D'Antoni Big On Crawford, Robinson, Less On Lee

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Daily News Saturday, May 17th 2008
by Mitch Lawrence

Garden favorites or not, more than a few Knicks' days are probably numbered. When the Suns had a chance to draft David Lee in 2005, Mike D'Antoni opposed it, citing Lee's lack of offensive skills.

Lee hasn't developed much of a game since, and hustle and rebounding only go so far for the Knicks' new coach. In Phoenix, he wanted his big men to be scoring threats from all over the court, and that probably won't change. So that doesn't bode well for Renaldo Balkman or Randolph Morris, either.

Despite his status with fans, Lee has limited range and trouble getting his shot off in traffic. When it comes to another member of the 2005 draft, D'Antoni is much higher on Nate Robinson, whom the Suns drafted and immediately packaged with Quentin Richardson for Kurt Thomas.

"Mike doesn't like guys like Lee who can't shoot," a D'Antoni confidant said. "He saw him as a non-scoring power forward when he came out of Florida. But that's why a guy like Jamal Crawford is going to be around. He will thrive in Mike's system. And he likes Nate a lot, too. Mike likes guys who can make plays from anywhere on the court."

Even Zach Randolph will have to diversify his game. In this case, "diversify" doesn't mean shooting more, as "Zebo" probably thinks. He'll have to do more than just catch, hold, dribble, hold, hold some more, and then shoot. Eddy Curry? Who knows what he'll have to do to play in D'Antoni's system - other than the obvious fact that he will have to get into the best shape of his life. Jerome James is a candidate for a buyout or to be packaged in a deal in which the Knicks trade Lee and require the other team to take James, too. On second thought, no one can be that desperate.

I don't agree with this at all. I think Lee will flourish under D'antoni. Just because he can't shoot doesn't mean he won't contribute and play well in the run-and-gun. And just because Crawford scores a lot of points doesn't mean he will play well. Jamal jacking up 3's every posession, at a low fg%, is not going to improve this team.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I love the vague term "Mike D'antoni confidant" which is probably the coach of his son's jr. high team! Until Mike comes straight out and says it, then I dont believe he said it.

Players like Stephen Hunter played significant minutes for Mike D'antoni and Lee has more game than him. David is working on his jumper, he is one of the leagues best rebounders, and he can hit the free throw at a high pct. Also he can get up and down the floor and finish breaks, I thik David Lee is on the ideal players on the team for the run and gun

Lastly, everyone has to stop thinking that we are automatically going to be a run team next season. Donnie Walsh has said he made this hire because he thought that Mike Dantoni can flat out coach. Mike Dantoni said that he adapted that run and gun style with The Suns because it fit the personal that he had, not because that is his preffered method of coaching. Now the question is can he come up with a method for these Knicks?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I love the vague term "Mike D'antoni confidant" which is probably the coach of his son's jr. high team! Until Mike comes straight out and says it, then I dont believe he said it.

Players like Stephen Hunter played significant minutes for Mike D'antoni and Lee has more game than him. David is working on his jumper, he is one of the leagues best rebounders, and he can hit the free throw at a high pct. Also he can get up and down the floor and finish breaks, I thik David Lee is on the ideal players on the team for the run and gun

Lastly, everyone has to stop thinking that we are automatically going to be a run team next season. Donnie Walsh has said he made this hire because he thought that Mike Dantoni can flat out coach. Mike Dantoni said that he adapted that run and gun style with The Suns because it fit the personal that he had, not because that is his preffered method of coaching. Now the question is can he come up with a method for these Knicks?
I agree that David Lee could fit into D'Antoni's system. Andris Biedrins is not a good shooter; he plays similar to David Lee, and he was able to succeed in the Golden State Warriors' system(the same system that the Suns have been using). I am not a fan of D'Antoni's system, or of Walsh's decision to sign D'Antoni for so many years and dollars, but Lee could definitely work out under a fast pace style.

Kiyaman

Legend
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">
Daily News Saturday, May 17th 2008
by Mitch Lawrence

Garden favorites or not, more than a few Knicks' days are probably numbered. When the Suns had a chance to draft David Lee in 2005, Mike D'Antoni opposed it, citing Lee's lack of offensive skills.

Lee hasn't developed much of a game since, and hustle and rebounding only go so far for the Knicks' new coach. In Phoenix, he wanted his big men to be scoring threats from all over the court, and that probably won't change. So that doesn't bode well for Renaldo Balkman or Randolph Morris, either.

Despite his status with fans, Lee has limited range and trouble getting his shot off in traffic. When it comes to another member of the 2005 draft, D'Antoni is much higher on Nate Robinson, whom the Suns drafted and immediately packaged with Quentin Richardson for Kurt Thomas.

"Mike doesn't like guys like Lee who can't shoot," a D'Antoni confidant said. "He saw him as a non-scoring power forward when he came out of Florida. But that's why a guy like Jamal Crawford is going to be around. He will thrive in Mike's system. And he likes Nate a lot, too. Mike likes guys who can make plays from anywhere on the court."

Even Zach Randolph will have to diversify his game. In this case, "diversify" doesn't mean shooting more, as "Zebo" probably thinks. He'll have to do more than just catch, hold, dribble, hold, hold some more, and then shoot. Eddy Curry? Who knows what he'll have to do to play in D'Antoni's system - other than the obvious fact that he will have to get into the best shape of his life. Jerome James is a candidate for a buyout or to be packaged in a deal in which the Knicks trade Lee and require the other team to take James, too. On second thought, no one can be that desperate.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I dont agree with any of that. Amare Stoudamire was'nt a scorer when D'Antoni took over for Phoenix, plus Amare just started hitting his jumpers last season.
Lee and Nate was'nt important back then, what was important was D'Antoni wanted Back-Injury Q.Richardson off the Phoenix roster more than anything, even if it meant trading the team late first rounder too.

tiger0330

Legend
Everyone on this team is expendable even Lee. If he does get traded we better get a Ron Artest caliber player back for Lee.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I dont agree with any of that. Amare Stoudamire was'nt a scorer when D'Antoni took over for Phoenix, plus Amare just started hitting his jumpers last season.
Lee and Nate was'nt important back then, what was important was D'Antoni wanted Back-Injury Q.Richardson off the Phoenix roster more than anything, even if it meant trading the team late first rounder too.

Thats almost exactly what i was gonna say. Lee was startin to get more comfortable with his jumper, it wouldnt suprise me to see him knock it down more often next year.