34.9 mpg
19.1 ppg
7.0 assists
2.4 rebounds
57% FG
86% FT
47% 3 pts
4.1 TO

TJ Ford's sophomore year (won national player of the year at Texas)

33.6 mpg
15.0 ppg
7.7 assists
3.9 rebounds
40% FG
82% FT
27% 3 pts
3.2 TO

Chris Paul's sophomore year

33.4 mpg
15.2 ppg
6.6 assists
?? rebounds (can't find)
45% FG
83% FT
47% 3 pt
2.8 TO

Deron Williams junior year

33.7 mpg
12.5 ppg
6.8 assists
?? rebounds (can't find)
43% FG
68% FT
36% 3 pt
2.8 TO

Jameer Nelson senior year

33.9 mpg
20.6 ppg
5.3 assists
?? rebounds
48% FG
79% FT
39% 3 pt
2.8 TO

This a potential Steve Nash clone; passing on him would be ignorant. We need a matured complete PG, with a lot of dimensions. DJ is that guy.

High school

Augustin's family was forced out of New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina. He played his senior (final) year at Hightower High School in Missouri City, Texas. However, he got his diploma from Brother Martin High School in New Orleans, and he participated in the graduation ceremonies with his Hightower classmates on May 28, 2006 at Houston's Toyota Center. While at Brother Martin, Augustin led the team to two state championships.

While at Hightower, DJ showed why he was one of the top players in the nation, and thrilled the Hightower faithful with his pinpoint passing and precise shooting. His first game as a Hurricane was vs Madison High school, and DJ nearly pulled off a triple double in front of a packed house and tv camera's with 29 points, 8 rebounds and 14 assists in a 83-59 victory. DJ led Hightower to the third round of the playoffs before they were eliminated, and ended the season at 26-4. DJ won numerous honors after the season as he was named district 20-5A MVP, was named as the Houston Chronicle player of the year, made the first team all Greater Houston, and first team all state teams. DJ finished his high school career by being named a McDonalds All American, and started as point guard for the west squad against his soon to be teamate at Texas, game MVP from the east's Kevin Durant.[1]

University of Texas

Freshman year

Augustin was one of seven freshman to join the Longhorn basketball program for the 2006-07 season. He started all 35 games in the season as the point guard for the Longhorns, averaging 14.4 points and 6.7 assists per game. For his contributions, he was named to both the All-Big 12 Second Team and the Big 12 All-Rookie Team by the coaches and Associated Press.[2] Kevin Durant (former Teammate) was quoted as saying " I don't think I would be where I am today without D.J. (Augustin)". Also, the Texas Longhorns play-by-play analyst stated " Man, Augustin makes everyone who he plays around better".

Sophomore year

Augustin, along with Texas A&M Aggies player Joseph Jones, was featured on the front cover of the November 15, 2007 issue of Sports Illustrated.[3] In the fall 2007 semester, he achieved a 4.0 GPA, raising his cumulative GPA to a 3.64.[4] On February 27, 2008, he was named first-team Academic All-America by the College Sports Information Directors of America. He became the second Texas Longhorn basketball player to achieve the honor, following Jim Krivacs, who received it in 1979.[5] Augustin was also named to the USBWA All-America First Team.

On April 3, 2008, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame awarded him the Bob Cousy Award.

Awards
McDonald's All-American
Pre-season Big 12 Player of the Year
AP All-American
Bob Cousy Award

Interview
Reporter: How did you know it was time to enter the draft?

D.J. Augustin: I just felt like I was ready mentally and physically. I had a great college experience, we won a lot of games and I think I developed into a pretty good point guard. I think I?m ready for the next level.

DraftExpress: What are you doing to prepare for the draft?

D.J. Augustin: I?m working out twice a day with Coach John Lucas in Houston; I have a trainer down in Houston also, so I?ve been lifting weights, and doing conditioning and skill work.

DraftExpress: What has been the biggest emphasis skill wise that you?ve been working on?

D.J. Augustin: Just being able to get bigger guards off of me, being able to play against the bigger guards. I have a lot of help with T.J. Ford down in Houston teaching me tricks. I?m just trying to learn as much as possible.

DraftExpress: A lot of people talk about your size; do you think that?s going to hold you back either offensively or defensively in the pros?

D.J. Augustin: No; I don?t think it?s really held me back my entire life. I?ve always been the smallest one on the floor; I have no problem going in with the big men and doing what I can do. Getting my teammates involved, that?s always been my goal.

DraftExpress: Is there any player in the NBA that you try to model yourself after?

D.J. Augustin: Offensively I try to play like Steve Nash; he has a lot of crafty shots he gets off against bigger guys. That?s going to be my main thing; I have to learn to do that.

DraftExpress: You went to Steve Nash?s camp over the summer. Is there anything you added there specifically that you feel helped you?

