Trade Up, Trade Down, or Stay at 6th?

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
With the Draft officially about a week away, what are your FINAL thoughts for what we have to do involving the pick?

Personally I think we should first try to get a top 3 pick. I think it's possible. It just depends on who we have to give up. But of course taking back huge contracts might stop that from happening. With the 3rd pick, we'd of course take Mayo and that could be the start of something good in the long run.

We could also just stay at 6th and see who's the best available, but that must be after we've exhausted all possibilities already in getting a top 3 pick.

I wouldn't mind trading down if it will involve taking expiring contracts or a young player with the caliber of Josh Smith or someone similar.

Lastly I'd just like to say that I'm not that all excited about this 2010 run at Lebron James. I mean ya we could save expiring contracts for 2010 and all the marquee players that will be available then, but I just don't know why we're counting too much on that. For one thing I'm not a fan of one superstar running the show. I'd rather we had several young guys this coming season and stick with them for maybe 2 years then acquire proven veterans (not necessarily All Stars) to complement them once we're back in our winning ways.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Nice post.
I just read an article where minny wants to trade down. They like Mayo for his star power but Mayo has declined all workouts with them.
They have their eyes set on gallinari soooooooooooooooooooo here's the speculation.

Lee and #6 for #3

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i would love to trade up and take Mayo but if we can't he could still be there if minny doesn't take him if he's off the board and we're at 6 then Westbrook is the way we should go then we could trade for a later first rounder and take a big

but first option is going for #3 so we could assure ourselves we take Mayo

New New York

Quiet Storm
Nice post.
I just read an article where minny wants to trade down. They like Mayo for his star power but Mayo has declined all workouts with them.
They have their eyes set on gallinari soooooooooooooooooooo here's the speculation.

Lee and #6 for #3

Me Like! From what I am hearing no one is taking Zach off of our hands so as unpopular of move this may be, we might have to explore options for David Lee. The problem is that Minny already has Al Harrington so would they really want Lee? Plus if Minny doesnt grab OJ Mayo that gives us a shot at Bayless or Mayo for nothing. Say Minny Grabs Lopez, Seattle Bayless, and Memphis (who I imagine Mayo doesnt work out for either) takes Love then Mayo could fall into our laps. Now this is highly unlikely, I imagine either Minny or Memphis does what The Bucks did last year and just draft a player that doesnt want to be on their team.

Just think if we don't go on that damn three game win steak late last season we would've had the same record as Minny and even if we lost the tie breaker to them we would have a shot at Bayless.

Anyways do you think Minny takes Eddy Curry in such a proposal? Eddy and the Number 6 for Number 3 and Antione Walker (team option after next season).

Ya know i would love to move up to 3 to have the option to take Mayo but with the contract situation of Curry and Randolph i don't see that being a possibility. I would be happy to sit and 6 and see who falls to us, there are some great players in this draft. Would love to move Curry though...

metrocard

Legend
This draft is really deep and we have to remember that we're going to get a good player regardless.

Minnesota loves Galinari and Love...that gives us a chance to trade up and get Mayo.

I also want Augustin if we could somehow get him, but i'll be happy with.

If we do get Mayo, we have to trade Crawford, Curry and Randolph right away. This is the most losingest trio in NBA history. They're garbage and they will give Mayo cancer. Mayo should be surrounded by a better locker room.

Trade those guys for anything that is an expiring contract, cheaper contract, or a draft pick. Thats the direction we have to go.

Westbrook won't be a starter right away in the NBA; he's Keyon Dooling.

Gordon is one dimensional.

Lopez will be good, nothing great.

