Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Times Reports David Lee can get a Max Contract

Default NY Times Reports David Lee can get a Max Contract

Reshaping the Knicks Will Be a Major Test
    By HOWARD BECK
    Published: April 16, 2008

As first-round picks in 2005, Lee and Robinson are each eligible for lucrative contract extensions this summer. Without the extensions, each would become a restricted free agent in 2009 and, potentially, an unrestricted free agent in 2010.

So one of Walsh’s first critical decisions is whether to lock up the Knicks’ best young prospects at the expense of cap space in 2010. The players and their agents are watching intently.

“Donnie’s got to do what he thinks is best for the Knicks,” said Lee’s agent, Mark Bartelstein.

But, Bartelstein noted: “The reason why you try to create cap space is to try to get really good young players. I don’t know how much better you’re going to get than David Lee.”

Lee, who is averaging 10.8 points and 8.9 rebounds, has improved every year and is probably the Knicks’ most coveted player around the league. One rival agent, citing Lee’s talent, upside and popularity, suggested he could seek a maximum contract — in the range of $13 million a season. The agent did not want to be identified talking about a player who was not his client.

To keep Lee and Robinson and still get under the cap in two years, the Knicks would have to trade Randolph or Curry, possibly both.

For now, the Knicks have four players — Curry, Randolph, Jamal Crawford and Jared Jeffries — signed through 2010-11, at a total of $45.6 million. The salary cap is unknown, but based on recent figures could be around $60 million. But the Knicks will have to sign at least eight players to fill out the roster. They will have to add the contracts of a lottery pick this June and another first-round pick in 2009. The cap space will disappear quickly.

Crawford is also eligible for an extension this summer and is expected to seek it. He can opt out of his deal in 2009.

Walsh will also have to decide whether to offer extensions next year to the Knicks’ 2006 draft picks, Renaldo Balkman and Mardy Collins, and whether to pick up the option on Wilson Chandler, their first-round pick in 2007. Based on their rookie contracts, those three could make a combined $8 million in 2010-11.

In any case, it seems certain that Walsh will let four veterans leave as their contracts expire: Stephon Marbury and Malik Rose in 2009, and Quentin Richardson and Jerome James in 2010. Because teams have to balance salaries in making a trade, dealing any of them could jeopardize the Knicks’ cap space.

Yet Walsh has also said he wants the Knicks to be competitive in the next two years, which means he needs some new players. Any free agent would have to come on a short-term deal, one that expires in 2010.

Even the Knicks’ coming lottery pick is not a certainty. Since there seem to be no sure-fire stars beyond the top two picks, Walsh could try to trade the pick and package it with an unwanted contract (Curry’s or Randolph’s).

REBOUNDS

Wilson Chandler will miss the Knicks’ season finale after injuring his left knee Monday night. A magnetic resonance imaging test confirmed the initial diagnosis of a sprain and also revealed a bone bruise.
    I would go for it if I was Lee but hes not worth that much. He has improved every season, hes got a great attitude and work ethic but hes still an average defender at best. What makes him a better defender then Curry and Z-bo is that he at least knows how to play a team defense. Im wonderin what players the Knicks will re-sign and let go with several of their contracts expiring after next season. Part of me wants to laugh at this article but realistically there mite be a gm out there willing to give Lee 13 million a year.

In other words,

"See yaaaaa!"

Nyk Logo

Wow.

If th knicks don't plan on signing him and trading Randolph, now is the time to trade him since he has value.

Maybe a sign and trade with Charlotte for Okafor. That way we can package Eddy Curry.

man i hope david lee doesnt let this get into his head

David Lee a max contract??? That's like the funniest thing I've seen this side of Allan Houston's max contract.

KnicksonLIN.com

David Lee is an excellent rebounder, and he's improved his offensive talent. However, he's still not worth 13 million a year, or even 10 million a year. The most I'd give Lee is 6 million per year. More than that is going too far, in my opinion. The same goes with Nate Robinson. I would not give him more than 6 million per year.

Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar

Really I think David Lee is >> then Nate Robinson. So he deserves any amount of money like that 10 million. Zach doesn't deserve it at all, and when Jamal Crawford got his extension look at how much money he got..

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by dre48ny
    Wow.

If th knicks don't plan on signing him and trading Randolph, now is the time to trade him since he has value.

Maybe a sign and trade with Charlotte for Okafor. That way we can package Eddy Curry.
    Good idea. If I was Donnie Walsh, I'd make that type of move, too.

Man I want to puke no Lee, no D.Rose, no M.Beasley the only good thing I'm reading is the talk of loseing a bunch of salary (Curry+Z-Bo) but the thaught of loseing Lee is sickning but he's not worth the type of money their talking about. I'm a huge fan of Lee's but the absolute most I'd give him would be around 8 million per year and that would be pushing it for a 10 and 10 (rebound and points per game) kind of player. I guess the one re-assuring thing about these talks is that we would basicly get back the same player for D.Lee in E.Oakafor 10 and 10 type guy (with more shot blocking ability) at a Max Contract?(via sign and trade) While getting rid of our most awfull contract with Z-Bo. Did I miss anything? Hate to say it but I'd do it!

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Originally Posted by dre48ny
    Wow.

Agreed. I don't know what Lee's agent has been smoking. 13 million? Shiiiiiittttttt! I don't see Lee getting more than a five year 20 to 35 million dollar deal. That's between 5-7 mill a year. Fk 13! No way. I've never been for trading Lee more than I am now if this does go to his head. I say destroy and rebuild. Lee, Randolph, Curry, Collins, can all 'kick rocks'. (thats old school) Call me crazy but I would consider taking Juan Howard over Lee rather than give him a max deal.

Veteran

package his lily white ass with one (or two) of our under-welming players for a pick or a player..

13m for a guy who has limited skills (yes he hustles), a 5ft (max) range, and plays little "D"...

don't let the door hit ya on the way out...

Originally Posted by paris401
    package his lily white ass with one (or two) of our under-welming players for a pick or a player..

13m for a guy who has limited skills (yes he hustles), a 5ft (max) range, and plays little "D"...

lmao great post. You told it how it is but some people on here might catch feelings about the "lil white ass" line.

Veteran

don't mean to diss the caucasian race... $hit i'm one of em...

I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers being thrown out there by Lee's agent or anyone else. It's just the beginning of a negotiation. I heard the Knicks countered with 11 cents.

Now they can negotiate.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by paris401

I agree. If there's a way to package Eddy Curry or Quentin Richardson with David Lee for a draft pick, an expiring contract, or a talented player, I would do it.