2008 NBA Draft is June 26th, Who should Knicks Draft?

Who should the Knicks draft?

• Derrick Rose

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Brook Lopez

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Anthony Randolph

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eric Gordon

• Hasheem Thabeet

• DJ Augustin

• OJ Mayo

• DeAndre Jordan

• Michael Beasley

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The NBA Draft is just 2 months away. That means the Knicks organization has 2 months to decide which draft prospect they would like to acquire. These are some of the prospects that will most likely end up in the NBA:

261659.jpg

Eric Gordon
Height:6'4
Weight: 215 lbs.
Position(s):pG/SG
2007-2008 College Stats:20.9 points per game, 43.3% field goals
3.3 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 3.6 turnovers

329584.jpg

Anthony Randolph
Height: 6'11
Weight: 220 lbs.
Position(s): PF/SF
2007-2008 College Stats:
15.6 points per game, 46.4% field goals
8.5 rebounds per game, 2.3 blocks per game, 1.1 steals, 3.0 turnovers

7396920_36_2.jpg

Michael Beasley
Height: 6'10
Weight: 235lbs.
Position(s): PF
2007-2008 College Stats:
26.2 points per game, 12.4 rebounds, 1.6 blocks

augustin_dj_110807_400.jpg

DJ Augustin
Height: 6'0
Weight: 180 lbs.
Position: PG
2007-2008 College Stats:
19.2 points per game, 5.8 assists, 2.9 turnovers

PH2006070601446.jpg

OJ Mayo
Height: 6'5
Weight: 200 lbs.
Position(s): SG/PG
2007-2008 College Stats:
20.7 points per game, 4.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 3.5 turnovers, 1.5 steals

282261.jpg

Kevin Love
Height: 6'10
Position(s): C/PF
2007-2008 college stats:
17.5 points, 10.6 rebounds, 1.4 blocks

derrickrose.jpeg

Derrick Rose
Height: 6'3
Weight:205 lbs.
Position(s): PG
2007-2008 College Stats:
14.9 Points per game, 4.7 assists per game, 4.5 rebounds, 2.7 turnovers

977009.jpeg

Brook Lopez
Height: 7'0
Weight: 260 lbs.
Position(s): C/PF
2007-2008 College Stats:
19.3 points, 8.2 rebounds, 2.1 blocks, 2.1 turnovers

Who should the Knicks draft? One of these prospects? Or maybe
Jared Bayless PG/SG that averages 19 points and 4 assists?
Or maybe the 7'0 Center, DeAndre Jordan?
Or Maybe Center Hasheem Thabeet?

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
If we get the top pick, I'd pick Derrick Rose. I have a strong feeling he's going to have a bigger impact in the NBA than Beasley. He will be a great floor general and team leader. The rest of my picks by order of priority are:

2. Michael Beasley (This guy's a future All-Star and a franchise player like Rose, but I'm leaning more towards Derrick Rose.)
3. OJ Mayo (Something tells me he might.. just maybe.. outplay Beasley and Rose during his rookie season and eventually live up to the hype that surrounded him throughout these years) -interesting fact though is he's gonna be 21 when the 08-09 season starts. Most if not all rookies drafted off their freshmen years are aged 19-20. That's almost 2 years lost.
4. Jerryd Bayless
5. Eric Gordon
6. Brook Lopez (Something about this guy makes me feel like he won't play that well in the NBA, and never be an All-Star. Probably gonna be a starter for some NBA teams at best. But he's a top6 pick.)

I picked only until the 6th because I'm hoping we don't go lower than that during the lottery. If we get at least the 2nd pick, the Knicks ARE BACK! Oh yeah!

Now if only we could also get Josh Smith and Emeka Okafor and build a young core of players around them, then we're set.

Last edited:

knicksfancris

Benchwarmer
i want lopez in are team we need a big guy that could block make points and rebound with that we will have a good squad

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
i want lopez in are team we need a big guy that could block make points and rebound with that we will have a good squad
I agree. I really want the Knicks to draft Michael Beasley or Brook Lopez. But if the Knicks draft Derrick Rose, they can still sign a free agent center and trade Curry.

This is who I think the Knicks should draft in order of priority:
1. Michael Beasley
2. Brook Lopez
3. Derrick Rose
4. Anthony Randolph
5. DJ Augustin

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I gotta admit right now im not thinkin about the draft, im thinkin.....well actually watchin the playoffs. Their off to a good start so far. I obviously have some homework to do before the draft but it will get done, i havent forgotten about the NBA fantasy draft game. I think once we know what pick we have Ill start watchin videos, reading what different websites say about the players. If we get the #1 pick I would pick Beasley and Rose would be my 2nd option.

stevie

Benchwarmer
Lets trade down and take Denandre Jordan and find a late first rounder and take Serge Ibaka. Give it 3 years and you have the best front court in NBA.

Bring in Ewing to coach.

Next year Riky Rubio to run the point.

GetRealistic

Starter
Lets trade down and take Denandre Jordan and find a late first rounder and take Serge Ibaka. Give it 3 years and you have the best front court in NBA.

Bring in Ewing to coach.

Next year Riky Rubio to run the point.

We don't have a 1st round pick next year. Traded it away

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks have a 2009 first round pick. It's the 2010 first round pick that Isiah gave away. We did lose a 2009 second round pick, though. And we lost this year's second round pick, which is why I have no idea why Isiah got rid of Demetris Nichols. For that, we might as well have kept our pick to begin with.

As for DeAndre Jordan, why trade down for him? DeAndre Jordan is a work in progess. It's better to draft a player that has already proven themself in College.

Last edited:

Blas

Benchwarmer
This is not a deep draft this year. If we can't get Beasly at 1 or Rose at 2 we should trade the pick away with a player with a big contract, trade down, or trade for a pick next year from a team who we can guess will stink next year.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I think this is a deep draft, and I think that there are other good players in this draft, besides Beasley and Rose. The Knicks don't need a superstar. They just need a good center or point guard that can play defense. However, I would trade away our pick, if some team is stupid enough to give us an expiring contract, take Eddy Curry's contract, and give us the player they drafted in the first round, of course.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I know a lot of people like Thabeet, and I like him too. But according to Draft Express (the NBA Draft Bible) that Thabeet at best is at Samuel Dalembert. And also he lacks work ethic, but who knows?

I said it before and I'll say it again, if we land 1 or 2 package it with Zach's contract for expiring contracts with one year left on them (maybe one contract with two years left on it) and a 2010 pick. Again the logic is that us shedding ourselves of Zach Randolph's contract is the equivelant to high lottery pick for us. Now I would like to swap for a lower lottery pick this year, but 1, only the Bulls are a lower lottery team with contracts that would match Zach's salary (Drew Goodin, and Ben Gordon) and 2 to me losing a pick in 2010 will be more detrimental considering we will be further along in rebuilding and ridding ourselves of Zeke's mistakes.

Now in the likley hood that we do not get the 1 or 2 and say we get 5 I would like to end up with DJ Austin or OJ Mayo. I like Mayo's potential, I love that he likes to defend and that he is a big PG. I think he may be one of those players who will look better as a Pro than in College. Examples: Vince Carter, Grant Hill (in his prime) and Tyshaun Prince

DJ Austin is a prototypical PG the only knock on him is that he is under 6 ft. He is cut from the same cloth as Andre Miller and Brevon Knight, PGs who impact the game but are not All Stars. To me thats what we need, or team is the perfect example of too many Cheifs not enough Indians. But he plays hard and is true PG, if Steph is on his way out we need a plan in place.

Now if we slide to 7 (which is likely only thanks to that 3 game win streak) I would take a gamble on DeAndre. Fact of the matter is New York can't risk passing on a game changing Big Man again with nothing to show for it Examples: Micheal Sweetney over Amare and Frye over Bynum. So if we pass on DeAndre we better be sure that he really is not going to ever be a force in the NBA, or we get an equally good player.

Brook Lopez scares me a little, but if he is as good as advertised, then he would make a good compliment to Lee on the frontline.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Good post, New New York. DJ Augustin is a good pick. If the Knicks end up getting below the 5th pick, I'd draft him.
OJ Mayo is another big pick, but I'm not sure if he could play point guard in the NBA. He only averages 3 assists, and at 6-5, smaller point guards might use their speed to go by him on defense. I see him as a shooting guard. If the Knicks draft OJ Mayo, they would have to sign a free agent center and try to get rid of Curry.

Last edited:

CJWALKER

Rookie
Best Solution

Considering that the Knicks have been bad for some yrs now and most New Yorkers are not into the term "rebuilding phase" this yrs draft is not the solution. If I was GM, hint hint, I would make the following trades to improve the Knicks immediately:

Should the Knicks get the number 1 or 2 pick:

