Kenny Smith to interview as Knicks GM?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-04-26_kenny_smith_enters_knicks_radar-2.html
According to the rumor mill known as the Daily News Kenny Smith will be interviewed for the newly vacant GM position.

According to a league source, Smith is scheduled to interview this week with Knicks president Donnie Walsh about becoming the team's new general manager. Smith has no previous front-office experience, but for years has expressed a desire to run a club.

What is up with Walsh interviewing all these guys with zero experience? I can' say the way things are going that I have high hopes for the team.

Kiyaman

Legend
Greg Anthony would make a far better GM than Kenny Smith and a far better Coach than Mark Jackson.

Greg Anthony probably will do a great job at G.M. and Coach, however this is New York with the Isiah Knicks. Could he controll a quad-problem such as "Marbury, Crawford, Q.Richardson, and Zach" at the G.M. or coaching these guys his first season better than Kenny Smith and Mark Jackson. I doubt it. These Knick Players took advantage of their previous teams coaches and G.M., the Knicks are not the first team they destroyed with their presence.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
True, I don't think anybody could make this roster work but I feel Greg has a high basketball IQ than both Kenny and Mark.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
guys guys guys! remember what happens when we hired a former player and commentator (Isiah) idk something just tells me it wont be a good thing to get kenny...

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
Lets have all the tnt crew in! GM can be EJ, Head coach can be kenny and his assistant can be chuck!!!

mark jackson is stll my personal choice

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I don't think the mistake was getting Isiah. Instead, the mistake was having him for so long and letting him continue to make stupid moves.

New New York

Quiet Storm
No Way! Kenny Smith has not shown any traits of being a GM in the league, I like Kenny Smith but if we are going to hire a coach with no expeirence then give us a seasoned GM. Why would we choose Kenny Smith over Billy King? I know this is just a rumor of an interveiw, but this is not a smart move at all!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I don't think the mistake was getting Isiah. Instead, the mistake was having him for so long and letting him continue to make stupid moves.

But what 'qualifications' did Isiah have to become GM of the Knicks? He was at the time a decent coach, he had some steak in the Raptors, and let's not even talk about the CBA. My view is Thomas was way over his head. Great PG, knew the game well, called some great plays in his day but none of that made him a good architect.

New New York53325 said:
No Way! Kenny Smith has not shown any traits of being a GM in the league, I like Kenny Smith but if we are going to hire a coach with no expeirence then give us a seasoned GM. Why would we choose Kenny Smith over Billy King? I know this is just a rumor of an interveiw, but this is not a smart move at all!

I like Kenny Smith. We are all sports fans so we're all familiar with him. I've learned a great deal about the game from watching him and other commentators. However, that's not to say that Smith is right to fix the Knicks. This situation is so sick that it doesn't make sense to pull in commentators/ex players to make changes. Hire Kenny as an executive and hire Mark as an assistant coach, let them work their way up the ranks and then give them a shot.

Blas

Benchwarmer
How about we hire all the commentators as our front office / coaching staff? You can spend all day talking about basketball, doesn't mean you will be a good coach or GM; however, they can be great backseat quarterbacks.

New New York

Quiet Storm
The move is as sensless as hiring Isiah. Kenny Smith is a Great commentator, I love to hear him call games, but how does that make him a GM? Again to bring in Kenny as a GM I would want to see a seasoned coach like JVG. But Mark Jackson and Kenny Smith would mean we are in a rebuilding phase all around the board. The GM position is not like bringing a player along, if a rookie player makes mistakes it can cost leads, and ultimatley a single game. A rookie GM can cause a lot more havoc on a franchise with foolish moves. We didnt hire Jerry Colangelo but hired Walsh which is ok, but please I hope we dont drop the ball and not get the best GM available in Billy King. Billy King Donnie Walsh to me means that Mark Jackson is a safer bet.