Knicks shouldnt put all their eggs in Lebron's Basket

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks shouldn't put all their eggs in LeBron's basket

Kobe Bryant was fresh off his trade demand last spring when the rumors started flying that the Knicks were his preferred destination. New York would certainly accommodate some of Kobe?s needs; big market and big stage.

When he was asked on Wednesday if there were any discussions about any specific team he wanted to be traded to, Kobe said: ?No, I don?t remember it being so.?

lebronblog65.JPG

A deal with the Knicks was never going to happen because the Lakers weren?t about to trade the game?s best player for a package of Jamal Crawford, Renaldo Balkman, David Lee and anyone else the Knicks tried to include. The NBA continues to be a superstar-driven league and when you have a player of Kobe?s caliber, in his prime no less, you don?t just give those players away.

The challenge for Donnie Walsh is to find a franchise player - which is no easy task unless you are Celtics GM Danny Ainge and your good buddy and former teammate, Minnesota?s Kevin McHale, gives you Kevin Garnett. Walsh continues to talk about the summer of 2010 when LeBron James and several other big names will become free agents.

James is a shrewd business man so I think he would consider leaving Cleveland. But he?s also from Ohio and if Cavs management does enough to upgrade the roster over the next few years James may stick around.
A better blueprint for Walsh to follow is what Joe Dumars did in Detroit. He used the draft to select Tayshaun Prince; he traded for Rip Hamilton and took a chance on free agent Chauncey Billups. None of the three are superstars but all three are in the top 10 at their respective positions and Billups went on to become a Finals MVP.

Perhaps it would be worth it for Walsh to take a chance on a sign-and-trade for Gilbert Arenas or even Monta Ellis. Somewhere down the road the Knicks need to make a high-risk, high-reward deal like they did 10 years ago when the team traded for Latrell Sprewell. Waiting for the likes of Kobe and LeBron sounds good but it is not very realistic.

Larry Brown (remember him) was out of basketball for two straight years after being dismissed by the Knicks and he says he used that time wisely.
?I didn?t like the way it ended,? Brown said of his 23-59 record as Knicks coach. ?I didn?t like the job I did in New York. I thought I used these two years productively. Watching other people coach, I learned a lot. I don?t think I would have had the opportunity to learn if I had been working.?
Brown, the new head coach of the Bobcats, named former Knicks assistant coach Dave Hanners to his staff.

Kiyaman

Legend
This article just told us how to build a WINNING Organization in the NBA.
By using the method of just a few recent successful teams.

Indirectly, the article is pointing out that Donnie Walsh is selling millions of Knick Fans an imposible Dream that has a 1 to 1000 ratio of comming true (any team that thought they could get a Super-Star Player like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Jordan, Olyjuwan, David Robinson, Ewing, KG, ect., in their prime from the free agent market is INSANE.).

The Article summation should be the BIG-Kicker to Knick-Fans.
The Charlote Bobcats have the 9th & 38th pick in this draft, along with three star players (Okafor, Richardson, Felton) on their roster that are in need of a systematic coaching staff to give guidance to the role-players to become a winning (500 plus) team in the NBA next season.
The Bobcats hired a two year rested HOF head coach Larry Brown, who insisted that the team hire the Knicks assistant coach Dave Hanners whom will do all the extra hard work on the organization coaching staff to become the future head coach of the Bobcats.

Knick-Fans look at the Bobcats situation vs the Knicks situation on draft night, and watch how Coach Larry Brown & Dave Hanner make Jordan into one of the top 3 Presidents next season from this draft night.
While Donnie Walsh and Coach D'Antoni follow a 2010 future Dream...

JUNIOR MINT

Benchwarmer
when you mentioned the Bobcats stars (Okafor, Richardson, Felton), you wouldn't call Wallace a star? Averaged 20 & 6 or 7, I think, and him playing under Brown, is going to make him even more of a all star probably...Just my opinion.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i was gonna post the same thread, i couldn't agree with him more the knicks should focus on becoming contenders again rather than put all their hopes into landing one of the superstar free agents because chances are they wont land any of them

instead we should focus on building a contender out of the team we got as hard as that may sound....label the keepers and players to get rid of

draft smart and pull of some nice trades and go from there
get either mayo or D.J or westbrook (if mayo isn't on the board then go for one of them)

then try and trade either curry or randolph

Kiyaman

Legend
when you mentioned the Bobcats stars (Okafor, Richardson, Felton), you wouldn't call Wallace a star? Averaged 20 & 6 or 7, I think, and him playing under Brown, is going to make him even more of a all star probably...Just my opinion.

Yeah I meant to mention Wallace, and Role player Nazr.

Kiyaman

Legend
This draft that is comming up seem to have Knick-Fans and Knick Media baffled with the hiring of Head Coach D'Antoni.
There are two much talk about getting D'Antoni type of players.
Do we actually know anything about D'Antoni without Nash supervision of the offense?

When assistant coach Gentry, SF-Marion, PF-Amare, and SG-Joe Johnson were looking for a player with the same uptempo style as the Phoenix Suns wife-beater (Super-Star) PG-Jason Kidd, before the hiring of coach D'Antoni. This is why the Suns traded Marbury, Hardaway, and Chambers for ending contract players.

Do the Knicks need a PG that has the same qualities as Super Star Jason Kidd to fit into D'Antoni style of coaching to be successful?
It took Steve Nash 5-NBA seasons of hard training to come close to Kidd's qualities of being a leadership uptempo PG in the NBA with alot of help from underratted SG-Finley in Dallas. Nash game became decent two seasons before his ending contract in Dallas, but it was'nt worth matching the offersheet that the Suns gave him.
Assistant Coach Gentry, SG-Johnson, SF-Marion, and Amare Stoudemire "Refine" Steve Nash entire style of leadership at the PG during the offseason before training camp (into Jason Kidd's swift pass-first no teammate dribbling up and down the floor style of play. That's how the N.J. Nets made it to two FINALS before D'Antoni Phoenix Suns.).

What's the chances of the Hornets trading Chris Paul, or Utah trading Deron Williams, or Phoenix trading Nash, to the Knicks just for the sake of coach D'Antoni?
none. Walsh 2010 plan and D'Antoni uptempo system is all an imaginary DREAM, inwhich after 3 to 4 years of no success they will blame it on Isiah, like Isiah is blamming Layden. When all in all, when you add up the figures at the end of the day they all were Clueless at their task.

I have confidence in Nate Robinson & Mardy Collins as the Knicks 48 mpg PG. As long as the Knicks get them a decent SG to go alongside of them in the backcourt.
Marbury and Crawford are two confuse players that want to play both positions (PG/SG) whenever they feel like it (uncoachable players).

If the Knicks could get both Marbury and Crawford off the team before training camp and replace them with two decent pure SG the Knicks would be on their way to having a 500 plus backcourt system.

Getting rid of Q.Rich & Jefferies and letting the 48 mpg at SF be divided by hustling players Balkman and Chandler will also help out the new and improve Backcourt that does not have Marbury & Crawford.

It should be plain as night and day that Zach Randolph 20/10 performance is also not wanted or needed in New York just as well as in Portland if the team is aiming for a successful winning season (rather than Lottery season. Do the Knicks own their 2009 draft pick?).

New New York

Quiet Storm
I have been saying this all along. When I made my Clevleand trade proposal everyone thought that I was giving Lebron too much help and the trade would cost us an oppotunity at him, but I say that we need to rebuild our team first and foremost, if it works out we get Lebron Great, but we cant blow off deals that can either make us better or give us cap room for the sake of Lebron

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Labron James is just one of many players that has an expiring contract in 2010. D. Wade, Chris Bosh also will become available. I agree that we shouldn't just freeze our rebuilding plans for James but we shouldn't rule out the possibility of him looking for a new team by 2010 ether. Why trade for Gilbert and not have an opportunity to get James if he does in fact decide to leave? We don't need any long term contract.

dre48ny

Rotation player
I have been saying this all along. When I made my Clevleand trade proposal everyone thought that I was giving Lebron too much help and the trade would cost us an oppotunity at him, but I say that we need to rebuild our team first and foremost, if it works out we get Lebron Great, but we cant blow off deals that can either make us better or give us cap room for the sake of Lebron

Definitely he knicks cap situation is horrendous. If they plan for LeBron and miss; at least their cap situation will be decent for the first time in years. The Knicks will continue through rebuild through the draft and via trades. When the cap allows it, they will sign their missing pieces.

