Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Artest is never going to happen

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Talent wise, Artest would be a nice addition, but let's not forget that he's a bit of a head case. We've got enough odd personalities on this team. We need some even temperament players. I'd like to see some one like Elton Brand on the team. He's got a good attitude and leadership qualities. That's what we need. Artest is talented but he's far from a leader. If we can get a point guard and a few grunt players to help on defense, Zach's 20+ points and 10 boards along with Crawford's 20+ points will win us games.

Originally Posted by MSGKnickz33
    Does it bother you that some knicks fans still want to see Artest in a Knicks uniform? Im not sure why your gettin so upset about this, what'd these players do to you?
    IMHO, there is a reason the Spurs have won so many championships that goes beyond the talent and skills of the players.

It has to do with hard work, teamwork, being more interested in winning than individual stats or contracts, character, intelligence, decent chemistry between the players on and off the court etc.... PLUS TALENT.

I don't have any bad feelings towards people that want to see Artest or anyone else in a Knicks uniform. I just strongly disagree with them about how to put together a championship caliber team. In fact, I feel sorry for Artest in particular because I recently read that he's under the care of doctors for his emotional problems and taking medication (not sure how true it is). If true, his past behavior is not even really his fault. Perhaps the care is why he's behaving better. I would still prefer we bring in players without that kind of baggage or extra risk.

I'm not sure what Walsh is going to do with all our really bad contracts like ZBO, Jeffries, James etc... or Marbury in particular because his expires at the end of next year. I just hope he slowly improves our future and avoids doing stupid things that make us a little better next year but cripple our chances of winning it all 3-5 years from now.

We are at least 3 all star caliber players away from being serious contenders. In other words, we are a team of role players.

1. We have a chance to get one in the draft for next year.

2. As some bad contracts expire and get close to expiring we might be in a position to have enough cap space to make a trade or sign a franchise player in a couple of years.

3. Maybe we'll still be a lottery team next year, make a lucky trade (like LA did this year for Gasol), or get a late first rounder or second rounder that just happens to pan out.

4. Maybe Lee will develop a solid outside shot in the offseason or Chandler will blossom.

Whatever happens, this is going to be a 3-4 year project and it's going to involve getting rid of disruptive personalities and bringing in a lot of new talent.
    Last edited by knicklover; Apr 03, 2008 at 15:51.

Originally Posted by knicklover
    IMHO, there is a reason the Spurs have won so many championships that goes beyond the talent and skills of the players.

It has to do with hard work, teamwork, being more interested in winning than individual stats or contracts, character, intelligence, decent chemsitry between the players on and off the court etc.... PLUS TALENT.

I don't have any bad feelings towards people that want to see Artest or anyone else in a Knicks uniform. I just strongly disagree with them about how to put together a championship caliber team. In fact, I feel sorry for Artest in particular because I recently read that he's under the care of doctors for his emotional problems. It's not his fault. Perhaps that's why he's behaving better. I would still prefer we bring in players without that kind of baggage or extra risk.

I'm not sure what Walsh is going to do with all our really bad contracts like ZBO, Jeffries, James etc... or Marbury in particular because his expires at the end of next year. I just hope he slowly improves our future and avoids doing stupid things that make us a little better next but cripple our chances of winning it all 3-5 years from now.

We are at least 3 all star caliber players away from being serious contenders. In other words, we are a team of role players.

1. We have a chance to get one in the draft for next year.

2. As some bad contracts expire and get close to expiring we might be in a position to have enough cap space to make a trade or sign a franchise player in a couple of years.

3. Maybe we'll still be a lottery team next year, make a lucky trade (like LA did this year for Gasol), or get a late first rounder or second rounder that just happens to pan out.