1.) Trade Stephon for Allen Iverson, since it obvious the nuggets wont win with him and both have expiring contracts in 2009. Also Steph seems to play better in the west and Iverson is guranteed to be one of the highest sold jerseys if he comes to NY and never quits. Just dont make a trade with denver for Fools Gold, Carmelo Anthony.
2.) Trade the 1 or 2 pick for Rudy Gay. I dont think Beasley or Rose are franchise players. Good players yes, franchise players no. Memphis will then have the ability to have #1 or #2 and probably #4 picks.
3.)Trade Zach Randolph in a sign and trade for Elton Brand(throw in nate if neccessary). Should they not accept then do a combination of trades of Zach and Crawford or Curry, Crawford and Lee for Jermaine Oneal. Should the Clippers accept then still try the Oneal Trade
4.) Once you get rid of David Lee who is high trade bait, pick up Najera and draft Walker from Kansas State in the second round to be your defensive stopper on other teams best 2 or 3.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Considering that the Knicks have been bad for some yrs now and most New Yorkers are not into the term "rebuilding phase" this yrs draft is not the solution. If I was GM, hint hint, I would make the following trades to improve the Knicks immediately:

Should the Knicks get the number 1 or 2 pick:

1.) Trade Stephon for Allen Iverson, since it obvious the nuggets wont win with him and both have expiring contracts in 2009. Also Steph seems to play better in the west and Iverson is guranteed to be one of the highest sold jerseys if he comes to NY and never quits. Just dont make a trade with denver for Fools Gold, Carmelo Anthony.
2.) Trade the 1 or 2 pick for Rudy Gay. I dont think Beasley or Rose are franchise players. Good players yes, franchise players no. Memphis will then have the ability to have #1 or #2 and probably #4 picks.
3.)Trade Zach Randolph in a sign and trade for Elton Brand(throw in nate if neccessary). Should they not accept then do a combination of trades of Zach and Crawford or Curry, Crawford and Lee for Jermaine Oneal. Should the Clippers accept then still try the Oneal Trade
4.) Once you get rid of David Lee who is high trade bait, pick up Najera and draft Walker from Kansas State in the second round to be your defensive stopper on other teams best 2 or 3.
I think the best thing the Knicks should do is slowly rebuild. What you're thinking about doing is exactly what Isiah Thomas did. The Knicks don't need to get a bunch of big names. They need to draft quality players, trade players who are not being productive for expiring contracts, then sign some good free agents. That's how most teams rebuild, and that's how the Knicks should try to rebuild. Otherwise, it's going to be another Isiah Thomas situation.

dre48ny

Rotation player
I know a lot of people like Thabeet, and I like him too. But according to Draft Express (the NBA Draft Bible) that Thabeet at best is at Samuel Dalembert. And also he lacks work ethic, but who knows?

I said it before and I'll say it again, if we land 1 or 2 package it with Zach's contract for expiring contracts with one year left on them (maybe one contract with two years left on it) and a 2010 pick. Again the logic is that us shedding ourselves of Zach Randolph's contract is the equivelant to high lottery pick for us. Now I would like to swap for a lower lottery pick this year, but 1, only the Bulls are a lower lottery team with contracts that would match Zach's salary (Drew Goodin, and Ben Gordon) and 2 to me losing a pick in 2010 will be more detrimental considering we will be further along in rebuilding and ridding ourselves of Zeke's mistakes.

Now in the likley hood that we do not get the 1 or 2 and say we get 5 I would like to end up with DJ Austin or OJ Mayo. I like Mayo's potential, I love that he likes to defend and that he is a big PG. I think he may be one of those players who will look better as a Pro than in College. Examples: Vince Carter, Grant Hill (in his prime) and Tyshaun Prince

DJ Austin is a prototypical PG the only knock on him is that he is under 6 ft. He is cut from the same cloth as Andre Miller and Brevon Knight, PGs who impact the game but are not All Stars. To me thats what we need, or team is the perfect example of too many Cheifs not enough Indians. But he plays hard and is true PG, if Steph is on his way out we need a plan in place.

Now if we slide to 7 (which is likely only thanks to that 3 game win streak) I would take a gamble on DeAndre. Fact of the matter is New York can't risk passing on a game changing Big Man again with nothing to show for it Examples: Micheal Sweetney over Amare and Frye over Bynum. So if we pass on DeAndre we better be sure that he really is not going to ever be a force in the NBA, or we get an equally good player.

Brook Lopez scares me a little, but if he is as good as advertised, then he would make a good compliment to Lee on the frontline.

Thabeet is returning to school next year, so he is out of the equation.

Replying to CJwalker LOL! If Memephis is stupid enough to give us Rudy Gay for just the draft pick then that gm needs help.... but then again they did trade Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown so.....

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I am suprised Bayless isn't on that list. If we get the 1st pick, we need to get Beasley without question. If we get the 2nd pick and Beasley is taken, which he probably will, we need to pick up Derrick Rose, but if the Knicks get the 3rd pick we need Brook Lopez, or DJ Augustine. I like his game, some analysis have Augustine on the 10th pick overall.. I think he might be a good snatch for a team that has the 10th pick overall.