It is a good game plan, and who knows maybe LeBron does make the switch. Shaq made the leap twice and won championships ( Lakers and Heat).

We gotta go for Dwayne Wayne. I dont expect the others to leave their teams. Wayne won a championship making him the most proven out of all of them. Chris Bosh is not known for his defense. Lebron james will be difficult for the knicks to obtain. It sounds like he will be staying in cleveland or going to the new jersey nets.

Kiyaman

Legend
Definitely he knicks cap situation is horrendous. If they plan for LeBron and miss; at least their cap situation will be decent for the first time in years. The Knicks will continue through rebuild through the draft and via trades. When the cap allows it, they will sign their missing pieces.

It is a good game plan, and who knows maybe LeBron does make the switch. Shaq made the leap twice and won championships ( Lakers and Heat).

My 40 years of watching the NBA, 98% of all Super-Star players are traded before letting go to the free agent market.

Shaq is a different story all-together he was a BIGG arrogant problem in the NBA his first 5 years (The main reason why Shaq got swept in his first FINALS).
I also recall Shaq's first "All-Star" game where bothsides the East and West teams prevented the arrogant Shaq from scoring a point in the first half of the All-Star Game.

The Knicks would have a decent chance at getting Lebron, Wade, and Bosh if they start making some serious trades at the start of "Draft Night" this offseason to get NBA players that performance improve their teammates performance.

Trading Zach Randolph for Kenyon Martin leadership performance would lift-up the perfomance of Curry, Lee, and Chandler on this Knick roster.

Trading Crawford, Q.Rich, Jefferies, James, and Malik to get a few of these players on the roster: Rip, Ellis, Pietrus, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Nachbar, Haslem, Willie Green, Reggie Evans, Scola, or Bell.

Trading Marbury for franchise experience players J. O'Neal, or Baron Davis could change the outlook of this Knick Franchise by 2010 offseason.

dre48ny

Rotation player
My 40 years of watching the NBA, 98% of all Super-Star players are traded before letting go to the free agent market.

Shaq is a different story all-together he was a BIGG arrogant problem in the NBA his first 5 years (The main reason why Shaq got swept in his first FINALS).
I also recall Shaq's first "All-Star" game where bothsides the East and West teams prevented the arrogant Shaq from scoring a point in the first half of the All-Star Game.

The Knicks would have a decent chance at getting Lebron, Wade, and Bosh if they start making some serious trades at the start of "Draft Night" this offseason to get NBA players that performance improve their teammates performance.

Trading Zach Randolph for Kenyon Martin leadership performance would lift-up the perfomance of Curry, Lee, and Chandler on this Knick roster.

Trading Crawford, Q.Rich, Jefferies, James, and Malik to get a few of these players on the roster: Rip, Ellis, Pietrus, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Nachbar, Haslem, Willie Green, Reggie Evans, Scola, or Bell.

Trading Marbury for franchise experience players J. O'Neal, or Baron Davis could change the outlook of this Knick Franchise by 2010 offseason.

There is no doubt that Shaq is an arrogant bastard, but I was just pointing out that superstars do get traded. Let's face it he was a top 3 player during his prime and he was traded!!

Trades must be made because whatever free agent they sign still will need help to make a run at the championship. I don't know about Jermaine O'neal always getting hurt and he hasn't won anything. Baron Davis on the other hand would be great in D'Antoni's system. I would love to have Ellis, Rip, Smith, or Evans on our squad but those players might be a little tricky to obtain.

moneyg

Starter
i'd agree with not just focusing on lbj. anything can happen in the nba.. even injuries... but he should be #1 follwed by wade and then bosh.

but id like to take a crack at this monta kid. if we can get him and trade crawford that would b nice...:smokin:

GTKnicksFAN

Benchwarmer
would any of you guys make a run a gerald wallace i love his game hes one of the most underrated players in this leuage how do u suffer a linebackers concussion and still not get yours props?????

