Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 155

Thread: The Bible - Proof that Christianity is True

  1. #46
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Some prophecies were accurate because, quite simply, they were written after the event it purports to have foreseen. The Book of Daniel is a good example of this. It pretends to have been written during the time of the exile, that is around the sixth century BCE. Today, it is has been shown that Daniel was actually written around the second century BCE.

    The prophet Isaiah, for instance, foretold the drying up of all the waters of the Egypt, and the destruction of all land used for plantation due to this drying up of the River Nile.
    Isaiah 19:5-7
    And the waters of the Nile will be dried up, and the river will be parched and dry; and its canal will become foul, and the branches of Egypt's Nile will diminish and dry up, reeds and rushes will rot away. There will be bare places by the Nile, on the brink of the Nile, and all that is sown by the Nile will dry up, be driven away, and be no more.

    This part of Isaiah, widely accepted by scholars to be written around the eighth century BC, is about 2750 years old. And in all this period of two and three quarters millennia, this prophecy has yet to be fulfilled! Moreover it is clear from the context that Isaiah prophecy was meant for the Egypt of his time. For it was with that Egypt that Isaiah and his people had a grievance against, and the prophecy was a warning to them. Obviously this is a clear example of an unfulfilled prophecy.

    In a similar vein, Isaiah predicted the complete and utter destruction of Damascus.

    Isaiah 17:1-2
    An oracle concerning Damascus. See, Damascus will cease to be a city, and will become a heap of ruins. Her towns will be deserted forever...
    As noted above, it is now almost three millennia since that prophecy and Damascus remains a vibrant city to this day. While Damascus had been overran many times in its past, it is still around. Thus the prophecy that says Damascus will cease to be a city forever is obviously false.

  2. #47
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    So, you worship him for the promise of everlasting life in paradise? That means that people that don't worship him will not receive everlasting life in paradise? So, about 75% of the world's population will suffer in hell? Again, an egotistical, venegful God. I choose not to give my worship to such a being.
    Actually, hell is not a fiery place of torment. Rather just as God said to Adam in the Garden in

    Gen 3: 19 In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”
    And low and behold.. when a person dies... just that happens. They turn to dust eventually.

    God said in Ezekiel 18:4

    Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul that is sinning—it itself will die.

    When something dies, it ceases to exist. If you are burning in hell forever, and you know it, then are you dead, or alive? No, you are alive, and God is keeping you alive to torture you in reality.

    But the bible also says this about death.

    Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.

    and 9:10 All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in She´ol, the place to which you are going. Sheol is translated pit, hell and grave in certain bibles, and is also the translation for hades in greek. In the hebrew language Sheol simply means common grave.

    Solomon here states clearly that there is nothing beyond death in the form of existence. You are just gone.

    To further illustrate this, in psalms 146
    3 Do not put YOUR trust in nobles,
    Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs.
    4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground;
    In that day his thoughts do perish.


    So when a man dies, his very thoughts perish. How can a person recongize or be cohesive in any form with his thoughts perishing? Not possible.

    And again, you are making God out to be egotistical when you dont understand the issue here. God created Man for the sake of him living forever in righteousness. Those who choose to live unrighteous have the right to do so, but that still does not mean that God has to allow you to live. You said yourself that Gods way of living is a good way to live. Well if you were God, would you want people who lived good to live forever , or people who choose not to to live forever? For the sake of those who wanna live righteously, you will probably rid them of those who CHOOSE to live wickedly. Remember, people choose how they wanna be. God is not making them be the way they choose.

    Another analogy.

    If you were a teacher, and you had 25 kids. 7 of them at diff times would always try and disrupt the class from learning while the others just wanted education. Would you allow those 7 to stop the others who wanted their education to continue in the class uninhibited? Or would you find a form of disciple to try and help the 7 and the others if at all possible? As a teacher, you'd want ALL to succeed, but if you see the 7 cant be helped and the other still wanna learn, would you then sacrifice the other 7 in some capacity for the ones who are eager to learn?

