D'antoni Accepts Offer to Coach Knicks

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Patrick Ewing was the assistant coach of the Rockets and Magic. Dwight Howard is one of the best defensive big men in the NBA, and Yao Ming is a good shot blocker, too, as well as an excellent jump shooter. Yes, Ewing is a defensive minded coach, and those are the facts that prove it. Ewing is also the all time Knick leader in blocks and steals, in case you were wondering.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Yes we all want a championship, but we have to snap back to reality and realize we ain't winning one in the next 3-4 years. Even with Thibodeau. And I'm sure almsot everyone here will agree that the Suns should have won at least one championship, if not only for some unfortunate and uncontrollable incidents. We haven't even made the playoffs yet. Let's think about the championship realistically after that. I don't know how Walsh is gonna do it, but we need to make some important roster movements right away. Like I said previously, with D'Antoni, we have a 50% chance of either having another Larry Brown season or a promising season with no less than 34 wins, and start of something good long-term.

I'll be looking forward this offseason ESPECIALLY to the draft. Oh and regarding out current roster, I don't think Q should be as hyped as being a great fit for D'Antoni having already played for him. Q doesn't have the legs anymore. I'd rather give much much more minutes to Chandler or Balkman. And if given a choice, though I'd rather we get rid of both, I would rather retain Curry than Randolph. Randolph would be a bum in D'Antoni's style.

But if we had Tom Thibodeau we would start getting players that fit his defensive system. Now we will be getting players that fit D'antoni's system. Which means we will have to eventually rebuild again (see what the Suns are doing now) when D'antoni is fired after 3 years.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I guess the only bright side to this is if we can somehow draft Ricky Rubio next year. He would do really well in D'antoni's system.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
But if we had Tom Thibodeau we would start getting players that fit his defensive system. Now we will be getting players that fit D'antoni's system. Which means we will have to eventually rebuild again (see what the Suns are doing now) when D'antoni is fired after 3 years.

It was really the acquisition of Shaq that destroyed the suns, and lettin kurt thomas go. Why wasnt D'antoni playin skinner or any of the young guys? Thats where i thought he made mistakes, phoenix didnt seem deep enough to beat the spurs and thats why i picked san antonio. They got diaw, barbosa, and giricek. brain skinner whos a very physical defender played 4 of the 5 games against the spurs and only averaged 5.3 minutes off the bench. Marion was a versatile defender who guarded multiple positions for them, and D'antoni liked the trade. Steve Kerr has to take blame as well, most of the blame probably goes to him.

Kerr said himself:

im an idiot if this does not work

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
The reason the Knicks need a defensive minded coach, or at least a coach who understands defense wins championship is because, the knicks as disfunctional as they are on any given night can put up 100 points. But then again they'll give up 120.

Going under the assumption that GM's will just take Zach, Eddy, Q, The 2 JJ's is ridiculous. these guys have big controcts and long contracts, its just foolish. so D'antoni comes here with his style and he has no one on the team who can play this style.. great job Donnie

Now I will accept the arguement that Pat Riley came to the Knicks from Showtime and made the Knicks a great defensive team, so yea it can be done. But you have to remember than those Laker teams weren't crappy defenders, AND they knew how to play the half court game as well as the up-tempo game. Something the Suns never showed under d'antoni.

ya know what....FCK THE D'ANTONI Signing

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
what has patrick ewing done that proves he a defensive minded coach????and when have u seen a former player who's a center being a head coach in the NBA??PGs turn out to be the best coaches cuz they're floor generals

Are you kidding me? Besides Lenny Wilkens, and Larry Brown, all the Leading Head Coaches are Forwards ..JErry SLoan, Pat Riley, Rudy T. Don Nelson, Gregg Poppovich(plyed in college), and of course Phil Jackson.

This point guard as head coach bullcrap is a friggin Fad.. they all have brief success but none have won championships with the exception of two I stated.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
NO...NO...NO!!! This is awful. We can all forget about the Knicks ever winning a championship now. D'antoni is a great coach, but this is just a terrible match. I'm starting to wonder how good a GM Walsh is now. The Knicks greatest defenciency was defense. And now we bring in a coach that doesn't teach defense at all.

