Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New coaching options emerge: Avery, Mike D, Sam Mitchell, Flip

Originally Posted by donchris
    Avery got a raw deal and I'm now convinced that Cuban no's dick about basketball. The Mavs were a disaster waiting to happen. They've got no leader, no heart and no defense. There was a time (two years ago) where the Mavs had promise in a weakened Western Conference and Avery inherited at the time, a good team. I want no parts of Mike DiAntoni. Nether coach is defensive minded. That run and gun **** is through.
    Walsh should really be looking at Thibodeau, Herb Williams, Avery Johnson, Paul Silas... I think the list should end there.
    You said neither D'antoni nor Avery were defensive minded coaches but you still included Avery on your short list at the end.

Anyway I agree with you on Tom Thibodeau. He's a very promising coach. Reason why I've stopped mentioning his name was because I'm starting to doubt he'll end up with the Knicks. But I'd rather he stay with the Celtics than end up with the Bulls if we can't get him (I'd want the Bulls to play awful for a few more seasons just so we could call it quits after Isiah's one-sided transactions with them). Thibodeau's definitely a perfect fit for the Knicks. I have a feeling he'll be like Jeff Van Gundy without the feistiness. And I hope we get Jackson and Ewing as assistants.

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    With Walsh taking his time making this coaching decision, I don't think its going to be a layup that Jackson will be the new coach, seems Walsh is waiting for the playoffs to end to interview potential candidates.
    Let's hope so. Though I wouldn't mind Jackson being the head coach, I sincerely believe he still has more of the caliber of an assistant coach.

Originally Posted by Starks
    If I had to pick, I'm going to give Avery a second chance with Walsh keeping a close eye on him.
    Nah, I don't like Avery. He relies on isos too heavily. I think that is the main point why the whole Kidd thing didn't work out in Dallas. As far as I watched their games, the basic idea was to put the ball in Dirk's and Josh Howard's hands and see what happens. But you don't need Jason Kidd for that. They would have been better of keeping that extra one-on-one Harris could deliver from time to time. I don't think that the Knicks have the right roster for this style of coaching (or will have in the near future).

I like Tom Thibodeau too. If the celtics loose to the hawks in the first round (BIG IF) then we may have a chance at him.

The only thing I'm scared of... I am not sure if Tom can handle the corruption or crap that happens in that front office. Going back to Avery, I am not sure he wants to even deal with it.

If we start winning games, I'm sure Dolan will become more hands-off making life easier for our coach.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by lanceroy
    You said neither D'antoni nor Avery were defensive minded coaches but you still included Avery on your short list at the end.

Anyway I agree with you on Tom Thibodeau. He's a very promising coach. Reason why I've stopped mentioning his name was because I'm starting to doubt he'll end up with the Knicks. But I'd rather he stay with the Celtics than end up with the Bulls if we can't get him (I'd want the Bulls to play awful for a few more seasons just so we could call it quits after Isiah's one-sided transactions with them). Thibodeau's definitely a perfect fit for the Knicks. I have a feeling he'll be like Jeff Van Gundy without the feistiness. And I hope we get Jackson and Ewing as assistants.

Let's hope so. Though I wouldn't mind Jackson being the head coach, I sincerely believe he still has more of the caliber of an assistant coach.
    On the strength that Avery was coach of the year two seasons ago, he's got to get a look. But I agree, Thibodeau would be the best choice. To me Mike D'antoni's philosophy is too close to what Isiah was trying to do, that was Zek's blueprint and for us that would be going backwards. Let Mike go to Toronto just to be fired in another three years. I wouldn't touch Flip with a 10 foot poll.

Nyk Logo

Avery Johnson's resume is very respectable. He did a fine job as a player and coach. Many say he got outcoached in the finals, but the refs had some to do with the outcome of a game or two. The guy can coach man. I gotta admit though that his voice is too damn funny, his press conferences are hard to focus on sometimes. New York is pretty hostile and the media would have a blast with him. All fun aside, I would not mind having him as a coach. I think if D'Antoni gets fired, he'll end up in Dallas. I think it's between Jackson and Johnson; Ewing has to be in the mix though at least as an assistant.

Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar

Whats goin on? Walsh should have hired a GM, and a coach by now, I guess he is waiting until the playoffs are officially over. Larry Brown got hired to the Charlotte Bobcats by the way. Knicks need a defensive coach.. and the whole team needs to be traded with the exception of Marbury, Nate and David Lee.

Lurker

Clean the whole roster, I say, and start afresh!

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Knicks need a coach who knows how to develop young players and TEACH. A coach with patience who enforces strong work ethic and a guy with high standards for his players.

STOP LOOKING AT NAMES...its more than just the name. Larry Brown sucked **** in New York because he wasn't the right fit for the type of team Knicks had, or whatever you called that disaster Isiah created.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Knicks need a coach who knows how to develop young players and TEACH. A coach with patience who enforces strong work ethic and a guy with high standards for his players.

STOP LOOKING AT NAMES...its more than just the name. Larry Brown sucked **** in New York because he wasn't the right fit for the type of team Knicks had, or whatever you called that disaster Isiah created.
    lol To this day, I don't know one thing the Knicks are good at. They have no defense. They sometimes go through long droughts without scoring. 70% of the players are 1 dimensional. The players that aren't 1 dimensional are inconsistent. The "team" rarely plays as a team(30th in the NBA in assists per game). There is no team chemistry, because some of the players like to run up and down the floor, and other players like to post up in the half court. 3/5 of the Knick starting lineup has players who are overweight. Half of the Knick roster can't shoot free throws, and 1/4 of the Knick roster has problems making layups and shooting wide open jump shots.
    Last edited by abcd; May 04, 2008 at 20:57.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Originally Posted by abcd
    lol To this day, I don't know one thing the Knicks are good at. They have no defense. They sometimes go through long droughts without scoring. 70% of the players are 1 dimensional. The players that aren't 1 dimensional are inconsistent. The "team" rarely plays as a team(30th in the NBA in assists per game). There is no team chemistry, because some of the players like to run up and down the floor, and other players like to post up in the half court. 3/5 of the Knick starting lineup has players who are overweight. Half of the Knick roster can't shoot free throws, and 1/4 of the Knick roster has problems making layups and shooting wide open jump shots.
    It doesn't take much talent to play defense, just effort and attention to detail. If you can read the offense, stick with your man and keep your hands up, you're good. Thomas didn't enforce this. He was too caught up with his own bull****. Marbury had one of his best defensive seasons two years ago and Crawford had a good one three years ago when Brown was coaching. A new voice that doesn't mind benching Richardson and Curry (if not trading them) and understand the ins and outs of defense can change this team. With a few trading tweaks the Knicks can become competitive again.

If we keep Marbury the best bet is to keep Crawford and Randolph unless some fool of a GM is willing to give us young talent for him, trade Curry for a defensively competent center. The right coach can work with Randolph's defensive wows. Curry is hopeless.

KnicksonLIN.com

It doesn't take much talent to play defense, just effort and attention to detail. If you can read the offense, stick with your man and keep your hands up, you're good. Thomas didn't enforce this. He was too caught up with his own bull****. Marbury had one of his best defensive seasons two years ago and Crawford had a good one three years ago when Brown was coaching. A new voice that doesn't mind benching Richardson and Curry (if not trading them) and understand the ins and outs of defense can change this team. With a few trading tweaks the Knicks can become competitive again.

If we keep Marbury the best bet is to keep Crawford and Randolph unless some fool of a GM is willing to give us young talent for him, trade Curry for a defensively competent center. The right coach can work with Randolph's defensive wows. Curry is hopeless.
    Good post, doncris. I agree. I think that the Knicks are capable of playing defense, but Isiah never enforced it. Like I said on a different thread, Isiah starts the players with the biggest salaries, not the ones with the most heart and talent. If the next coach of the Knicks sticks to a defensive philosophy, and if he starts the guys that perform the best, rather than the guys with the big names, I can see the Knicks winning 30-33 games next year. If not, then the Knicks will get another 23 win season. The Knicks seriously need to get rid of Quentin Richardson and Eddy Curry. Both of those guys regressed tremendously from last year. Mardy Collins, Jared Jeffries, and Jerome James have also got to go, so that the Knicks could sign some free agents.

I agree donchris.The 2 best candidates to bring back defense to this franchise are Tom Thibodeau or Avery Johnson.I'm not sure Mark Jackson could bring a defensive mentality to this team.

I think D'atoni is a better fit than Avery IMO