  3. #48
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Jeremiah prophesied that Jehoiakim will have no successor:

    Jeremiah 36:30
    Therefore thus says the Lord concerning Jehoiakim king of Judah, he shall have none to sit on the throne of David.
    Unfortunately his prophecy is proven false by another passage in the Bible:

    II Kings 24:6
    So Jehoiakim slept with his fathers and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead.
    The bible actually contradicts itself here. Hardly 100 for 100. Prophecies that can fail are further evidence that the Bible is by no means an error free book.

  4. #49
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    And again, you are making God out to be egotistical when you dont understand the issue here. God created Man for the sake of him living forever in righteousness. Those who choose to live unrighteous have the right to do so, but that still does not mean that God has to allow you to live. You said yourself that Gods way of living is a good way to live. Well if you were God, would you want people who lived good to live forever , or people who choose not to to live forever? For the sake of those who wanna live righteously, you will probably rid them of those who CHOOSE to live wickedly. Remember, people choose how they wanna be. God is not making them be the way they choose.
    So, if I live my life as a good person, by choice of my own and not worship God, in fact don't believe in him at all, do I still get the everlasting life in paradise?

  5. #50
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Some prophecies were accurate because, quite simply, they were written after the event it purports to have foreseen. The Book of Daniel is a good example of this. It pretends to have been written during the time of the exile, that is around the sixth century BCE. Today, it is has been shown that Daniel was actually written around the second century BCE.

    The prophet Isaiah, for instance, foretold the drying up of all the waters of the Egypt, and the destruction of all land used for plantation due to this drying up of the River Nile.



    This part of Isaiah, widely accepted by scholars to be written around the eighth century BC, is about 2750 years old. And in all this period of two and three quarters millennia, this prophecy has yet to be fulfilled! Moreover it is clear from the context that Isaiah prophecy was meant for the Egypt of his time. For it was with that Egypt that Isaiah and his people had a grievance against, and the prophecy was a warning to them. Obviously this is a clear example of an unfulfilled prophecy.

    In a similar vein, Isaiah predicted the complete and utter destruction of Damascus.



    As noted above, it is now almost three millennia since that prophecy and Damascus remains a vibrant city to this day. While Damascus had been overran many times in its past, it is still around. Thus the prophecy that says Damascus will cease to be a city forever is obviously false.

    Which scolars? Define scholars? And I saiah said it would become a ruin, it never said it would be uninhibited. Isaiah also said the same of Jerusalem.

  6. #51
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    Which scolars? Define scholars? And I saiah said it would become a ruin, it never said it would be uninhibited. Isaiah also said the same of Jerusalem.
    Dude...I don't know the names the scholars. Religous and historic scholars believe it was written in the 8th century BC. I'm just answering your argument of the bible being perfect, when it is clearly not.

  7. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Jeremiah prophesied that Jehoiakim will have no successor:



    Unfortunately his prophecy is proven false by another passage in the Bible:



    The bible actually contradicts itself here. Hardly 100 for 100. Prophecies that can fail are further evidence that the Bible is by no means an error free book.
    Jehoaikims sons never remained in power. Shortly after his death, his sons were to be made in captivity by Nebucadnezzar. Jehoiachin surrendered to neb and Neb made his uncle Zedekiah ruler. Jehoiachin ruled for a mere 3 months and ten days on the run pretty much. So in that sense, he was never able to rule like the bible said.

  8. #53
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Dude...I don't know the names the scholars. Religous and historic scholars believe it was written in the 8th century BC. I'm just answering your argument of the bible being perfect, when it is clearly not.

    So this can just be propaganda on their part the, correct?

  9. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    So, if I live my life as a good person, by choice of my own and not worship God, in fact don't believe in him at all, do I still get the everlasting life in paradise?

    That would be in Gods hands at that point. But God did say this.

    Psalms 37
    28 For Jehovah is a lover of justice,
    And he will not leave his loyal ones.
    To time indefinite they will certainly be guarded;
    But as for the offspring of the wicked ones, they will indeed be cut off.
    29 The righteous themselves will possess the earth,
    And they will reside forever upon it.


    Righteous entails knowing and living what is right by God's standards. So if you are going to ignore him, how can you truly live righteously?

  10. #55
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    That would not really be evolution, that would happen due to the fact that we destroyed the ozone layer and it killed off a race due to our mistreating the protective ozone layer.
    Thats what evolution is. Durp. The weak die, the strong live and reproduce.

  11. #56
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    I said I would not address you again, because you are still not rationally conversing here and everyone else is. But it is killing me that you have not even tried to dispute the things the bible presents. You keep saying that nothing can be proved when I have laid examples of how true the bible has been. You cannot logically disprove anything that has been presented from the bible.

    Is the earth not a sphere that hangs on nothing? How in the world would Isaiah and Job know these things in their time for sure if not for guidance from a higher being? GUESSING? Did they have telescopes like we do? HOW COULD THEY KNOW THIS?????!!! How could the bible writer predict the name of a ruler who did not exist during the time of writing, What he would do, exactly how it would happen, and also foretell the annihilation of a once prominent society in Babylon DOWN TO OUR VERY DAY, if not for divine intervention? Can Babylon be inhabited today? Can people live there? NO! Have you seen the ruins of ancient babylon? THE PLACE IS DESOLATED! It is a desert.. Cannot be inhabited. And the fact that rulers after the destruction of it, namely Alexander the great tried to make it a place of prominence and failed shows that God cannot lie. WHAT HE SAYS WILL HAPPEN, HAPPENS!

    Are you familiar with the destruction o the jews in 70 ce? Probably not, world history does not appear to be a strength of yours. I'll briefly enlighten you.


    The Destruction of Jerusalem

    Jesus was Jehovah’s greatest Prophet. First, note what he said would happen to Jerusalem: “Your enemies will build around you a fortification with pointed stakes and will encircle you and distress you from every side, and they will dash you and your children within you to the ground, and they will not leave a stone upon a stone in you, because you did not discern the time of your being inspected.” (Luke 19:43, 44) Jesus also said: “When you see Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies, then know that the desolating of her has drawn near. Then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains.”—Luke 21:20, 21.

    True to the prophecy, Roman armies under Cestius Gallus came against Jerusalem in 66 C.E. Strangely, however, he did not press the siege to its completion, but, as the first-century historian Flavius Josephus reported: “He retired from the city, without any reason in the world.”10 With the siege unexpectedly lifted, opportunity was afforded to heed Jesus’ instruction to flee Jerusalem. The historian Eusebius reported that it was the Christians who fled.

    Less than four years later, in 70 C.E., Roman armies under General Titus returned and encircled Jerusalem. They cut down trees for miles around and built a city-encircling wall, “a fortification with pointed stakes.” As a result, Josephus observed: “All hope of escaping was now cut off from the Jews.” Josephus noted that after a siege of about five months, aside from three towers and a portion of a wall, what was left “was so thoroughly laid even with the ground . . . that there was left nothing to make those that came thither believe it had ever been inhabited.”

    About 1,100,000 died during the siege, and 97,000 were taken captive. To this day a testimony to the fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy can be seen in Rome. There the Arch of Titus stands, erected by the Romans in 81 C.E. to commemorate the successful capture of Jerusalem. That arch remains a silent reminder to the fact that failure to heed the warnings in Bible prophecy can lead to disaster.


    Now, you scoffed at the Medes and Perisians happening. A fairy tale you called , even though fairy tales don't REALLY HAPPEN. You scoffed at the destruction of Babylon, even though the Ruler who destroyed it was named 200 years before it happened, how it would exactly happened was told and the fact that it is a desolate ruin as we currently speak. JUST LIKE THE BIBLE SAID IT WOULD BE. Let's see how you can scoff at the arch of titus that actually exists today which lends proof to further prophecy of the bible.

    I mean look what we have.. scientific facts known long before our genius scientific society actually got to know for sure these things are factual.

    We have prophecies that are fulfilled with astounding accuracy and proof that they happened in the very history books mankind loves to rely on.

    Yet you cling to theories and non proof and everyone else is the Idiot?

    The bible has not been wrong yet, yet those who believe in it are stupid? Where as Scientists cannot agree on how evolution happened, or if it's even feasible, they change beliefs as the wind blows, yet, this is what is fact? Yikes.

    Once again, you refuse to listen. There is no such thing as proof. There is nothing that concludes that something is indeed factual. There may be evidence which may support a cause, but nothing can be considered as proof because it cannot indeed prove 100% that such is the truth.

    Try actually reading my posts instead of ranting about the bible when I haven't even mentioned the bible.

    I'll take it down to your level...

    There is a video of a guy shooting another man. This is evidence of the man shooting him. Is it proof? No. How do we know that the man in the video is indeed the man we are accusing? How do we know that this is not edited? How do we know that this isn't really just an illusion created in our own minds, that we are even seeing such a thing? How do we know that the world is real? Hell, it could all be the Matrix. We could be a TV show, a la The Truman show. That is what you aren't getting. Nothing can be proven.

  12. #57
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    Once again, you refuse to listen. There is no such thing as proof. There is nothing that concludes that something is indeed factual. There may be evidence which may support a cause, but nothing can be considered as proof because it cannot indeed prove 100% that such is the truth.

    Try actually reading my posts instead of ranting about the bible when I haven't even mentioned the bible.

    I'll take it down to your level...

    There is a video of a guy shooting another man. This is evidence of the man shooting him. Is it proof? No. How do we know that the man in the video is indeed the man we are accusing? How do we know that this is not edited? How do we know that this isn't really just an illusion created in our own minds, that we are even seeing such a thing? How do we know that the world is real? Hell, it could all be the Matrix. We could be a TV show, a la The Truman show. That is what you aren't getting. Nothing can be proven.

    But I don't get it. Maybe Im in the matrix lol. The bible said things were going to happen. The very things it said would happen, happened. How am I not supposed to Believe that it's author is not authentic when he has never been wrong so far?

    We know that everything the bible said about the prophecies named have happened. So how can it be an illusion if it happened?

    I say to you, I am going to shoot you whenever we bump into each other over the internet. We bump into each other, I shoot you as I stated I would, is that the matrix? Or would that have really happened?

  13. #58
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    That would be in Gods hands at that point. But God did say this.

    Psalms 37
    28 For Jehovah is a lover of justice,
    And he will not leave his loyal ones.
    To time indefinite they will certainly be guarded;
    But as for the offspring of the wicked ones, they will indeed be cut off.
    29 The righteous themselves will possess the earth,
    And they will reside forever upon it.


    Righteous entails knowing and living what is right by God's standards. So if you are going to ignore him, how can you truly live righteously?
    Even though I live my life to God's standards, but just don't believe in him, I am not righteous and will therefore not recieve everlasting paradise? That is the definition of an egomaniac. I must worship him in order to live to his standards. So, I will therefore not worship an egomaniac.

    And again, 75% of the world is not living to his standards, because they do not worship the same God you talk about. Very arrogant.

  14. #59
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    But I don't get it. Maybe Im in the matrix lol. The bible said things were going to happen. The very things it said would happen, happened. How am I not supposed to Believe that it's author is not authentic when he has never been wrong so far?

    We know that everything the bible said about the prophecies named have happened. So how can it be an illusion if it happened?

    I say to you, I am going to shoot you whenever we bump into each other over the internet. We bump into each other, I shoot you as I stated I would, is that the matrix? Or would that have really happened?
    The bible is filled with errors, contradictions and prophecies that didn't come true. I have already highlighted some of these. I can give you about two-dozen more. I was raised religiously. But with an open mind and a thirst for knowledge I have realized the many falsehoods to Christainity and many other religions. I did not ignore the truth and blindly accept the lies. My mind is free now. I am a free thinker. I am allowed to see knowledge for what it is and not turn away from it.

  15. #60
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    The bible is filled with errors, contradictions and prophecies that didn't come true. I have already highlighted some of these. I can give you about two-dozen more. I was raised religiously. But with an open mind and a thirst for knowledge I have realized the many falsehoods to Christainity and many other religions. I did not ignore the truth and blindly accept the lies. My mind is free now. I am a free thinker. I am allowed to see knowledge for what it is and not turn away from it.
    You still have not told me how these guys could write that the earth was a sphere that hangs on nothing. How could they know this? We know it's true because we have the technology now to see it is. How did they know it?

Similar Threads

  1. Marbury blog
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: Jul 24, 2007, 16:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •