Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2008 Beijing FIBA Olympic Games Thread

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by pat
    Did you spot any undrafted players with NBA-potential so far (except obvious candidates such as Rubio)?
    A lot of people are talking about that 7 foot center star from Iran.

But he's very stiff and doesn't have soft hands. He isn't athletic...he's pretty much just a guy who relies on his size to get around.

Australia has a ****LOAD of guys who could be solid bench players. They could be an upset team like how Puerto Rico was in 2004.

Germany is pretty solid.

For Greece; Vassilis Spanoulis is a former NBAer...is a pure PG, doesn't have the athletic ability, but is a more scoring/defensive version of Calderon.

Dimitris Diamantidis is probably their best scorer.

Marko Tomas from Crotia is an animal, he can score and is just a very good all around player that can play multiple positions.,

China has Yi Jianlian, Yao, Wang Zhi Zhi, Sun Yue, and Chen Jinhua(I think I spelled his name around). Yi, Yao and Yue are already in the NBA, Chen is a 19 lighting quick PG...needs to work on his skills though. China has a very interesting team that really underachievers in my opinion. The talent is there.

All-tournament team:
    Jose Calderon
    Lebron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Luis Scola
    Marc Gasol

Top 5 in Scoring:
    1. Dirk Nowitzki
    2. Yao Ming
    3. Olimpio Cipriano
    4. Marko Tomas
    5. Linas Kleiza

Top 5 in Rebounding:
    1. Dwight Howard
    2. Yao Ming
    3. Dirk Nowitzki
    4. Andrew Bogut
    5. Hamed Ehadadi

Top 5 in Assists:
    1. Chris Paul
    2. Jose Calderon
    3. Pablo Prigioni
    4. Sarunas Jasikevicius
    5. Theo Papaloukas

For your squad Germany;

Tim Ohlbrecht is a PROSPECT to look at.
    Born in 88, his idol is Dirk and he plays like Dirk.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

He hasn't produced yet, but he's ranked 9th internationally in the 88' class...he was number one before.

I noticed Germany has a pretty tall team. There are 5 players 6'11 or above on Germany. Maybe Dirk will run some point on an all 7 footer line up.

Unfortunately for Germany, this is a guard oriented basketball. Germany would be good in the NBA, but not in FIBA.

The courts are smaller, so less space for bigs to create.
    If Germany had a guard, maybe Hinrich? I don't know why they didn't try to get him. Maybe because policy if you played for USA already you can't play for another team. But Germany would be SICK with Hinrich.

Hinrich/Hamann/Roller
    Greene/Garrett
    Wysocki/Schultze
    Nowitzki/Jagla
    Kaman/Fermerling/Ohlbrecht

I think Olbrecht is a real talent and it really showed in the few minutes he had. As far as getting Hinrich is concerned: I really don't think they will go for it. My guess would be that Nowitzki retires from his national team career (just as the others of his generation have already announced --> Roller, Femerling, Okulaja, Garett).

I have to agree: Marko Tomas is monster and should be in the NBA. What do you guys think about Rudy Fernandez?
    Last edited by pat; Aug 11, 2008 at 18:05.

12th man

The next Ginobili.
    I really wish Knicks took him.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    A lot of people are talking about that 7 foot center star from Iran.

But he's very stiff and doesn't have soft hands. He isn't athletic...he's pretty much just a guy who relies on his size to get around.

Australia has a ****LOAD of guys who could be solid bench players. They could be an upset team like how Puerto Rico was in 2004.

Germany is pretty solid.

For Greece; Vassilis Spanoulis is a former NBAer...is a pure PG, doesn't have the athletic ability, but is a more scoring/defensive version of Calderon.

Dimitris Diamantidis is probably their best scorer.

Marko Tomas from Crotia is an animal, he can score and is just a very good all around player that can play multiple positions.,

China has Yi Jianlian, Yao, Wang Zhi Zhi, Sun Yue, and Chen Jinhua(I think I spelled his name around). Yi, Yao and Yue are already in the NBA, Chen is a 19 lighting quick PG...needs to work on his skills though. China has a very interesting team that really underachievers in my opinion. The talent is there.

All-tournament team:
    Jose Calderon
    Lebron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Luis Scola
    Marc Gasol

Top 5 in Scoring:
    1. Dirk Nowitzki
    2. Yao Ming
    3. Olimpio Cipriano
    4. Marko Tomas
    5. Linas Kleiza

Top 5 in Rebounding:
    1. Dwight Howard
    2. Yao Ming
    3. Dirk Nowitzki
    4. Andrew Bogut
    5. Hamed Ehadadi

Top 5 in Assists:
    1. Chris Paul
    2. Jose Calderon
    3. Pablo Prigioni
    4. Sarunas Jasikevicius
    5. Theo Papaloukas

For your squad Germany;

Tim Ohlbrecht is a PROSPECT to look at.
    Born in 88, his idol is Dirk and he plays like Dirk.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

He hasn't produced yet, but he's ranked 9th internationally in the 88' class...he was number one before.

