Walsh puts drafting Mayo a top priority

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
From the New York Post:

WALSH EYES MAYO SWAP

June 25, 2008 --

The Knicks New York Knicks have polled NBA personnel the past few days, trying to figure out the chances of USC combo guard O.J. Mayo falling to them at six.

With the chances slim, Knick president Donnie Walsh is exploring ways of swapping picks with Memphis at No. 5 or Minnesota at No. 3, according to a league source, with their goal of drafting Mayo.

Walsh believes Mayo can play point guard and has deemed him the best player after Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley.

According ESPN.com, the Knicks even discussed a trade with Memphis about acquiring the fifth pick altogether, in dealing popular David Lee David Lee and Malik Rose for Brian Cardinal, who has two years left on his pact.

Cardinal's addition would not effect the Knicks' goal of moving under the salary cap by 2010. That trade likely would be contingent on Mayo being available at 5.

When asked yesterday about trading up or back, Walsh said, "I don't know if it's going to be available. It depends on how the draft goes to know if I want to do that."

Asked if anything were close, including a Memphis trade, Walsh said, "You have to ask the other guy. It takes two to tango. We have no deals right now. We have so many discussions. I don't want to get into specific ones."

Walsh met the press after a scouting meeting during which different trade scenarios were discussed. He has never made a draft-night deal with a first-round pick in 22 drafts, but coach Mike D'Antoni has wheeled his first-rounder the last four drafts.

Walsh appears worried one of the PGs he likes won't be there at No. 6. Sources indicate the Knicks no longer are interested in Arizona combo guard Jerryd Bayless. But they still pine for UCLA PG Russell Westbrook, an athletic, explosive penetrator who's a solid defender, and Indians sharpshooting combo guard Eric Gordon.

Westbrook could go to Seattle at No. 4. Meanwhile, Gordon is more shooting guard than PG.

"People in front of us have control over [the guys we want]," Walsh said. "It's real confusing. Point guards, they can all be gone by [No. 6]."

As for the purest PG in the draft, the 5-10 D.J. Augustin, the Knicks appear to deem him too small to take a chance on at No. 6. ESPN draft analyst Jay Bilas said yesterday if he needed a PG, he'd take Augustin over Bayless and Westbrook.

Walsh said he won't be devastated if he doesn't come away with a PG.

"This is the first step to the offseason," Walsh said, referring to free agency.

"There are other steps. If the right person is available, you look at the position. If the person isn't available, you don't."

If the Knicks can't trade up for Mayo and the right PG isn't there at 6, Walsh could take the 6-10 Italian Stallion, Dino Gallinari, or 6-10 LSU freshman Anthony Randolph, a project with a big upside.

I'm glad Walsh is trying to his best in getting Mayo. We're definitely on the same page. At first upon hearing this rumor about Memphis' 5th pick, I thought it was mainly to acquire 2 young picks (which was good either way), with acquiring Mayo just a jackpot in case he's still available. But judging from this article it seems to me all Walsh's moves right now are directed at getting Mayo, and that's great! I don't know how we're gonna pry that 3rd pick from Minnesota but I sure hope he gets it done. I'm also pleased that most of us here are feeling good about this "Lee for 5th pick deal."

metrocard

Legend
I love Walsh, atleast he's trying to make moves.

If Isiah was GM, Eric Gordon would of have been given a promised to be picked at 6. Isiah would trade Marbury's expiring contract + the 6 for all of Minnesota's bad contracts + their 3 to draft Gordon over Mayo just to piss off us.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
I love Walsh, atleast he's trying to make moves.

If Isiah was GM, Eric Gordon would of have been given a promised to be picked at 6. Isiah would trade Marbury's expiring contract + the 6 for all of Minnesota's bad contracts + their 3 to draft Gordon over Mayo just to piss off us.

If Isiah did that, everyone in New York are gonna hunt him down and hill him.

Anyway I haven't really thought hard yet on what deal could be possibly offered to Minnesota. Chances of Mayo landing at 5 are still very slim. They've probably even got slimmer these past days. All of sudden, everyone's high on Mayo. Some would even go as far and say that he'd be selected ahead of Beasley. The 3rd pick really has to be ours. C'mon Walsh, show us what you got.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
we should look at something along the lines of:

Crawford and #6

for

Walker and #3....thats a great deal for us we get Walkers expiring contract and O.J Mayo...i wouldn't even throwing in Lee with Crawford and the #6