Is Mark Jackson right for the Knicks?

tiger0330

Legend
Seems like the Knicks vacant coaching position is going to Mark Jackson but is he the right guy for the job? Zero coaching experience on any level, coaching in the most critical fishbowl in the league, has a team that not even a hall of fame coach Larry Brown couldn't take anywhere.

Even if it's Walsh's plan to bide time until 2010 to make the Knicks competitive, I still want a coach who is a proven motivator and teacher that can ingrain a defensive mentality and hustle in the players. Mark Jackson hasn't proven squat.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well he was a player coach for a playoff bound Houston team. The rumor is that he may have to a expeirenced assitant coach added to his roster if he does get the job. The prediction is that it would be Ewing. He would also be able to retain coaches from the past regime, my two would be Herb and Hanners, the rest can bounce!

Not to mention this team is not expected to win so it is an ideal job for a new coach. But Mark did play for two great coaches in Larry Brown and JVG, however his credentials remind me way too much of Isiah Thomas's, and as we know all too well Isiah wasnt exactly a good coach.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Mark Jackson would make a good coach. Just because you don't have coaching experience doesn't mean you can't coach a team.

Mark Jackson was a good scorer and great passer, on the Knicks and in the NBA. He has experience announcing for the Nets, and he's watched the Knicks play. Mark Jackson has the personality needed to be a coach. He is very serious, and he doesn't seem like a person who would let the team take advantage of him. He seems smart, so he probably isn't going to put people in the starting lineup, just because they make a lot of money, like how Isiah Thomas did. Herb Williams and Mark Aguirre have both coached the Knicks for several years, so they could tell Mark Jackson a lot about the team.He definitely isn't going to be as bad as Isiah Thomas.

I think Patrick Ewing would make the best head coach for the Knicks, because he played 15 seasons on the Knicks, and he's successfully coached Yao Ming and Dwight Howard. However, if Mark Jackson wants a job as coach, I'd give him a chance, too. Patrick Ewing and Mark Jackson could both make good Knick coaches.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mark Jackson is the best candidate of NBA Head Coaches out there this offseason, which has an ideal plan for the improvement of the Knicks Backcourt & Frontcourt players. His Defensive mind of coaching would improve this Knick roster 60%.
Mark Jackson leadership at St. Johns took him and Chris Mullen to every NCAA playoffs to knock off alot of top teams.
His rookie season leadership at the PG put Patrick Ewing on the map as a winning player in the NBA, rather than just a scoring & rebounding player that team keep losing games (aka Zach Randolph).

If Head Coach Mark Jackson could get an assistant like Patrick Ewing and Walt Clyde Frazier to help him impliment his defensive plan the offense would become natural because the Knick Players would be knowledgable of each Knick oposition defensive plan so they would start a quicker transition game so their oponents wont be able to establish their set defense.

Kiyaman

Legend
Seems like the Knicks vacant coaching position is going to Mark Jackson but is he the right guy for the job? Zero coaching experience on any level, coaching in the most critical fishbowl in the league, has a team that not even a hall of fame coach Larry Brown couldn't take anywhere.

Even if it's Walsh's plan to bide time until 2010 to make the Knicks competitive, I still want a coach who is a proven motivator and teacher that can ingrain a defensive mentality and hustle in the players. Mark Jackson hasn't proven squat.

If you knew anything about Mark Jackson B-Ball career and the famous Star Coaches that put the entire team in the hands of Mark Jackson than your above statement would be the oposite.

The Mavs had twice the amount of assistant coaches than any team in the league, but they gave the Head coaching job to player Avery Johnson. Whom was Mark Jackson understudy and backup PG on the Spurs, before Mark booked to the Pacers because a much needed Rodman was acting the fool.
Larry Brown did the same.

dre48ny

Rotation player
If you knew anything about Mark Jackson B-Ball career and the famous Star Coaches that put the entire team in the hands of Mark Jackson than your above statement would be the oposite.

