The Walsh era has Begun!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3325211

NEW YORK -- Donnie Walsh is taking over the New York Knicks, and he's doing so on his terms.
An NBA source told ESPN.com on Wednesday that the Knicks yielded to Walsh's wishes on several key terms regarding authority and autonomy in reaching agreement on a four-year deal that installs Walsh as the new team president.
The Knicks are expected to introduce Walsh at a news conference at 1 p.m. ET.
Walsh will report directly to owner James Dolan, rather than to Madison Square Garden president Steve Mills, as was the arrangement under previous Knicks administrations.
Walsh will also have the authority to establish a new media policy, one that presumably will allow him -- and the Knicks' players -- to have full freedom of speech.
Less clear is the future of Knicks head coach Isiah Thomas, who was with the team in Memphis on Wednesday morning after New York (20-54 with eight games left) lost in overtime at Milwaukee on Tuesday night.
The hiring of Walsh means that Thomas has now been stripped of his team presidency, and the question of how -- or if -- the Knicks plan to part ways with Thomas the coach will be the first test of Walsh's leadership.
Sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith that Walsh is expected to retain Thomas for the time being. Thomas signed a long-term contract extension 13 months ago, and it is possible Dolan will want to keep him aboard in some capacity.
Walsh's contract is worth about $20 million over four years, although the final year is not fully guaranteed, a source close to the Knicks told ESPN.com.
Word of Walsh's hiring came a few hours after the Knicks' loss to the Bucks, but Thomas was asked following the game if he would have any regrets if his tenure as coach was about to end.
"No, I look back and I look at what we started with and where we're going and I think we have a very bright future," Thomas said.
Walsh recently announced he was leaving the Pacers after 24 years with the organization. He joined the Pacers' front office as general manager in 1986, became team president in 1988 and CEO in 2003. He helped the franchise rise from NBA laughingstock to title contender.
Indiana reached the Eastern Conference finals six times and won the Central Division four times during Walsh's stay as an executive. The Pacers reached the NBA Finals in 2000, when they lost to the Los Angeles Lakers, and had the league's best record in 2004.
"I've often, when I needed some basketball advice, he's on a short list of people that I pick up the phone and call around the league for just basketball matters," NBA commissioner David Stern said last week. "And he works and works and works."
Walsh has had a lesser role in recent years since the Pacers hired Larry Bird as their president in 2003. Walsh had previously said he wouldn't reveal any plans about his future until after the season.
The Knicks haven't won a playoff game since Thomas arrived as president in December 2003 and could be headed for the first 60-loss season in franchise history. Reports surfaced late last month that Dolan had preliminary talks with Walsh. Negotiations moved quickly, with the Knicks apparently interviewing only him.

Finally, the beginning of a new era in New York.

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
Finally!!!!!

Donnie, we are glad to have you in NY! I know and other fans know that you can help this team. Welcome back to New York Mr. Walsh.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I understand what you saying abcd, and I agree. but I personally aint cuttin him sh!t, he got 23 plus years of experience under is rep. He should have mentioned the fans more.

Walsh's wish list?posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: New York Knicks

At his introductory press conference as Knicks president, Donnie Walsh was correct in saying he'll sit down with Isiah Thomas and others before determining Zeke's fate. It's the polite, professional and, to use Walsh's word, "proper" thing to do.

But inside, Walsh has to realize that the culture surrounding the Knicks is too soiled, too contaminated to do anything but clean house and start anew. So Isiah must go.

While we don't have the final word yet on the future of Thomas and his VP of basketball operations, Glen Grunwald, it appears that Walsh will probably be looking to add a general manager and a new coach to his staff. That being the case, here are some the names Walsh should consider for the GM and coach positions.

In no particular order:

GM candidates
Billy King, former 76ers GM: King, who was fired in December after 10 seasons in Philadelphia, has been vindicated by the Sixers' impressive second-half surge into the playoffs. He traded Allen Iverson for Andre Miller, and he drafted Andre Iguodala, Louis Williams and Thaddeus Young. He also made the decision to hire coach Mo Cheeks, who's turned in one of the best performances of the year. He'd be great under Walsh and a good man to eventually succeed him.

