Which young player/s would you want on our team?

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
In light of our rebuilding mode (or should I say swift rebuilding mode since this is New York), which promising young players (max of 3 years pro) would be great for a young New York Knicks team next year (I'm saying "young" because I'm really hoping our roster starts fresh and builds a core of young players especially with the draft)? My picks would be Josh Smith and/or Emeka Okafor. I think Josh Smith is a Shawn Marion in the making. He might even end being better than The Matrix. And Emeka Okafor could soon be a reliable defensive presence and rebounder for the Knicks.

What do you guys think? Which young player/s (as much as possible players max 3 years pro) would you want to acquire who you think would fit well in the Knicks' future. Let's try to be a little realistic and avoid other teams' franchise players like Howard, Roy, etc. Whether or not teams will actually take in our current players or future draft picks for a trade to occur isn't that significant for this thread but can be noted. I'm just trying to foresee an ideal Knicks team for next year, especially one with either Michael Beasley or Derrick Rose on.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I would want to acquire:
-Josh Smith-Atlanta Hawks(he can score, rebound, and defend; he has a lot of athleticism)
-Al Horford-Atlanta Hawks(he can rebound, defend, and he's a smart basketball player)
-Royal Ivey-Milwaukee Bucks(he's a good defensive point guard, and he can score occasionally. He would make a good backup point guard for the Knicks)
-C.J. Watson-Golden State Warriors(He's a 6'2 point guard whose contract expires after this year. He averaged 15.3 points and 2 steals, in college; he also shot a high field goal percentage at 46%)
-Nenad Kristic-New Jersey Nets(a good scorer and rebounder. He's 7-0, so he could make a good starting center or backup center. Yes, it's possible to get him. His contract expires after this year. Don't be fooled by his stats from this year. He was injured all season)
-Louis Williams-Philadelphia 76ers(a point guard with lots of potential; he can score and like Marbury, occasionally defends. His contract expires after this year)
-Charlie Villanueva Milwaukee Bucks(a small forward/power forward that can score and pass. He's similar to Tim Thomas. Would make a good replacement small forward for someone who will remain nameless. I've talked about this person enough times. No, I'm not talking about Wilson Chandler or Renaldo Balkman)
-Herbert Hill-Philadelphia 76ers(a power forward/center that can defend and has the ability to score. He averaged 18.1 points and 2.8 blocks in Germany. His contract expires after this season)

The people I mentioned are not all big names, because I wanted to list people with talent that the Knicks actually have a realistic chance of getting. I would suggest the Knicks taking one of these point guards and one of these
power forwards or centers. Most of these players don't need a large contract to be acquired, with the exception of Josh Smith and maybe Nenad Kristic.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
I would want to acquire:
-Josh Smith-Atlanta Hawks(he can score, rebound, and defend; he has a lot of athleticism)
-Al Horford-Atlanta Hawks(he can rebound, defend, and he's a smart basketball player)
-Royal Ivey-Milwaukee Bucks(he's a good defensive point guard, and he can score occasionally. He would make a good backup point guard for the Knicks)
-C.J. Watson-Golden State Warriors(He's a 6'2 point guard whose contract expires after this year. He averaged 15.3 points and 2 steals, in college; he also shot a high field goal percentage at 46%)
-Nenad Kristic-New Jersey Nets(a good scorer and rebounder. He's 7-0, so he could make a good starting center or backup center. Yes, it's possible to get him. His contract expires after this year. Don't be fooled by his stats from this year. He was injured all season)
-Louis Williams-Philadelphia 76ers(a point guard with lots of potential; he can score and like Marbury, occasionally defends. His contract expires after this year)
-Charlie Villanueva Milwaukee Bucks(a small forward/power forward that can score and pass. He's similar to Tim Thomas. Would make a good replacement small forward for someone who will remain nameless. I've talked about this person enough times. No, I'm not talking about Wilson Chandler or Renaldo Balkman)
-Herbert Hill-Philadelphia 76ers(a power forward/center that can defend and has the ability to score. He averaged 18.1 points and 2.8 blocks in Germany. His contract expires after this season)

Nice post. Very deep list. I'm actually a big fan of Horford (I hope he wins ROY over Durant) but didn't include him on my list cause I believe the Hawks are gonna make him their franchise player. I've read some articles weeks ago about TJ Ford being a good option for the Knicks especially since the Raptors will likely decide to use their money to retain Calderon instead of him. If we don't get Derrick Rose and Marbury isn't a Knick next season, Ford could be a good pick-up too (and he's a 3 year pro btw :] ).
Building a young core of Okafor (C), Beasley (PF), Josh Smith (SF), Whoever (SG), Ford (PG) is a team built for the future. Like I said, I'm all for a fresh roster with fresh management.

Let's all pray we land at least a top 2 pick. PLEASE PLEASE!!!

Go Knicks!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Nice post. Very deep list. I'm actually a big fan of Horford (I hope he wins ROY over Durant) but didn't include him on my list cause I believe the Hawks are gonna make him their franchise player. I've read some articles weeks ago about TJ Ford being a good option for the Knicks especially since the Raptors will likely decide to use their money to retain Calderon instead of him. If we don't get Derrick Rose and Marbury isn't a Knick next season, Ford could be a good pick-up too (and he's a 3 year pro btw :] ).
Building a young core of Okafor (C), Beasley (PF), Josh Smith (SF), Whoever (SG), Ford (PG) is a team built for the future. Like I said, I'm all for a fresh roster with fresh management.

Let's all pray we land at least a top 2 pick. PLEASE PLEASE!!!

Go Knicks!
TJ Ford would be a good fit for the Knicks. The only concern I have with him is that he's injury prone. Emeka Okafor would definitely be an upgrade from having Eddy Curry. I would actually keep Zach Randolph, if we could get Okafor, because Okafor's main strengths are defense and rebounding. The Knicks could definitely get at least 30 wins next year, with Okafor, Randolph, and Wilson Chandler in the front court next year.

Last edited:

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Linas Kleiza- PF Denver Nuggets

Trevor Ariza- SF L.A. Lakers

Deron Williams- PG Utah Jazz

Radoslav Nesterovic- C Toronto

No description necessary

Blas

Benchwarmer
Monta Elis
Andres Biendrins
Thabo Sefolosha
Ronnie Brewer
Jeff Greene

Unfortunately I do not think we can get any of these players =(.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I like sean williams, i was hoping the knicks would get him in last years draft. I remember them sayin that greg oden wasnt the best shot blocker in the draft, williams was. IF the nets are smart they wont give him up, kids got potential.

Kiyaman

Legend
I like sean williams, i was hoping the knicks would get him in last years draft. I remember them sayin that greg oden wasnt the best shot blocker in the draft, williams was. IF the nets are smart they wont give him up, kids got potential.

I wanted Sean Williams in that draft real bad to put alongside of Curry for 28 mpg. Sean Williams would've had a double-double rookie season as a Knick.
But then again, our poor coaching staff and Head Coach Isiah would've benched him all season.

Wanting all the young players that are mention in this thread would not help this Knick Team. Untill the Knicks get a decent coaching-staff and Head Coach with a PLAN.
The Knicks never improved their coaching staff since assistant coach Don Chaney was put as the Head Coach. When JVG left so did half of his staff.
Recall, Coach Don Chaney hired ex-Player Herb Williams and made him his assistant coach as soon as Herb contract ended.

I'd actually like them to play..

Some of the young guys they have. Chandler is getting run. Think he has shown he has a chance to be a very solid 3. If Curry is here, then Zach would have to Go. Lee surely is a better compliment for Curry than Zach, and Lee plays and never complains about getting, or not getting the ball. He just shows up.

In the event that Marbury is not traded, or bought out, and Curry stays, I'd love to see Mayo, or Eric Gordon To man the sg Spot. For that to happen, Crawford has too and should go (regardless if this pipe dream happens or not)

In the event that Curry is traded and Zach isn't, Marbury is bought out or traded, Then I'd have to hope for Rose, or Augustine, or Bayless (if he comes out) and hope a player like Robyn Lopez is around next pick for defensive purposes. Or in a bigger pipe dream, Jevale Mcgee. Either would compliment the frontcourt with Zach and won't demond the ball, but have decent games offensively as well (Mcgee could become a flat out star)

Just rather think about our draft possibilities and ways we can continue to develop our young players.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
My pipedream would be either of these setups:
C - Okafor or Biedrins (credited to jeckomaru)
PF - Beasley
SF - Josh Smith
SG - whoever young and promising
PG - TJ Ford

OR

C - Okafor or Biedrins
PF - Zach will have to do if there's no one else
SF - Josh Smith
SG - whoever young and promising
PG - Derrick Rose

My dreams for draft day:
1. Draft either Beasley or Rose
2. Trade Zach, Curry, Crawford and whoever's necessary for Josh Smith, Okafor/Biedrins, TJ Ford (if we don't get Rose), and a few other young players (some of which are already mentioned in posts).
3. Try to retain current promising young players like Chandler

My Motto for next season's roster is "Start fresh under fresh management"