D.J. Augustin: Just learning how to run the pick and roll; executing that to perfection. That?s the biggest thing in the NBA, a lot of teams run pick and roll the whole game. That?s going to be a big key.

DraftExpress: Do you feel there is any type of offensive system in the NBA you?re more suited for? Maybe pick and roll, half court, or transition?

D.J. Augustin: At Texas we really played everything. We ran in transition; we brought it to the half court and ran pick and roll. So I feel like I?m ready for any offense, and I?m just going to keep learning.

Reporter: What workouts have you scheduled?

D.J. Augustin: I haven?t talked to my agent yet; we?re going to do that today, about who I?m working out with and when. I think my first workout is Wednesday, but I?m not sure with whom yet.

Reporter: Who is your agent?

D.J. Augustin: Thaddeus Foucher

DraftExpress: You hired your agent kind of late in the process; what went into that decision? Why did it take so long?

D.J. Augustin: I just like to take my time with every decision I make, I don?t like to rush things. I sat down with my family, we picked the guy I felt the most comfortable with, and that?s how it went. I took my time and went who I felt comfortable with; I think it was a good decision.

DraftExpress: Have you heard anything about your draft range?

D.J. Augustin: So people have me going six
through fourteen, but I don?t listen to that stuff. Anything can happen on draft night, so you have to be prepared for anything and work hard.

DraftExpress: Some rumors have mentioned the Clippers and Indiana as possible destinations; do you have any feelings about those teams or cities?

D.J. Augustin: They?re both great cities and great teams. I just want to go to the best team that I can help in whatever role they need me in.

DraftExpress: Have you talked to Kevin Durant at all about the process?

D.J. Augustin: Yeah; I?ve talked to Kevin, I?ve talked to T.J. (Ford). I talk to T.J. a little more because he was in the same position I?m in as a point guard. But I talk to both of those guys about the situation.

DraftExpress: With Kevin leaving early for the NBA, how did you adjust to that at Texas?

D.J. Augustin: I just had to be more of a scorer. Coach wanted me to score more, but it?s hard to do because like I said I?m always looking for my teammates. I?m an unselfish guy on the court and I had to become more of a leader. That?s what I did, and that?s how I changed my game this year.

DraftExpress: What type of role do you see yourself playing in the NBA five years from now?

D.J. Augustin: Hopefully I?ll be a great point guard; a leader on the floor on a team that?s winning. Those are my main goals: help a team win and be the best player that I can be.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Pre-Draft-Camp,-Day-Four-2905/
D.J. Augustin brought both a high skill level in the drills and excellent quickness, making him a pretty impressive workout player to take in in a setting like this. It really seems like his size is the only thing that can hold him back. He also had an unbelievably fast run in the ? court sprint..

Article
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080602
The Pacers have been eyeing Augustin for a while -- but that includes Donnie Walsh, back before he leapt to the Knicks.

They copied my mock draft idea, heres my mock draft.

http://www.draftexpress.com/mymock.php?page=view&mid=1279&detail=2

First Round
1 CHI Derrick Rose
2 MIA Michael Beasley
3 MIN O.J. Mayo
4 SEA Brook Lopez
5 MEM Kevin Love
6 NY D.J. Augustin
7 LAC Jerryd Bayless
8 MIL Danilo Gallinari
9 CHA Russell Westbrook
10 NJ Anthony Randolph
11 IND Eric Gordon
12 SAC Darrell Arthur
13 POR Joe Alexander
14 GS DeAndre Jordan
15 PHO Brandon Rush
16 PHI Donte Greene
17 TOR Nicolas Batum
18 WAS Ty Lawson
19 CLE Kosta Koufos
20 DEN JaVale McGee
21 NJ Jason Thompson
22 ORL Marreese Speights
23 UTA Roy Hibbert
24 SEA Robin Lopez
25 HOU Ryan Anderson
26 SA Serge Ibaka
27 NO Chris Douglas-Roberts
28 MEM J.J. Hickson
29 DET DeVon Hardin
30 BOS Chase Budinger

Second Round
1 MIN Bill Walker
2 SEA Mario Chalmers
3 POR Nathan Jawai
4 MIN Nikola Pekovic
5 LAC Richard Hendrix
6 POR Mike Taylor
7 MIL Courtney Lee
8 CHA D.J. White
9 CHI Joey Dorsey
10 NJ Gary Forbes
11 IND George Hill
12 SAC Lester Hudson
13 SAC Davon Jefferson
14 UTA Jamont Gordon
15 SA Trent Plaisted
16 SEA Kyle Weaver
17 WAS James Gist
18 PHO J.R. Giddens
19 GS Will Daniels
20 SEA Henk Norel
21 DAL Shan Foster
22 MIA Pat Calathes
23 UTA Omer Asik
24 HOU Sonny Weems
25 POR Bryce Taylor
26 SEA Maarty Leunen
27 SA Richard Roby
28 LAL DeMarcus Nelson
29 DET Drew Neitzel
30 BOS Shawn James

Last edited:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Very good report....Augustine sounds like a point guard with alotta potential. He wont give me a hard on like if we get mayo (no homo) but im in favor of pickin him (no homo?).

metrocard

Legend
Minnesota is actually rumored to draft a big man, they're really the dumbest franchise in the NBA. NBA draft prospects don't want to go to Memphis too, so it looks like they may trade the pick. Mayo falling to the Knicks looks like a close possibility. If we don't get Mayo, Augustin is the best available.