David Griffin, Suns VP of basketball operations: Griffin helped build the juggernaut in Phoenix under Bryan Colangelo, and had strong input on the recent trade for Shaquille O'Neal. He's one of the game's brightest young minds and is on Milwaukee's short list of GM candidates.

Lance Blanks, Cavs assistant GM: The best places to find bright executives are within winning franchises, and Blanks has been with the best. He spent five seasons in San Antonio's front office, where he helped build the league's team of the decade. He's in his third season in Cleveland and helped pull off this year's trade deadline deal (Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, etc. …) that improved the Cavaliers yet maintained their future salary cap flexibility.

Kiki Vandeweghe, Nets interim GM: Kiki's track record in Denver is well known. The Nets want to keep him, but he knows the bright lights are on the other side of the Hudson River. He's also a former Knick.

Scott Perry, Sonics assistant GM: Perry worked in Detroit's front office for seven years before joining the Sonics this season. He was the Pistons' director of player personnel under Joe Dumars from 2002 to 2007, when Detroit reached five straight Eastern Conference finals. He played a major role in the drafting of Tayshaun Prince, Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson.

Chris Mullin, Warriors VP of basketball operations: Mullin's the Warriors' lead basketball guy, so who knows if he'd be willing to leave? But he is from New York, so the idea of resurrecting the Knicks would surely intrigue him. He knows how tough it can be to work in New York, but he'd be protected from media scrutiny under Walsh. Then, in a few years, he could take over.

Coach candidates
Mark Jackson, ABC broadcaster: Walsh hired former players (Larry Bird and Isiah Thomas) with no prior coaching experience in Indiana and both times it worked out pretty well (Zeke had a winning record as Indiana's coach). Jackson was a coach on the floor during his playing career, and he's a native New Yorker and a former Knick.

Tom Thibodeau, Celtics assistant coach: He's helped mold the Celtics' league-best defense as an assistant under Doc Rivers. Plus, he'd be a connection to the Knicks' last successful stint, as he was an assistant under Jeff Van Gundy in New York. Also worked under Van Gundy in Houston, so you know he's defense first.

Rick Carlisle, ESPN broadcaster: Carlisle's been successful in both places he's been -- Detroit and Indiana. As Walsh said, the Knicks do have talent, and Carlisle could get them playing close to their potential. He's a strong candidate for the Bulls job, which also is expected to be vacant.

Michael Curry, Pistons assistant coach: An NBA journeyman throughout his playing career, Curry's long been viewed as a great leader, and this year he's learning under one of the league's top offensive coaches, Flip Saunders.

Mike Budenholzer, Spurs assistant coach: Not sure if he'd be interested, but he's worth contacting. He's been an assistant in San Antonio for 12 years, so he's learned under the great Gregg Popovich and helped win four titles.

Paul Silas, former NBA coach: He was very successful in Charlotte/New Orleans, and considering Cleveland's youth, he did a good job there.

Scott Skiles, former NBA coach: Skiles has been a good coach, and his experiences in Phoenix and Chicago should make him better his third time around.

Terry Porter, Pistons assistant coach: Porter did a good job in Milwaukee, leading the Bucks to a stunning playoff run in his first season (2004). Injuries derailed his club the next year and he was unfairly fired.

Avery Johnson, Mavs assistant coach: Speculation is that Johnson could be in trouble if the Mavericks miss the playoffs. I'm not sure about that, but if he becomes available, he'd be high on my list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3325939&name=broussard_chris

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
All due respect, fans don't know shit! Have you read some of the threads on this site? The quality has diminished. All fans know is Thomas should go and Dolan should die. It's all emotion and very little rational thought. From a business stand point, Walsh did and said all the right things. He never came out and said he would fire Thomas or that he would keep him. He said only that he will have to sit down and talk to him and evaluate the situation. That's business. Although I think Thomas should be immediately fired and Herb Williams should replace him, Walsh played it straight.