The players we have now do not fit into D'antoni's system. And even if Walsh is somehow able to clean house (almost impossible) and get players that will fit D'antoni's system, I still believe a run-and-gun style will never beat a defensive/low-post offensive style in the playoffs.

Yeah, eventually the Knicks maybe an exciting offensive team and have a good regular season record, but they will never be able to win a championship. Isn't that why we are all here and what this is all about? Eventually bringing a championship to New York?

Come on people, don't let your love for the Knicks and desperation to have a competitive team cloud your judgement. Remember all the people saying the Marbury/Francis comdo would be the best backcourt in the NBA? Remember all the people saying the Randolph/Curry combo would be one of the best frontcourts in the NBA? This is the same thing.

D'antoni came here strictly for the money. I think the word is out. Dolan is an easy man to rob.

I feel your pain, but look on the bright side. I would have preferred it to be Tony T. but at least it's not Mark Jackson. So much for the front runner bullshit that every paper reported.

To me Eddie Curry is the odd man out. Randolph can fit in to D'Antoni's system. There are many line up options to choose from but we need to make trades. Right now if Curry isn't immediately traded, I'd bench him and start Jeffries in his place. Jeffries (6'11) will at least play defense and run the floor.

One of the top priorities after the draft should be trading Curry, Richardson

metrocard

Legend
Are you guys high?

Stop talking about a championship.

D'Antoni got guys like Barbosa and Diaw to play to their full potential who were considered bust before D'Antoni's arrival.

D'Antoni never won a chip in Phoneix, but he was as close as it gets to getting to the Finals. Thats good enough considering its been a decade since we've seen the orange and blue in the Finals.

LJ4PT...you probably envisioned Knicks winning a championship with Isiah holding the trophy, always staying a true Isiahsexual. Stop hating on D'Antoni., the guy can coach a strong basketball team.

Running a fastest tempo offense in the world, you won't have a good defense because you're giving the other team more shot opportunities.

You would repeat the depression of Isiah-basketball for the Knicks or start a new era of playoff appearances 50+ win seasons?

If you're not satisfied with the Knicks making the playoffs every season and can't consider that an accomplishment, then just stop being a fan. D'Antoni was brought here to turn things around, change the culture in the Garden. I trust that he will do that, and prove a lot of his doubters wrong.

Its not like we're loaded with skilled defenders, so stop crying for a defensive guru. We'll eventually nab a defensive assistant coach.

The goal now is

Trade Crawford, Randolph, and Curry. These guys kill ball movement and isolate too much.

Build through the draft.

Get a big and a PG in this draft, this draft is loaded with PG's and Big Men.

Acquire shooters in the free agency.

Everything is looking good right...I'm loving the good news finally. Finally we could move on from the crime Isiah got terminated for, looking forward to a brighter future for the Knicks.

King Ewing

Banned
First off, I just want to say I'm a first time poster, I've been looking for a good Knicks message board for months. And after reading this board for a few weeks I think I found one.

Second I dont like this signing one bit. We need a defensive minded coach, not a run and gun coach. I know he's a good coach, I just dont like the run and gun in NY.

I dont like the signing at all.....

metrocard

Legend
When was the last time we've had run and gun in New York?

We had Larry Brown, he's a defensive guru; how did that work out?

This team isn't BUILT for a defensive coach. You need to sign and trade for the right players to have a good defensive team. Defense is individual effort.

Offense takes a lot more and is harder to teach. D'Antoni is a master to making one dimensional players like Raja Bell a 15 ppg scorer.

This is a great move in every sense.

We're rebuilding, we're going to draft lottery picks. What BETTER system for these lottery pick/future franchise Knicks to play in than D'Antoni.

D'Antoni's system also attracts free agents, which means we don't have to overpay moronically like Isiah.

You guys need to use logic and think this over before you give you personal opinion. Personally I wanted Mark Jackson here, but I understand this move and it was a genius move by Walsh. We got D'Antoni for cheap and stole him from our rival, the Bulls.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Are you kidding me? Besides Lenny Wilkens, and Larry Brown, all the Leading Head Coaches are Forwards ..JErry SLoan, Pat Riley, Rudy T. Don Nelson, Gregg Poppovich(plyed in college), and of course Phil Jackson.