I noticed Germany has a pretty tall team. There are 5 players 6'11 or above on Germany. Maybe Dirk will run some point on an all 7 footer line up.

Unfortunately for Germany, this is a guard oriented basketball. Germany would be good in the NBA, but not in FIBA.

The courts are smaller, so less space for bigs to create.
    If Germany had a guard, maybe Hinrich? I don't know why they didn't try to get him. Maybe because policy if you played for USA already you can't play for another team. But Germany would be SICK with Hinrich.

Hinrich/Hamann/Roller
    Greene/Garrett
    Wysocki/Schultze
    Nowitzki/Jagla
    Kaman/Fermerling/Ohlbrecht
    Who do u think from Australia could be solid bench players?

12th man

Brad Newley is definately a guy who I could see be used a 6"6 guard
    David Anderson has been one of the better big men in ACB(Euro)
    Barlow is a 6"9 guard with range.
    Mills plays for a very good college team, could be a potential 2nd rounder.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Brad Newley is definately a guy who I could see be used a 6"6 guard
    David Anderson has been one of the better big men in ACB(Euro)
    Barlow is a 6"9 guard with range.
    Mills plays for a very good college team, could be a potential 2nd rounder.
    I think Newley was on Houstons list at one stage, correct me if im wrong.
    David Barlow played for my team the Sydney Kings for a few years b4 going to Melbourne. The guy can really shoot and is very young.
    Patty Mills will be in the NBA at some stage. I like his game alot.
    I honestly dont know a lot about Andersen but heard he goes alright in his league he is in.

12th man

Originally Posted by Pricey
    I think Newley was on Houstons list at one stage, correct me if im wrong.
    David Barlow played for my team the Sydney Kings for a few years b4 going to Melbourne. The guy can really shoot and is very young.
    Patty Mills will be in the NBA at some stage. I like his game alot.
    I honestly dont know a lot about Andersen but heard he goes alright in his league he is in.

Yeh, ACB is the best pro league behind the NBA, Anderson is one of the premier big men...very solid all around.

I'm rooting for Australia, Iran, and Spain...Spain are the favorites, but Australia reminds me of PR (not style), but a 6th-8th range seed team that could surprise people.

The League is Australia is pretty competitive also, the most competitive in Oceania...I hope it continues to get better, especially with all these American/Puerto Rican exports looking for jobs outside of the Americas.

Yeah the NBL is a pretty good standard. Unfortunatley my side folded this season due to management not paying players and staff and we made the Finals so i was pretty happy. Unfortunatley basketball isnt supported within the corporate sector in Australia as much as other sports. Most companies invest in Australian Rules, Soccer and Cricket. Basketball isnt as big as it use to be over here.

Basketball isnt as big as it use to be over here.
    Same goes for Germany. The football world cup ruined a lot over here. Basketball is pretty much a minority sport. Nowitzki choking in the finals also didn't help much. Bringing in players from the Americas is a good thing to attract a bigger audience but playing international players has become an option that is way too cheap for clubs (cheaper than developing their own players). I think they (the German basketball association) moved in the right direction by starting a U20 farming league two years ago in order to balance out this development. Ohlbrecht is the first player developed in this league that made it into the A1 national team.
    Last edited by pat; Aug 12, 2008 at 05:44.

Yeah the NBL is a pretty good standard. Unfortunatley my side folded this season due to management not paying players and staff and we made the Finals so i was pretty happy. Unfortunatley basketball isnt supported within the corporate sector in Australia as much as other sports. Most companies invest in Australian Rules, Soccer and Cricket. Basketball isnt as big as it use to be over here.
    Sydney Kings?

Im a dragons fan, could definately see Ingles playing as a 6th man.

Barlow was picked by Houston, but not offered a contract.

We looked **** last night against croatia, ****ing bogut couldnt get a rebound, except he is improving alot in the NBA. A 15/10/2 centre at the moment

12th man

Originally Posted by theknicks3
    Sydney Kings?

Im a dragons fan, could definately see Ingles playing as a 6th man.

Barlow was picked by Houston, but not offered a contract.

We looked **** last night against croatia, ****ing bogut couldnt get a rebound, except he is improving alot in the NBA. A 15/10/2 centre at the moment
    South Melbourne Dragons? yeah man they will be good with the influx of Sydney players you got from us and also Brian Goorjan as coach. Should expect to make the playoffs.

Where r u located?

South Melbourne Dragons? yeah man they will be good with the influx of Sydney players you got from us and also Brian Goorjan as coach. Should expect to make the playoffs.

Where r u located?
    yeh Melbourne. Although NBL can't establish itself... I spend most of my team at Melb City Kicks watching live games, and playing pick up

cool, i was in Melbourne for the Collingwood vs Hawthorn game the other week.
    We dont really have anywhere like that in Adelaide, get live games at the Rosemont Hotel but

Man we just crushed Iran, very happy