Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN: Knicks to prepare a "staggering" financial offer to D'antoni

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Defense is much more than athleticism. Bruce Bowen isn't athletic at all, but possesses the best perimeter man to man defensive skills in the planet.

i know what u saying and i agree wit u but amare has all the tools to take to become a force on defense

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Thats a great point, heres a site to back you up.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Amare was compared to Ben Wallace.

He had no post skills or jumpshot before arriving to Phoneix.

D'Antoni and his staff transformed Amare into one of the most talented ans SKILLED big men we can find in the world today, this transformation put Phoneix on the top. Amare has a consistant jumpshot and can handle the ball to drive and slash to the basket, plus his post game is nearly unguardable and unstoppable. Amare before the major injury was a freak, he dominated one of the best defensive big men of all time, Duncan.

So its true, Amare could be a beast on defense if he wanted to, but we have to give D'Antoni credit as a coach for getting the best out of Amare, maxing out potential. This is D'Antoni's best trait.

Plus, if we obtain D'Antoni, it'll attract a lot of free agents.

This would really favor us.

Amare was lookin better then kg and duncan before the injury. I was amazed when i saw him outplayin duncan in the playoffs. That injury slowed him down some but hes still one of the best offensive bigs in the league. He gave KG all kinds of problems 1 on 1 in the most recent suns vs celtics game. I think he had 25 at halftime but he didnt do much in the 2nd half because the celtics played better team defense. But still, hes got great moves down low.....that sounds mad homo.......no homo. I feel bad for him, he'd be sh1ttin on the league right now if it wasnt for that injury. Tony Allen of the Celtics was also slowed down by an injury, i hate to see it happen to any player.

Originally Posted by MSGKnickz33
    Amare was lookin better then kg and duncan before the injury. I was amazed when i saw him outplayin duncan in the playoffs. That injury slowed him down some but hes still one of the best offensive bigs in the league. He gave KG all kinds of problems 1 on 1 in the most recent suns vs celtics game. I think he had 25 at halftime but he didnt do much in the 2nd half because the celtics played better team defense. But still, hes got great moves down low.....that sounds mad homo.......no homo. I feel bad for him, he'd be sh1ttin on the league right now if it wasnt for that injury. Tony Allen of the Celtics was also slowed down by an injury, i hate to see it happen to any player.
    True. During the 2005 conference finals, even though the Suns lost bad, you could tell that Amare was on his way to becoming the unstoppable beast in the succeeding years. He was backing down Duncan like Duncan was Channing Frye. Fans were cheering as soon as he got the ball and posted against Duncan. Phoenix fans knew it was a sure basket. He had flawless post-up moves. That serious injury the next season was a major hit. But that's also one reason why this guy deserves a lot of credit. He recovered and is back on track. With a defensive arsenal, Dwight will be 2nd-fiddle to him.

My first choice would still be Thibodeau for coach. D'Antoni is a risk, but he'll be a risk I'm also willing to take. Good point by donchris on how the Knicks are well equipped on offense already, but good point also by metrocard on how D'Antoni gets the best out of his players judging from the Suns. I don't particularly agree that D'Antoni will attract a lot free agents, maybe... but not as much as hyped. With D'Antoni I believe we have a 50% chance of either having another Larry Brown-type season or a decent and promising season with no less than 34 wins. Regardless of whether we land Thibodeau or D'Antoni, roster moves have to happen. Problem is I think D'Antoni wants to win RIGHT AWAY, which I don't see happening soon. He's never gonna get used to losing.

In relation to the draft, if we get a top overall pick, we should draft Derrick Rose if we get D'Antoni, and Beasley if we get Thibodeau. Getting Derrick Rose would change my perception on D'Antoni's coaching effect on the Knicks. Rose would be a leader and would fit right away with his system (unless Marbury doesn't allow it).

Originally Posted by lanceroy
    Whoah! What a turn around! Knicks on a spending spree again. Or is it just a ploy to get Chicago to increase their offer? Probably not.

I'd still prefer Tom Thibodeau. If you get to watch the Celtics play, you'll usually see Thibodeau jumping from his seat and giving instructions during play sometimes even overshadowing Doc Rivers, with overly animated gestures. This guy's craving to coach and he'd be great for the Knicks. It'd be hard to apply a run-and-gun offense to the Knicks under D'antoni unless we really get lucky with the right players, which is very very unlikely just looking at the number of players we have to deal and get rid of. Basically, we lack high percentage jump shooters, explosive slashers, and a pass-first point guard. D'antoni is a great coach, but probably not who we need right now. Ewing and Jackson should start off as assistants first.
    heh...This guy was on the money.

Before I found out that this thread was created 3 years ago, I started getting that sick feeling in my stomach and nearly went to the bathroom to regurgitate.There is nothing more appalling than the thought of Mike D'antoni being offered a contract extension with the Knicks.Finding out that this thread was from 2008 was equivalent to waking up from a bad dream.

Originally Posted by knicksin60
    Before I found out that this thread was created 3 years ago, I started getting that sick feeling in my stomach and nearly went to the bathroom to regurgitate.There is nothing more appalling than the thought of Mike D'antoni being offered a contract extension with the Knicks.Finding out that this thread was from 2008 was equivalent to waking up from a bad dream.
    The same flu bug hit me for about thirty seconds. When I clicked on the link I was prepared to read about a MOA extension. Talk about sweating bullets. Thank goodness this is 3 years old...

You guys scare the **** out of me every time one of these threads are bumped...

Originally Posted by Sage
    You guys scare the **** out of me every time one of these threads are bumped...
    second that. I almost ****ed my own dog I was so scared.

Me too!

I was actually scared for about 20 seconds man!

Thank the lord ths thread is from 2008

And yeah, lanceroy was right!

Imagine if MDA did go to Chicago and we got Thibs.....

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Imagine if MDA did go to Chicago and we got Thibs.....
    They'd still be in the Conference Finals, because of D-Rose and Noah and probably Joe Johnson who would've joined them this summer instead of Boozer, but stuck there forever - just like Phoenix was under D'Antoni. Many 60+ win seasons and Conference Finals with great rosters, but no hope to ever make the Finals, let alone win a championship.

I don't know where we would be. One thing is for sure, the roster would look completely different. No STAT, Walker or Rautins under Thibs....more like Boozer, Watson and Sefolosha.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Me too!

I was actually scared for about 20 seconds man!

Thank the lord ths thread is from 2008

And yeah, lanceroy was right!
    i thougt it was a joke....not an old thread...dolan would have to be a fool...

at least my stance has always been clear about this idiot of a coach...and my desire to have thibbs as coach

Superstar

Default Thibs

I recall this thread and remembered that several posters favored Thibodeau.

For this and several other reasons, I am not prepared to sanctify Donnie Walsh. He got the Knicks under the cap, but it did not take a genius to figure that it was a necessity to do so. He also had us pick Jordan Hill when we could have had Jennings or Holiday. We have two great stars but we have important missing pieces with few draft picks going forward and very little cap room flexibility. i do not expect next year to be particularly pleasant and I see us missing out on CP3 or D. Howard in 2012. We are going to have to get very lucky to compete in the near future with Chicago, Oklahoma City and Miami.

Thumbs down

Sh!t...

I thought it was a "staggering" buy-out offer!

O'well.