Donnie: Marbury is a key player

metrocard

Legend
April 4, 2008 -- NEW ORLEANS - Stephon Marbury Stephon Marbury sounded like he was doing cartwheels yesterday as he praised owner James Dolan for hiring Donnie Walsh as president and removing Isiah Thomas from power. Marbury now likely will outlast his feuding partner.

The rehabbing Marbury, who is not traveling with the club, told The Post by phone that Walsh brings three things Thomas did not bring - a New York sensibility, a vast amount of managerial experience and the truth.

Marbury also knows Walsh's presence means he has a legitimate chance of remaining with the club next season in the final year of his contract, with Thomas on the verge of getting the boot from the bench after the season.

"I really want to sit down with [Marbury] at some point," Walsh said. "I know he was injured. I know about what happened earlier in the season. I do want to sit down and know what the issues are because he's a good player. I don't know where Marbury is and he's a key player."

The feud between Thomas and Marbury that came to a head in Phoenix in November set an awful tone. Thomas tried to remove Marbury from the starting lineup after five games with the team at 2-3. Ironically, Thomas has repeatedly blamed the season's failures on Marbury playing in just 24 games, even though he tried to remove him.

"I obviously wasn't in Isiah's plans," Marbury said. "He talked about the guards going to be here next year. Maybe I'll be in Donnie's plans. If not, it will bother me not to play basketball here. I feel I got something to prove. I feel like I'm motivated in a different aspect after what I went through this year. I don't want to play anywhere else. I feel I have five years left at a high level. I'm 31, not 40."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04042008/sp...htm?page=2

That means Walsh won't trade him. He made it clear that he wants to rebuild and want to protect the cap space. Marbury is a 20 million expiring contract so he is a key piece.

I always said that Marbury can be elite on a team where he's allowed to play his game and not have to be a spotup shooter in a offense that forces the ball to Chubby and Fat Zach.

Kiyaman

Legend
Metro, thats bad you posted this 6 minutes before I posted it.

You have to give Walsh his props in knowing that Marbury is the "Key-Player" next season on this team.
Keeping and giving Marbury starter status next season means that Marbury must participate in the Knicks Summer League Team alongside of whomever the Knicks draft with Chandler. WHY? Marbury missed all of the second half of this season healthy.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
kiyaman take another cheap shot at marbury......

Anyone who saw the Marbury interview after the ban was liften knows that hes ready to play and hes ready to win. His past is his past but you can see the passion in his eyes, after everything hes been through with isiah (no homo) he can easily cry and demand a trade like many b*tches have done (see paul pierce), but hes sayin that he still wants to be a member of the Knicks and he wants to win. With a large expiring contract, it only makes sense to let him be the starting point guard.

Metros rite, Marbury needs to be allowed to play his game. I hate hearing the "not a true point guard" crap, thats a bunch of bull. Marburys like Chris Paul but not as good. He scores, defends, and sets up his teammates. Look at all the years Marbury averaged 20 and 8. Maybe he slowed down some, probally not much but mentally hes in a better place then he ever was. We will see Starbury next year. Haters already know what they can do.

Kiyaman

Legend
kiyaman take another cheap shot at marbury......

Anyone who saw the Marbury interview after the ban was liften knows that hes ready to play and hes ready to win. His past is his past but you can see the passion in his eyes, after everything hes been through with isiah (no homo) he can easily cry and demand a trade like many b*tches have done (see paul pierce), but hes sayin that he still wants to be a member of the Knicks and he wants to win. With a large expiring contract, it only makes sense to let him be the starting point guard.

Metros rite, Marbury needs to be allowed to play his game. I hate hearing the "not a true point guard" crap, thats a bunch of bull. Marburys like Chris Paul but not as good. He scores, defends, and sets up his teammates. Look at all the years Marbury averaged 20 and 8. Maybe he slowed down some, probally not much but mentally hes in a better place then he ever was. We will see Starbury next year. Haters already know what they can do.

msg, quit with all that one sided LUV for Marbury, I think thats the only side of you that members dislike about you. Everything else about you is cool.
Plus check out what I said in the Post I put up on this subject.
Your boy Marbury main problem is his Offseason vacation away from all his teammates untill training camp begins. That is why so many PG by passed Marbury in "team-skillz" and "co-existing chemistry with teammates".
Marbury can not demand a trade after he did it the first time and bought a Franchise down instead of up (N.J. Nets). NBA teams brass would have a big laugh about Marbury demanding a trade after his 4 seasons with the Knicks.

