What about drafting Eric Gordon?

NYKNICKS4LIFE

Benchwarmer
I have had a chance to watch some of the exciting plays from Gordon and I can't help but think thats just the kind of plays that can turn things around. When you look at his game one word comes to mind and thats RELENTLESS!
He seems to have a killer instinct that I have yet to really see from clips of Mayo and Augustine. His numbers are very similar to those of Mayo and blows right passed Augustine's numbers

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Profiles-2008/Eric-Gordon

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Profiles-2008/O.J.-Mayo

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Profiles-2008/D.J.-Augustin

We are talking about a kid that at one point would have easily been the number pick this years draft and due to unforeseen circumstances with regards to coaching changes and an injury. I mean have you seen his range and the drives to the hole unreal. Imagining him coached by D Antoni; People have compared him to Mitch Richmond but his game resembles that of Baron Davis

What are your thoughts?:gony:

metrocard

Legend
Eric Gordon is one dimensional.

Anyone can look good during a highlight film. I suggest you watch some more games before you declare Eric Gordon the savior for the Knicks. We have enough scoring one dimensional as it is already. Gordon should be the last guy on our list. I rather have Bayless who is more athletic, better defender, and can actually play PG. Gordon is just a 6"3 SG that is a poor rebounder/passer/defender.

Paul1355

All Star
Gordon doesn't want NY

eric gordon is probably better than people think but i was listening to Greg Hutchins and Anthony Donahue from Garden Grasp and "Gordon doesn't want to come to NY"...some guys don't want to deal with the NY atmosphere and the drama and media that can eat a player alive if he doesnt perform to expectations. he would prob rather prefer a team after to either a bucks team or someone else..this is what sources said from speaking with him so if a guy says that, he's crossed out on the list. if a guy can't handle NY then he's better off somewhere else and we knick fans are better off going with someone else who wants the spotlight.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Too much of a SG not enough of a PG. The only SG I would be gunning for is Mayo or Bayless both of whom are likely off the boards come time to pick. What scares me the most about Gordon is how bad he struggled at the end of the season. I know his wrist was broken so it affected his shooting, but it didnt stop him from taking so many shots! My point is we need a smart player who plays within his game, a player not savvy enough to make plays for others due to a slump caused by an injury warrants a major red flag. I like Jamal but what I hate is nights when he goes 4 for 16, to me at some point you have to recongnize that your shot is off and you have to find another way to impact the game, and Gordon doesnt have the skills to impact a game other than scoring at this point in his career. Not to say he won't develope down the road, but for now lets let the Clips deal with that one.

Order we should Pursue

1.Mayo
t 2.Bayless
t 2.Augistine- I cant decide who I want more of the two, I would suggest trading Jamal if we do draft Bayless. I'd say a pick in this years draft, and 2010 would be enough for Jamal and ofcourse an expiring contract.

3.Best Player on the board if these three are gone, or why not gamble on Jordon

metrocard

Legend
^ Exactly the direction the Knicks should go.

Gordon averaged 3.6 turnovers and only 2.2 assist. He plays like Jamal Crawford and shoots 33% from 3pt land.

Kiyaman

Legend
6.4 SG-Eric Gordon will be the next Dywane Wade in the NBA.
He will be the 3rd pick in this draft!
Later for all these mock draft reports that has him going after Mayo, Bayless, and Lopez.
Eric Gordon is a Pure SG that is a young age 19 with overwelming awareness on the court. He reminds me of a Marbury with less dribbling at the SG position.

The Knicks chances of getting Eric Gordon is the same as them getting Beasley & Rose.

metrocard

Legend
^ Wade can actually play PG, rebound and play defense.

Marbury is a career 8 assist player.

I'm not willing to have another year of isolation plays where Gordon gets freedom to turn the ball over and chuck up shots like Isiah allowed Crawford to do. Gordon has really poor BALL HANDLING skills for an undersized SG.

Guys, if Mayo is available, would you seriously Gordon over Mayo, or even Bayless?

Marbury is gone next season, we need that PG guys.

Bayless and Mayo will probably be gone(Bayless first since Minnesota are morons and Seattle likes Bayless and Memphis needs a big so that would leave Mayo to us) But if both are gone...you have to go with Augustin. Augustin is a better shooter and as good as a scorer as Gordon. D.J. Augstin averaged almost 20 ppg in a better conference.

I may be hating on Gordon alot, but I've just been sick of these type of picks that remind me of all of Isiah's moves. We never draft a need, we just go out there and draft something we already have.

He as the worst shot selection I've seen than any of the lottery picks. He's the most turnover prone player you can find in the lottery. He lacks the ability to defend SG's, and is a poor rebounder.

Gordon and Crawford play too similar. Crawford is better than Gordon rigt now since Crawford can atleast play PG. Gordon is just stuck at one position and thats really an asset in a NBA. The best NBA players are able to move positions and the only position I want my player STUCK as is the PURE POINT GUARD position, and that guy is D.J. Augustin or Derrick Rose. We're not getting Rose, so Augustin will be that guy.

Gordon plays like Jamal Crawford. He's nothing special, 3.6 turnovers to 2.2 assist; you can't trust his ball handling at all. His shot selection is so awful and he came out shooting 33% (not so great). He should be a good rebounder for someone with his ability, but I guess he doesn't like rebounding at a high rate. Defensively he has a lot of work to do.

Mayo will be a better PG than Gordon, Mayo showed a lot of potential as Blillups type PG, but he also can play like Ginobili at SG, so really Mayo would be the best option left and a guy you could build your team around.

Eric Gordon is just really a chunkier version of Ben Gordon with less shooting ability. Theres no doubt Gordon can score the basketball, but so can Robinson, Marbury and Crawford. We don't need Gordon; we need a guy we can build around and a guy with versility or just a pure PG (Augustin)

Gordon is the last of the great lottery guards in this draft behind Mayo, Rose, Bayless, Augustin and Westbrook.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
if anyone didnt read my earlier post in this thread read it cuz gordon doesnt want to be in NY....if he can't handle the NY atmosphere he's not even an option.

Kiyaman

Legend
Metro, the Knicks dont need another PG. They need to rid themselves of the two Fake PG's Marbury & Crawford, their passing game is dribbling to much.

Have you seen any NBA Guards co-exist with Marbury or Crawford in the backcourt yet? if so who?

Eric Gordon is a Pure SG, who dont hog the ball by always dribbling it.
Gordon knows he is not a PG or SF so he stick with what he knows.

To many Knick-Fans are selecting players out of this draft to comendate the D'Antoni Phoenix roster (We have to select a PG like Nash. LOL).
Knick-Fans need to stop getting things mixed-up.
We should all remember Pure PG-Steve Nash uptempo run n gun performance in Dallas for coach Nelson and coach Avery, has nothing to do with D'Antoni coaching. Marion uptempo run n gun performance with Jason Kidd had nothing to do with D'Antoni coaching.
Both Nash & Marion spent their entire NBA career in the West Coast.

Kiyaman

Legend
1) This draft pick should be the start of a rebuilding process, that is the reason why Mark Jackson was the best candidate for the Head Coaching job.
So Mark could've worked with the two young PG on the Knicks roster in leading this team.
The Knicks have 3 PG on their roster inwhich 2 are in their final contract season (two reasons to have a great season).

2) The hiring of President Donnie Walsh was to change this organization into a decent winning team to watch. Which means alot of changes must be made like the change of faces on the coaching staff and the players on the roster.

3) Donnie Walsh new job is much harder and difficult than what Isiah Thomas job was when he was first hired.
Isiah inhereted a strong Defensive roster which he only had to add some offensive players inexchange for the cancer players (Isley, Harrington, Weatherspoon, and Lampe).

4) New President Donnie Walsh have a big job on his hand with a 23 win season organization, inwhich he must show some improvement next season.
He have the 6th pick in the draft, with two ending contract players (Marbury & Malik), and the two best 20 pts scorers on the team (Crawford & Zach).
Walsh have to work with these best option he inhereted to improve this team next season.
He also have to change the coach (which he did by getting D'Antoni) and the coaching staff that can relate better with his players.

5) Next season we are not supposed to see all of these Starting Players (Marb, Craw, Q, Zach, and Curry) on the Knick roster or coach Isiah with the hiring of President Donnie Walsh.
If we do than Walsh is no better than Layden or Isiah.

metrocard

Legend
Kiyaman, Marbury is the best PG we've had since Mark Jackson and Rod Strickland.

We do NEED a PG, and Augustin is the best PG prospect we'll see in a couple of years. He's mature, and he does everything offensively. He's an intense defender and is a leader. He's a 10000 times more valuable than Gordon will ever be. Stop thinking like Isiah bro, Gordon is just a better athlete, bigger and from the Midwest. That isn't a reason for the Knicks to waste the 6th pick on.

Marbury and Houston had great chemistry, research the game tapes when Marbury came here and when Houston was slightly healthy for a short period. If Houston stayed healthy that season we would of gave New Jersey a better fight in the playoffs.

Watch Gordon play more, he's the biggest ball hog in this draft, if you don't like Crawford, why would you like Gordon? He plays as wreckless and as turnover prone as Crawford. He's nothing but a streaky undersized one dimensional SG.

Gordon was terrible the last two months. He shot 21% (16 out of 77) 3pt shots. That's pretty awful. Gordon routinely would heave up bowling balls from well beyond the NBA 3-point line (some of which weren?t even close), even though he obviously needed to get himself easier shots at the rim. When he did try and take the ball to the basket. Gordon force a lot of plays hence the reason for his high turnovers and low assist. He tends to settle for tough fade-awayjumpers with bigger and longer defenders drapped all over him contesting his shot with very little success for Gordon's undersized self.

Gordon's other weakness is palming violations, traveling and getting into offensive fouls. He's not a very smart player which makes him very turnover prone. Gordon's below average ball handling skills and lack of mid range is an issue for him that had scouts questioning how successful he would be in the NBA. He often is out of control by the time he gets to the rim due to the lack of control he shows dribbling at high speeds. He doesn?t value possessions enough, as evidenced by his 3.6 turnovers per game

Defensively, Gordon shows a great deal of potential; but we haven't seen any performance to show he could be a good defender.

it would be helpful for yourself to do your homework and understand Gordon's attributes; strength and weaknesses would best fit for a 6th man like Ben Gordon or Ginobili. Thats not bad. I do believe Gordon will be a good NBA player, but you can't see him on the level of a Mayo or Rose. Mayo and Rose bring dfferent dimensions to the game that make them more valuable, ie; scoring, defense, penatration, creating plays, making assist, etc. and generally these two elite athletes are easier to build around. Rose is the best PG, Mayo is the best SG. If Gordon isn't scoring, what else is he doing or can he do? If you say turning the ball over, then we have a winner! :lol:

Paul1355

All Star
Kiyaman, Marbury is the best PG we've had since Mark Jackson and Rod Strickland.

We do NEED a PG, and Augustin is the best PG prospect we'll see in a couple of years. He's mature, and he does everything offensively. He's an intense defender and is a leader. He's a 10000 times more valuable than Gordon will ever be. Stop thinking like Isiah bro, Gordon is just a better athlete, bigger and from the Midwest. That isn't a reason for the Knicks to waste the 6th pick on.

Marbury and Houston had great chemistry, research the game tapes when Marbury came here and when Houston was slightly healthy for a short period. If Houston stayed healthy that season we would of gave New Jersey a better fight in the playoffs.

Watch Gordon play more, he's the biggest ball hog in this draft, if you don't like Crawford, why would you like Gordon? He plays as wreckless and as turnover prone as Crawford. He's nothing but a streaky undersized one dimensional SG.

Gordon was terrible the last two months. He shot 21% (16 out of 77) 3pt shots. That's pretty awful. Gordon routinely would heave up bowling balls from well beyond the NBA 3-point line (some of which weren?t even close), even though he obviously needed to get himself easier shots at the rim. When he did try and take the ball to the basket. Gordon force a lot of plays hence the reason for his high turnovers and low assist. He tends to settle for tough fade-awayjumpers with bigger and longer defenders drapped all over him contesting his shot with very little success for Gordon's undersized self.

Gordon's other weakness is palming violations, traveling and getting into offensive fouls. He's not a very smart player which makes him very turnover prone. Gordon's below average ball handling skills and lack of mid range is an issue for him that had scouts questioning how successful he would be in the NBA. He often is out of control by the time he gets to the rim due to the lack of control he shows dribbling at high speeds. He doesn?t value possessions enough, as evidenced by his 3.6 turnovers per game

Defensively, Gordon shows a great deal of potential; but we haven't seen any performance to show he could be a good defender.

it would be helpful for yourself to do your homework and understand Gordon's attributes; strength and weaknesses would best fit for a 6th man like Ben Gordon or Ginobili. Thats not bad. I do believe Gordon will be a good NBA player, but you can't see him on the level of a Mayo or Rose. Mayo and Rose bring dfferent dimensions to the game that make them more valuable, ie; scoring, defense, penatration, creating plays, making assist, etc. and generally these two elite athletes are easier to build around. Rose is the best PG, Mayo is the best SG. If Gordon isn't scoring, what else is he doing or can he do? If you say turning the ball over, then we have a winner! :lol:

metro i love how whenever someone doesnt agree with u, u call them isiah or say they think like isiah. i dont think isiah would even do anything anyone has mentioned on this entire blog site.

NYKNICKS4LIFE

Benchwarmer
I happen to catch this footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-5YpnO8rNE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkHIcimUUUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcre8m6b0X0&feature=related

and to think he has been labeled as one dimensional is utterly foolish to say the least

the skills sets show as well the most crucial ingredient that very few

demonstrate which is "KILLER INSTINCT"

what we should realize what IF this player was put in the RIGHT position,

franchise,coach,players around him not to mention the MSG Fans it be pretty

naive to think a player with those calber skills would shy away from a

challenge didnt all the good ones thive in adversity?

Has he not been thru adversity at this point? What better idea then revive a

franchise while being battle tested? Has Mayo ever been thru any

adversity not that I can complain :gony:

metrocard

Legend
I happen to catch this footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-5YpnO8rNE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkHIcimUUUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcre8m6b0X0&feature=related

and to think he has been labeled as one dimensional is utterly foolish to say the least

the skills sets show as well the most crucial ingredient that very few

demonstrate which is "KILLER INSTINCT"

what we should realize what IF this player was put in the RIGHT position,

franchise,coach,players around him not to mention the MSG Fans it be pretty

naive to think a player with those calber skills would shy away from a

challenge didnt all the good ones thive in adversity?

Has he not been thru adversity at this point? What better idea then revive a

franchise while being battle tested? Has Mayo ever been thru any

adversity not that I can complain :gony:

First of all, understand something.

Highlight videos don't mean shit. There are highlight videos of Jerome James, does it mean we should build around team him? If you're basing your judgment on Gordon with only highlight videos and his measures, then you have to be a fucking idiot, plain and simple. I couldn't put in a nicer way. Its funny that you make this thread AFTER you get a hard on from watching his videos, sounding as if you never saw the guy play and this was a new discovery to you. "Hey let me dick ride the guy with the coolest highlights". Sad you don't even know anything about the kid, his strengths or weaknesses.

What else can he do besides score the ball? Before you horny-for-Gordon ass goes off calling people "foolish", try to think of something logical that would convince myself and the forum that Gordon is "multi dimensional" and its foolish to think "otherwise".

Mayo is just good as a scorer and by far a better shooter. Gordon is nothing special to be going crazy about. We already a crack head version of Gordon in Crawford.

Adversity? Mayo went through a lot of challenges, averaging 20 ppg in one of the best conferences in the nation, Pac-10 >>> Big 12. Mayo didn't even that great of a team and still manage to get his team in the tournament.

mynameis

Benchwarmer
Gordon is much better than bayless... Last 2 months of gordon he's injured plus throw the change of coach in Indiana....But anyway.. if mayo is not available in 6th we can trade down and get Joe "The white lebron" Alexander, I watch lot of video's of this dude he's really something. I wont mind if knicks pick him 6th he got a winning attitude throw him with D. lee they will crash the boards. If that happens good bye chandler.. "the white lebron " is much way way way better than chandler

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Gordon is much better than bayless... Last 2 months of gordon he's injured plus throw the change of coach in Indiana....But anyway.. if mayo is not available in 6th we can trade down and get Joe "The white lebron" Alexander, I watch lot of video's of this dude he's really something. I wont mind if knicks pick him 6th he got a winning attitude throw him with D. lee they will crash the boards. If that happens good bye chandler.. "the white lebron " is much way way way better than chandler
Why you hatin on Wilson Chandler for? He's one of the only players on the Knicks that knows how to play defense. And Joe Alexander is not a white Lebron James. Lebron James >>>>>>> Joe Alexander. Drafting Joe Alexander would be a stupid move. Do you want an all white Knicks team? Is that what it is?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Eric Gordon is good; he's not good for the Knicks, though. The Knicks need a point guard and a center. Gordon definitely is not a center, at 6'3, and 2.4 assists per game is too low of an assist number to be a point guard.

Kiyaman

Legend
Metro, your responses indicate that you want the Knicks to get a PG with the 6th Pick.

I want the Knicks to get a SG with the 6th pick to replace Crawford (Rookie Ben Gordon did a great job replacing Crawford in Chicago the 2005 season.).
This is why I was upset when Isiah Thomas cut 6.8 SG-Demetris Nichols, who would've been the perfect SG to replace Crawford.
I would also like a decent PF if we could trade this 6th pick and Zach Randolph to get.

I have alot of confidence in Nate Robinson and Mardy Collins at the PG, if only we could get a decent SG to go alongside of them in the Backcourt (other than Crawford).

The Knicks had Porter, Doc Rivers, Ward, and Childs that were alot better than Marbury at the PG. Each had talents that improved their Knick teammates talents at the PG position.
Marbury performance after leaving the Timberwolves has been the performance of a SG not a PG. this has been mention several times throughout Marbury career by NBA coaches and sports annalyst.
Marbury was the first NBA player to score 40 points on the USA Olympic Team (which was the worst USA Olympic team ever).
Is that what you want from your PG? if it is than your PG is your SG...