Randolph doesn't fight for rebounds as he should; that scares me.

jpz17

Starter
There is not much difference between 6th and 3rd.. Except Mayo. The Knicks will get a good player no matter wwhat if they pick smart. There is more than 6 good players in this draft.. Lee is worth more then that

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
i think they should trade randolph and number 6 for the number 1 or 2 pick i dont think thats a bad trade either was

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
Fresh Legs

I think we should trade Curry, Steph and richardson 2 chi town for the#1 pick and Joakhim Noah. Then trade Randolph and Crawford (or the #6 pick) (preferrably Crawford) 2 Miami 4 the #2 pick Then we get D-Rose Michael Beastley and Mayo. We are set 4 the future and Chandler also gets his time 2 shine. We then have a defencive hustling running team for years 2 come.

Our starting Lineup:
PG-D Rose
SG-O.J Mayo
SF-W Chandler
PF-M Beastley
C-Joakhim Noah

This would be the best team D'antoni could ever have 4 his system:smokin::smokin::beer::2cents:

I think we should trade Curry, Steph and richardson 2 chi town for the#1 pick and Joakhim Noah. Then trade Randolph and Crawford (or the #6 pick) (preferrably Crawford) 2 Miami 4 the #2 pick Then we get D-Rose Michael Beastley and Mayo. We are set 4 the future and Chandler also gets his time 2 shine. We then have a defencive hustling running team for years 2 come.

Our starting Lineup:
PG-D Rose
SG-O.J Mayo
SF-W Chandler
PF-M Beastley
C-Joakhim Noah

This would be the best team D'antoni could ever have 4 his system:smokin::smokin::beer::2cents:

LMAO your freaking dreaming buddy never gunna happen ever...

anyway mayo is nice but i really think we should focus on a point guard... i like staying at number 6 not trading up
if mayo falls to us great if not westbrook is the way to go
he will be better than keyon dooling like mentioned before
he is more athletic stronger and mentioned as the best perimeter defender in the draft
point gurads rule the NBA these days so i htink we should rebuild around a pg and westbrook could develope into a star one day and change the mindset of this team

i then think that instead of trading up we should trade for a second pick later on
players like alexander will be available at 8 randolph from somewhere between 10 and 12
possibly lopez, jordan, mcgee, speights,

this would give us a pg to build around and a promising player in alexander or randolph or a talented big man in lopez jordan mcgee or speights

theknicks3

Benchwarmer

Our starting Lineup:
PG-D Rose
SG-O.J Mayo
SF-W Chandler
PF-M Beastley
C-Joakhim Noah

do you honestly think that could happen.

I think we should keep the pick, I would hate to lose lee, balkman or chandler.

6 could still get us mayo.

our second rotation of lee, nate, mayo, and balkman would be so exciting.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Forget about trading up. If you had a top pick (1-3) would you trade it for Zach Randolph or Jamal Crawford? Didn't think so. What we get is what we get. Hopefully we can draft the point guard or a shot blocker.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Forget about trading up. If you had a top pick (1-3) would you trade it for Zach Randolph or Jamal Crawford? Didn't think so. What we get is what we get. Hopefully we can draft the point guard or a shot blocker.

Yes your right we needing those two sorts. Clubs with top 4 picks don't want garbage for their promising picks. ie. Zach and Curry can only be traded for rubbish players imo

jimenezz7

Benchwarmer
I know people are gonna kill me for this but look at it like this Chris Paul is a freak,But if you look at the players around him they hit there shots and it opens the whole floor up and that makes him so much better,He penetrates and when the defense collapses on him he kicks the ball out and they drain shots,Now look at Steph there is nobody in the league better than him at driving to the basket and kicking the ball to the open man but the problem is these guys never get open because they never move without the ball and when they are left open they dont hit there shots.Remember how good Steph played the pick and roll with Doleac or how good he played with Van Horn that was because they could both hit jump shots and both played fundamental basketball.So my point is that I would trade anyone on this team because none of them are really very good not one player has any basketball knowledge of how to win and our young guys have been ruined by Isiah these players and everything else that has gone on for the past few years.So trade anybody that can make us improve because we are not winning anything with what we have.If we can somehow trade players for picks do it with no hesitation REBUILD anyway we can.Just look at the teams of Ewing and look at our team today its not even close we have to start over with as many players from the draft as possiable and hope to get lucky like Miami did with D Wade and the Hornets did with Paul we havent got lucky since Ewing so our time should come I HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
I see about 4 Super-Stars in this entire draft since the withdrawels, which the 6 pick can only get one of these Super Stars, but that one happen to be a SF. Plus I would hate to see any of the 2008 draft picks be put on the Knicks roster which is loaded with Lockerroom Cancer veteran players that are not dedicated to B-Ball or playing team chemistry to improve the talents of a drafted player.

Come on everyone lets be real about Zach Randolph, especially after the altercation he just previously had off the court this offseason.
To trade Zach we would have to trade the 6 pick along with him or give up Lee, or Nate, or Chandler.

In return we will be getting a bunch of players inwhich we would have to buyout half of them, thats if we were able to trade Zach with the 6 pick.
That's Real!

If Zach Randolph contract was $7 or $8 million per season we would find takers for him and his on and off the court antics.

All the Fans that says things like Zach is a great or good player, or our best player, let them find one or two teams that will trade for Zach Randolph straight up.

If they could
Dolan, Donnie Walsh, D'Antoni, and Isiah Thomas will come out their own pockets with a half a million dollars if that person can convince the next team into taking Zach Randolph off the Knicks hands in a trade.

And Zach is just one of the long list of Knick veteran cancer players that need to be traded.

Trin_Starr

Starter
I know people are gonna kill me for this but look at it like this Chris Paul is a freak,But if you look at the players around him they hit there shots and it opens the whole floor up and that makes him so much better,He penetrates and when the defense collapses on him he kicks the ball out and they drain shots,Now look at Steph there is nobody in the league better than him at driving to the basket and kicking the ball to the open man but the problem is these guys never get open because they never move without the ball and when they are left open they dont hit there shots.Remember how good Steph played the pick and roll with Doleac or how good he played with Van Horn that was because they could both hit jump shots and both played fundamental basketball.So my point is that I would trade anyone on this team because none of them are really very good not one player has any basketball knowledge of how to win and our young guys have been ruined by Isiah these players and everything else that has gone on for the past few years.So trade anybody that can make us improve because we are not winning anything with what we have.If we can somehow trade players for picks do it with no hesitation REBUILD anyway we can.Just look at the teams of Ewing and look at our team today its not even close we have to start over with as many players from the draft as possiable and hope to get lucky like Miami did with D Wade and the Hornets did with Paul we havent got lucky since Ewing so our time should come I HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!

You are right. We made the playoffs under lenny because he allowed marbury to play his game even with the weak supporting cast he had. I remember when we had Steph at PG, H20 at 2 and Van horn at 3 - we looked killer - steph was dishing and guys were knocking down open shots. Then H20 went down with knee injury and in came JC who was either feast or famine and in no way as reliable as houston's J.
Then in came LB and Isiah who tried to turn Marbury into something he is not. That's why I like D'Antoni - he says he will play to Marbury's strengths and minimize his weaknesses and not try to push a square peg into a round hole.
I think marbury will have a great season this year for 2 main reasons - he will play the way he has always played and 2, he will be playing for a new contract.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Draft Picks

I am generally in line with Metro, Brooklyn Baller and Jiminezz.

I do not see anything happening until draft night. Mayo will be the best available at #3, but Minnesota probably wants a big guy. One or more of Love, Lopez or Gallinari will be available down the line. I don't think Mayo will be available at #6, not because Minnesota is going to take him and keep him, but because it will trade with someone down the line.

I hope that Mayo or Bayless is available for the Knicks, but if both are gone at #6, that pick is not bad. Westbrook is fine, so is Randolph. I expect Marbury to have a good year, that would help Westbrook to mature.

Rather than trade up, I would prefer, if possible, a trade for another 1st round pick. I like Lee, but many teams covet him. There are a lot of guys well after #6 with potential.