4. Maybe Lee will develop a solid outside shot in the offseason or Chandler will blossom.

Whatever happens, this is going to be a 3-4 year project and it's going to involve getting rid of disruptive personalities and bringing in a lot of new talent.
    I agree with most of your post. It is going to take time to rebuild this team. I dont think it hurts to have a player or 2 with behavior problems, but anymore then that and your askin for trouble. The Pistons won the championship with Rasheed Wallace being a big part of the reason why. Bruce Bowen is a bad person. What do Rasheed and Bowen have in common? A strong desire to win, they're passionate players and so is Artest. I wouldnt go out of my way to get Artest especially at this point. If we were able to get him and remove a bad contract I would welcome him to NY. As i said in my previous post, i do not believe he wouldve made a big difference had we gotten him before the trade deadline. Its not his fault, i blame this isiah for the terrible construction of the team. In other words, Artest mite make a small difference but what needs to happen first is players like Curry, z-bo, and crawford all need to be traded for short term/expiring contracts. Like you said, the knicks have to rebuilt for real this time. It mite take 2 to 3 years but i want a team that can compete for a long time, not a team that will be good for a couple years.

I have to admit that I am glad that Artest isn't going to play for New York. I never liked the idea in the first place. But even if you actually like the man and believe that he is a changed man (his daughter has kidney cancer and only one kidney) there is one thing you should take into consideration: Like this rather heated debate shows, Knicks-fans have fundamentally different opinions on Artest. He polarises opinions and that is really something this ball club has had enough of in the last few years.

Originally Posted by pat
    I have to admit that I am glad that Artest isn't going to play for New York. I never liked the idea in the first place. But even if you actually like the man and believe that he is a changed man (his daughter has kidney cancer and only one kidney) there is one thing you should take into consideration: Like this rather heated debate shows, Knicks-fans have fundamentally different opinions on Artest. He polarises opinions and that is really something this ball club has had enough of in the last few years.
    Thats wrong to downplay the seriousness of artests daughters kidney cancer by sayin only one kidney. Every player has there haters so no matter what theres goin to be different opinions. Do you remember the kobe bryant talk from before the season? There was some of us who didnt want him. Including myself i have seen a couple people on here criticize dwayne wade.

Originally Posted by MSGKnickz33
    Thats wrong to downplay the seriousness of artests daughters kidney cancer by sayin only one kidney. Every player has there haters so no matter what theres goin to be different opinions. Do you remember the kobe bryant talk from before the season? There was some of us who didnt want him. Including myself i have seen a couple people on here criticize dwayne wade.
    No man, it makes things actually worse! If she had to kidneys they could take one out!

As far as the haters are concerned: Duncan and Steve Nash have remarkably littel, or Lebron.

Originally Posted by pat
    No man, it makes things actually worse! If she had to kidneys they could take one out!

As far as the haters are concerned: Duncan and Steve Nash have remarkably littel, or Lebron.
    my bad, i misinterpreted you. I dont like Lebron but as player its hard to criticize him. Same goes for Duncan, KG, and chris paul.

Superstar

I am sick and tired of people bringing up Thugs and all that other **** when talking about knick players and in this instance artest. He's not a Thug. He may have had some headcase issues when he was younger, but not a thug, c'mon now. And who on the Knicks roster now you know is ****in bangin in da streets?? c'mon now, stop with the personal attacks on these men, when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. You sound like these idiot reporters on tv when they talk about stuff they don't know.

Artest came into Indiana and the pacers became one of the best teams in the NBA period. with all the headcase issues, he was still able to make that team better than it was previously. And you can call him a detractor or a virus or whatever you want, the fact of the matter is, when nearly his ENTIRE team has your back in a fight, even though the situation is ****ed up, but it shows unity. It shows that for a biblical term, They are their brothers keeper. Remember it was Stephen Jackson Jermain O'neil (two of the bigger stars of that team) who went out on a limb for Artest. Now I bring that point up not to distinguish him for fighting or to glorify his role in the fight, but as a point that this Knick team would need somebody like that. THis team has no FIRE, no BackBone, they are pussies, they don't even have respect for themselves. If you don't see how a player like Artest can change that fact you are blind.

Artest came into Sacremento, when that team had fallen from grace. The team that should have been to at least 2 NBA Finals were just a shell of their former selves, they were slipping in the West and going to ****. Then Artest arrived mid season and turned the entire team around and took them to the playoffs. Make no mistake that it was artest who was responsible for that surge.

The Knicks need a player like Artest, period! There is no logical reason a team that has no semblence of perimeter defense, heart, motivation, or love for the game, would not want a player who has all these traits. NONE.

As far as buying out Marbury, WHY? One he can still play, 2. that expiring Contract can be used to get someone worthwhile, like the Lakers did to get Pau Gasol. Just letting him go, just because is crazy. This season, I am going to say was a ****ed up for Marbury, from pre-season he wasn't the same marbs as we saw in the 06-07 season. (That's why you don't let Jesus in your life until AFTER you retire lol) anyway things continued and the season was a waste. I still believe he has a signigicant role to play in the Knicks upcoming season. whether it be with his play on the court, or b4 the trade deadline . The knicks would be foolish to buy him out.,

Originally Posted by lilman_bklyn
    I am sick and tired of people bringing up Thugs and all that other **** when talking about knick players and in this instance artest. He's not a Thug. He may have had some headcase issues when he was younger, but not a thug, c'mon now. And who on the Knicks roster now you know is ****in bangin in da streets?? c'mon now, stop with the personal attacks on these men, when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. You sound like these idiot reporters on tv when they talk about stuff they don't know.

Artest came into Indiana and the pacers became one of the best teams in the NBA period. with all the headcase issues, he was still able to make that team better than it was previously. And you can call him a detractor or a virus or whatever you want, the fact of the matter is, when nearly his ENTIRE team has your back in a fight, even though the situation is ****ed up, but it shows unity. It shows that for a biblical term, They are their brothers keeper. Remember it was Stephen Jackson Jermain O'neil (two of the bigger stars of that team) who went out on a limb for Artest. Now I bring that point up not to distinguish him for fighting or to glorify his role in the fight, but as a point that this Knick team would need somebody like that. THis team has no FIRE, no BackBone, they are pussies, they don't even have respect for themselves. If you don't see how a player like Artest can change that fact you are blind.

Artest came into Sacremento, when that team had fallen from grace. The team that should have been to at least 2 NBA Finals were just a shell of their former selves, they were slipping in the West and going to ****. Then Artest arrived mid season and turned the entire team around and took them to the playoffs. Make no mistake that it was artest who was responsible for that surge.

The Knicks need a player like Artest, period! There is no logical reason a team that has no semblence of perimeter defense, heart, motivation, or love for the game, would not want a player who has all these traits. NONE.

As far as buying out Marbury, WHY? One he can still play, 2. that expiring Contract can be used to get someone worthwhile, like the Lakers did to get Pau Gasol. Just letting him go, just because is crazy. This season, I am going to say was a ****ed up for Marbury, from pre-season he wasn't the same marbs as we saw in the 06-07 season. (That's why you don't let Jesus in your life until AFTER you retire lol) anyway things continued and the season was a waste. I still believe he has a signigicant role to play in the Knicks upcoming season. whether it be with his play on the court, or b4 the trade deadline . The knicks would be foolish to buy him out.,
    The season was f*cked up for Marbury but i dont think it has anything to do with him lettin jesus into his life. It was the lives of 3 people he was close to including his father, and his ******* coach isiah thomas.

Great post lilman bklyn, one of the best jobs Ive seen of defendin Artest. You made a good point about how his teammates backed him up in the Pistons Pacers brawl. F*ck anyone whoever called him a thug for what he did, he was just defendin himself. If i had people throwin stuff at me no matter what the situation is theres only so much i can take of that. Maybe Artest was a thug growin up in Queens but in the NBA hes far from being a thug. People dont even know the real definition of a thug. F*ck every analyst and ***** fan who uses the word. There is no way were gettin Artest now that Donnie Walsh is the gm but to all the haters you already know what you can do. And again, great job lilman bklyn.

Artest is the last thing we need at this point
    We Have enough thugs already.

I can't believe what I am reading. Artest was defending himself. What Artest did was the biggest b#%ch move eva. The truth is three second before he went it to the stands he was Yolked by Ben Wallace who chucked him so far he almost fell over a scorers table. Instead of going after Wallace because he knew he would have caught a beating. He went after an easy target some idiot in the stands who hit him with a beer.

Veteran

Where was Ron Artest declared a headache case?
    not in St. Johns college.
    not on the Chicago Bulls or the Sacremento Kings.
    It was Walsh & Isiah Indiana Pacers.
    Those whom want to refute this, need to recall the kicking of the monitor in MSG, thanks to Isiah Thomas poor coaching of the Pacers that game inwhich let PG-Ward, SG-Houston, SF-Sprewell, and C-Kurt Thomas completely take control of the 2nd half of that Knick vs Pacer game at MSG for a Knick Win.
    After that Pacers loss Ron Artest demanded or forced a change in Isiah Thomas poor coaching style by going back to his Point-Foward style in St. Johns transition game alongside of C-Brad Miller on defense which forced Jermain O'Neal to join into their defensive transition game. Artest took over the PG duties (like Lebron) everytime he or Brad Miller grabbed a defensive rebound, blocked a shot, or stole the ball, Artest would get the ball and start a fastbreak with Brad Miller.
    Ron Artest became the Pacers playmaker, Leader, and creative offense/defense player. That is how Ron Artest became an "All-Star" player and the winner of the "Defensive Player of the Year".
    Artest little shove or slap to Ben Wallace after sealing the win for the Pacers in the Detroit Brawl, was nothing more than a fake punch saying I'm going to Win the Defensive Player of the year this season too (from the player whom won it two seasons in a row). Ben Wallace response trickered the angry Detroit Fan over the loss to throw his beer on the Player of the game.

The NJ Nets Coach Byron Scott proved in two straight seasons just how poor the Pacers Coach Isiah Thomas coaching was in both playoff series by only letting Isiah win two games in two seasons. So the Firing of Walsh Pacers coach Isiah Thomas for a post season coach Rick Carlilise was a very wise move by Larry Bird.
    Walsh not resigning Brad Miller was a very dum move.
    Walsh telling the Press that Artest asked for some time off during the regular season to produce his Rap record was another dum move.

So Knick-Fans, please be aware of "Donnie Walsh" he has yet to show any luv for N.Y. (He and Isiah are all Indiana).
    Donnie Walsh best teams while running the Indiana Pacers had New York product players as Starters "Mark Jackson" and "Ron Artest".
    The Jordan Bulls had to stick Pippin on Mark Jackson throughout an entire post season series so the Bulls would be able to Win.
    Walsh let coach Larry Brown criticize and embarrased Mark Jackson to the media the entire season. That is why Mark Jackson refuse to resign with the Pacers and came back to the Knicks to retire.
    Last edited by Kiyaman; Apr 07, 2008 at 09:11.

Originally Posted by stevie
    I can't believe what I am reading. Artest was defending himself. What Artest did was the biggest b#%ch move eva. The truth is three second before he went it to the stands he was Yolked by Ben Wallace who chucked him so far he almost fell over a scorers table. Instead of going after Wallace because he knew he would have caught a beating. He went after an easy target some idiot in the stands who hit him with a beer.
    Your the biggest bitch ass P*ssy on knicksonline. Your explanation of what happened is way off and it clearly shows you have a personal hatred towards ron artest. Ben Wallace pushed Artest's face and he still didnt fall down. Most players would have, that shove was harder then the punch mardy took from Carmello.

That foul wasnt even that bad, Ben Wallace started the whole fight and Artest gets suspended the whole season? F*ck David Stern and anyone who agrees with the length of Artests suspension. Artest tried to get at Ben Wallace but he was held back. He was tryin to avoid makin things worse by laying on the scorers table, his way of tryin to calm himself down until he was hit by the beer.

I still dont blame Artest for reactin the way he did, he was already pissed. Unless your a ***** you know its very tough to control yourself when your already pissed and someone does sumthin else to you. Ben Wallace woulda gotten snuffed, dont f*ck with artest. Props to Jermaine oneal, stephen jackson, and all the other pacer teammates who stuck up for each other. Thats what a real teams about, playing together and defendin each other. Who knows how far the pacers woulda gone had this never happened. I liked that team alot, obviously not as much as the Knicks but they were probally my 2nd favorite team and i was upset to see them split up.

This is for anyone else whos like Stevie and forgot how the pistons pacers brawl went down:

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Artest's 2nd sport is boxing.

Artest is has more weight, and is the same height as Wallace.

Artest would basically kill Ben Wallace one on one on a fight. Only homo thugs think Wallace is Kimbo status.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Artest's 2nd sport is boxing.

Artest is has more weight, and is the same height as Wallace.

Artest would basically kill Ben Wallace one on one on a fight. Only homo thugs think Wallace is Kimbo status.
    Not too many can F*ck with Artest. Stevie Urkel is a pusssy and a homo thug.