Donnie: Marbury is a key player

Kiyaman

Legend
A second chance for Marbury?

April 4, 2008

We all know a wide majority of the fans want nothing more to do with Isiah Thomas because he?s the architecht of this mess. Surviving this front office makeover will require the most convincing act of his charasmatic life. Winning a role in the latest phase of reconstruction will be considered a major upset.

So where does this leave Stephon Marbury?

I doubt there will be any moving trucks rumbling into the driveway of his stately home. Incoming president Donnie Walsh is convinced the Knicks must finally escape salary cap hell. He wants to go shopping for a marquee name in a couple of years, and that requires patience and planning.

Marbury just happens to have an expiring deal.

Letting him play out the final season of the contract is a financially prudent move. When the controversial playmaker leaves town, nearly $22 million come off the books. Malik Rose happens to be in the same boat. His departure clears roughly $8 million. Walsh isn?t likely to run out and spend that money, either.

Quentin Richardson and Jerome James are done following the 2009-10 season, freeing up another $16 million. Along the way, the Knicks might want to extend David Lee and Nate Robinson. There will also be at least one draft pick slotted in, as well.

So despite all of his faults, it doesn?t make a lot of sense to deal Marbury unless Walsh acquires useful players who don?t have more than a year or two left. Good luck. He will visit with Marbury in the coming weeks, and undoubtedly give him a chance to explain. In the mean time, I?m wondering if anybody else is wondering if the Knicks should just buy him out.

He?s clearly not part of the future plans here, so why give him minutes? He?s got enough left to help the Knicks be more competitive, but will he work to establish a new attitude in the locker room?
Let me know.