Does anyone know how trades work for teams under the cap? Sixers trade looks possible

New New York

Quiet Storm
The reason why I ask becuase as I look at the Sixers cap for next year I realize that they are about 16 million under (there is no way to tell until July 1st). But their salary is at 39 million and the NBA cap probably will be around 56 million or so. Now their cap could vary when factoring in the MLE and Trade exemptions, but lets for the sake of keeping it simple say their cap is 39 million with everything taken into consideration. That would put them at 17 million under the cap right? Ok we could basically trade Zach's 13 million dollar contract to them for nothing which is like waiving him without having to pay! Now, per NBA trade regs. you can't trade a player for nothing, plus Donnie Walsh is obviously going to want something for a 17 and 10 player. So lets say we take Evans and an uprotected 2010 pick from them. We would be knocking 9 million off of our books this season, and around 10 million the next two seasons. The Sixers gets just as many rebs per game plus 15 more points (I'd imagine Zach returns to 20 ppg if he becomes the focal point of an offense again). Now the Sixers would also only be at 47 million after getting Zach which is around 9 million under, along with getting the low post scorer they need, not a bad trade at all for them! Not to mention it is a player familar with their coach who will not be afraid of Zach's rep. The Knicks just simply slide D. Lee into the starting five and all is well. The Knicks will still have the leaguse highest payroll this year but would drop to 48 million 09/10 (give or take a few with this years rookies contract) but would start to look like a team with some hope. Maybe we can get more from Philly for this trade but really I'm content with just Evan's contract and a 2010 pick. We could keep Evans for this season, and try to move him the season after next his contract will only be two years 8 million by then so we could even buy him out for 6.5 million to save us a little more.

Now ofcourse if my understanding of the cap is wrong then this is null and void, so please if anyone knows let me know.

Side Note: To my man ABCD this is not to say that Zach is not talented and that he is reason for all of our problems, but he just has the biggest contract, and he is the only person with some trade value on our team that it wouldn't kill us to move.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
If a team is under the cap, that means the salaries don't have to match, for the trade to go through. However, you can't make an offer that puts the team that's under the cap over the cap. Ex: Let's say the Knicks are 10 million dollars under the cap. That means that they can trade for someone that makes up to 10 million dollars more than the player they are offering. By the way, I have no problems trading Zach Randolph. Nobody on the Knicks is untouchable, including him. I just feel the Knicks should try to trade Curry, because he's the least productive of the two. But if the Knicks trade Randolph, I wouldn't mind, as long as the Knicks get some picks and expiring contracts in return.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Thanks for your feedback, so I did have the idea of the cap correctly. And so this trade is very possible. We'll have to wait and see what comes draft night and off season!