This point guard as head coach bullcrap is a friggin Fad.. they all have brief success but none have won championships with the exception of two I stated.

u obviously lookin to argue cuz i clearly stated centers, u came up wit forwards

stevie

Benchwarmer
I think Crawford is history. He is one of our only marketable assets who will def. be packaged with some of the bad the contracts.

metrocard

Legend
Crawford has to GO; he was Isiah's son.

Walsh told D'Antoni he was committed to giving him the players he needs to succeed. He even went through each player on the roster with his coach-to-be, discussing who would be a good fit and who wouldn't.

This trade works

Brad Miller
Ron Artest
Francisco Garcia

for

Eddy Curry
Jamal Crawford
Nate Robinson
Jerome James

Kings
Crawford/Robinson
Martin/Beno
Salmons
Thomas/Moore
Curry/Hawes

Number 12 pick, possibly a UCLA Bruin, Westbrook(need of a PG) or Kevin Love(need of a PF)

Knicks

Marbury/Collins
Garcia/Chandler
Artest/Balkman
Lee/Randolph
Miller/Morris

If we stay @ 5, we could hopefully pick up Mayo, if not there go with safe pick and get Augustin or Brook Lopez.

I'm just hoping for a change.

Last edited:

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I stated previously, that whoever the Knicks ended up taking I would end up supporting just because I'm a fan and I want the team to succeed. There are other candidates that I think would have been a better choicem but thats neither here nor there, as this dude is now the coach.

THe problem I have with this signing is simple. You don't come out and state you want to rebuild, and start to save money, and the first thing you do is sign an "elite" coach as the person to lead your "rebuilding" team. it doesn't make sense. And then Walsh is going on the premise that he'll give D'Antoni players he needs, but how exactly does he go about doing this? AND, I don't understand how some people continue to discount defense as an important criteria in building a successful team. I mean damn, if the Knicks played a lil bit of defense they could have won at least 10 extra games this past year.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Are you guys high?

Stop talking about a championship.

D'Antoni got guys like Barbosa and Diaw to play to their full potential who were considered bust before D'Antoni's arrival.

D'Antoni never won a chip in Phoneix, but he was as close as it gets to getting to the Finals. Thats good enough considering its been a decade since we've seen the orange and blue in the Finals.

LJ4PT...you probably envisioned Knicks winning a championship with Isiah holding the trophy, always staying a true Isiahsexual. Stop hating on D'Antoni., the guy can coach a strong basketball team.

Running a fastest tempo offense in the world, you won't have a good defense because you're giving the other team more shot opportunities.

You would repeat the depression of Isiah-basketball for the Knicks or start a new era of playoff appearances 50+ win seasons?

If you're not satisfied with the Knicks making the playoffs every season and can't consider that an accomplishment, then just stop being a fan. D'Antoni was brought here to turn things around, change the culture in the Garden. I trust that he will do that, and prove a lot of his doubters wrong.

Its not like we're loaded with skilled defenders, so stop crying for a defensive guru. We'll eventually nab a defensive assistant coach.

The goal now is

Trade Crawford, Randolph, and Curry. These guys kill ball movement and isolate too much.

Build through the draft.

Get a big and a PG in this draft, this draft is loaded with PG's and Big Men.

Acquire shooters in the free agency.

Everything is looking good right...I'm loving the good news finally. Finally we could move on from the crime Isiah got terminated for, looking forward to a brighter future for the Knicks.

You're satisfied with never seeing the Knicks win a championship? You're satisifed with just a playoff team? For now, I will definitely be happy if the Knicks are competitive again and in the playoffs but eventually I will not be satisifed with just that. The Knicks have never won a champioship within my entire lifetime! Someday I want them to win and I personally don't believe the run-and-gun style can win a championship in the NBA. I think D'antoni is a good coach, and he is a definite improvement, but I prefer a defensive team. This is a step forward, but that's not saying much, and it will eventually lead to what the Suns are doing now. Which is trying to get better defensively because they knew the D'antoni style could not win a championship.