The Mavs had twice the amount of assistant coaches than any team in the league, but they gave the Head coaching job to player Avery Johnson. Whom was Mark Jackson understudy and backup PG on the Spurs, before Mark booked to the Pacers because a much needed Rodman was acting the fool.
Larry Brown did the same.

Avery Johnson and Byron Scott are 2 good examples of ex-players who were given a shot and have succeded tremendously! Isaiah and Mark jackson are 2 different people. Isaiah was involved in a law suit. He was juggling 2 jobs and was just trying too hard to make sure his contracts were playing.

Mark Jackson would get a fresh start with possibly an upgrade in his assistant coaches. He knows the game and this would be the perfect time for him to coach. Is anyone expecting a championship next year?? Hell no. We want significant improvement.

I say let's give our ex-players a chance, it's worth the gamble. Although, I would love to see Ewing as an assistant!!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Avery Johnson and Byron Scott are 2 good examples of ex-players who were given a shot and have succeded tremendously! Isaiah and Mark jackson are 2 different people. Isaiah was involved in a law suit. He was juggling 2 jobs and was just trying too hard to make sure his contracts were playing.

Mark Jackson would get a fresh start with possibly an upgrade in his assistant coaches. He knows the game and this would be the perfect time for him to coach. Is anyone expecting a championship next year?? Hell no. We want significant improvement.

I say let's give our ex-players a chance, it's worth the gamble. Although, I would love to see Ewing as an assistant!!
Exactly, you don't need coaching experience to be a good coach. Look at Isiah Thomas, Larry Brown, and Herb Williams. All 3 of those coaches had experience, and the Knicks still finished with losing records. What the Knicks need is someone that is knowledgeable about the Knicks organization, has seen the players on the Knicks play, and that has the right personality for the job. Mark Jackson fits all 3 requirements.

Patrick Ewing also fits those 3 requirements, which is why he would also make an excellent coach.

In my opinion, Donnie Walsh should hire both of them; make Ewing the head coach and Jackson the assistant coach.

i heard that whats most likely to happen is jackson is head coach and then good friend JEFF VAN GUNDY would be his top assistant. I heard this on SNY a few days ago.

tiger0330

Legend
Byron Scott was an asst coach for the Kings before he took over at the Nets. Avery was an asst for the Mavs and mentored under Don Nelson before taking over the Mavs.

Jackson was never a player coach for the Rockets, he played less than a full season with the Rockets, Charlie Ward was an asst coach with the Rockets after his playing career.

I have nothing against players becoming coaches, most of the coaches in the league are former players but most of them have have learned their trade by being assistants somewhere. The Knick job will be tough and I just question whether it should go to someone with no experience whatsoever.

Im with you. I still to this day can't figure why so many people are pushing so hard for Mark. Could it possibly be because the media threw this idea out and now people have latched onto it?? I dunno man...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Marc Jackson is NOT the best candidate for Knicks head coach. Contrary to popular opinion you DO need experience to be a good coach. Would you let a med school student operate on you? I'd want a more seasoned sergeant to do the work. Although I think Marc Jackson can be a good coach, there are dozens of coaches that would be a better fit and are proven coaches. Example, Scott Skiles, Rick Carlisle Sam Mitchell, Jeff Vangundy, Avery Johnson, Herb Williams.

It's shocking to me that every poster seems to think the best candidate is a man with little to no experience and is in zero demand. Since when does playing for the Knicks make you a good coach? Maybe we should give Spreewell a call. I hear he needs some cash.

The best coaching candidate is Herb Williams. Walsh would do this team a disservice if he does not seriously consider Williams. With 5 years of coaching experience Williams has survived the dark and disastrous years of the Knicks. He's seen up close what does not work and what does (See Lenny Wilkens). Maybe if Isiah spent a few years on the bench as an assistant we wouldn't be in this situation.

Kiyaman

Legend
Marc Jackson is NOT the best candidate for Knicks head coach. Contrary to popular opinion you DO need experience to be a good coach. Would you let a med school student operate on you? I'd want a more seasoned sergeant to do the work. Although I think Marc Jackson can be a good coach, there are dozens of coaches that would be a better fit and are proven coaches. Example, Scott Skiles, Rick Carlisle Sam Mitchell, Jeff Vangundy, Avery Johnson, Herb Williams.

It's shocking to me that every poster seems to think the best candidate is a man with little to no experience and is in zero demand. Since when does playing for the Knicks make you a good coach? Maybe we should give Spreewell a call. I hear he needs some cash.

The best coaching candidate is Herb Williams. Walsh would do this team a disservice if he does not seriously consider Williams. With 5 years of coaching experience Williams has survived the dark and disastrous years of the Knicks. He's seen up close what does not work and what does (See Lenny Wilkens). Maybe if Isiah spent a few years on the bench as an assistant we wouldn't be in this situation.

Every team that Mark Jackson played for from college to the NBA, the head coach let Mark Jackson run the show.
Mark Jackson is more defensive minded then all the coaches you mentioned above.
Why is Mark Jackson the best candidate? because the Knicks need a young coach to build around their young players that will admit his own rookie mistakes so not to put presure on the creative skillz of these young players.

Herb Williams failed as an assistant coach during the Larry Brown era, and got worst through the Isiah era. Sorry, but let Herb use his Knick resume to get with the next team.
If there was an assistant coach that I would grab out their now to be a head coach it would be the Wizards assistant coach Mike O'Koren.

dre48ny

Rotation player
I don't think people are pushing for Mark Jackson. At this point we would not mind giving him a shot. If the Mavs fired Avery Johnson, which I doubt, of course you go with him. Scott Skiles, I don't want.

Is your suggestion Herb Williams head coach and Mark Jackson assitant coach?

NYKnicks15

Starter
you have to understand we are rebuilding. we dont need an established coach to come in and get frustrated four weeks into the season. you need a coach that we dont expect a whole lot from the first season or two and that doesnt expect a champsionship in the first season or two. BUT also has the drive to get us over that hump when push comes to shove. that man at this point is Marc Jackson. Hes a new yorker who has been to the playoffs. Hes a Knick who was here in the old school days.. Defense preached days. A staff of him Ewing and Williams would be great for a learning needing direction knicks squad. because every person on this roster like it or not is one dimension away from being allstar caliber. Curry/Randolph and defense. Crawford discipline and leadership. Robinson almost the same.

and as for Herb as a head coach.. i just dont see that fire that say Marc Jackson can light. Herb seems slightly passive to me.

donchris

Herb Williams failed as an assistant coach during the Larry Brown era, and got worst through the Isiah era. Sorry, but let Herb use his Knick resume to get with the next team.
If there was an assistant coach that I would grab out their now to be a head coach it would be the Wizards assistant coach Mike O'Koren.

I totally disagree. I don't see how an assistant can be blamed for the failures of a seasoned hall of fame coach. Your usually on point but this is a baffling perspective to me.

I'm also not sure what fire can be seen from the broadcasting bench. I reject the thought that zero experience is better than experience. No one in any legitimate business would appoint some one with no experience to a failing situation. I'm not saying we need a hall of fame coach but what I am saying is some one that has never coached should not even be considered for a head coaching position. Even Avery had a few years on the bench. Oakley said it best "Mark was a great point guard. Isiah was a point guard, but he couldn't get across." The Knicks situation is to volatile for an inexperienced broadcaster.

Is your suggestion Herb Williams head coach and Mark Jackson assitant coach?
Personally I don't think that's a bad idea but if I were Herb I wouldn't want Jackson any where near my team due to the overwhelming media pressure for Jackson to coach. I'd rather have Williams, Ewing and Clyde.

Last edited:

mugili716

Benchwarmer
I think Mark Jackson would be a good fit with us, because hopefully he could get Marbury back to how he was before he got into it with Thomas. He was playing great and getting the team involved.