In one post I made on JO trade to the Knicks in another Knick Forum I did say that Marbury & JO would compliment each other with a SF like the Tazman and Chandler for a Winning season.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Marbury is a key player. The key is to buy his expiring contract out and send him packing. Walsh stated he plans to sit down and talk to the players and office staff. What do you think the players will say about Marbury, Greatest point guard in the league or uncoachable non-team player? The dick riding is typical considering who started the thread. Marbury groupies are like gay cockroaches.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Donnie Walsh's said that his biggest goal is to get salary cap relief in 2010 and that within that time, he wants to put a competitive team on the floor without adding salary.
Depending on who we draft in the lottery - say for sake of argument - say we get lucky and draft Rose - then marbury's contract will be bought out.
Say if we don't draft a PG - then Donnie will sign Marbury to the veteran's minimum. Marbury wants to stay in NY. He will accept it even though he may get more elsewhere. This will atleast give the knicks a decent PG for cheap, maintaining their competitiveness. If marbury is allowed to play his game - he will be the baller we all know him to be. He is only 31 - and he definitely has the tools and skills to still play at a high level in the NBA. If he has to play the way the new coach wants him to play - then he will still be decent and much better than any other player on the knicks right now at point.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I think keeping Marbury for next year is great. The Knicks keep an expiring contract, and they keep a player that can score and pass. Marbury is the best player on the team, and he's the best point guard on the team. I can see Marbury averaging at least 16 points and 6 assists, next year. And if the new coach lets Marbury go all out, he might even aveage 18 points and 8 assists.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
msg, quit with all that one sided LUV for Marbury, I think thats the only side of you that members dislike about you. Everything else about you is cool.
Plus check out what I said in the Post I put up on this subject.
Your boy Marbury main problem is his Offseason vacation away from all his teammates untill training camp begins. That is why so many PG by passed Marbury in "team-skillz" and "co-existing chemistry with teammates".
Marbury can not demand a trade after he did it the first time and bought a Franchise down instead of up (N.J. Nets). NBA teams brass would have a big laugh about Marbury demanding a trade after his 4 seasons with the Knicks.

In one post I made on JO trade to the Knicks in another Knick Forum I did say that Marbury & JO would compliment each other with a SF like the Tazman and Chandler for a Winning season.

There is no one sided love for Marbury coming from me. I have admitted before that hes not a lockerroom leader. Thats my main beef with him. Its posters like you who dont pay attention and believe what you wanna believe. Most of my arguements have to do with how Marbury doesnt get the credit he deserves for how well he played last year. I dont know why your always bringing up New Jersey, even their your looking at things to simply. K-mart was a rookie when Marbury played there and they got RJ the following year.

NBA teams brass probally would expect marbury to demand a trade, seeing how its a known fact that he was made the scapegoat. I wouldnt blame marbury myself for demanding a trade. It is clear that Isiahs favorite is crawford, even players around the league have talked about it.

It really doesnt matter that you gave Marbury credit in another forum, most the time you have negative things to say about him. Im expectin you to reply by saying thats not true and then saying more negative things about him like last time.

I dont have a problem with you kiyaman, I think your one of the better posters on here and I even mentioned your name to a couple of little kids on here as you being one of only 5 or 6 posters that have a right to call me out. I dont respect the little boys who come on here once in a while and say bad things about me, at least you come on daily and write a few paragraphs.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think keeping Marbury for next year is great. The Knicks keep an expiring contract, and they keep a player that can score and pass. Marbury is the best player on the team, and he's the best point guard on the team. I can see Marbury averaging at least 16 points and 6 assists, next year. And if the new coach lets Marbury go all out, he might even aveage 18 points and 8 assists.

Great post, people dont understand what Marbury can do without a leash on him. When you have a star, you cant tell them to play a certain way. You gotta let them do them. I dont know what made Isiah think that running the offense through Crawford, Z-bo, and Curry was a better option then running it through Marbury. Actually im gonna answer my own question, it was part of Isiahs plot to make Marbury the scapegoat. Coming into this season I can provide strong arguements as to why Marbury was a top 10 point guard. Im not sure what he is at this point but im sure he can still contribute in a positive way.

Great post, people dont understand what Marbury can do without a leash on him. When you have a star, you cant tell them to play a certain way. You gotta let them do them. I dont know what made Isiah think that running the offense through Crawford, Z-bo, and Curry was a better option then running it through Marbury. Actually im gonna answer my own question, it was part of Isiahs plot to make Marbury the scapegoat. Coming into this season I can provide strong arguements as to why Marbury was a top 10 point guard. Im not sure what he is at this point but im sure he can still contribute in a positive way.
Marbury is still top 10

metrocard

Legend
Marbury will definately be a top 10 PG next season since he's playing in his contract year and wants to prove himself worthy as a bona fide all star.

Isiah's days are numbered, Walsh has a good resume and doesn't want to screw it up. Isiah is like the biggest shit stain in Knicks history, and Donnie has the supplies to clean that shit stain off MSG.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
hey im not a huge marbury fan like metro nd msg33, but still i say every1 shud stop the hatin, unless marbury fails again next year. like msg33 said without a leash marbury has always been a great player. if things work out than da knicks got a top pg, but if things dont work out then jst let him nd his 20 mil go.

Moz106

Benchwarmer
my plan for the knicks: Walsh shud draft Brook Lopez, trade either Zbo or Curry,make marbury the go to guy!!!!! i believe he has a point to prove all the doubters, oh yea by all means fire Isaiah and hire rick carlisle......
Go Knicks 2009, Carry On Tradition, Msg, Metro, We gonna shut dem up, believe me!!!!!!!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
This season proved that the Knicks are in dire need of a PG.
Hopefully, the Knicks could pull Derrick Rose out of this draft if not they have to go after T.J. Ford before someone else grab him.
However, being short of a starting PG this season was not the reason the Knicks had their worst watching season in Knick history, that came with the coach and his poor coaching staff surrounding the offense around bum Zach Randolph.
When Marbury took over the offense and gave Miami their first win of this season you could'nt blame the players for getting angry with Marbury. But when I read in the News Papers that Isiah was going to replace Marbury in the starting lineup with Mardy Collins vs the Phoenix Suns, I would've sent Marbury a return ticket to get far away from a nonsense coach.
Nate Robinson had some great games over the Phoenix Suns, although I would not have agreed with him replacing Marbury as a Starter vs Suns but he should've been the next in line. Isiah shitted on both Marbury & Nate on his decision of Collins.

So with a New Head Coach for the Knicks in the 2008-9 season:

Marbury ending contract season makes "Starbury" the Key Player next season even if its just to reduce $20 million off the salary cap.

Especially, with a healthy Marbury that will accept being on the Summer League Team to play alongside of the Knick star Lottery Draft Player and Chandler should get Marbury in shape of missing this season, plus his value as a player will be very high to finally trade him for a decent player (alot of teams are looking for a veteran PG this offseason).
Or we keep Marbury if he can average 12 assist and co-exist with the young players in all 6 Summer League Games (Marbury should be able to show some veteran leadership to the young players on the summer league team.)
It probably will be the first time in Marbury NBA career that he trained with his teammates in the offseason.

George M.

Benchwarmer
This season proved that the Knicks are in dire need of a PG.
Hopefully, the Knicks could pull Derrick Rose out of this draft if not they have to go after T.J. Ford before someone else grab him.
However, being short of a starting PG this season was not the reason the Knicks had their worst watching season in Knick history, that came with the coach and his poor coaching staff surrounding the offense around bum Zach Randolph.
When Marbury took over the offense and gave Miami their first win of this season you could'nt blame the players for getting angry with Marbury. But when I read in the News Papers that Isiah was going to replace Marbury in the starting lineup with Mardy Collins vs the Phoenix Suns, I would've sent Marbury a return ticket to get far away from a nonsense coach.
Nate Robinson had some great games over the Phoenix Suns, although I would not have agreed with him replacing Marbury as a Starter vs Suns but he should've been the next in line. Isiah shitted on both Marbury & Nate on his decision of Collins.

So with a New Head Coach for the Knicks in the 2008-9 season:

Marbury ending contract season makes "Starbury" the Key Player next season even if its just to reduce $20 million off the salary cap.

Especially, with a healthy Marbury that will accept being on the Summer League Team to play alongside of the Knick star Lottery Draft Player and Chandler should get Marbury in shape of missing this season, plus his value as a player will be very high to finally trade him for a decent player (alot of teams are looking for a veteran PG this offseason).
Or we keep Marbury if he can average 12 assist and co-exist with the young players in all 6 Summer League Games (Marbury should be able to show some veteran leadership to the young players on the summer league team.)
It probably will be the first time in Marbury NBA career that he trained with his teammates in the offseason.
Can the Marbury lovers and haters forget this whole mess? Isiah Thomas is responsible for not surrounding Marbury with the proper shooters/players around him. His best ability is to slash to the basket and the pick and roll. Meanwhile Thomas surrounds him with redundant players since 2004 and wonders why everyone questions his front office skills.This season is where I began to see his whole "philosophy" totally breakdown and knew for sure he had to go. I just hope that Walsh has much better ideas than Isiah and i believe he does.

Stephon Marbury is a troublemaker and a heathen! Isiah Thomas is coach of the year caliber! I see my husband coach every game. I don't see why you people can't see that. Isiah's a superstar! He knows what he's doing. You just don't have any patience. It didn't take God 1 day to create the Earth. It took 6, and he rested on day 7. It's like watering a plant. It takes time and patience. Donnie Walsh does not have what it takes. He does not have the time nor the patience. He's going to ruin the Knicks for decades to come. Isiah's decision to have Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry is down to earth and healthy. You get two low post beasts that can dominate. I saw both of them make progress. You just gotta wait! Why can't you people wait?!

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Stephon Marbury is a troublemaker and a heathen! Isiah Thomas is coach of the year caliber! I see my husband coach every game. I don't see why you people can't see that. Isiah's a superstar! He knows what he's doing. You just don't have any patience. It didn't take God 1 day to create the Earth. It took 6, and he rested on day 7. It's like watering a plant. It takes time and patience. Donnie Walsh does not have what it takes. He does not have the time nor the patience. He's going to ruin the Knicks for decades to come. Isiah's decision to have Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry is down to earth and healthy. You get two low post beasts that can dominate. I saw both of them make progress. You just gotta wait! Why can't you people wait?!

We been waiting since December 2003 when Isiah was hired.
It is April 2008 and Isiah team record is 20-56 this season.
Believe me you dont want to know his Knick WIN-LOST record.
Isiah was a great player, lets leave it at that. He made enough money off the NBA, he should just invest in family, sons, daughters, nephews, nieces.
Did you say God created the world in 6 days or 6 years?
because the way Isiah is going on the 7th year he still wont be able to rest with a 12 win season team.
Or you hav'nt notice that this Knick Team been going backwards since Layden had it.
Knicks fans is not all that crazy about Walsh, but the replacement of Isiah makes a Knick Fan happy. This is New York! if your not a WINNER take the abuse...

P.S. dont be fooled if Walsh statement of "Key Player" turn out to be Jermain O'Neal 2 year contract for Marbury 1 year contract with David Lee included to make it an even salary trade.

Donnie Walsh will ruin the Knicks. The Knicks and Pacers were rivals all through the 90s. Walsh will try his best to make the Knicks pay for all their victories over the Pacers. That is why it was so important to keep Isiah as coach, president, and General Manager. James Dolan should have gave Isiah another 4 year extension for 48 million dollars. That way we keep Isiah. Now, whoever ends up with Isiah will have a legacy. That was what we were supposed to have.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Look, Marbury should not be brought out period. The fact of the matter is, him healthly and in a right frame of mind, can bring the Knicks to the playoffs in the weak ass East. His contract could bring in a trade like the lakers did with Pau Gasol. With or without the Knicks drafting Rose, I still believe Marbury should be on this team for next season, unless an exceptional trade comes across the desk of Walsh

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

man ur either isiahthomas11, or some other h*mo jst waitin to get banned lol