would any of you guys make a run a gerald wallace i love his game hes one of the most underrated players in this leuage how do u suffer a linebackers concussion and still not get yours props?????
It is you who has suffered from a concussion my friend. You must be related to jpz17. Both of you are disease ridden Anal Intruders. Gerald wallace has been injury prone since entering the league 6 years ago. He will have 4 years left on his contract at the beginning of next season. We made the mistake of trading for an injury prone Quentin Richardson already. Gerald Wallace is a poor three point and free throw shooter. After suffering many injuries he will lose his first step quicker then the average basketball player. That will make him less effective on defense and expect his field goal percentage to decline. Lets be more sensible in the future.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Cap Space in 2010

Walsh made clear -- and before D'Antoni became coach -- that he wanted cap space by 2010. It does not necessarily follow, however, that his reason for wanting cap space is tied to LeBron, Bosh or Wade. Just getting cap breathing space is worthwhile in itself.

Consider what is keeping the Knicks from cap space in 2010: Z. Randolph at more than $17M, Curry at $11M or so, Crawford at $10M plus, and Jefferies at about $7M. Walsh can not get the Knicks under the cap in 2010 without dealing most of these guys for contracts that expire before 2010. Perhaps he is simply identifying the players he does not like on the Knicks. Hiring D'Antoni as coach did not increase the values of any one those Knicks other than perhaps Crawford. Walsh has got to get rid of at least two of the four.

By 2010 we should have at least two good draft picks. They are going to be on the 2010 cap for a total of about $10M. Lee and Robinson will be getting contracts from someone. The Knicks are going to have a hard time getting enough cap space to interest the likes of LeBron. I am all for moving, particularly Z. Randolph, quickly. There is a lot of dead weight out there with only two contract years left. But we should not give up draft picks. The Knicks have to rebuild. They do not have to, and should not, count on LeBron. And if we get good players before 2010, perhaps we won't need cap space. But none of the four with 2010 contracts have shown much. I would not miss any of them. (If only Curry would get into shape at least one season. If he learned to run, he could also learn to jump.)

Paul1355

All Star
Walsh made clear -- and before D'Antoni became coach -- that he wanted cap space by 2010. It does not necessarily follow, however, that his reason for wanting cap space is tied to LeBron, Bosh or Wade. Just getting cap breathing space is worthwhile in itself.

Consider what is keeping the Knicks from cap space in 2010: Z. Randolph at more than $17M, Curry at $11M or so, Crawford at $10M plus, and Jefferies at about $7M. Walsh can not get the Knicks under the cap in 2010 without dealing most of these guys for contracts that expire before 2010. Perhaps he is simply identifying the players he does not like on the Knicks. Hiring D'Antoni as coach did not increase the values of any one those Knicks other than perhaps Crawford. Walsh has got to get rid of at least two of the four.

By 2010 we should have at least two good draft picks. They are going to be on the 2010 cap for a total of about $10M. Lee and Robinson will be getting contracts from someone. The Knicks are going to have a hard time getting enough cap space to interest the likes of LeBron. I am all for moving, particularly Z. Randolph, quickly. There is a lot of dead weight out there with only two contract years left. But we should not give up draft picks. The Knicks have to rebuild. They do not have to, and should not, count on LeBron. And if we get good players before 2010, perhaps we won't need cap space. But none of the four with 2010 contracts have shown much. I would not miss any of them. (If only Curry would get into shape at least one season. If he learned to run, he could also learn to jump.)

i agree those 3 have to go and i think walsh has been planning that since day one it's just the apporach and what we'll get in return but honestly with cap space and some decent talent the knicks can sign a great guy in 2010 and i think he will make a big move prob for a big guy if they get any good SG or SF. Those contracts are too high and if walsh wants that 2010 dream those guys leaving has to make it come true. Jamal Jeffries at 7 mil? damn isiah you really loved to spend dolan's cash on useless players. I hope walsh doesnt go for Isiah's scouting analysist in Europe beign a so called "pro scout" and all...knowing Isiah he'd say that Gillinari is the next Ginobli just to stick it to Walsh.