Here are the most important key points of Walsh's speach.

I'm going to sit down with Isiah and have a very meaningful conversation on how we are where we are. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet with the players and the front office.

In three years we've got a chance to have flexibility in the cap and that to me is one thing we've got to protect. But in the mean time we've got to make this current team as competitive as we can make it and that's going to be the trick. You've got to resist the idea of giving longer term contracts.

So from this we can tell Walsh understands the depth of the Knicks situation. All eyes are watching to see what he does this summer.

nyKnicks126

donchris, so you are saying that Isiah knew what he was doing. Thats what you really said. I mean the fans were the first to bash on Isiah, and chanting him to be fired.

Additional all the guys at the front office, and the owner, are ONLY looking for one thing, and thats money. They don't give about if the fans are liking what they see or not.

Last edited:

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
There's nothing I can say about Isiah that hasn't already been said. The W's and L's speak for them selves. What I am saying is some fans are crazy. Fan is after all short for fanatic. If you read any forum, sports, politics, religion or what ever there is usually very few logical posts and a bunch of crazy emotion driven posts. Dolan and Thomas initially fell for the pressure of the 'Win not now but Right Now' of New York. You think fans can understand that this team is going to be bad for the next 3 to 5 years with very little chance of making the play offs? Fans will be calling for Walsh's head in two seasons.

nyKnicks126

Walsh I just don't think he can do it here. I want to be wrong, but I think that if what he promised, getting under the cap, and the 2010 Free agency was mentioned in the press conference. No plans to build a team around an elite player like LeBron James. Walsh has a good history, but said that he will talk with Dolan about all the plans, and moves he will make, thats good and all, but Dolan doesn't really no anything. His dad was the head of MSG, and his son unfortunately is now the owner....

dre48ny

Rotation player
In defense to many fans, at this point we all understand that this team is a mess. Many losses will come in the next 2 years, but they will be for a cause. The team will hopefully land a very good player and he will be part of the knicks' future success, there will be expiring contracts as well as older players leaving.

If the Knicks can't move Eddy Curry, Q-Rich, Jefferies or Z-bo, then we will just have to play with what we have. Their contracts will expire one day.

I strongly believe that Q-Rich and Jerome James be bought out if they can't be moved.

The whole key is to not add anymore sub-superstar players with fat contracts. The Knicks have not had a top 10 player in a very long time (Ewing)

I loved when Marbury came but he was not a top 10 player, Zach Randolph not a top 10.

With the exception of Detroit that amazingly has the right formula for team basketball, all other elite teams have a player that can take over the game consistently!! ( Night in and Night out)
The Knicks don't stand a chance next year anyway:
Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, and Almost all the Western Conference.

The Fans understand that we will suck for at least 2 years, we just need to make sure the problems are corrected and not made worst!!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac

I'm going to sit down with Isiah and have a very meaningful conversation on how we are where we are. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet with the players and the front office.

In three years we've got a chance to have flexibility in the cap and that to me is one thing we've got to protect. But in the mean time we've got to make this current team as competitive as we can make it and that's going to be the trick. You've got to resist the idea of giving longer term contracts.

So from this we can tell Walsh understands the depth of the Knicks situation. All eyes are watching to see what he does this summer.

I seen that red font somewhere.......

Donchris=Isiahthomas11

Agreed, that was what I got out of it as well. Talk is cheap though and if he keeps Isiah as coach Walsh loses all credibility.

I really hope we get Tom Thibadeau as coach to teach these guys how to play defense. I'm not sold on Mark Jackson.

Kiyaman

Legend
There's nothing I can say about Isiah that hasn't already been said. The W's and L's speak for them selves. What I am saying is some fans are crazy. Fan is after all short for fanatic. If you read any forum, sports, politics, religion or what ever there is usually very few logical posts and a bunch of crazy emotion driven posts. Dolan and Thomas initially fell for the pressure of the 'Win not now but Right Now' of New York. You think fans can understand that this team is going to be bad for the next 3 to 5 years with very little chance of making the play offs? Fans will be calling for Walsh's head in two seasons.

Donchris, very well said. Isiah went after WINS his first month hired by the Knicks. That was the first time in Knick History that the fan base was low in MSG, and season ticket holders did not renew their tickets by December 2003. So Layden was Fired and Isiah was Hired. Isiah filled the seats in MSG by trading for hometown favorite 20/8 Starbury. Right move for bussiness, but wrong move for the future of the Knick organization.

Do Donnie Walsh know what he is getting into?
In December 2008 the hungry New York media wolves will be all over Walsh if the Knicks are not a .500 team. Walsh have to do something this offseason with the Lottery pick, and with the players that consist of a 20-win season roster. Boss Dolan will give Walsh all kinds of priviledges that other Presidents dont have, especially after that first positive interview.

It's been a long time since we heard some postive speakers for this Knick organization on an interview.

GTKnicksFAN

Benchwarmer
i mean he could have mentioned the fans more but he did mention the fans he said something like this ... making the knicks a strong and proud organization again would be good for NY( economy all that good stuff) the NBA and for the city the fans ... im happy thats the knicks have some new star power and not that faggot Isiah!

I understand what you saying abcd, and I agree. but I personally aint cuttin him sh!t, he got 23 plus years of experience under is rep. He should have mentioned the fans more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3325939&name=broussard_chris

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Wait a second so us FANS are always right?

Wasn't us fans excited about the following moves intially:

1. Hiring Isiah Thomas
2. Hiring Larry Brown
3. Letting Thomas Coach
4. Trading For Z. Bo

Fact of the matter is the fans and often times myself included are way to quick to make judgements. So why the hell aren't you happy you got a president that is going to take his time to fully evaluate the situation. And yes that even means talking to that piece of shit Thomas. So don't be talking about how Donnie Walsh is confused or he has no credibility. Very few people on this site are credible and as DonChris said you are way too emotional in your thought process. I think everybody who has watched this team knows Isiah should be the first to go, haha does that qualify you to be a GM??? Just cause you ca put 2 and 2 together don't make you a rocket scientist.

I never thought i woud say this, but DonChris is absolutely right on this one. Donnie Walsh knows damn well fans hate Isiah, however he is not going to change who he is for their sake. For 20 somard years he has been respected across the league and one of the hallmarks of his character is his mutual respect for EVERYBODY. Like DonChris said, he neither implied keeping or firing isiah. Instead he is being 100% professional and is going to sit down face to face with the bitch called Zeke and give him his due respect. Regardless of how you feel about Isiah thats not what matters, like Stephen A Smith said, Walsh is gonna fire Isiah's ass regardless.

And to further comment on what Walsh said, he also mentioed he will be opening up the media policy at the garden. This seems like a step in the right direction, I'm so sick of fat ass dolan policing everything.

Second he mentions how there are good pieces on this team. You guys are so quick to write players off. ASK ANY COACH in the NBA and they will tell you the Kniucks have pieces. There tarde value might be lower cause they are playing on a losing team. I grant you that 85% percent of the Knicks contracts are immovable. However, When you want to point your fingers at just Crawford ad Randolph for this season you are either retarded, stupid or having gay sex with MSG and Metro Tard on the weekends.

Jamal and and Z. Bo are horrible defensively. I will not argue against that, however they are offensive "role" players. To say that Jamal is the worst SG and Zach is no good is being delusional.

Instead you must understand that these guys are coached and and play alongside GARBAGE. First you got Zeke who does not run any plays, so the offense is a mess to start off with. The only players on the knicks that can make plays on the knicks are Jamal Crawford, Zach Randolph and Nate Robinson. So they are going to have the ball on every play.
Second you have lim ited offenisve capability from these guys: Lee, Balkman, Jeffries, Collins. Along with players this season who are struggling or just getting started: Q-Rich, Wilson Chandler, Malik Rose and Randolph Morris. And of course here is your scrub list: Curry, Jerome James

In short: Crawford is a 6th man player at best. However, in that role he can be very effective and with the right coaching can be efficient. Thats what Larry Brown enabled him to do. Think of the Role Stackhouse plays he is instant offense that comes in when your starting scorers come out.

As for Z. Bo I say hes a decent player that is on the wrong team. David lee needs to start for this team so he can reach his full potential. Zach Randolph is a tradeable commodity, Low post scoring and rebounding can help a lot of teams that have good team defense. Think of Chris Webber when he was on the Pistons.

So If I'm walsh heres what I see could be done:

2. Trade Zach Randolph for a decent STARTING shooting guard.
3. See whos available at Center in the draft and of course take rose if you can get him.
4. Let MARBURY PLAY. Hes in the last year of his contract as well as the last chance he has to leave a good impression in New York. If there a time for him to have a good season its next year. Let him expire.
5. Rid Yourself of a SF you got a logjam here with: Chandler, Q-Rich, Balkman and Jeffries.
6. Try to move Curry. Its gonna be hard, cause his trade value has plummeted. But if you can just get a decent draft pick or help your cap situation then i say pull the trigger.

Potential 2008-2009 Lineup:

1. Marbury
2. ?????? (Acquired for Randolph)
3. Quentin Richardson
4. David Lee
5. Draft Pick

Second Unit: (Uptempo)

1. Robinson
2. Jamal Crawford
3. Wilson Chandler
4. Jared Jeffries
5. ?????? (Acquired for Curry)

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Second he mentions how there are good pieces on this team. You guys are so quick to write players off. ASK ANY COACH in the NBA and they will tell you the Kniucks have pieces. There tarde value might be lower cause they are playing on a losing team. I grant you that 85% percent of the Knicks contracts are immovable. However, When you want to point your fingers at just Crawford ad Randolph for this season you are either retarded, stupid or having gay sex with MSG and Metrocard on the weekends.

Bleedred is irrelevant to knicksonline. If you came on here more often you would know that all of the blame goes to Isiah. Metro hates Isiah more then anyone i know. i hate isiah too but metro called everything from the beginning. Give him his credit or bleed red fag.

We criticize individual posters but both of us have stated several times that Isiah deserves 100% if the blame, unless you include Dolan. Isiah brought every player here to new york which is why everything falls on him. This is his team that he created.

smh @ kids randomly callin me out, originalknicksgrandson just got ethered for that. When your the best, you get a target on you. Metro and I have big red targets on here. Stop bein a jealous bitch. You have 21 posts in 2 years, thats about 10 posts a year. You have no right to be callin us out. I dont care if i get called out with someone who has credentials but you aint sh1t on here, stop thinkin your important. Maybe your a good person who helps people and has an impact in real life but as far as on here goes no one would notice if you stopped posting.

If i was a mod i would ban you little kids for disrespectin the legends. Ill stomp everyone of you and gun you down in front of your family with the GOLD MAC 10.

knicksfancris

Benchwarmer
Bleedred is irrelevant to knicksonline. If you came on here more often you would know that all of the blame goes to Isiah. Metro hates Isiah more then anyone i know. i hate isiah too but metro called everything from the beginning. Give him his credit or bleed red fag.

We criticize individual posters but both of us have stated several times that Isiah deserves 100% if the blame, unless you include Dolan. Isiah brought every player here to new york which is why everything falls on him. This is his team that he created.

smh @ kids randomly callin me out, originalknicksgrandson just got ethered for that. When your the best, you get a target on you. Metro and I have big red targets on here. Stop bein a jealous bitch. You have 21 posts in 2 years, thats about 10 posts a year. You have no right to be callin us out. I dont care if i get called out with someone who has credentials but you aint sh1t on here, stop thinkin your important. Maybe your a good person who helps people and has an impact in real life but as far as on here goes no one would notice if you stopped posting.