Wanna dominate the COURT??
<a href="http://ch8tan.bball3.hop.clickbank.net/" target="_top">Click Here!</a>

tiger0330

Legend
If I was to take a chance on a rookie coach, I would interview Tom Thibodeau of the Celtics. Bringing him here would like hiring JVG, we can't bring JVG here (he said he didn't want to coach this year) so we can bring the next best thing.

Thibodeau has the Van Gundy defensive mindset and could teach the sorry Knicks how to play D. Did you know that even though Ewing gets the credit for making Yao Ming the player he is today, it was Thibs that really did most of the work in refining Yao's game. Maybe he could do something with Eddie Curry.

Kiyaman

Legend
I totally disagree. I don't see how an assistant can be blamed for the failures of a seasoned hall of fame coach. Your usually on point but this is a baffling perspective to me.

I'm also not sure what fire can be seen from the broadcasting bench. I reject the thought that zero experience is better than experience. No one in any legitimate business would appoint some one with no experience to a failing situation. I'm not saying we need a hall of fame coach but what I am saying is some one that has never coached should not even be considered for a head coaching position. Even Avery had a few years on the bench. Oakley said it best "Mark was a great point guard. Isiah was a point guard, but he couldn't get across." The Knicks situation is to volatile for an inexperienced broadcaster.

Personally I don't think that's a bad idea but if I were Herb I wouldn't want Jackson any where near my team due to the overwhelming media pressure for Jackson to coach. I'd rather have Williams, Ewing and Clyde.

Assistant Coaches like Phil Jax, Riley, Pop, JVG, and Frank got off to a great start because the teams Franchise Players wanted them over the head coach. Herb Williams & Mark Aquire dont have that kind of support from any of the Knicks Players.

The Nets assistant coach Eddie Jordan earned his up comming for the next team to give him a start as their Head Coach because he had a NBA Plan that worked with young players.

Analyst Mark Jackson spoke consistently on so many team plans for so many teams in the NBA the last two seasons, especially the Knicks.
I hated listening to Breen & Frazier so I would listen to all the Knicks vs Nets game on Yes T.V. to listen to Marv Albert & Mark Jackson whom both talked more about the Knicks situation than they did about the Nets.
Mark Jackson has proven to be that 39 WIN coach in his first season, and the 42-WIN coach in his second season.
I'm not looking for no Championship Knicks for a long while, but Mark Jackson is the Coach to start putting this jig-saw puzzle into place a player at a time.

donchris

Assistant Coaches like Phil Jax, Riley, Pop, JVG, and Frank got off to a great start because the teams Franchise Players wanted them over the head coach. Herb Williams & Mark Aquire dont have that kind of support from any of the Knicks Players.

The Nets assistant coach Eddie Jordan earned his up comming for the next team to give him a start as their Head Coach because he had a NBA Plan that worked with young players.

Analyst Mark Jackson spoke consistently on so many team plans for so many teams in the NBA the last two seasons, especially the Knicks.
I hated listening to Breen & Frazier so I would listen to all the Knicks vs Nets game on Yes T.V. to listen to Marv Albert & Mark Jackson whom both talked more about the Knicks situation than they did about the Nets.
Mark Jackson has proven to be that 39 WIN coach in his first season, and the 42-WIN coach in his second season.
I'm not looking for no Championship Knicks for a long while, but Mark Jackson is the Coach to start putting this jig-saw puzzle into place a player at a time.

This Knicks team sucks and 85% of them need to be released and traded, so the notion that Herb isn't endorsed by this group of rejects isn't something I hold against him. What has Marc Jackson done to make you think he can win 42 games as coach? We've seen what great point guards can do as far as coaching with Isiah. In fairness Larry Bird thinks Jackson would be a great fit in NY and I know how much we all value Bird's opinion.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Should the knicks wait and see if any current playoff coaches are fired? I heard Avery Johnson and D'Antoni might be on the hot seat if they don't get out of the first round.