Donnie & Mr. Pringle's New Knicks

Starks

Starter
Lots of different threads all on the same issue. Figured I'd start one to discuss MikeD (Pringles) new team that he is constructing.

So far it looks like...

Marbury out
Barbosa and Diaw in.

I'm not sure I like the idea of trading 22mil that comes off the books in a few months for anything.

BUT

I love Barbosa. He is a likeable guy, plays hard and is a hell of a lot smarter than Crawford, who is a level or two below Barbosa in talent/skill.

If this goes through, Cawford's gotta go next.

On Diaw,
I like him, Lee, and Chandler- But I would feel more comfortable if the Knicks made a move for Camby.

Here's my reasoable squad for next year:

Jose Calderon
Barbosa
Lee
Micheal Beasley?
Camby

2nd Unit guys I'd like
Diaw
Chandler
Nate

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
pringles%20logo%203.gif

Good one starks, i see the resemblence.

Marcus camby would be a good pickup, hes got 2 years left on his contract. Im not sure if we'd be able to work out a deal but camby is still far >>> then curry will ever be. He hasnt slowed down at all yet.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think it would be stupid and isiah-like to trade marbury and it has nothin to do with him being my favorite player. How about we let a contract expire for a change? Whats next, are they gonna trade malik rose? Diaw and Barbosa both have 4 years left on their contract.

jimenezz7

Benchwarmer
Please dont ever trade a big expiring contract for mediocore talent,Bealive me we will regret it those two guys are good but not worth a contract we can pay a franchise player.Always remember we traded a big expiring contract for Shannon Anderson and the other role player from the Jazz look how that worked out.

Walsh and D'antoni would be bonifide idiots..

If they traded Steph for those two when the real issue with hit uptempo game killer would be the slow lazy Center, and Black hole non athletic pf he has.

I doubt this deal will go through at all. It would benefit D'antoni to play a season with what he has to see what he'll need first anyways. I don't forsee too many huge moves.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Mike denied saying anything about wanting marbury traded during the press conference. He said he looks forward to working with him. The only thing we can do from here is wait to see what happens this offseason. Again the only thing i hope is that we dont go for the quick fix.

Starks

Starter
pringles%20logo%203.gif

Good one starks, i see the resemblence.

Marcus camby would be a good pickup, hes got 2 years left on his contract. Im not sure if we'd be able to work out a deal but camby is still far >>> then curry will ever be. He hasnt slowed down at all yet.

holy shit. It's like someone cloned him and put photoshoped his headshot on a can

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Current Goal

What the team should be in the near future depends on the long term goal. I do not think that either Walsh or D'Antoni is looking for a quick fix. The real question is whether the goal is to free cap space by 2010 when LeBron, Wade, Bosh and others are free agents and there is enough to entice one of them, particularly LeBron.

If the goal is to free cap space by 2010, then, as much as I like them, Barbosa and Diaw will not work. Their sizable contracts extend beyond 2010.

As matters now stand, the Knicks' committed 2010 salaries are Randolph at 17.33M; Curry at 11.27M; Crawford at 10.08M; and Jefferies at 6.88M. Each has three years - through 2010 - left on his contract. There are several teams with players with bloated contracts that expire in 2009. For example, Cleveland's Ben Wallace will make 14M next year and 14.5 M in 2009; Chicago's Larry Hughes will make 12.87M and then 13.6M; Indiana's Jermaine O'Neil will get 21.37M and 23.1M; and Shaquille will get 20M for the next two years from Phoenix. There are plenty of others at significant, but lesser, amounts; Thomas and Rahim at Sacramento; Simmons at Milwaukee; Blount and Haslem with Miami; Milicic and Cardinal at Memphis; Watson and Ridnour at Seattle; Mobley and Tim Thomas with the Clippers.

If the Knicks really want cap space in 2010, they are well advised to get rid of Randolph soon. He is not likely to increase in value under D'Antoni's system. Would Chicago take him and his three year contract with a package that included Hughes with his two year contract? We do not have to like Hughes, he will be off the books in 2010. This is just one example.

I do not think Jefferies will be easy to trade either and although he can run, he can not shoot. Crawford might thrive under D'Antoni and Howard Beck of the Times thinks there is a chance for Curry who is athletic but fat. Crawford's and Curry's trade value might increase.

We will have a good draft pick this year and probably a good one next year. Currently we do not have a first round pick in 2010. That makes the ability to get a free agent in 2010 all the more appealing.

If the goal is not to free cap space for 2010,or that goal is realistically unreachable, then I like Barbosa and Diaw, but I do not see Phoenix trading them for Marbury and his expiring contract.

pat

Starter
I think it would be stupid and isiah-like to trade marbury and it has nothin to do with him being my favorite player. How about we let a contract expire for a change? Whats next, are they gonna trade malik rose? Diaw and Barbosa both have 4 years left on their contract.

But they have four years in which they -- most likely -- won't slow down. They are both not old and could become valuable to assist a possible franchise-player we could get in the draft. I can't see how these two players should be in the way of a rebuilt (if it is not based on signing free agents).

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Good move, but I rather have money off the books, but D'Antoni knows Marburys attitude problems, he is like a women in pms stage. Marbury needs what he asks for without any efforts on his part, and he never gets results he wants. I don't see why the Suns would be a trade like that, only in the matter of a 21 million dollar savings, and thats probably why they would make the trade, actually that is why. Marburys poor leadership, and attitude is seen by everyone around the league. You are right, ^^^ Jamal Crawford, and the big 2 need to go next, along with Q Rich, and all the other junk Thomas brought here, Is Malik Rose's contract ending next season too? 7 million off the books.

As for Barbosa he needs a good point guard to make him the player he is in Phoenix.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
But they have four years in which they -- most likely -- won't slow down. They are both not old and could become valuable to assist a possible franchise-player we could get in the draft. I can't see how these two players should be in the way of a rebuilt (if it is not based on signing free agents).

Were still givin up a chance to clear 20 million. Again it has nothin to do with marbury bein my favorite, if we were talkin about crawford i would still say let his contract expire. That should be the first priority. To say this would be an isiah type of move is going too far because at least we would be gettin value in return but its still not the answer.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Marbaury for Barbosa and Diaw aint happening!

First off, the problem with that trade scenerio is that we would have to add another 5 million dollars coming to The Knicks to make that happen....not going to happen just for those two players. The Knicks and Suns can orchestrate that same trade using Malik Rose and Jamal Crawford. So if Mike D were insistent on having either of those players, then the Malik Crawford package would make the most sense.

But we must also realize that Donnie Walsh wants a shot at Lebron, even if the chances are slim that we get him, he wants to put himself in position to be able to go after him, I don't think Barbosa and Diaw would be worth missing out on a slight chance at James. Both of those contracts have four more years on them. I mean Diaw and Jamal's contract are about even, but we would still eat one more year.

GetRealistic

Starter
I'm the biggest Marbury hater out there, but i can't even sign off on this trade. Diaw and Barbosa are fairly solid players that would fit the system D'antonio would ideally like to play. Then again Diaw and Barbosa fit the system when Nash orchestrates it, they Knicks don't have a player anywhere near the caliber of Nash.

Personally i'd rather Marbury never play another game with the Knicks. But i'd rather just let him sit on the sidelines then trade his expiring contract. That contract is the biggest assest we have as a trade. I know people are going to call me a Marbury hater (which i am) for saying i don't even want him play a game, but i honestly don't want him around our first round pick. I don't want Marbury warping the mind of a Derrick Rose.

As far as fitting the system, we all know that Crawford will never be a all star but in this system i could deffinately see him excelling, I have no problem with keeping him around. And like one of the posters above mentioned i read the article in the Post today about Curry fitting the system. And it may sound crazy but it makes sense. Curry is fat and out of shape but for a guy his size he is really athletic. Obviously he'll only be able to play about 28 minutes a night in this system, but he'd excel in a quick post up system. Lee grabs the rebound and all Curry has to do is sprint to the box for an entry pass and makes a quick one step move. Not saying it'll work but the author of the article rose a few good points.

pat

Starter
I mean Diaw and Jamal's contract are about even, but we would still eat one more year.

And this is why the Suns will never go for a deal involving Jamal. 20 millions of the books is everything the Knicks can offer right now.

Lebron won't go to any team that cannot compete for the title immediately. If he doesn't want what he has right now. Consequently, you need to surround him with players that can compete.

And like one of the posters above mentioned i read the article in the Post today about Curry fitting the system. And it may sound crazy but it makes sense. Curry is fat and out of shape but for a guy his size he is really athletic. Obviously he'll only be able to play about 28 minutes a night in this system, but he'd excel in a quick post up system.

And maybe he will even lose a few pounds running that much. *lol*

Blas

Benchwarmer
Wasn't Barbosa the one who cried when someone played a prank on him saying he got traded to the knicks?

Besides that, I cannot take this seriously. I know Walsh likes D'antoni, and grabbed him as soon as he was available, and might be influenced if D'antoni suggested such a thing but I think Walsh is focused on getting us free cap space by 2010.

We can draft a potential star this draft. We have young talent that can contribute. Crawford has proven to play well when he comes off the bench. Curry can be an offensive juggernaut.

It does not make sense to trade Marbury to add more contracts, which would hurt our young talent, because again they won't get playing time.

pat

Starter
It does not make sense to trade Marbury to add more contracts, which would hurt our young talent, because again they won't get playing time.

Barbosa is 25 and Diaw is 26. They can be potential components of "our young talent". It's the same phenomenon as with Tony Parker, or Nowitzki: you have the impression they are way older than they actually are, because international players mostly enter the NBA without playing any college ball. The only problem I see is that N8 and Barbosa are about similar. But as much as I like N8, I would prefer Barbosa.

stevie

Benchwarmer
Not going to happen

Donnie W. was all ready on Mike and the Mad Dog saying he would not give up 20 million off the books for two contracts with 4 years each. So its a dead issue. What does make sense is to package Marbury with someone like Randolph for contracts that expire in 2 years and an extra draft pic. If we can't do that I still say look for someone like DeAndre in the draft and push for Rubio next year the kid is the real deal.

nyk24

Rookie
I dont know any team that's willing or able to absorb over 35 million a year with Marbury and Randolph. Not to mention the fact that Randolph is a cancer in the locker room. Our best best is to let all the contracts expire and dangle Curry and/or Randolph's expiring deals when they have 2 years left on their contracts.

If we can't do that I still say look for someone like DeAndre in the draft and push for Rubio next year the kid is the real deal.
i still dont think we can really trust a high school kid to turn this franchise around. ALOT of things change from high school to college. And even college to nba. I havent even seen him play yet i guess ill check on youtube.