If i was a mod i would ban you little kids for disrespectin the legends. Ill stomp everyone of you and gun you down in front of your family with the GOLD MAC 10.
you are such a fucking nerd big fucking deal that you are a knicksonline legend shit me let people say what they have to say i dont talk a whole lot but i read everbody post and just give my opinion and i respect all of the good poster here like metro abc and everbody u just to fool of shit and stay of metro dick man like i know he the best poster but shit get of his dick

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
"Stop bein a jealous bitch. You have 21 posts in 2 years, thats about 10 posts a year."
Its called having a life and choosing you battles wanksta.... and you and metro talk way too much about sucking dick to be calling me a fag. Seriously both of you girls need to come out of the basement closet where you reside.

As far as I'm concerned I don't care how old you are, your the one who sounds like a kid when you make lame ass comments like
Quote "Ill stomp everyone of you and gun you down in front of your family with the GOLD MAC 10."

Oh you a real tough guy making threats on the internet. DMX is probably your real father and if he was around he would probably pop your stupid ass for jocking his style. Bitch Ass Conneticut wanksta quit catching feelings. I'm beginning to think the "Gold Mac 10" is really Metro's dick so just let it go. I believe the circus is coming to the garden this april, i'll see you there clown.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
you are such a fucking nerd big fucking deal that you are a knicksonline legend shit me let people say what they have to say i dont talk a whole lot but i read everbody post and just give my opinion and i respect all of the good poster here like metro abc and everbody u just to fool of shit and stay of metro dick man like i know he the best poster but shit get of his dick

you cant even spell that good. I aint tryin to be a legend, it just happens that im one of the top 2 posters on here. Most would say Metro and I are the best posters. You dont believe me read "The Truth" thread. I dont give a f*ck about being the best. Im here to post what i have to say and educate kids like you. I just happen to be one of the best, a legend. Who the f*ck asked you for your opinion lil puzzy boy? I wasnt talkin to you, i was talkin to that other kid bleedred or whatever his name is. Show some respect for the person who makes the best game threads on the internet, the person who shut down several posters and retired a few. sucka dick no homo f*ck outta here.

"Stop bein a jealous bitch. You have 21 posts in 2 years, thats about 10 posts a year."
Its called having a life and choosing you battles wanksta.... and you and metro talk way too much about sucking dick to be calling me a fag. Seriously both of you girls need to come out of the basement closet where you reside.

As far as I'm concerned I don't care how old you are, your the one who sounds like a kid when you make lame ass comments like
Quote "Ill stomp everyone of you and gun you down in front of your family with the GOLD MAC 10."

Oh you a real tough guy making threats on the internet. DMX is probably your real father and if he was around he would probably pop your stupid ass for jocking his style. Bitch Ass Conneticut wanksta quit catching feelings. I'm beginning to think the "Gold Mac 10" is really Metro's dick so just let it go. I believe the circus is coming to the garden this april, i'll see you there clown.

lol @ u sayin wanksta. If your still sayin the word wanksta, you aint older then me. Stop tryin to act grown son. I aint swagger jackin no one, I have an original style. Your just another conformed kid who copys what most of society is doin. The only problem is your 7 years late, wanksta is no longer relevant. Its easy 2 see whos catchin feelings, i never seen you post in this way. U mad?? Stop gettin emotional on the internet, get yourself a paper towel or sumthin to wipe away those tears with. You and your girlfriend knicksfanPiss need to stop suckin each other off, read my posts, and learn sumthin.

I didnt start nothin with either of you d*ck suckas. Both yall called me out, msg33 the legend. I put in alotta work on here with my game threads so that idiots like the 2 of you can learn sumthin. I am knicksonline.com, forget about the mods only Metro is up at the top with me. Bow down to the kings.

Like i told originalknicksgrandson (who is officially now my son) you better have some credentials if your gonna call me out for no reason. You better be Metrocard, knicks126, abcd, starks, kiyaman, even donchris. Little boys like you need to continue to play your games while i do my business. Sucka dick no homo fuck outta here.