in NY knicks uniform. It would have been nice for him to play and improve his trade value, but that means he'd not only have to be on the floor, but be on the floor and PLAY WELL. Not likely even with a good knee. SO yes for now I'll cheer if Chandler and Morris see a little more time a game.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
If you want Curry to be the starting center, you need two things.

1. A defense oriented PF that can help out, rebound, and block a lot of shots.

2. A SF and SG that can hit from the outside (including 3 pointers) at a high enough percentage that it makes double teaming Curry very difficult.

The strategy is then to dump it into Curry and allow him to score his 20 or so points per night (like he started doing again as soon as Randolph was out) and to have him kick it out IF he gets doubled to someone that can actually hit from the outside in the upper 40% range.

The Knicks suffered badly for two reasons this year.

1. Randolph was the worst possible player to put next to Curry (even though he's a legit 20-10 guy and could be valuable elsewhere) because he shares many of Curry's weaknesses.

2. QRich couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and they have no SF that is a good outside shooter. Guys like Balkman are good, but not with a guy like Curry on the floor unless there are other good outside shooters on the court. Lee can't shoot from outside and Crawford takes way too many bad shots. We have none.

Randolph is a better all around player than Curry, but IMHO, if we can move Randolph and get either a dominant defensive PF or sharp shooting SF it would be better than getting rid of the wide load.

Morris is not the answer at PF (as someone suggested). He's a center. If he develops into a better player than Curry that's great. We can play him and bench Curry, but he's not really a PF.

Perhaps Chandler will develop into a good outside shooting SF.

That's what these last few games are about. We need to see what Morrris and Chandler can do so we know who to draft and what to trade for.

The Knick Plan was supposed to be:
This past offseason Curry & Morris should've both been at Mark Aquire Bigman Gym to train together as a Tandem (and Frye & Morris too).
The outside peremeter shooting of SF-Chandler & SG-D.Nichols would have worked well with Frontcourt Curry & Morris with either Marbury, Nate, or Collins at the point-guard.

When we signed C/F-Randolph Morris last season that should've made the Knicks keep PF-Frye, and be able to use David Lee as a PF or SF at times this season (Jefferies, Q.Richardson, Malik, and James are the 12th to 15th Man on a roster the same way Francis is the 15th man on the Houston Rockets roster.).
Having a strong rebounding Tazman that could rebound and start a fastbreak when the Knick oposition is sleeping should've automatically made him the Knicks Starting SF. With Marbury & Crawford as the backcourt Starters.
The aquisition of Zach Randolph has to be the Top worst Knick trade of Isiah Thomas, worst than Marbury, Hardaway, Jalen Rose, and Francis.

The only Player that the Knicks badly needed this offseason after picking up Morris and Chandler was the NCAA 2nd best peremeter shooter SF/SG-Demetris Nichols (we should have just traded for his draft rights). His raw skillz and talent made his Knick teammates skillz better. And would've challenged every other peremeter shooter on this team in every practice this season.