If we could somehow get both guys, our back court is set for a +15 years.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Minnesota is actually rumored to draft a big man, they're really the dumbest franchise in the NBA. NBA draft prospects don't want to go to Memphis too, so it looks like they may trade the pick. Mayo falling to the Knicks looks like a close possibility. If we don't get Mayo, Augustin is the best available.

If we could somehow get both guys, our back court is set for a +15 years.

That would make me splooje all over my keyboard no homo. Kevin McFail is one of the worst gms ever, but i gotta say hes not isiah thomas status. Hes about one step away. I hate X-celtic players, f__k all them. Danny ainge is overrated. He traded last years #5, Wally (next year his contract expires), and delonte for an over the hill ray Allen. Ainge lost :lol:

He got lucky that his idiot friend McFail hooked him up with garnett. With all that being said i wouldnt be suprised to see McFail make a stupid pick.

Paul1355

All Star
If Mayo isn't picked then get Augustine but Mayo is the main target

yea I like Augustine since i saw him take over a game against someone i dont remeber but he took over in shooting passing and everything a point guard can do. I think Mayo has potential to be a fantastic player jsut becuase he has talent and has been labeled as the next lebron and with all that pressure still came through and scored 20 a game in USC. I think Mayo can handle NY because he's been pressured since high school chad ford reported. WHen he does bad he's blamed for losing the game and when he does good he's a hero reminds me about a player called A-Rod for the yanks. I think Mayo can handle NY and if he's there i'd take him over Augustine even though Augustine will be really good. Mayo will take over games by himself and the knicks need an offensive playmaker and he's 6'5...reports from draftexpress.com is that he wants to play PG in the NBA...Mayo and Crawford...pretty good back court offense. And he can shut down other guards defensively especially if he plays PG.

metrocard

Legend
I've got one word to sum up Wednesday's predraft workout at the Trail Blazers' practice facility: Wow.

Joe Alexander was impressive on Tuesday in displaying exceptional athleticism, leaping ability and raw potential. Russell Westbrook made a strong case to become a Blazer last week when he showed better-than expected shooting ability, versatility and athleticism. But I've been to every one of the Blazers' nine workouts thus far and no prospect has revealed a more polished, NBA-ready game than D.J. Augustin did today.
But nonetheless, I left impressed with Augustin. And I doubt I was alone. Here's a snippet from a story that will appear in Thursday editions of The Oregonian:

... Augustin was equally, if not more, impressive than (Westbrook and Alexander).
Toward the end of the workout, when the media was allowed to watch, Augustin displayed a polished, NBA-ready game that featured accurate shooting, smart play and natural ability to navigate through defenses -- particularly on pick-and-roll plays. He faced very little resistance in penetrating toward the basket and always seemed to find the open man, which often resulted in easy jump shots or layups.

During a three-on-three half-court drill, Augustin once knifed through two perimeter defenders and dished a pretty no-look pass to a teammate for a wide-open layup. Moments later, during an almost mirror scenario, he sliced through the middle of two defenders, darted right, stepped back and swished a midrange jumper.
Such displays were commonplace on Wednesday, when Augustin competed against five other prospects, including Oregon's Malik Hairston, Atlantic 10 Conference defensive player of the year Stanley Burrell of Xavier and guard Jason Rich, a four-year starter from Florida State. And even though McMillan values taller, more physical point guards, he discovered that Augustin could "hold his own" against bigger NBA guards.

"I tried to put a physical guard, a quick guard and a big guard on him just to take a look at all that ... and he did a nice job of getting where he needed to be," McMillan said. "The one thing he has is the ability to handle the ball very well. Even though some of the guards were trying to pressure him and get to the ball, his ability to handle the ball forced them to have to back off. But also his ability to shoot the ball forced them to stay pretty close. He's a guy who can get where he needs to go on the basketball floor."

Augustin also showed tremendous shooting ability, draining 37 of 50 shots (74 percent) -- including 26 of his first 30 attempts -- during a three-point shooting drill at the end of the workout.

Augustin is the man at 6 if Mayo isn't there.

Akamu

The King
Alright Metrocard you have proven your scouting capabilities once again. I'mma leave my trust on your draftee scouting reports, you over throw the table with some pretty immense evidence towards a potentially great player. Stats, numbers, videos, history, links and more? y que ma loco?

Drop whatever job you are doing and go scout and influence trades for our team at once!

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Augustin or Westbrook

I would normally defer to Metro, but Augustin's size scares me. I believe he measured, without shoes, at just over 5'10."
Westbrook is 6'3" and a great defender. I know that Chris Paul is not much taller than Augustin, but Paul is unique.

metrocard

Legend
I would normally defer to Metro, but Augustin's size scares me. I believe he measured, without shoes, at just over 5'10."
Westbrook is 6'3" and a great defender. I know that Chris Paul is not much taller than Augustin, but Paul is unique.

Shaun Livingston is a 6"7 PG...what he has he done so far in the NBA? He was drafted top 5 I believe.

Size isn't a factor.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Augustine would be a great addition to our team cause he's a great point gaurd knows how to run a team and he could shoot the3 ball( has been compared to Steve Nash)

but i would rather have Russell Westbrook because he caould also run a team although not as good as Augustine and he's the ultimate team player and not to metion he got the offensive skills once they develop; to become an elite player

you draft players who are on there way up and Westbrook has the best upside in this draft and he's the best defender....once he comes in he'll be a top perimeter defender in the entire League..so just give him a year to develop his game better and with D'Antoni as his coach he'll turn him into a superstar

metrocard

Legend
Augustine would be a great addition to our team cause he's a great point gaurd knows how to run a team and he could shoot the3 ball( has been compared to Steve Nash)

but i would rather have Russell Westbrook because he caould also run a team although not as good as Augustine and he's the ultimate team player and not to metion he got the offensive skills once they develop; to become an elite player

you draft players who are on there way up and Westbrook has the best upside in this draft and he's the best defender....once he comes in he'll be a top perimeter defender in the entire League..so just give him a year to develop his game better and with D'Antoni as his coach he'll turn him into a superstar

I don't understand how Westbrook has better upside because he's a better dunker. Augustin has mastered the PG position in the college level. Westbrook wasn't even the best PG on his team and is really a combo guard. Augustin is better at getting to the basket, similar to how Nash is better at getting to the basket than someone like Keyon Dooling.

I'm not a big Augustine fan but I don't have a big problem with us picking him although I think 6 is too high and the Knicks could probably trade down and still get him. He reminds me a lot of Mark Jackson with a 3point shot and was underwhelming when matched up against Rose in the tourney. Bayless is also going to go ahead of him, I see either Lopez or Love going lower then people expect.

Last edited:

TunerAddict

Starter
Shaun Livingston is a 6"7 PG...what he has he done so far in the NBA? He was drafted top 5 I believe.

Size isn't a factor.

He's also one of the most talented prospects in the league. He was having a breakthrough season until that awful injury. Hes been out ever since. He just go permission to do basketball activities again. He's better than DJ ever will be.

He's also one of the most talented prospects in the league. He was having a breakthrough season until that awful injury. Hes been out ever since. He just go permission to do basketball activities again. He's better than DJ ever will be.

Oh yeah Livingston before his injury was showing some signs of reaching his potential. However even before that grotseque injury he had problems with durability. The other thing about Livingston that set him apart from a guy like Augustin was how good defensively he was. Augustin at this point may have a better NBA career but Livingston before the injury was a much more superior talent.

Russell Westbrook is a tough call. Personally I'm a little wary of guys who are great athletes as opposed to basketball players. Throw in the fact that he's not a one and is undersized at the 2 and I'm even more skeptical because I'm not a fan of guys who don't have a position. However, despite being undersized he is freakishly long and that could make up for his height. He also is only 19, has improved considerably and is already a superior defensive player as evidenced by his lockdown efforts in the pac 10 against Mayo and Bayless.

Tough, tough call for the Knicks at #6 I guess we shall see only time will tell if they make the right move.

JUNIOR MINT

Benchwarmer
if we draft Augustine, I wouldn't be upset, I think he'll fit great with the team, and Livingston was 4th overall I believe

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I don't understand how Westbrook has better upside because he's a better dunker. Augustin has mastered the PG position in the college level. Westbrook wasn't even the best PG on his team and is really a combo guard. Augustin is better at getting to the basket, similar to how Nash is better at getting to the basket than someone like Keyon Dooling.

i do agree with you Metrocard but at this point Westbrook has the most upside clearly and that what we need to do get him and he'll develop and grow with the team he won't come in and dominate right away and Augustin will be better than him in year one but down the road is where we gotta look since we won't win now and down the road Westbrook will be a beast give give him a year or so to develop and he'll make knick fans proud...and he got the defense over Augustin and he will develop a shot its only a matter of time before his game comes together and he'll be one of the elites