DJ Augistine is headed to the Knicks!?

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080602

Well from reading his scouting report I have been hoping that the Knicks give serious consideration to this kid. The NBA comparison says he could be a better version of Jameer Nelson. He appears to be a playmaker who can knock down shots, and can finish in the lane. The major knock on him is he is only 5'11 (one inch shorter than Chris Paul, and three inches taller than Nate)and the concern is can he finish as effectively as he did in college against bigger players, and can he gaurd bigger players? Also it appears he tends to over dribble at times, but I think that also has to do with him only being a sophomore (which is considered a seasoned vet nowadays in college) and with a good coach that can be worked on. Also one of his strengths is a solid build so that often helps with a lack of size. From what I have been reading he could be as good a Pro as Nate was in last years summer league! But as we all know drafting for an immediate need is the best way to lose in the draft. I would like this pick if we did more with our roster to compliment this pick ie. get some more fundamentally sound players who play team ball.

unless there is sumthing else up the knicks sleeve id like more of an impact player at this pick... that said id like to take anthony randolph
he has the ability to be a star in the future
augustine will be decent to good but you need to surround him with some finishers to be successful
if we take randolph it gives you the ability to to start with some athletic young talent to build around and you could also deal lee comfortably at this point... i love lee ... but in all reality he will never be a star nothing more then a 10 / 10 guy... if you dish him with a heavy contract like zbo or curry you can either get a talent back or in my mind more importantly more picks for either now or the future... maybe one a little later this year to take either a augustine westbrook lopez jordan alexander or greene and a future first rounder

this could give us two young guys to build around this year
either two big guys or a big guy and a guard

plus it allows us to start fresh and develope some talent to draw in future big name free agents

i just think augustine will be a bust unless we give him sumone athletic and exciting to feed off off

jpz17

Starter
No.. 4 pgs will be hard to have play.. Collins Nate D.J. and the guy who will domand the most playing time Marbury

metrocard

Legend
Augustine had no finishers @ Texas and still was successful, Durant said himself he wouldn't be as successful as he was without Augustine.

Augustin is the best pure PG in the draft.

Augustin plays nothing like Nelson. They're just both the same size.

Anthony Randolph is 6"11 and anorexic, he isn't an impact player. He's going to take a lot of time to develop in the NBA. Augustin is an IMPACT PG and the most mature PG in this draft and he's only 20.

You don't need to draft the best athlete or the most tallest or the most youngest...those are the 3 main things that target a bust pick. You have to look deeper than those 3 things.

jpz17, Robinson and Collns aren't PG's.

pat

Starter
Augustine had no finishers @ Texas and still was successful, Durant said himself he wouldn't be as successful as he was without Augustine.

Augustin is the best pure PG in the draft.

Augustin plays nothing like Nelson. They're just both the same size.

Anthony Randolph is 6"11 and anorexic, he isn't an impact player. He's going to take a lot of time to develop in the NBA. Augustin is an IMPACT PG and the most mature PG in this draft and he's only 20.

You don't need to draft the best athlete or the most tallest or the most youngest...those are the 3 main things that target a bust pick. You have to look deeper than those 3 things.

jpz17, Robinson and Collns aren't PG's.

So you reckon Marbury will be moved to the two or traded? Or is Augustin going to be his backup?

metrocard

Legend
Marbury will start since he has the most experience under D'Antoni.

Augustin will mature, learn and progress. His NBA sophmore season is where he would flourish, like most NBA PG's. I see Augustin playing 20 minutes his rookie year.

metrocard

Legend
Robinson and Collins are pgs

^ Both are combo guards with a secondary position as PG, especially with Marbury on the team. Collins primary position is SG. Nate plays PG because of his height, but really is a SG or Off guard when he's on the floor.

Paul1355

All Star
I'd take Augustine for now but pre-draft camp will really show the Knicks who can fit in their system...If Mayo's is available get him definetly over every one else...then Augustine and this guy Anthony Randolph look like they have great potential so check out Randolph as well...he's a 6'11 PF but I'd put him at C

metrocard

Legend
I'd take Augustine for now but pre-draft camp will really show the Knicks who can fit in their system...If Mayo's is available get him definetly over every one else...then Augustine and this guy Anthony Randolph look like they have great potential so check out Randolph as well...he's a 6'11 PF but I'd put him at C

He's 6"11 but only around 200-210 pounds. He has to wear a long selve shirt to cover his bones.

arandolph01.jpg

Paul1355

All Star
ok but from what scouts say he has great potential he may be skinney dude look at chris bosh he's all bones you don't see anyone complaining i dont give a crap if he's skinney he can block shots and that's what i care about and he can score so check his skill out not his arm size.

metrocard

Legend
ok but from what scouts say he has great potential he may be skinney dude look at chris bosh he's all bones you don't see anyone complaining i dont give a crap if he's skinney he can block shots and that's what i care about and he can score so check his skill out not his arm size.

He isn't the prospect Chris Bosh was. Chris Bosh would of been a top 3 pick in this draft, Bosh was a draftee is one of the greatest drafts of our decade.

Randolph blocks shots but is a very poor man to man defender.

? Lacks strength
? Skinny frame
? Lives off instincts/Lacks fundamentals
? Forces issue/ Doesn?t know limitations
? Turnover prone
? Cannot hold spot on the block
? Fades away/Struggles finishing through contact
? Poor 3-point shooter
? Shot selection
? All-around defense
? Can he guard NBA PFs?
? Pushed around in post
? Inconsistent motor
? Lacks awareness
? Always on losing teams
? Intangibles?
? Abnormally high bust potential

Too many weaknesses for me, he would be a poor selection @ 6.

Paul1355

All Star
when scouts say high potential my head goes up so all im sayin is if he has great potential i want to know what scouts see in this guy but a pick 6 yea prob not the best choice but his stock has risen in mock drafts from his prediction before the mock draft

metrocard

Legend
Kwame Brown
kwame-brown-hd.jpg

NBA Comparison: Kevin Garnett

Strengths: Like Garnett, KB has freakish athleticism. Already bulkier than Garnett and could turn into more of a Webber type post player. Very graceful running the floor. Tremendous leaping aility. Passes and handles extraordinarily well for a 6-11 player. May still be growing. Touch on shots is excellent, and should only improve. Post game is solid. Very good shot blocker.

Weaknesses: Inconsistency. Like any 18 year old coming straight to the league will take his lumps and see plenty of pine. Some have questions about his competiveness.

Stromile Swift
stromile-swift-hd.jpg

NBA Comparison: Shawn Kemp

Strengths: Amazing atlhete. As a senior in HS dunked from the free throw line in a dunk contest. Very good moves around the basket. Has all the tools to become a top PF in the NBA. Good hands, soft touch. Good competitor. Look at the muscles on those arms!!!!------>

Weaknesses: Inexperience. Passing and defense can improve. Post moves can get much better. Needs to demand the ball and take over more then he does already.

Marcus Fizer
marcus-fizer-hd.jpg

NBA comparison: Charles Barkley

Strengths: Super strong and athletic. Mentally tough. Great competitor. Can score both in the post or on the perimeter. Has very good ball handling skills. Versatility will allow him to play some small forward. His strength, positioning, and leaping ability will help overcome heigh disadvantages for rebounds. Excells in half court or open court despite lack of speed. Has good quickness. A winner.

Weaknesses: A bit short for the PF position. Not extremely fast in the open floor.

A true warrior, Marcus Fizer has turned the Cyclones into a legit possible Final Four team. Combining great strength and athleticism with a nice shooting touch, Marcus looks as close to Charles Barkley as any player since. Exhibiting super leaping ability and body control, Fizer excels both on the break or in a half court set. Like Sir Charles, Marcus has a certain attitude that he brings to every game that he will not be denied. When a game is on the line Marcus wants the ball in his hands and has come up big late in games throughout his career.

Darius Miles
darius-miles-hd.jpg

NBA Comparison: Tracy McGrady

Strengths: A freak athletically. Super quickness. Very fast running the floor. Future wing player. Upside is tremendous. Has developed a nice crossover and like his idol KG, likes to play away from the basket and take players off the drizzy.

Weaknesses: Underdeveloped body. Needs to get alot stronger. Very raw skills. Jump shot has no range. Will take a while before he can contribute. Must learn on the fly.

Jerome Moiso
jerome-moiso-hd.jpg

NBA Comparison: Kevin Garnett (gulp!)

Strengths: Super agility and offensive touch. Borderline freak. Very quick hands, is adept at rebound putbacks and has a great touch out to 18 feet. Great leaping ability. Potential is very high. Can create shots for teammates, a good passer. Post game is good.

Weaknesses: Shys away from contact. Like Garnett athletically but not nearly the player yet. Not great at taking a smaller man off the dribble. Unconsistent at times.

You get the idea...potential means nothing.

Paul1355

All Star
potential is why u draft a guy over another man you gav me a bunch of draft bust, great , shit happens not everyone in the draft will be great and I never sayed Anthony randolph will be some super star bro your not on the same page...in his weaknesses it says poor all around defense but yet on his strengths he has defensive potential and a guy that averaged 2.3 blocks per game idk how he can have bad defense all round with those numbers and being known as a shot blocker all he needs is some more practice he's 18 dont forget has alot of time to learn. and a scout saying bad defense but defense potential means he can be a good defender over time..we know he can block shots so just more practice staying with his man will do it and increase his awarness im not worried about his defense. And in the Mock he's said to go 9th so picked 6th is not a good knick move because they need a playmaker or C a but not a huge dif between 9 and 6.

metrocard

Legend
You would be a pretty bad GM and Scout then. Potential is just a word.

If a guy leaves as a junior he looked as having "potential" but if he sticks around his senior season he no longer has that "potential" anymore. Or even better if he leaves as a freshman and displays zero skills he is called a better prospect than if he sticks around a couple of more years and learns how to play. That type of thinking is IMO worse than the obsession over height (which at least is typically a more legit sign of how effective a palyer will likely be).

Everyone has defensive potential. Defense just takes a lot of practice and experience.

You don't know how he can have bad defense because you never SEEN HIM PLAY, he has very poor man to man defense. His skinny ass would get dominated in the NBA. Stop talking non-sense, you gotta do more research so you could understand what I'm saying instead of thinking only "potential"

nyknicks3, co-sign.

TunerAddict

Starter
Collins is better than DJ. Plus he IS a pg. You can't have a sg that can't shoot. He controls the ball, passes, can drive to score and dish. Thats a pg.
I mean, as a rookie he only nearly got triple doubles like...three times...

metrocard

Legend
Collins is better than DJ. Plus he IS a pg. You can't have a sg that can't shoot. He controls the ball, passes, can drive to score and dish. Thats a pg.
I mean, as a rookie he only nearly got triple doubles like...three times...

Augustine is the superior shooter
superior passer
he's quicker
stronger
a lottery prospect where as Collins is a 2nd round talent.
Collins would be the slowest PG in the NBA, your PG has to be able to push the tempo, Collin's footspeed makes him a failure.

My PG has to have range to space the court and keep the offense honest, having Collins at PG makes the game easier for the opposing defense.

Don't be talking non-sense like that, Collins > DJ? LOL :teeth: