Why are we in pursuit of a PG

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Point Guard

There is not an established or promising point guard actually available to the Knicks that is as good as Marbury can be when he wants to be. I would rather have him, prima donna though he be, than Felton, Arroyo or Heinrich - even without his bloated contract.

The Knicks do need a point guard for the future. I do not see Nate or Mardy filling that role. But we can exercise some patience. Perhaps we can get Rubio next year. Crittenton is likely to be available on the cheap. Is it worth taking a chance on Shaun Livingston?

why because they basically handed him to us last time he was in dantonis system... marbury is very talented but he is also lazy selfish not smart off the court and is an overall cancer... his game and skills are up there with the best of em but his attitude and approach to the game is what drags him down... your point guard needs to be a leader on and off the floor and he is not your talking about a guy who self proclaimed himself one fo the best if not the best pg in the league everyone including marbury lovers have to admit thats a joke... and then marbury's off court interview where he falls over and cant get a full sentence out cause he is cracked out great leader for the team... i will be the first to tell you marbury could be one of the best around but he just cant get his head on straight... he will play by default if he is even here in the start of the season but thats it

now crawford is not a pg either... he is a scoring pg yet his problem is he is inconsistant... on any given night he could drop more than marbury problem is the next night he will drop 10 which is not productive at all... however crawfords game is the type that thrives in our new system so if he is around he may have some better production although i doubt itll be enough of a change to have everyone want to keep him around

nate also is not a true pg... he is more of an undersized sg that is drive forst pass second... he is very nice to have coming off the bench at either position to provide a spark for the team but thats it

collins is a pg but not a starter... he never should be a starter he is a solid backup but thats all

there is no answer at pg on this team right now... one has the tools but not the head.... so we wont have a true pg/leader till next years draft or if we trade ... id rather wait for the draft tho since i dont think we have the pieces to land a young leading pg.... and right now young is the is the way to go

There is not an established or promising point guard actually available to the Knicks that is as good as Marbury can be when he wants to be. I would rather have him, prima donna though he be, than Felton, Arroyo or Heinrich - even without his bloated contract.

The Knicks do need a point guard for the future. I do not see Nate or Mardy filling that role. But we can exercise some patience. Perhaps we can get Rubio next year. Crittenton is likely to be available on the cheap. Is it worth taking a chance on Shaun Livingston?

co-sign on your post
like i said marbury wins by default
forget felton and livingston
trade some guys to cut payroll and also try hard to get an extra 1st round hopefully lottery pick for next year... the draft isnt insanely deep right now but there are some definate ballers coming out next year

in that draft you can get guys like rubio or brandon jennings both will be great pg's in the league

also we can get a big guy like bj mullens or this kid from the sooners

and if all else fails try for the incoming freshman going to usc insane athlete would be an ideal replacement for crawford at sg

this way we can dump payroll ... marbury come off maybe
maybe lee (who wants to much for an extension) might be traded and most likely at least one of crawford, randolph, or curry will be traded
we should be able to get at least a 1st rounder for one of them or a packeage of them

this will keep us getting young talented players that we can build on and money to add a veteran leader through free agency (dwade would fit nicely and with the rumors of trade this last season maybe hell want to leave)

but all this is only speculation again so who knows it just seems like the smartest idea to me

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Quoted from Newsday June 28, 2008
Donnie Walsh had a relatively quiet draft night, but the new Knicks president does not plan to have a quiet summer. The search for a playmaking point guard to run the Mike D'Antoni offense - and maximize the all-star potential of Jamal Crawford - is a top priority.

George M.

Benchwarmer
Marbury is a better scorer than Crawford.

Marbury is a career 20 ppg scorer, Crawford barely touches 15.

Marbury shoots a higher FG%.
Giiven the freedom, Marbury gets buckets. Give Crawford freedom, he's either on or really off.

Marbury is also the best passer and PG on this team, and right now the best player despite his downfall season.

Crawford will hit the bench, Richardson will start because of his experience under D'Antoni.

Walsh is going to trade Crawford before Marbury goes also.
I totally agree on the fact that the pick-n-roll is Marbury's area of expertize.And yes,Next Town and Isiah Dumbass refused to use this skill of his and refused to surround him with good shooters makes me wonder why these 2 dickheads are even employed in the NBA at all.Absolutely mind boggling.However,from what is said around Crawfuls game under D'Antoni will flourish.I'd be really surprised if you hit this one on the head,Metro.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Marbury is a better scorer than Crawford.

Marbury is a career 20 ppg scorer, Crawford barely touches 15.

Marbury shoots a higher FG%.
Giiven the freedom, Marbury gets buckets. Give Crawford freedom, he's either on or really off.

Marbury is also the best passer and PG on this team, and right now the best player despite his downfall season.

Crawford will hit the bench, Richardson will start because of his experience under D'Antoni.

Walsh is going to trade Crawford before Marbury goes also.

Every report that I've read indicates that both Walsh and D'Antoni think Crawford is a perfect fit for the D'Antoni system. Marbury is not. Not saying it can't work because it can but the PG is the one position that needs to be pass first in order to win, as specially on a team stacked with shoot first no D guys like the Knicks. Marbuy is a good passer but the Knicks don't move the ball and every game I've seen, when you look close, Marbury is looking for his shot first. Passing is an after thought. He's a shooting guard. He shouldn't be running the offense. I'm with you if we can trade Crawford and move Marbury to the two, great! But no one seems to want to do that or has talked about it.

If anyone here thinks we're better off without Steph with the options that are out there, I think you simply hate him, or are nuts.

I was one of the biggest Crawford supporters here last season, and he let me down big time. This guy is not a pg. He should only ever be a shooting guard. Like Metro said, either he is really hot, or really cold. It's not that way with Steph because even on rough shooting nights, with the pick and roll he is going to the basket and creating for himself and others. Crawford still has not learned how to resist the ooh and ahh's when he breaks his man down and takes a fade away 50 footer. He is a great ft shooter, who never goes to the basket to draw fouls, and he turns the ball over way.. way too much. Steph is not turnover prone, and never really has been in his whole career which is something to treasure from your pg. I don't really wanna see Crawford here anymore, but if he cannot be moved, he should never be the pg.

HOWEVER! Steve Nash is another high turnover pg that excelled in D'antoni's system. So never know. Just don't see how D'antoni in his right mind would start anyone on this current roster over Steph at pg.