Winning 49 Games & no postseason

Kiyaman

Legend
That is a bad feeling when your team can Win 48 to 50 games and dont make the Playoffs. That happen to KG on the Timberwolves one season.

Golden State Warriors (48-33) and the Denver Nuggets (49-32) exciting offensive performance this season deserve to be in the Post Season Games.
The Warriors & Nuggets show 100% better entertainment than the boring Spurs and Jazz (whom have the habit of putting you to sleep)
:boohoo:.
The Philly 76ers are 40-41, the Atlanta Hawks are 37-43, and both made the Postseason Games in the East.

The Denver Nuggets Roster is supposed to be able to beat both the Lakers roster and the Hornets roster in a series. But...... the Denver Nuggets has one of the NBA top 10 poorest playoff coaches George Karl.
:boohoo:
There is no way that Coach Phil Jax or Coach Byron Scott will let coach George Karl Win a playoff series against them.

dre48ny

Rotation player
So what is the solution? Should the NBA change the playoff system? Basically just pick the best 16 records overall??

I know it sucks for Golden State, and they deserve it more than the Hawks and 76ers but it is what it is.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
That's what I would prefer. The 16 teams with the best records make it to the playoffs. I never understood the purpose of Conferences and Divisions.

Starks

Starter
This thread is about changing the playoff structure.

I always like the 8 best East teams and 8 best West teams, and advertisers like it this way as well.

The NBA has deeply rooted business relations with SouthWest Airlines and a few other travel orientated companies/services.

If there was a situatuon where one region was not to have playoff representation, -which is the season when ratings are the best, I would feel that my ad dollars aren't being used properly with the NBA media plan.

Obviously the West isn't going anywhere, but the thought of a situation in which an local market is not vested into the playoffs; well that doesn't make much business sense to use the NBA.

Would companies that target an NYC are market make much sense for advertising in May? Nope. Most of us won't pay attention unless our Knicks were involved.

I say it time and time again, the NBA is a business first- a sports league second. It's just the way the world works folks

pat

Starter
The Warriors & Nuggets show 100% better entertainment than the boring Spurs and Jazz (whom have the habit of putting you to sleep)
:boohoo:.

I know the Spurs are boring (but only if you are not a fan) and that used to be true for the Jazz as well, but I have to say that Williams, Boozer, Brewer and Kirilenko aren't boring at all! I also loved the "ugly Knicks" and watching the Bad Boys also wasn't particularly entertaining. The NBA isn't the Harlem Globetrotters. If the Spurs and the Jazz have better rcords than the Warriors that's what it is. As far as the comparison with Philly and Atlanta is concerned: the NBA should have done something about keeping the league in equilibrium years ago. Abandoning the East/West playoff mode would destroy a great tradition of rivalry.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Interesting point Starks but by having a higher quality playoffs, there will be more viewers. Wouldn't this boost of television ratings during the playoffs offset this?

Starks

Starter
Interesting point Starks but by having a higher quality playoffs, there will be more viewers. Wouldn't this boost of television ratings during the playoffs offset this?

You would think so, but don't forget that NYC is a baseball state. We are all die hards here, but Baseball is America's past time and the Yankess and Mets regular season games in May would certainly be more attractive to advertisers than hoping a pocket full of NYC fans tune into the NBA instead.

You tune into any Met/Yankee game in May, and you'll see kids, families, heads of households, Mothers/Wives, Elderly people that are enjoying their day at the ballpark. You don't necassirly get this from basketball. If you have a product thats segmented to a geo market, and that market isn't even represented by a team in the playoffs- you would be absolutley upset and likely to skip out on advertising with the NBA. With the way the league is set up, every area of the country has equal opportunity to have playoff games. Seriously, 8 teams per conference is very liberal- even more embarrasing for the Knicks to not have been in there in so long

If your running a buisness and have a product that isn't meant for a niche basketball audience (sneakers, fitness, gatorade, clothing), you would be making a bad choice by choosing to advertise on an NBA schedule instead of baseball. Advertisers don't care about the games, they care about where the most people are watching.

This would be different if the Knicks were in the playoffs. Back when the Knicks were a playoff team, advertisers used to fight to get their products to run during Knick playoff games.

This argument works the same for other cites as well. It's a geographic/demographic issue here.

Last edited:

knicksfancris

Benchwarmer
You would think so, but don't forget that NYC is a baseball state. We are all die hards here, but Baseball is America's past time and the Yankess and Mets regular season games in May would certainly be more attractive to advertisers than hoping a pocket full of NYC fans tune into the NBA instead.

You tune into any Met/Yankee game in May, and you'll see kids, families, heads of households, Mothers/Wives, Elderly people that are enjoying their day at the ballpark. You don't necassirly get this from basketball. If you have a product thats segmented to a geo market, and that market isn't even represented by a team in the playoffs- you would be absolutley upset and likely to skip out on advertising with the NBA. With the way the league is set up, every area of the country has equal opportunity to have playoff games. Seriously, 8 teams per conference is very liberal- even more embarrasing for the Knicks to not have been in there in so long

If your running a buisness and have a product that isn't meant for a niche basketball audience (sneakers, fitness, gatorade, clothing), you would be making a bad choice by choosing to advertise on an NBA schedule instead of baseball. Advertisers don't care about the games, they care about where the most people are watching.

This would be different if the Knicks were in the playoffs. Back when the Knicks were a playoff team, advertisers used to fight to get their products to run during Knick playoff games.

This argument works the same for other cites as well. It's a geographic/demographic issue here.
you dont get that anymore because we suck the knicks suck thats why we watch baseball and futball

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Basketball purists can appreciate the Spurs. I have called the Spurs boring in the past but it was last year in the playoffs when I realized that its like watching a defensive minded boxer, dont sleep on the art of defense. They define team basketball and I look forward to watching Duncan go to work in the playoffs.

Most people dont check out the NBA section, they only stay on the front page. I made a thread 2 weeks ago about how KG got sonned twice by Duncan and Artest. For those of you who only stay on the home page i recommend going to the top, clicking on interactive and then forums so you can see all the sections like NBA, Hangout, other sports, etc.

Heres what Ron Artest had to say about Duncan:

"I remember one time Kevin Garnett was mushing him, and shoving him in the face; and Tim Duncan didn't do anything, he didn't react. He just kicked Kevin Garnett's ass, and won the damn championship. You know what I'm sayin'? That's gangsta. Everybody can show emotion, dunk on somebody, scream and be real cocky; but Tim Duncan is a ... he's a pimp."

---Ron Artest​

Artest sonned KG with the quote but Duncan sonned KG on the court. KG got sonned twice!!!! Gay G (The Big Stick-it) Lost

Timmy D is a true champ, F the emotions. Its all about being the silent assassin, i agree with Artest. Thats how gangstas do it.

Kiyaman

Legend

Imagine how the Warrior-Fans feel right now.

If the Eastern Conference was to go back to being the best winning percentage teams in both conferences.
Hypothetical speaking, and the Knicks won back to back 48 win seasons, and did'nt make the Postseason games in either, believe me there would be an immediate change in the NBA.

I dont take nothing away from the Spurs Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker, it's the Malik Rose and Bowen role-play that bothers me in a Postseason series where their oponents have to watch their back every second in that series for life long injuries.

I like all of the Jazz young players, they are the ones that put Utah back on the map.

But the above dont change that L.A., G.S., Cavs, Boston, Phoenix, and Denver are the most exciting teams to watch in the NBA.